ADVERTISEMENT

Bing Match thread

Room bump is mostly a myth. Keener is what he is at this point.
First sentence is quite possibly the most inaccurate statement ever by you, which is saying something.

I know what you are trying to say which is specific to Keener in this instance and I might not disagree with, but your statement as is is exhibit 1 in why you get panned here mostly.

Quite possibly the most inaccurate statement ever by you, which is saying something.

I know what you are trying to say which is specific to Keener in this instance and I might not disagree with, but your statement as is is exhibit 1 in why you get panned here mostly.
We need to see what the room bump is in 3 months.

This Bing 49lber looks big and tough ;-)
Has a win over Cimato as a freshman. Has some talent.

They also have Kropman at 149 who won the wrestle off but is red shirting. Garcia is very talented but catching up a little as he left the team last year during redshirt.

Last edited:
Nick isn't the only Nevills wrestling tonight. Fresno State is going against Illinois. Also you guys might want to keep track of the big guys at the Roadrunner Open at Cal State Bakersfield on Sunday.

Hopefully Cael does another west coast swing next year.

before I say this..I am a big time Cassar fan (think we are really fortunate to have 3 big time guys at 197) but after watching the last two matches..it's clear that Anthony is pretty much a 'freestyler' .. he needs a lot of improvement on both top and bottom ..his 'riding time' tonight was a whole lot less of him being dominant on top as it was that the Binghamtom wrestler sorta did nothing even from the start position and then just went right to the mat .. the difference of styles between Matt and Anthony could not be more stark ..obviously Anthony is really tough on his feet and Matt is the classic grinder

Halftime? We need a stinking halftime.
gty_9_hula_hoop_girl_kb_ss_130304_ssv.jpg

Reactions: CropDuster507
before I say this..I am a big time Cassar fan (think we are really fortunate to have 3 big time guys at 197) but after watching the last two matches..it's clear that Anthony is pretty much a 'freestyler' .. he needs a lot of improvement on both top and bottom ..his 'riding time' tonight was a whole lot less of him being dominant on top as it was that the Binghamtom wrestler sorta did nothing even from the start position and then just went right to the mat .. the difference of styles between Matt and Anthony could not be more stark ..obviously Anthony is really tough on his feet and Matt is the classic grinder
Mark Tracy is definitely not a mat wrestler. Let's not kill Caesar over this as he did what he was supposed to do, but that match didnt answer any questions that were asked last Sunday.

On his feet however he IS impressive. Quite possibly pretty elite in his weight class. Mark Tracy has a few pretty good wins in his career and is good on his feet (for the weight class) and Caesar just dominated him in neutral.

All hail!

First sentence is quite possibly the most inaccurate statement ever by you, which is saying something.

It wasn't meant as an indictment on the PSU room. But if they had a magic formula for turning good wrestlers into AA wrestlers, then they would have stuck with Morelli last year. And they would stick with Cortez this year (which they won't). I'm glad a nice surprise happens every once in awhile, but the expectations shouldn't be high for Keener. At least not by fans.

And here I thought I was getting on your good side, dice!

Last edited:
Cael does it all. But I hear reports that he cheats at dancing too.

Edit: Maybe not hula hoops...
I hear he sends his wrestlers to run dance camps where they get paid off the books. Better call compliance officers to verify.

It wasn't meant as an indictment on the PSU room. But if they had a magic formula for turning good wrestlers into AA wrestlers, then they would have stuck with Morelli last year. And they would stick with Cortez this year (which they won't). I'm glad it happens every once in awhile, but the expectations shouldn't be high for Keener. At least not by fans.

And here I thought I was getting on your good side, dice!
I know exactly how it was meant and as I said before, I'm not sure I disagree with you. Was just pointing out that your "phrase-ology" in stating it was bound to be taken as a shot by many, which just may be your aim, lol. Your first sentence, as stated, is just plain inaccurate without divining your meaning or intention.;)

How can you be on my bad side? Not even vodka has managed that over here...

Reactions: LemonPie
Just want to add in this thread kudos to the Bearcats. As many of you know, I am now a huge Bearcat fan (in addition to being a loyal PSU fan) and Matt D had his kids battling tonight. They are beginning to get the right kids in the room up there and should be on the rise. Unfortunate that it didn't work out with Pariano, but hopefully they can add another good assistant to help out. Matt is an intelligent and hard nose guy who is pointing them in the right direction and hopefully they will reach the goals he has set.

Just a thought or two
Keener
I believe that by March Keener is a much improved wrestler. As dice pointed out, the improvements are not going to be huge things, but detail improvements. Improve the details the entire production tends to show significant improvement. Keener was wrestling a kid who wins, and Keener beat him by toughing it out. Just my opinion but I thought it was a very good win.

Cortez - waiming to see him wrestle someone significant, but he is winning.

Champions row - zero takedown in first minute. No big deal. Wrestle through your fatigue and wrestle to score. Check.

Cassar - I like what I am seeing.

Nick - he wrestles like an athletic heavyweight.

Lemon,
Morelli only had a single loss last year when Hall was inserted. If it had been left to Cael Morelli would have wrestled through the post-season.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
thanks to dunke for starting the thread, and thanks to all that piped in with comments, observations, or PBP.

my apologies for not giving a heads up that I wouldn't be able to do PBP, or to even start the match thread. In that vein, this is a heads up that I will not be able to start a Keystone Classic tournament thread on Sunday.

I wasn't really concerned about the major in a match against Binghamton. It was a hilarious sequence with Nick trying to get 3 takedowns in 20 seconds after laying on him for much of the match. Nevills cracks me up. He's a hell of a wrestler.

Nevills vs Kaspar and Coon are 2 of the matches I'm looking forward to the most.

Just want to add in this thread kudos to the Bearcats. As many of you know, I am now a huge Bearcat fan (in addition to being a loyal PSU fan) and Matt D had his kids battling tonight. They are beginning to get the right kids in the room up there and should be on the rise. Unfortunate that it didn't work out with Pariano, but hopefully they can add another good assistant to help out. Matt is an intelligent and hard nose guy who is pointing them in the right direction and hopefully they will reach the goals he has set.
I agree. As overmatched as they were, they battled. Looked like every guy went out with the intent to win.

Lemon,
Morelli only had a single loss last year when Hall was inserted. If it had been left to Cael Morelli would have wrestled through the post-season.

First of all, thoughts and prayers with you Tom and your family.

Second, nitlion6, isn’t it up to Cael? Who overruled him?

Thirs, do anyone know if ESPN3 archives events for watching later? I won’t have a chance to check until tomorrow.

First of all, thoughts and prayers with you Tom and your family.

Second, nitlion6, isn’t it up to Cael? Who overruled him?

Thirs, do anyone know if ESPN3 archives events for watching later? I won’t have a chance to check until tomorrow.
Looks like ESPN3 does archive. Go to schedule and select replay. I checked and our match was listed.

I thought it was a solid effort by the team in a warm-up type of dual. But both Cassar and Nevills did not manage the clock well in the 3rd period while attempting to pick up a major. It cost Cassar again and Nevills got bailed out by scoring that last split second TD after letting his guy loose with 10 seconds left when he already had the major.

Keener and Cortez were both really sloppy on top and that needs to be tightened up too if they are going to place.

We will need every single half point at Nationals so these issues need to get corrected in the coming months.

Looks like ESPN3 does archive. Go to schedule and select replay. I checked and our match was listed.

yeah watched it again this morning with my morning OJ. Prepping myself for a long day of football and rain/cold. Heading to Altoona for HS football and hitting up the Beav on way back.

If I dont come down with the flu or getted jacked by Husker fan ill be back and ready to rock tomorrow at 10am

Keener
I believe that by March Keener is a much improved wrestler.
On the few matches I saw of him, while at Central Michigan, he seemed to have trouble with the weight cut, resulting in some gas tank issues. I haven’t seen any signs of that, in the few matches that he’s been with PSU.

Reactions: nitlion6
Keener is a 6th year senior. He's not going to turn into Tom Brands (lol) in 3 months in the room. His improvement will come in the details and conditioning (physical and mental) which will hopefully turn some close losses into close wins in March.
I was impressed by both Keener and Cortez last night. They are in the best room in college wrestling and they are both showing signs of putting things together. The same is true for Hall. He has a unique style/ability but he is showing the discipline it takes to round out his game. In particular I watch all of his matches for signs that he is prioritizing scoring from neutral as opposed to simply out scrambling people and I see evidence that he is giving his TD game a full effort. His top game is also improving steadily. The room bump is extremely real.

Reactions: The Shelter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT