ADVERTISEMENT

Clarion Open

Brown went 7-17 last year and was a bonus point machine -- for the opponents.

To borrow a phrase: Cael could go across the street to West Halls if he wanted that.
Right now I'm thinking you are overestimating both West Hall and our 125 situation. But like I said, will defer judgement until I see Schnupp on the mat.

Lee up on 3 now against Driscoll (Kent)

Quick TD for Lee...tilts him for 2...Dris gets out and Lee gets another quick 2...tilts again...8-1 after 1

Driscoll takes neutral, he shouts and Lee gets the go behind...he cuts him and takes him down off of another Driscoll shot...stalling on Dris...riding time at 4 mins and it’s 13-2 after 2.

Lee takes down...he’s out and gets the 2 shortly after...let’s him go and gets the go behind for the 18-3 Tech!

Last edited:
Hope you are right.

Kind of surreal that I think LemonPie may be too optimistic here.

Really think we are going to have a extremely difficult time qualifying this weight and my expectations are for a Carpenter like season here. Lot of grit, battle and improvement, but not many wins. Hope I'm wrong.

Walk-ons are multi year projects and Schnupp had the additional impedence of being very undersized - hope that is not the case now. I think Schnupp will eventually be a nice surprise for us and have a good career whether it be as a starter or a guy who competes at opens, but I probably wouldn't have looked at counting on that happening this year.

Again, hope I'm very wrong.

Right now I'm thinking you are overestimating both West Hall and our 125 situation. But like I said, will defer judgement until I see Schnupp on the mat.
Guess I wasn't clear enough: I'm not saying Cael could do better than Brown at West Halls. I am saying that Brown gets pinned and teched a lot, without any significant wins, and that's something Cael could find there.

And what did I say about our 125 situation?

anyone notice that Nick Lee was screwed out of 2 points? Driscol chose neutral in the 2nd. There was a takedown by Lee and a quick push away for a neutral. Driscol got 1 point for the neutral but Lee wasn't given the takedown on the board. The ref called it, but the scorekeeper missed it. Not like they were important points.
just sayin;.

anyone notice that Nick Lee was screwed out of 2 points? Driscol chose neutral in the 2nd. There was a takedown by Lee and a quick push away for a neutral. Driscol got 1 point for the neutral but Lee wasn't given the takedown on the board. The ref called it, but the scorekeeper missed it. Not like they were important points.
just sayin;.

Just gets him a bit more work...

Reactions: diggerpup
Kind of surreal that I think LemonPie may be too optimistic here.

Really think we are going to have a extremely difficult time qualifying this weight and my expectations are for a Carpenter like season here. Lot of grit, battle and improvement, but not many wins. Hope I'm wrong.

Walk-ons are multi year projects and Schnupp had the additional impedence of being very undersized - hope that is not the case now. I think Schnupp will eventually be a nice surprise for us and have a good career whether it be as a starter or a guy who competes at opens, but I probably wouldn't have looked at counting on that happening this year.

Again, hope I'm very wrong.

I mean, I don't think Schnupp is a national qualifier or anything, but I think he's head and shoulders ahead of Lopez and the new kid (who looked awful against Oliver). Schnupp will still get worked on the mat by the good 125 pounders, but he's solid on his feet. I have no clue how big he is right now-- he still looked small at UWW Juniors-- but I'm hopeful he was able to put on a little weight.

I think he loses a close one against Chalifoux. If that's overrating him, then I'll accept that.

Guess I wasn't clear enough: I'm not saying Cael could do better than Brown at West Halls. I am saying that Brown gets pinned and teched a lot, without any significant wins, and that's something Cael could find there.

And what did I say about our 125 situation?

Sorry, missed the humor, I guess I was to busy making rapid fire posts. And that actually is pretty funny. Not quite an El Jefe classic, but classic El Jefe.

Clabaugh on mat 1 now against Massetti from Bloom

Little scramble to start things off with no points either way...Clab attempts a double, not much behind it...0-0 after 1

Clab starts down and he’s out in :22...Clab gets a TD...loose with legs on top and Mass gets out...it ends 3-1 after 2.

Mass takes down and Clab breaks him flat and then throws in a leg...hunts for cradles but stays too loose, still on top...loses him but has 1:01 RT...sprawls big and holds on...another sprawl and a crotch lock to hold on to the 4-2 win.

Last edited:
Carp up on 2 against Driscoll of Clarion

Bullrushed and taken down late in the first, he gets out with :02 on the clock it’s 2-1.

Dris starts down, Carp riding tight for over a minute and a half...he rides him out the whole period and has 1:36 RT.

Carp takes down and gets out in :08...in on a single and gets the TD...RT Locked now...Dris escapes but can’t do anything else - Carp wins it 5-3.

Last edited:
BTW, tremendous prediction on him making the finals here. That's looking very good.

competition being what it is....but the guys are tough relative to their competition on top. lots of action and long rides.

#ourbackupsarebetterthanyours

Is it going to crush the HR when they can't even claim the best 3rd string 149lber in the nation? I mean they held that title for all of one day before Cael set his mind to it.

Shak up on 9 against Gomez from Utah Valley

He gets the TD and looks cradle initially but then tilts for 2...blood time now...Shak cradles and runs out of time

Shak with the first TD in the second and rides him our - RT at 2:31 and it’s 14-2

Shak starts down and gets out in :17, gets a quick TD and the 17-2 Tech!

Last edited:
Lee coming up on 5 now against Thomas

Gets a quick TD (hi c I think)...escape and another TD for Lee...escape...Lee gets another TD on the edge...Lee hit with an illegal hold but not sure what it was...it ends 6-3

Lee takes down and gets to his feet quick but goes out of bounds...he’s out and still holds :46 RT...gets a snap and a misdirection go behind for the 2...cuts him with :30 to go and drives him into the table on a TD attempt but can’t finish...gets the TD off a Thomas shot and it’s 11-4.

Thomas takes down and gets cut...Lee’s sprawl too much and he gets another TD then releases...in on a shot of his own that gets stalemated...with RT it’s a 14-6 major for Lee.

Last edited:
Gotta go parent now...someone please keep me posted on how the rest plays out. As of now off the top of my head...

Clabaugh 1-1
Carpenter 1-1
N. Lee 2-0 all bonus
Pipher 2-0 all pins
J. Lee 2-0 all bonus
Friery 0-1
Shak 2-0 all bonus

Go Lions!!!

Just realized the guy on the bottom half of 141 is former tOSU wrestler, Jose Rodriguez.

I thought Shak had a TD in the 2nd that the scorers missed? Not that it affected the outcome.

Upcoming opponents in quarters:

Nick Lee vs. Ryan Peters - freshman at Buffalo, from Timberlane HS in NH, good HS wrestler

Bo Pipher vs. Kyler Rea - redshirt freshman from WVU, in a battle for the starting spot there and lost to Grant Lamont yesterday in the dual

Joe Lee vs. Georgia Poullas - freshman at Cleveland State, 2x OH State Champ, Ironman Champ, placed high at Flo Nationals last year

Shakur Rasheed vs. Kyle Conel - Kent State - redshirted last year, won a couple of matches at NCAAs his sophomore year. Ranked #19 by Flo right now, but that is too low IMO, he is a R12 type of guy. Maybe better after his RS, who knows.

I think we get 4 semifinalists. Rasheed has a tough one, but I'm all aboard the Shakur train and I think he moves on something like 6-3. Joe Lee has a tough kid as well but I think he moves on as well. Normally I would think Pipher has a tough match, but LemonPie has me believing and I'll go with a pin for the boy wonder. Nick Lee will do what he wants, tech or major or pin, depending on what he is working on.

EDIT - Rasheed is already in the semis and Conel is his semifinal opponent. 197 is ahead of the other weights.

Last edited:
The Clarion folks need to invest in better spray bottles. They are having a heck of a time on blood clean up.

Hate to say this but Cutch has had his time in the sun and Shakur should man 197 this year. Moore and Shakur on Sat. night in Cleveland. We are going to need the bonus potential he provides.

Hate to say this but Cutch has had his time in the sun and Shakur should man 197 this year. Moore and Shakur on Sat. night in Cleveland. We are going to need the bonus potential he provides.
What about Cassar, lol??? Slow down, maybe all three can be AAs, let's let Shakur beat Conel first (I think he will). Whoever goes out there is going to be very good for us and should AA. And if he gets hurt, the next guy should as well. And so on...

Reactions: Antaeus and liex26
Conel is brick house. Looking forward to that match. He was breathing heavy in his quarter, however.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT