ADVERTISEMENT

Mat Town Open II

Seth wrestled the 2020 postseason at B1Gs and was injured the first match. "Career back-up" is more complicated than it appears. LOL.

How about a best one year starter thread? That's clearly defined, right? ;)
Seth Beitz wrestled in the 2020 postseason?

He was a freshman in 2010-2011. You’re gonna have to help me understand his 10 years of eligibility and lack of an appearance on the 2019-2020 roster.

Seth Beitz wrestled in the 2020 postseason?

He was a freshman in 2010-2011. You’re gonna have to help me understand his 10 years of eligibility and lack of an appearance on the 2019-2020 roster.

My bad, read that as Big Snacks and not Beitz.

Reactions: mcpat
I believe you started the argument.
the big bang theory sheldon GIF

My bad, read that as Big Snacks and not Beitz.
I thought maybe but then you talked about his brother Zack, which really threw me for a loop.

Regardless… Seth Beitz (“bites”) and Big Snacks… close enough.

Gonna have to disagree on that definition.

If you beat out the starter for the postseason, sure. But if you got the job because the starter was injured, you may have done very well, maybe even better than the starter would've, but you weren't the starter.

Andrew Johnson served as President but never won the job. He was Lincoln's backup.
Abe Lincoln mentioned twice in the past 2 weeks. Is this a sign for Levi Haines?

In the Shak vs Cassar discussion for the NCAA tournament, I think a factor to consider is the difficulty Anthony would have making weight for three days. That kind of cutting is probably what kept the Bull from ever making the finals.

2 year starter? Are you considering his last year at 197 ( 2018, Moore win) a starter? Cael himself couldn't decide who our starter was and we didn't know until days from B10's that Shak would go in posteseason.

Was Cassar in another postseason?

Who had more matches in 2018 season, Shak or Cassar?

How many years do you need to start to be a starter?

Gonna have to disagree on that definition.

If you beat out the starter for the postseason, sure. But if you got the job because the starter was injured, you may have done very well, maybe even better than the starter would've, but you weren't the starter.

Andrew Johnson served as President but never won the job. He was Lincoln's backup.
Yea I think Lincoln missed some time to a head injury if I'm not mistaken.

This feels like last year when they left Levi's 6th match for Iowa.

I strongly lean Evans getting the shot at D'Emilio against OSU.

Cael did admit Mat Town it was a strong data point for the decision, but didn't decide to reveal whether he's made a decision or not. I suspect there may be more at play here than we can guess from on the mat action only. My videos will be up on BSD soon...

Or he knows and they are just not ready to tell the world…. I mean Kasak has beaten Evan’s 2 times already this year..
This is all just silly. Cael just doesn't like to know and tell. He's laughing his butt off right now.

There is only one realistic and justifiable reason to sit Kasak this year, and that was, if and I mean even then a big if, Evans was beating Kasak consistently both in the room and outside. That ain't the case.

Unless Kasak is on a trajectory to both drop back down to 141 and beat Beau next year, then he needs to preserve his redshirt.

PS - I am pretty sure Beau still has his Redshirt as well ;-)

Reactions: Ski
There is only one realistic and justifiable reason to sit Kasak this year, and that was, if and I mean even then a big if, Evans was beating Kasak consistently both in the room and outside.
I'll play the role of our emeritus reminderer of these things (Roar): I'm not saying this is it by any means--I have 0 insider info on the matter--but remember that these are college kids that we're dealing with, and there are many factors in life that have nothing to do with wrestling at play with coaching decisions.

PS - I am pretty sure Beau still has his Redshirt as well ;-)
That's correct, 2021 didn't count then 22-24 all counts. He can in theory RS and go 2025-2026.

Our guys who have their redshirts after this season:
Davis
Bartlett
Kasak
Haines
Kerkvliet (I think since he enrolled in an Olympic year and didn't wrestle, he effectively used an ORS to cover)

SVN will get this year back if he is interested but that's a bridge to cross in 2026 lol

Cael did admit Mat Town it was a strong data point for the decision, but didn't decide to reveal whether he's made a decision or not. I suspect there may be more at play here than we can guess from on the mat action only. My videos will be up on BSD soon...
Kasak could go to Edinboro to get some more matches and solidify his ability to be seeded. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get the nod after this weekend considering the recruiting classes coming in.

Kasak could go to Edinboro to get some more matches and solidify his ability to be seeded. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get the nod after this weekend considering the recruiting classes coming in.
From today's press availability, Cael said they currently have no plans to send any potential starters to any more opens. I can see truth in the theory that Evans gets one more start as pay-off for his efforts on Friday, and see Tyler go in I.C. and onward. Or maybe Evans against all our prognostication is the guy for reasons. But your opinion seems perfectly reasonable too on its surface.

Last edited:
From today's press availability, Cael said they currently have no plans to send any potential starters to any more opens. I can see truth in the theory that Evans gets one more start as pay-off for his efforts on Friday, and see Tyler go in I.C. and onward. Or maybe Evans against all our prognostication is the guy for reasons. But your opinion seems perfectly reasonable too on its surface.
If Kasak is the man, then he needs to go every match. He needs all the matches to get to 15 if he’s not going to any more tourneys. Maybe they can give Evans a match at 141 after Iowa if he can make that weight still.

Reactions: mcpat
Or he knows and they are just not ready to tell the world…. I mean Kasak has beaten Evan’s 2 times already this year..
I do remember that Mark Hall wanted to wrestle his freshman year, but his father wanted him to redshirt. Only after the Sothern Scuffle did his father relent. Many times there are reasons we might not think about that are in play.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
I do remember that Mark Hall wanted to wrestle his freshman year, but his father wanted him to redshirt. Only after the Sothern Scuffle did his father relent. Many times there are reasons we might not think about that are in play.
So many unknowns…

- what’s happening in the room? Is it back and forth?

- does Kasak want to preserve the redshirt? Can he and Beau work it out with Beau’s shirt?

- what did the 4-2 win on Sunday look like? Was Evans in deep and Kasak hit a low percentage move? We have no idea.

- do the coaches see points or do they see R16? If they don’t see points, you preserve the shirt

Totally agree that freshman Kasak has more upside, but it’s as close as close can be. SV and 4-2, in a match we didn’t see, and let’s not forget Evans had one more match that day. Five matches in one day is no joke.

(I’m not Evans’ Dad. Really. Just like the underdog story. Also read that his sr yr in high school, coach told him to stay at 132 and he said no - he wanted to drop and wrestle the best. He lost 6-3 to Crookham and 8-5 to Arrington at states. Check the current NCAA rankings for those guys.)

Reactions: RealMicah
Man, next year is going to be a logjam 141 through 165 when Van Ness and Facundo are back..

Although I wonder if Facundo goes up to 174 (assuming as it appears Carter doesn't go for five).

Also read that his sr yr in high school, coach told him to stay at 132 and he said no - he wanted to drop and wrestle the best. He lost 6-3 to Crookham and 8-5 to Arrington at states. Check the current NCAA rankings for those guys.
That 126 bracket also included Levi (2nd) and Pierce (7th).

Evans would not have been favored to win 132. He lost to 132 AA champ Brock McMillan 6-1 earlier in the year and 5-0 two years before. He would've been on the same side of the bracket as 2x finalist Ian Oswalt. Still would've been easier than the path he chose.

Man, next year is going to be a logjam 141 through 165 when Van Ness and Facundo are back..

Although I wonder if Facundo goes up to 174 (assuming as it appears Carter doesn't go for five).
Don't wonder too much.
"Sanderson said Facundo has been working toward transitioning to a new weight class." (article dated 11/16/2023)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT