ADVERTISEMENT

BWI Wise Guys handicapping thread.....

Thank you to whoever started the wind/rain post. I am usually more on top of the weather forecasts. I just noticed rain showers in Illinois, Michigan, and Iowa with up to 20 mph wind. The wind is huge. I'm checking to see how many more states/games will be affected and planning to bet tons of unders. Will probably parlay a few as well.

Anyone have a good handle on the midwest forecast?

Thank you to whoever started the wind/rain post. I am usually more on top of the weather forecasts. I just noticed rain showers in Illinois, Michigan, and Iowa with up to 20 mph wind. The wind is huge. I'm checking to see how many more states/games will be affected and planning to bet tons of unders. Will probably parlay a few as well.

Grant so what are you thinking? I like the parlay idea but I usually don't give as much credence to the weather, well, mainly because the defense also has to play in it...

Miami to cover????

It has been scattered showers for two days here in KC. Not much wind or thunder, though.

Grant so what are you thinking? I like the parlay idea but I usually don't give as much credence to the weather, well, mainly because the defense also has to play in it...
Wind will affect the offense much more than the defense. It can be a bigger factor than rain - look for anything over about 9-10mph. It makes the passing game difficult, and the clock ticks more when teams run more (and the defense will know the run is coming). Here are the games that it can affect - PSU, UM/MSU, Iowa/Ill, Purdue/Minn, No. Ill/Kent st, E Mich/Toledo, Maryland/Ohio St (Maryland down to 3rd QB).

Miami to cover????
It seems like this game always comes down to a late FG. Miami's offense is really good, but FSU has to be primed for this game. No opinion on the side, but I took under 48.5 early in the week.
It has been scattered showers for two days here in KC. Not much wind or thunder, though.
Thanks. I think the stormy weather is supposed to roll through the midwest on Fri-Sat. Looks like mostly showers, but windy.

Tulsa +4.5 over Tulane. 3rd week in a row facing an option team, so they should be used to it. I think that is too many points to give to Tulsa. Should be closer to +2.5.

I hate to go against the UGA moneymaker, but seems like this may be their flat spot against a Vandy team that isn't as bad as it looked vs Bama. I got it at +17.5.

I'm starting to get on board with Oregon +2.5, but prefer to get 3 if it goes up. They lost their starting QB, but may not be a big drop off to the 2nd (may be injured too) or 3rd guy. Royce Freeman looks good to go. Jim Leavitt has really improved the UO defense, especially against the pass, which is all that WSU does. Very bad spot for WSU off a huge win and a night game at Autzen. I already got under 64 on this one too.

It's a big number, but I'm leaning ND -15 against UNC. Wimbush should be back and UNC is banged up big time.

I normally love picking MSU vs UM ats, but MSU is off two tough games and UM is off a bye. I don't think that there is a drop off to O'Korn and you know that Harbaugh would love to stick it to Sparty at home. Would love to get -9.5, but don't think it will drop that low.

Reactions: Sharkies
I'm on ND -13, TCU -13, UF/LSU Under 43.5, UAB moneyline (+290), Kansas State +7, Michigan -11, Colorado -7, Utah +3.5, Cal +28, SDSU -10, and finally...Wisconsin -11 for all the money.

I'm on ND -13, TCU -13, UF/LSU Under 43.5, UAB moneyline (+290), Kansas State +7, Michigan -11, Colorado -7, Utah +3.5, Cal +28, SDSU -10, and finally...Wisconsin -11 for all the money.
Nice. I'm with you on nd, tcu, kst, colo, and sdsu. I am not feeling good about sdsu though. Unlv has a potent rush attack and sdsu hasn't been as good as I thought against the run. I'm thinking of grabbing UM if the line drops. Also kind of like cal in a bounce back, but two weeks in a row on the road is making me hesitate

ATS: 6-4 plus a +290 moneyline winner. I'll take it. Though I would've really liked Cal to snap the ball better on the last second FG to get an undeserved backdoor on the final line of +28.5 I had.

After a 6-3 week last week, I skidded to a 4-4 week this week that was only helped by Utah's late score to cover. Someday, I'll stop betting teams like Kentucky because I'm betting AGAINST crap teams like Missouri.

ATS: 6-4 plus a +290 moneyline winner. I'll take it. Though I would've really liked Cal to snap the ball better on the last second FG to get an undeserved backdoor on the final line of +28.5 I had.
What in the world was Wilcox doing kicking that field goal? Was he trying to cover? Really weird. Funny because there was a later cover by Utah where they botched the snap on the xp and the kicker barely got the ball over the cross bar.

What in the world was Wilcox doing kicking that field goal? Was he trying to cover? Really weird. Funny because there was a later cover by Utah where they botched the snap on the xp and the kicker barely got the ball over the cross bar.

I couldn't believe when he called TO with 1 second left. I guess he thinks the kick team needs work (a position strongly supported by the attempt).

Did you make your parlay? Of the 7 games I posted, the under went 4-3 and one of the 3 losses was a horrible beat in the Purdue/Minny game. Game was delayed by weather and was 13 points under the total with less than 2 min left. Purdue scores a TD and then Minny drives the field only to throw a 75 yd pick 6 on 4th down with seconds left. Ouch.

Did you make your parlay? Of the 7 games I posted, the under went 4-3 and one of the 3 losses was a horrible beat in the Purdue/Minny game. Game was delayed by weather and was 13 points under the total with less than 2 min left. Purdue scores a TD and then Minny drives the field only to throw a 75 yd pick 6 on 4th down with seconds left. Ouch.

Na -- freaking Iowa decided to bust out the offense... is what it is. Guess our offense is a lot better than people give it credit, will be interesting to see the line vs. UMich. Gotta think we'll be favored probably -3.

Na -- freaking Iowa decided to bust out the offense... is what it is. Guess our offense is a lot better than people give it credit, will be interesting to see the line vs. UMich. Gotta think we'll be favored probably -3.
I think you did a 3 teamer. Man, those are tough to hit. I tuned into Iowa and noticed that the wind was not blowing as hard as predicted. I thought that would have been one of the solid unders.
I will bet the farm at PSU -3. I think it will be between -10.5 and -13.5. It's a night game, so I would lean more toward -13.5.

Wow, really. I'll be on that.Night game at Beav is worth 5 points in my opinion. Not to mention, revenge spot, injured Speight and PSU off a bye.
Be careful about the "off a bye". It is rarely an advantage. Just look at Michigan last week. Historically BIG teams have losing records after byes. Jim Tressel was below .500 after byes despite an overall winning percentage of about .800... I might be wrong and dont have the time to research more thoroughly historically, but I really think you guys could make money betting against teams coming off of byes.

Be careful about the "off a bye". It is rarely an advantage. Just look at Michigan last week. Historically BIG teams have losing records after byes. Jim Tressel was below .500 after byes despite an overall winning percentage of about .800... I might be wrong and dont have the time to research more thoroughly historically, but I really think you guys could make money betting against teams coming off of byes.
I disagree. A good coach getting an extra week to prepare and an extra week of rest for players is an edge. You may not see a statistical advantage ATS because this is usually already built into the spread. When I originate spreads, I typically give an extra point for the bye. I will agree that not all coaches are good enough to take advantage of the bye, but the good ones are.

Alright folks. Take it for what it's worth, but here are some weather tidbits.
Rain at times and Wind 8-14mph in Madison, Badgers vs Purdue
Showers and wind up to 15mph in Manhattan, KS, TCU at KSU
Hot and 15mph wind in Stillwater, Baylor at OSU
Super hot and 8-10mph wind in Dallas for UT vs OU. Texas runs the ball a lot.
Thunderstorms and 10mph wind in Miami. May not affect GTech as much?
85 and 15mph wind in Tulsa for Houston at Tulsa

Games I've been tracking this week...

WVU -3 1/2 vs. Texas Tech....would like to see that one come back to 3 where it was earlier in the week
NC State -11 at Pitt...red flag because of NC State not covering at home against Syracuse but their defense should shut Pitt down pretty good
Duke +7 vs. FSU...would love to see that go to 7 1/2. FSU had problems with Wake on the road and jury is still out on them overall
MD +3 1/2 vs. NW...thinking of taking the money line on this one as well. Throw out the Twerps demolition by OSU, they're not in their class. This is more their speed.
Texas +7 vs. Oklahoma...this game was at 8 on Wednesday night and I thought it might keep rising. Horns have played this particular game with a chip on their shoulder the last 3 years and kept it within 7 points (or won outright 2 years ago) in that span.
Arizona +1 vs UCLA...hard to bet on a team that has a poor defense, especially one going on the road against a guy that ran for 300+ yards from the QB position last week.
San Diego State -7 vs. Boise...Penny is the real deal, SD State's defense is pretty stout, and I don't trust Boise on the road as I still have their stinkbomb from the Virginia game caught in my head.

Games I've been tracking this week...

WVU -3 1/2 vs. Texas Tech....would like to see that one come back to 3 where it was earlier in the week
NC State -11 at Pitt...red flag because of NC State not covering at home against Syracuse but their defense should shut Pitt down pretty good
Duke +7 vs. FSU...would love to see that go to 7 1/2. FSU had problems with Wake on the road and jury is still out on them overall
MD +3 1/2 vs. NW...thinking of taking the money line on this one as well. Throw out the Twerps demolition by OSU, they're not in their class. This is more their speed.
Texas +7 vs. Oklahoma...this game was at 8 on Wednesday night and I thought it might keep rising. Horns have played this particular game with a chip on their shoulder the last 3 years and kept it within 7 points (or won outright 2 years ago) in that span.
Arizona +1 vs UCLA...hard to bet on a team that has a poor defense, especially one going on the road against a guy that ran for 300+ yards from the QB position last week.
San Diego State -7 vs. Boise...Penny is the real deal, SD State's defense is pretty stout, and I don't trust Boise on the road as I still have their stinkbomb from the Virginia game caught in my head.
I nabbed wvu at 3 yesterday. I don't trust cliff Kingsbury to coach a good game in a somewhat hostile environment
With you on duke. Fsu has issues and off a rough loss. Waiting for 7.5 as well

Don't like md. They could be down to their 4th qb. Risky play

Already got sdsu too. Big coaching edge and bsu is on the decline

Thus far:

Winners -- West Virginia and Duke (went to 7 1/2 on my site for about 2 hours yesterday)
Losers -- Army (impulse buy)
Pending -- Texas (ouch), Twerps (money line & spread)

Likely looking at SD State (down to -5 1/2), Arizona (+2 1/2), and South Florida (both -24 game and -14 1/2 halftime). But no decisions made on that yet.

Canes are going to struggle w/ Tech on both sides of the ball all day long it looks like.

Thus far:

Winners -- West Virginia and Duke (went to 7 1/2 on my site for about 2 hours yesterday)
Losers -- Army (impulse buy)
Pending -- Texas (ouch), Twerps (money line & spread)

Likely looking at SD State (down to -5 1/2), Arizona (+2 1/2), and South Florida (both -24 game and -14 1/2 halftime). But no decisions made on that yet.

Barring a miracle comeback by SD State, I'll take a 6-4 day. Got bailed out at the half by USF. Almost hopped on Sparty but that one turned bad late. Twerps are just a bad team right now and I'm looking forward to PSU killing them. Not sure how UCLA can ever be favored when they have zero defense.

Alright folks. Take it for what it's worth, but here are some weather tidbits.
Rain at times and Wind 8-14mph in Madison, Badgers vs Purdue
Showers and wind up to 15mph in Manhattan, KS, TCU at KSU
Hot and 15mph wind in Stillwater, Baylor at OSU
Super hot and 8-10mph wind in Dallas for UT vs OU. Texas runs the ball a lot.
Thunderstorms and 10mph wind in Miami. May not affect GTech as much?
85 and 15mph wind in Tulsa for Houston at Tulsa

5-1 to the under on these games. That's 9-4 for weather related unders the past two weeks and would be 10-3 if Purdue doesn't go pick six at end of game last week. Weather matters.

My limits were $25 so didn't make much of a difference.
Is it $25 limit for everyone for the look ahead lines?

Do you use any other sites? The freaking bookmaker server keeps failing right before early college and NFL games for me. It has cost me a number of bets this season (most would have won). Super frustrating. I'm thinking of switching.

Is it $25 limit for everyone for the look ahead lines?

Do you use any other sites? The freaking bookmaker server keeps failing right before early college and NFL games for me. It has cost me a number of bets this season (most would have won). Super frustrating. I'm thinking of switching.
I think the standard limit for those is $500.

Yes, I use a bunch of sites.

Reactions: Grant Green
If anyone still cares, your weekly weather outlook:
Wisky vs MD. Spotty showers in Madison, but wind anywhere from 15 to 25mph. Accu says gusts up to 36mph. Run, run, run..
Miami vs Syr. Showers, wind ~15mph, gusts up to 20
Wash St vs Colorado, occasional rain, mid to upper 40s, 10-15mph wind

+38.5 Kansas at TCU - Last 5 years:
TCU 24 - KU 23
KU 17 - TCU 23
TCU 34 - KU 30
KU 17 - TCU 27
TCU 20 - KU 6

I posted in another thread, but here is again
In last 122 games, teams with win pct of at least 70% are 84-38 ATS when off a bye and laying less than 10 points. The record is even better when the other team also has win pct of 70pct or more

If anyone still cares, your weekly weather outlook:
Wisky vs MD. Spotty showers in Madison, but wind anywhere from 15 to 25mph. Accu says gusts up to 36mph. Run, run, run..
Miami vs Syr. Showers, wind ~15mph, gusts up to 20
Wash St vs Colorado, occasional rain, mid to upper 40s, 10-15mph wind

+38.5 Kansas at TCU - Last 5 years:
TCU 24 - KU 23
KU 17 - TCU 23
TCU 34 - KU 30
KU 17 - TCU 27
TCU 20 - KU 6

I posted in another thread, but here is again
In last 122 games, teams with win pct of at least 70% are 84-38 ATS when off a bye and laying less than 10 points. The record is even better when the other team also has win pct of 70pct or more
Thanks bro. Excellent intel.

I'm playing New Mexico this Fri night vs Colo. State. Lobos 11-4 in last 15 at home SU. Coming off loss to Fresno, and even better after a loss historically last 22 games.

Reactions: Grant Green
I know all about that TCU-Kansas history but even with that inflated number, there's no way I could ever put a cent on a horrifically-bad team like Kansas in a road game.

Games I've had my eye on and watching the numbers this week:

OK State -7 at Texas -- not sure if Texas D can handle that multi-talented Pokes offense.
Louisville +7 at Florida State -- I know they just lost a home game to BC but there's nothing that I've seen out of FSU that makes me think they're gonna blow out the Cards.
Oregon +6 1/2 at UCLA -- I'd like this one to move up another half point. Can't trust a team with no defense and even though Oregon is dealing with a backup QB, they're still an Oregon offense.
Georgia Tech -6 1/2 vs. Wake -- not sure why this one hasn't moved since it opened. I don't think Wake is gonna be able to handle the GT spread option and their offense isn't the caliber of Miami's.

Colorado State-New Mexico over-under is around 59 1/2-60. I'd be inclined to take the over given CSU's up-tempo offense and New Mexico's affinity to giving up points. Hell, Nevada put 40+ on CSU last week on the road.

I know all about that TCU-Kansas history but even with that inflated number, there's no way I could ever put a cent on a horrifically-bad team like Kansas in a road game.

Games I've had my eye on and watching the numbers this week:

OK State -7 at Texas -- not sure if Texas D can handle that multi-talented Pokes offense.
Louisville +7 at Florida State -- I know they just lost a home game to BC but there's nothing that I've seen out of FSU that makes me think they're gonna blow out the Cards.
Oregon +6 1/2 at UCLA -- I'd like this one to move up another half point. Can't trust a team with no defense and even though Oregon is dealing with a backup QB, they're still an Oregon offense.
Georgia Tech -6 1/2 vs. Wake -- not sure why this one hasn't moved since it opened. I don't think Wake is gonna be able to handle the GT spread option and their offense isn't the caliber of Miami's.

Colorado State-New Mexico over-under is around 59 1/2-60. I'd be inclined to take the over given CSU's up-tempo offense and New Mexico's affinity to giving up points. Hell, Nevada put 40+ on CSU last week on the road.
I don't think I can ever bet on a Jim Mora team again. God he is awful, but Scrap's run defense is not helping at all. Oregon does have a good rushing attack with Royce Freeman. If that number gets to 7, I'll take it and may even take the +6.5 if it stays.

I've been on Texas a lot this season and think they are still a bit underrated, but I feel like this is a game where they get stung and OkSt returns to form. I'll have to look at UT's pass defense stats before I make a play.

Not so sure about GaTech. Wake is much improved and that number is moving in their favor. Over on the CSU game looks pretty good though.

I've heard some rumblings about some bad Louisville vibes. Apparently there are some Petrino to Tenn rumors out there. Look into it before you place your bet.

Point spreads make it so much more interesting and obviously more difficult to choose. I wish we had a season-long contest in which each week you had to pick one college game, one pro game, and one over/under from either.

Today's plays (so far):

NW -3 (impulse buy after hearing Jewell and the other Iowa starting DB was out)
Money Line Parlay involving Virginia over BC...oops
Over in CSU-New Mexico...muy malo

Later -- G Tech -4 (has since dropped to 3 1/2!), Minnesota -13 1/2

Couldn't pull the trigger on Louisville even after it went to 7 yesterday (closed at 6). Didn't pull the trigger on OK State given that Texas's worst loss this year was 10 and their defense has greatly improved, they've been impressive today. We'll see about other later games.

I made a money line play on IU vs Mich St. pays 2 to 1. I did make it after the Scott announcement - can't believe he is playing.
Ok St totally blew it. WR drops an easy TD and they fumbled at the UT goaline.Outgained UT 428 to 283. Ouch.

I did play the 3 weather games mentioned before. Wisky-Maryland pushed on a late FG. Miami-Syr looking good so far and it is rainy and windy in Pullman WA (WSU vs CU)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT