ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett

I actually don't think the best comparison for Bassett is Lee. I think style wise he compares favorably to a few others that come to mind, for me, much more Gene Mills or Randy Lewis, than Spencer Lee.
I hope like hell your comparison is spot on.

I actually don't think the best comparison for Bassett is Lee. I think style wise he compares favorably to a few others that come to mind, for me, much more Gene Mills or Randy Lewis, than Spencer Lee.
I don’t know of any wrestler that compares to spencer lee. Still shocked at how strong he is- makes sense why he makes it look easy turning 125 pounders. The amount of weight he pushes is just unbelievable considering his size and his grip strength has to be just absolutely unreal.

When 99th percentile genetics meet someone with the mind/drive of someone…. lookout.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I don’t know of any wrestler that compares to spencer lee. Still shocked at how strong he is- makes sense why he makes it look easy turning 125 pounders. The amount of weight he pushes is just unbelievable considering his size and his grip strength has to be just absolutely unreal.

When 99th percentile genetics meet someone with the mind/drive of someone…. lookout.
Well of course this is all true, but a further look is telling...when an equally string opponent, which is very rare for him, such as Suriano opposes him, he wins basically 6-3 or 5-1. No shame in that.

But Mills and Lewis could beat you 29-13, or pin you 17 other ways, even if you matched them physically...this is what I see in Bassett.

Well of course this is all true, but a further look is telling...when an equally string opponent, which is very rare for him, such as Suriano opposes him, he wins basically 6-3 or 5-1. No shame in that.

But Mills and Lewis could beat you 29-13, or pin you 17 other ways, even if you matched them physically...this is what I see in Bassett.
Perhaps. Pretty sure he pinned Nato the match before Suriano. And Suriano is a 2-1 SV with basically anyone in a NC match. 5-1 is pretty solid. He never really had a chance to turn him either, and no one takes bottom on him.

I will say Rivera had his number at one point, but spencer was pretty clearly wrestling with some sort of sickness that whole season. That’s the thing with him, who knows what he might have done with no ACL injuries. He brought it in March every opportunity regardless.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Perhaps. Pretty sure he pinned Nato the match before Suriano. And Suriano is a 2-1 SV with basically anyone in a NC match. 5-1 is pretty solid. He never really had a chance to turn him either, and no one takes bottom on him.

I will say Rivera had his number at one point, but spencer was pretty clearly wrestling with some sort of sickness that whole season. That’s the thing with him, who knows what he might have done with no ACL injuries. He brought it in March every opportunity regardless.
Splitting hairs here. There are no Knocks on Lee, he is going out one of the greatest of all time. I simply think Bassett reminds me of a few other greats of all time style wise.

Gable, Cael, Schalles, Kemp, Smith...all great and 5 different styles

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Splitting hairs here. There are no Knocks on Lee, he is going out one of the greatest of all time. I simply think Bassett reminds me of a few other greats of all time style wise.

Gable, Cael, Schalles, Kemp, Smith...all great and 5 different styles
I think we’re essentially agreeing, just disagree that Lee doesn’t have that factor of being able to scorch earth on someone at or near his level. He pinned a national champion as a true freshman at NCAAs. I think that wow factor of getting a pin in a wild fashion doesn’t happen much because he gets what, like 3 opportunities a season to actually utilize that? Why do something risky when you can turn someone at will for a tech? Hopefully we see Lee/Glory this year.

The strategy is pretty clear on really the only way to beat a moderately healthy Lee- Stay on your feet with the appearance of being offensive but in reality doing nothing. If you get taken down stall like crazy, and hope to hell you can get a 3rd period takedown or SV one because if it goes to SV2 you are screwed.

Last edited:
16 year old freshman before the new year is crazy. I could see him graduating early and going the Haines route.

16 year old freshman before the new year is crazy. I could see him graduating early and going the Haines route.
So Bo Basset, the king of threads clearly wants to work out with the best as often as he can. Going to any other college will ruin that chance. The Penn State Room is a clearly better than any other wrestling room in the world. By far! I can’t see him passing up on PSU,

Reactions: Ski and Jplions4
So Bo Basset, the king of threads clearly wants to work out with the best as often as he can. Going to any other college will ruin that chance. The Penn State Room is a clearly better than any other wrestling room in the world. By far! I can’t see him passing up on PSU,
OK - What in the heck are you doing at 3:44 AM posting on a wrestling board. Get some sleep or wrap some presents or something! You may have a problem. :)

lol wtf are you talking about man? Jesus, you don’t think a coach can adjust for someone who is already well put together? Don’t you guys have two current wrestlers that were extremely sought after in HS and have won it all every chance they’ve had so far?

More than two:)

Reactions: NCHawk55
Maybe. PSU/NLWC is by far the best room top to bottom, but there will be questions as to where the best 125 'folk' room is located. Anywhere Spencer goes will at the very least argue the point.

Bassett rolling around vs Spencer everyday, 'might' top rolling around with Gilman and RBY to the wisdom of an 18 year old. On the coaching side there is zero comparison, noone sniffs Cael's...

I think we’re essentially agreeing, just disagree that Lee doesn’t have that factor of being able to scorch earth on someone at or near his level. He pinned a national champion as a true freshman at NCAAs. I think that wow factor of getting a pin in a wild fashion doesn’t happen much because he gets what, like 3 opportunities a season to actually utilize that? Why do something risky when you can turn someone at will for a tech? Hopefully we see Lee/Glory this year.

The strategy is pretty clear on really the only way to beat a moderately healthy Lee- Stay on your feet with the appearance of being offensive but in reality doing nothing. If you get taken down stall like crazy, and hope to hell you can get a 3rd period takedown or SV one because if it goes to SV2 you are screwed.
The Lee I saw last week better not find himself in SV or SV2 with anyone. He was about as gassed as I’ve seen for a top wrestler.

I’d rather see more talk about our chances of getting Forrest Jax. Anyone else agree?
why-not-both-por-que-no-los-dos.gif

The Lee I saw last week better not find himself in SV or SV2 with anyone. He was about as gassed as I’ve seen for a top wrestler.
lol 😂. I’m shocked he was even out there. He’s always gassed like that when he turns the shit out of someone in the 1st period but barely misses the tech. and let’s not pretend he’s even close to the shape he wants to be or is heading.

Yep. That was very, VERY reminiscent of Andrew Alton...that wasn't an injury gas or a conditioning gas, that was psychological.

lol 😂. I’m shocked he was even out there. He’s always gassed like that when he turns the shit out of someone in the 1st period but barely misses the tech. and let’s not pretend he’s even close to the shape he wants to be or is heading.
Sorry but I've been watching Spencer since junior Olympics and he has never even been close to gassing like that.. that was very worrisome. Ask anyone on our board about what happened to Andrew Alton, that was the exact same kind of issue.

Yep. That was very, VERY reminiscent of Andrew Alton...that wasn't an injury gas or a conditioning gas, that was psychological.
lmao. Psychologically just totally quit while earning a major decision 16-5. Good lord. I’ve seen a lot but wow……

lmao. Psychologically just totally quit while earning a major decision 16-5. Good lord. I’ve seen a lot but wow……
Hawk I know you love Spencer but he is human. The gassing issue was real. Can he fix it? Of course, but it's a real concern.

Hawk I know you love Spencer but he is human. The gassing issue was real. Can he fix it? Of course, but it's a real concern.
Call me crazy but i’d like to see more than one match before I jump on the “he’s done” train- especially a match he won convincingly and put his opponent on their back multiple times…..

Call me crazy but i’d like to see more than one match before I jump on the “he’s done” train- especially a match he won convincingly and put his opponent on their back multiple times…..
He's not "done"...but I think it's important he get some matches in January. That's me, many disagree...

I’d rather see more talk about our chances of getting Forrest Jax. Anyone else agree?
I definitely agree. Bassett will undoubtably be very good but Jax has a much more diverse skill set. Even with his loss to Lilledahl at Ironman I think Jax is quite possibly the best wrestler in high school. I would say that Shapiro is hands down the best this year but he’s not competing at the high school level this year. My top 3 which is absolutely biased and in no particular order is Jax Forrest, PJ Duke, and Josh Barr with Luke Lilledahl a close 4th

Reactions: Ja1339
Reading this thread the biggest surprise was that he is 16yr Freshman. This is typical age for a Junior , at least for all my kids. I have heard of parents holding back one year but this is more than that. Can't wrap my head around that.

He's not "done"...but I think it's important he get some matches in January. That's me, many disagree...
I agree he needs more but what I saw was a man whose mind was telling his body to do things it wasn’t ready to do yet. Similar shit happens to anyone who has done things at a high level before.

I recently did some research(slow snow day at work): Lots of talk about the 16 freshmen but upon further review, it’s a lot more common than people think.
Wrestlers who will be, is or already were 19 when they graduate!

Rocco Welsh, Dalton Perry, Connor Harer, David Taylor, Spencer Lee, Gavin Teasdale, Bo Basset, Luke Simcox, Nate Desmond, Jax Forest (most of McCruit), Little and big Gibson, Jude Correa, Vince Bouzakis, Adam Watters (most of Faith), Brandt Harer. Then look at Willie’s top MS kids. Someone said the top 15 are all 15 going to be 16 in 9th grade (some PA kids sidun, Miller, Rothermel, Bachman, ONeil etc)

Reactions: hlstone
Agree. I also want Landon Bainey and Lucas Fye so that in case someone gets injured we still have a guy who can win at the B1G level.
Agree can’t have enough good kids, I pleased with Wentzel, older Gibson & Nasedo coming in as well. Fill the room with good kids

I agree he needs more but what I saw was a man whose mind was telling his body to do things it wasn’t ready to do yet. Similar shit happens to anyone who has done things at a high level before.
Spencer struggled with gas issues in the past, and the depletion caused from not being able to keep some sort of baseline while rehabbing both knees is going to be tough to overcome. There aren't many at 125 capable of beating a gas depleted Spencer, but as Larry Owings showed it only takes one stubborn SOB who refuses to backdown.
I struggle with this one. I would like Spencer to get his fourth. He has always been such a fantastic wrestler, and seems like a terrific kid. But man, the Hawkeye heartbreak and HR vile that would accompany a Spencer loss would be freaking priceless.

Last edited:
I recently did some research(slow snow day at work): Lots of talk about the 16 freshmen but upon further review, it’s a lot more common than people think.

Rocco Welsh, Dalton Perry, Connor Harer, David Taylor, Spencer Lee, Gavin Teasdale, Bo Basset, Luke Simcox, Nate Desmond, Jax Forest (most of McCruit), Little and big Gibson, Jude Correa, Vince Bouzakis, Adam Watters (most of Faith), Brandt Harer. Then look at Willie’s top MS kids. Someone said the top 15 are all 15 going to be 16 in 9th grade (some PA kids sidun, Miller, Rothermel, Bachman, ONeil etc)
Wow , to me this just seem right . Weird to be 2 years older than all your classmates . Not to mention it seems to instill a mentality to win at all cost which I am not sure is the healthiest mindset

Hmmm. I found it concerning, as I like Lee and hope he wins #4, but it was first match back from double-knee surgery. So, conditioning almost certainly a major deal. Honestly, I turned the TV on late and at first, when I was watching I was not sure it was Lee, as he looked slimmer/slighter than in past, but I might just be off base there.

Damn, I didn’t turn 16 until January of my Jr year!!

Reactions: johnstownsteel
To sync that up he needs matches. They need to get him 4 or 5 matches before February.

To sync that up he needs matches. They need to get him 4 or 5 matches before February.
I'm not sure if it's just matches that Spencer needs. It's quite possible that he's doing very little live wrestling at all. Matches will only do so much if he can't grind every day for a while.

As for Bo, he's certainly unique but at 16 1/2 it's hard to compare him (and others at that age) to their younger freshmen classmates. With so many much older freshmen, you might see more unknowns breaking out as juniors or seniors as they catch up a bit physically. I am not saying that Bo won't be a top recruit (he will), but

For development purposes, I'd expect more of the older kids who want international careers follow the Lee/Haines modelof foregoing some of HS to get into an RTC full-time before they are 20. Haines of course did this as a 17 young HS senior, but it makes a lot of sense for guys like Bo/Jax who will be older with nothing to prove in HS.

Reading this thread the biggest surprise was that he is 16yr Freshman. This is typical age for a Junior , at least for all my kids. I have heard of parents holding back one year but this is more than that. Can't wrap my head around that.
Yeah, I was only 17 when I graduated from HS in the 60's! Maybe my parents should have held me back 🤣

Mark Hall was a 16 year old freshman in high school. I don't know why people make such a big deal out of this, it's not uncommon.
Naming one person and then saying it isn’t uncommon doesn’t really support that as a fact. On the other hand I have three kids that have gone through school with the youngest being 16 who is a junior. None of there friends were 16 as a freshman. I have not heard of this until this thread. That being said it is obviously being done by a handful

Reactions: Antaeus
Spencer needs more matches, to get ready for what? Face it, the weight class is currently a cake walk. Sorry gents even with two 80% knees, and a 2-period gas tank, I don't see Glory beating him, and the drop off behind Glory is a big one. If Suriano were still kicking around, or Vito, RBY or Fix dropped down we 'might' have a conversation, but I don't even like a skinnied down RBY's chances. Spencer's only legitimate contender between now and March is Mr. Injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT