ADVERTISEMENT

Beaver

Excuse the dumb Iowa boy ignorance, but what is beaver, dare I ask? :eek:
The absolute best place in the world to watch a football game.

Officially known as Beaver Stadium, The stadium is named in honor of James A. Beaver. A lawyer in nearby Bellefonte at the outbreak of the Civil War, he enlisted in the Union Army as a second lieutenant and rose to the rank of brigadier general prior to his discharge in 1864. Beaver, who died in 1914, served as a superior court judge, governor of Pennsylvania and president of the University's Board of Trustees. He is credited with being among the most influential leaders in the development of the University at the turn of the century.

1471421_32282.jpg

Awesome pic!

Reactions: diggerpup
the one thing that would create a problem is Beaver Stadium's natural grass surface. There's no way you could hold a wrestling match the same day as a football game. The football team would never agree to it as there's too much risk to damaging the field.

Being the most unapologetic UNI homer, I may say the same about seeing a dual in the West Gym. Talk about history! UNI's famed 1950 national championship team wrestled and won their national title there that year. We're still wrestling there today. Sits just over 2000, when everyone is packed in the rafters.

Then
wrest2-500x349.jpg

Now
WrestlingCover1.jpg

Last edited:
Being the most unapologetic UNI homer, I may say the same about seeing a dual in the West Gym. Talk about history! UNI's famed 1950 national championship team wrestled and won their national title there that year. We're still wrestling there today. Sits just over 2000, when everyone is packed in the rafters.

Then
wrest2-500x349.jpg

Now
WrestlingCover1.jpg

With very little effort I could probably find a PSU connection to someone that wrestled in that gym for Iowa Teachers College.

With credit to Mark Palmer,

The ring's the thing
Walk into a wrestling meet at Oklahoma State, University of Iowa, University of Northern Iowa, Northwestern or some other colleges back in the 1920s or 30s, and, most likely, at the center of the gym you'd find a roped-off wrestling ring. At some schools -- most notably Oklahoma State -- the ring was raised up off the gym floor, much like we associate with professional wrestling or boxing events today.

uniring.jpg
\
Wrestling ring at the University of Northern Iowa (Called Iowa State Teachers College at the time)

The wrestling area inside the ring was the same as on the open mats of other colleges -- 20 feet square, with an apron at the edge of the mat. Rules dictated that there be no less than three parallel ropes on each side of the ring, and that the ring posts be padded and set back from the edge of the corners. Unlike professional wrestling, the ropes could not be used in any way during the match; a wrestler could not gain leverage from the ropes, "rebound" off them, or duck through them to take a break.

According to Cowboys Ride Again! -- Bob and Doris Dellinger's book on the history Oklahoma State's wrestling program -- ropes and rings became illegal in 1942, the last full season of college wrestling before a three-year hiatus for World War II. In the 1947 Official Wrestling Guide, in the rules section titled "Mats, Ropes and Costumes" it states in large, bold type: "Ropes and Raised Platforms are Illegal."

With very little effort I could probably find a PSU connection to someone that wrestled in that gym for Iowa Teachers College.
I can't remember the exact year it was, but the last time that we dualed PSU was in the West Gym and Clint Musser was on the team, so it was a while ago.

Wrestled 4 times in our histories...

2004 1/17/2004 Neutral W 31-9
1998 1/2/1998 Away W 34-9
1987 1/9/1987 Neutral W 28-12
1986 1/4/1986 Neutral W 21-12

1998 was the Musser year.
OK, thanks. For some reason I don't remember 2004, but that was likely during the national duals. If so, it wouldn't have technically been "neutral," as they were probably wrestled at UNI in the UNI Dome.

Self edit: Nope, Cleveland State. Never mind...

The question was asked at the pre-match social on Sunday about the possibility of a dual at Beaver Stadium. Cael mentioned that before the Wisconsin game was the lone possible date, but went onto say that he really has no desire in a stadium dual. Sounded to me like there’s very little chance of this being attempted.

See. Cael is always generous. One little morsel left on the table for the world of the bumble bee black and yellow to swell their chest about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT