ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark

That’s easy!
The objective of the game is to have more points than the other team when time expires. There are hundreds of strategies to reach that objective.
The fact her coach selected the strategy Iowa uses means that coach believes it is the best chance for her team to win.
And the fact Iowa wins so many games proves that coach knows what the hell she is doing.
Caitlin Clark plays the way she has been instructed to play so her team has its best chance at success.
“Ball hog” infers selfish play. She is anything but that. Anyone who thinks otherwise has a sub-zero basketball IQ.

This was brilliant prose. Break it out, into short paragraphs in my opinion and I’m no language or grammar guy and I really hardly even care anymore but I like things that are easy to read lol.

She has the 8th best shooting percentage on her team and 3rd best 3-point shooting. She’s taken more shots than than any player in women’s basketball his year and nearly 30% more than the next highest player. Her assist to turnover ratio is barely in the top 100, her assist to shot ratio is below what you would expect for a guard. She’s quite literally a ball hog. Iowa would be a better team if Caitlin shot less. However, she’s making some bank off of NIL and she’s going to milk it for as much as possible.
“She’s quite literally a ball hog. Iowa would be a better team if Caitlin shot less.“

Say what?!?!?
If you delete that post soon, we’ll pretend we didn’t read it and give you as pass.
“Better team…”
Good grief!!!

“She’s quite literally a ball hog. Iowa would be a better team if Caitlin shot less.“

Say what?!?!?
If you delete that post soon, we’ll pretend we didn’t read it and give you as pass.
“Better team…”
Good grief!!!

I get it, "you no good with maths", as the yinzers say.

It's like I kicked your dog or something. You don't need to get so offended.
Carryover from the Test Board. It is what it is.

That being said, she is a remarkable player. I like the fact that there is a thread about her, with people expressing appreciation for her obvious talents. Mens' basketball and womens' basketball are truly two different games. You have to appreciate the womens' game for what it is, and it is something different from the mens' game..

Reactions: cmhawks99
ILEA000595583
Hey dad, I got cast in a big Hollywood movie. I play a female athlete! The casting coordinator said it will be really good exposure for me."

She has the 8th best shooting percentage on her team and 3rd best 3-point shooting. She’s taken more shots than than any player in women’s basketball his year and nearly 30% more than the next highest player. Her assist to turnover ratio is barely in the top 100, her assist to shot ratio is below what you would expect for a guard. She’s quite literally a ball hog. Iowa would be a better team if Caitlin shot less. However, she’s making some bank off of NIL and she’s going to milk it for as much as possible.

And she is playing the way she has been asked to play & she’s adaptable. The FG %, on her “own team” …WTH?

Holy shit, how many times do you think Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant lead their teams in field goal percentage?!?! What the holy hell!!

There are so many tangential things that have to be figured in there to even make your numbers relevant…

Useage rate, effective FG %, offensive efficiency, +|- rate…hell I’m hardly a stats guy, but seriously brother?!

Reactions: bison13
Her assists are a function of how much she holds the ball, you absolute dolt.

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

Talk about a stupid hill to die on.

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

It is quite possibly the dumbest rationale I’ve ever heard, Billy Madison even knows it. Lol

I've never seen anyone this clueless about a sport and we had people here that believed the offense was elite early in the season.

Yes, and although I noticed she was called “average“ and believe me I get the premise, so I’m not taking umbrage at that but she is an Uber athletic energizer bunny. That was a four star recruit and has had some pretty good games… But honestly, at some point in time as she’s running rim to rim, you would’ve thought they would’ve accounted for her….🤷‍♂️

Her biggest issue is she’s missed a few games for injury and she’s had quite a bit of foul trouble… when she’s allowed to run up and down the court at will & not have to play a ton of defense. She’s a handful.
She is an average player…she’s usually not a great shooter and she doesn’t have great hands. No way any team should ever allow her to score 47.

She’s a mega ball hog, prove me wrong
I guess Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Steph Curry, and anyone else who scores the bulk of their team’s points is a ball hog. If you have someone who’s great at rebounding, you want them to rebound. If you have someone who’s great at passing, you want them getting assists. If you have someone who’s great at scoring (and that’s a pretty rare thing), you want them to score. Everyone has a role and some have the role of scorer. Calling them a ball hog is what jealous middle schoolers do.

If she shot less, they’d be a .500 team.

She is an average player…she’s usually not a great shooter and she doesn’t have great hands. No way any team should ever allow her to score 47.

Well she is a sophomore, and has been shooting 62% for the year, so there’s that and I’m not sure a team should really allow anyone to sting them for 40 plus, right?

Well she is a sophomore, and has been shooting 62% for the year, so there’s that and I’m not sure a team should really allow anyone to sting them for 40 plus, right?
Certainly not someone who’s only broke 20 a few times. And I am aware she’s a sophomore, so she will get better, but I’m talking about her now. She is definitely not a player that any team should allow to sore 47 points. I’d rather give up 50 to Clark and lose than get beat by Stuelke.

Okay, a simple wrong would have done just fine.

Certainly not someone who’s only broke 20 a few times. And I am aware she’s a sophomore, so she will get better, but I’m talking about her now. She is definitely not a player that any team should allow to sore 47 points. I’d rather give up 50 to Clark and lose than get beat by Stuelke.

Well, both those results are the same outcome and they both suck lol…

But I get your premise🤷‍♂️ I think in either scenario I’d be frustrated.

I haven’t watched much of Caitlin Clark, so I watched the game last night. She is pretty unbelievable. Ended up with 38 points, 12 assists, and 6 rebounds. Definitely a generational talent. A couple of things I noticed in general…women players shoot threes better than they shoot layups…and they travel a lot. PSU women play Iowa next….I guess the goal is to keep Clark under 40.
The women's ball is smaller

The women's ball is smaller
I am aware…I coached a few years in girls basketball. I’ve also shot that sized basketball many times. It is easier to shoot, but it’s also easier to shoot it from two feet away, so the smaller ball doesn’t explain why they shoot threes better than layups.

I am aware…I coached a few years in girls basketball. I’ve also shot that sized basketball many times. It is easier to shoot, but it’s also easier to shoot it from two feet away, so the smaller ball doesn’t explain why they shoot threes better than layups.
Because they play with it all the time?

Reactions: bison13
I spent some time as the division, three coach, specifically a shooting coach. The size of the ball is smaller than men’s, but hand size is a very definite variable in the situation. Generally those with smaller hands do a little bit better job of shooting the ball more consistently provided they have solid mechanics.

Reactions: psrurock
In the least shocking news ever, Clark came up a wee bit shy of the record against Nebraska.

So it all comes down to the next game at home.

LdN

In the least shocking news ever, Clark came up a wee bit shy of the record against Nebraska.

So it all comes down to the next game at home.

LdN
She had a rough fourth quarter…I think she was as surprised as everyone else when Nebraska came back from being down 14 and she forced some shots. Nebraska played a hell of a game…they have some shooters.

She needed 8 points to break the record and has 23 at the end of the first quarter. She’s amazing.

28 points and 8 assists in the first half.
Just an incredible talent but I also wouldn't be one bit surprised to see both OSU and Indiana go farther in the NCAA tournament. I think the surprise team this year in the tournament will be Indiana who gets overlooked by both Iowa and OSU.

Just an incredible talent but I also wouldn't be one bit surprised to see both OSU and Indiana go farther in the NCAA tournament. I think the surprise team this year in the tournament will be Indiana who gets overlooked by both Iowa and OSU.
Iowa’s lack of defense will kill them.

Reactions: rrdd2021
They don't play above the rim like men do, hence the reason they shoot 3's better.

I am happy for her that she broke the record taking a long range three instead of something easy, like a foul shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT