ADVERTISEMENT

Cenzo VS IMAR, ESPN + IRONHEAD

Watching this again two things are clear: (1) IMar was totally gassed and unable to compete in the third period. (2) Cenzo put out his hand for the usual handshake and IMar walked away.

I doubt IMar will be able to come back from this match.

Reactions: richmin3
Fantastic post. I enjoyed it. I thought Perry reaction said it all. If you remember when Nolf decked Imar the Illinois coaches were more animated because it was off a scramble. This time it looked more like they just watched an execution.

Watching this again two things are clear: (1) IMar was totally gassed and unable to compete in the third period. (2) Cenzo put out his hand for the usual handshake and IMar walked away.

I doubt IMar will be able to come back from this match.
I would be absolutely shocked if he is not able to come back from this.

And better improve that gas tank!

Reactions: SJP80 and Grass
Yes he did and I wouldn't expect anything less from a Champion like IMar. He got beat, was stunned, but has always been a good sport.

Plus the referee always makes sure a handshake happens and if an athlete won't do it, a team point is assessed. Ask Terry Brands all about it ...

That was awesome, lol.

Jeff at the end of the match:

images

Last edited:
Imagine only losing two matches your entire career, and both times, you lose to a guy from Penn State, and both times, you get pinned.

What are the odds of that?

Great family photo...

Will work well on Christmas Cards
33524669475_0a81588daa_h.jpg

Is that Cenzo's Grandfather standing up in the blue?

Crop that pic to narrow in on 3 or all 4 and that will make a great wall hanging photo or a standup pic in the trophy case.

Looks like Cenzo's family was not in the temporary stands as I thought. I recall him running up through them but didn't realize he kept going into the lower level. My bad on that one.

That is a fantastic shot!

Is that Seth Nevills to the right of Joseph's mom in the blue PSU shirt?
Yes. AJ was there too, sitting (I think) in front of Cenzo's parents, in a white Franklin Gomez t-shirt, though he's not in these pics

I like how Byers' excitement goes up a notch on "pin." His excitement level was already at 11 and he somehow found 12.

Both pins of IMar--Nolf's and now Cenzo's--seemed possible to fight off and were of the type that D1 guys routinely fight off. Neither were cradles; he had his legs available in both. Nolf's pin was especially precarious. I get that he doesn't spend a lot of time on his back and probably doesn't practice it but it's still pretty odd that someone who is that good from every position couldn't fight off his back in the two opportunities he's been presented with.

I hope this match doesn't get wrongly remembered as one where Cenzo just "caught him" and got lucky because just as impressive as the inside trip was the fact that Cenzo was in control of that match, getting the last two takedowns. He'd just gotten out from underneath to start the third in five seconds, preserving a minute on the RT clock. Momentum was going in one direction at that point, and if Cenzo didn't get the pin he seemed headed for a decision, maybe capped by a counter of an IMar shot in a sloppy final 30 seconds.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
I like how Byers' excitement goes up a notch on "pin." His excitement level was already at 11 and he somehow found 12.

Both pins of IMar--Nolf's and now Cenzo's--seemed possible to fight off and were of the type that D1 guys routinely fight off. Neither were cradles; he had his legs available in both. Nolf's pin was especially precarious. I get that he doesn't spend a lot of time on his back and probably doesn't practice it but it's still pretty odd that someone who is that good from every position couldn't fight off his back in the two opportunities he's been presented with.

I hope this match doesn't get wrongly remembered as one where Cenzo just "caught him" and got lucky because just as impressive as the inside trip was the fact that Cenzo was in control of that match, getting the last two takedowns. He'd just gotten out from underneath to start the third in five seconds, preserving a minute on the RT clock. Momentum was going in one direction at that point, and if Cenzo didn't get the pin he seemed headed for a decision, maybe capped by a counter of an IMar shot in a sloppy final 30 seconds.
Part of the reason Nolf pinned him was landing knee to jaw on his face.

Cenzo "caught" Martinez in the sense Q did to Gambrall: both guys landed on their shoulders where only a 1-count was required for the pin.

But let's make no mistake about this: Martinez was not caught. Cenzo tried the same move at least 2x before it worked -- in the first (became the shrug for Cenzo's first takedown), and a few seconds before the stick. Both times Cenzo had double overs, stepped in, but couldn't get the trip and had to step back out. Third time was the charm.

This was scouting and preparation, not getting caught.

Part of the reason Nolf pinned him was landing knee to jaw on his face.

Cenzo "caught" Martinez in the sense Q did to Gambrall: both guys landed on their shoulders where only a 1-count was required for the pin.

But let's make no mistake about this: Martinez was not caught. Cenzo tried the same move at least 2x before it worked -- in the first (became the shrug for Cenzo's first takedown), and a few seconds before the stick. Both times Cenzo had double overs, stepped in, but couldn't get the trip and had to step back out. Third time was the charm.

This was scouting and preparation, not getting caught.
Yeah, agreed fully. To be clear I wasn't suggesting he got caught, just imagining how revisionist history will play out.

But why didn't Byers make 11 his highest level and make 12, 11? ;)

Reactions: Dogwelder

Cenzo didn't catch Imar, he threw him to his back and pinned him fair and square. To me, 'catching' somebody is more in some type of crazy scramble situation where a wrestler just ends up in a bad spot by mostly dumb luck. It wasn't luck when MM threw Bo to his back last year, Bo went for a move and MM countered it. Same happened with Cenzo. I think where IMar screwed up is he greatly underestimated Cenzo's strength. I would bet Cenzo has been in that position 100+ times before and always came out on top. But Cenzo not only countered Imar's throw attempt but overpowered Imar and threw him down. Imar never came up against a wrestler before that could do that most likely.

Cenzo didn't catch Imar, he threw him to his back and pinned him fair and square. To me, 'catching' somebody is more in some type of crazy scramble situation where a wrestler just ends up in a bad spot by mostly dumb luck. It wasn't luck when MM threw Bo to his back last year, Bo went for a move and MM countered it. Same happened with Cenzo. I think where IMar screwed up is he greatly underestimated Cenzo's strength. I would bet Cenzo has been in that position 100+ times before and always came out on top. But Cenzo not only countered Imar's throw attempt but overpowered Imar and threw him down. Imar never came up against a wrestler before that could do that most likely.

The difference wasn't that Cenzo threw him. The difference is that Cenzo is the only one who wasn't rolled through by Imar's core strength. Cenzo has the same core strength at Imar, and he held the move with great instinct, strength, and technique.

Imar's been thrown plenty of times and usually he rolls through and plants the opponent, or kips up and out of it, as he did to Miller in the semi's last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT