ADVERTISEMENT

Trib article today re: naming field after Paterno

Who cares. We venerate way to many people in society. I'm all for Paterno field or Paterno Street but I could care less if does or doesn't happen.
Joe was a great football coach, one of the best ever. He did many, many great things. He also oversaw something that happened under him that was very, very awful.

• Angry
Reactions: Ski and MacNit2.0
Who cares. We venerate way to many people in society. I'm all for Paterno field or Paterno Street but I could care less if does or doesn't happen.
Joe was a great football coach, one of the best ever. He did many, many great things. He also oversaw something that happened under him that was very, very awful.
PLEASE STOP IMPLICATING JVP! Yes JVP was head coach when Sandusky did the purported things for which he was convicted. It is total miscarriage of justice to accuse Paterno of any connection with the Sandusky Scandal. Has Benpatudi been held accountable for any PSU employees who have had committed any crimes?

Last edited:
PLEASE STOP IMPLICATING JVP! Yes JVP was head coach when Sandusky did the purported things for which he was convicted. It is total miscarriage of justice to accuse Paterno of any connection with the Sandusky Scandal. Has been Benpatudi been held accountable for any PSU employees who have had committed any crimes?
Do CEO's get fired for scandals of managers they oversee? Let alone on company property.
Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
Joe Paterno didn't commit any type of crime. However, he was the direct superior of a staff member that committed crimes in and out of the facilities that he was directly and ultimately in charge of and he was informed of those actions at one point or another by other staff member(s). If you can't understand that has consequences, I can't help you.

Joe Paterno didn't commit any type of crime. However, he was the direct superior of a staff member that committed crimes in and out of the facilities that he was directly and ultimately in charge of and he was informed of those actions at one point or another by other staff member(s). If you can't understand that has consequences, I can't help you.
Bullshit.

Knowing the actual, true facts of this case, which you have to assume most of us do by now, anyone continuing to perpetuate this idea is either a bad person or a stupid person. We actually can understand that and unfortunately we can’t help you.

The bickering on the boards is a perfect illustration of why this should never happen. The public reaction will be many, many times worse. Just move on. The narrative is set, nohing is ever going to change.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
The bickering on the boards is a perfect illustration of why this should never happen. The public reaction will be many, many times worse. Just move on. The narrative is set, nohing is ever going to change.
I agree. It brings all this stuff back to the forefront. And that is why Jay Paterno is against it. Paterno's legacy is mixed and complicated because of this scandal. Complicated because he did so many great things but he cannot be totally exonerated from this scandal. He even admitted he should have done more. Did he know it was going on? Of course not. Joe wouldn't have wanted this fuss over the naming a field after him, he wouldn't care. I am glad his name is on the library. That represents in my opinion what a unique man he was and the many great things he did for his players outside of football and how he helped Penn State.

Reactions: lowhandicapper
I agree. It brings all this stuff back to the forefront. And that is why Jay Paterno is against it. Paterno's legacy is mixed and complicated because of this scandal. Complicated because he did so many great things but he cannot be totally exonerated from this scandal. He even admitted he should have done more. Did he know it was going on? Of course not. Joe wouldn't have wanted this fuss over the naming a field after him, he wouldn't care. I am glad his name is on the library. That represents in my opinion what a unique man he was and the many great things he did for his players outside of football and how he helped Penn State.
Why did you leave out “with the benefit of hindsight”? I have no problem with most of what you wrote, but leaving out those words is wrong.

Reactions: indynittany
Not to do with Penn State, but Florida State should be embarrassed for naming their field after the head Criminole himself, Bobby Bowden. That still burns me up!!!

Reactions: joeaubie21
He doesn't need to be exonerated by you or anyone else. He did nothing wrong and shouldn't have been dragged into this shit to begin with. That said he did exactly the right thing and his actions are now ncaa policy. The Paterno's should tell Penn State to.jump.in.the lake as they should have defended him at the time.
I love the arrogance and self righteous attitudes of people in this country today. Same thing the libtards do relative to the country and our great founding fathers or Columbus.
Whatever, as Joe said he knows the truth and he doesn't need anyone's validation. Damn shame, however as another great, great man is ruined.

Sandusky was retired. BOT gave him emeritus status as part of his package. That included an office and guest privileges to the facilities. Joe was against that arrangement for liability reasons.

Curley was AD. He was responsible for the facilities. And he reported to Schultz, who oversaw the “physical plant” of the university. Spanier approved the university’s response.

Sandusky founded and was employed by TSM. The kids all came from that program. Curley informed the head of the charity of the incident and of PSU’s decision to rescind Sandusky’s guest privileges.

Jack Raykovitz, a licensed child psychologist, a mandatory reporter, and as the head of TSM, not only chose not to report, he thought the solution was to have Jerry wear swim trunks in the shower.

Sandusky was retired. BOT gave him emeritus status as part of his package. That included an office and guest privileges to the facilities. Joe was against that arrangement for liability reasons.

Curley was AD. He was responsible for the facilities. And he reported to Schultz, who oversaw the “physical plant” of the university. Spanier approved the university’s response.

Sandusky founded and was employed by TSM. The kids all came from that program. Curley informed the head of the charity of the incident and of PSU’s decision to rescind Sandusky’s guest privileges.

Jack Raykovitz, a licensed child psychologist, a mandatory reporter, and as the head of TSM, not only chose not to report, he thought the solution was to have Jerry wear swim trunks in the shower.
Thanks for posting this necessary history.
BTW: Emeritus status is granted by the President (Spanier) as directed by the BoT. Office space at the University is provided by the Dept. (Curley).

Reactions: Ski and indynittany

The bickering is exactly why it the stadium should be named after him. If people are just going to repeat falsehoods and lies, the family and the university and the actual fans of the school might as well get the benefit of properly honoring the man. The crap is slung regardless of whatever they do, so no reason not to do the right thing. The haters are still going to hate because they don't care about facts.

And yeah there would be a PR firestorm... briefly. And then it will die down and everyone moves on and the University would be no worse off. And will probably actually get increased donations and be better off.

Why did you leave out “with the benefit of hindsight”? I have no problem with most of what you wrote, but leaving out those words is wrong.
He also said "I wish I had done more" not "I should have done more". One is an expression of regret, the other an admission of guilt. They are two completely different things.

Paterno, as the quality individual he was, was troubled by a feeling of potentially having been able to do something that could have been better - that is what people of high moral character express because they actual care. Unethical folks don't give a crap (c.f. Jim Boeheim)

This "just move on" stuff continues to be utter nonsense. I don't care about naming some stupid field for Joe. I consider it irrelevant at this point. What is important to many of us is that the TRUTH of what really happened with the Second Mile, Sandusky, Ray Gricar, etc. is brought to light. Until then, there can be no peace. Penn State's brand was significantly damaged and it's all based on a coverup.

That's fine. He certainly would have done more but I'm saddened to know that the general population thinks he knew more and still did not do much.

Reactions: PSUPride1
That's fine. He certainly would have done more but I'm saddened to know that the general population thinks he knew more and still did not do much.

I'm not sure what "do much" even means - he did exactly what he should have in the circumstance. He put the witness in direct contact with the proper authorities and then did not interfere. In fact, it is exactly what the NCAA requires coaches to do in the situation.

You don't want football coaches interfering with potential criminal investigations.

the family and the university and the actual fans of the school might as well get the benefit of properly honoring the man.
What exactly is that benefit? Does putting his name on something else change anything about the way Penn State or the fans have benefitted from him or will feel about him? No, not one bit. He was a great man and did many great things and his legacy is forever going to be tied to a scandal that he took the brunt of because of his fame, job title and mishandling by the BOT. But I don't need to see a Paterno Field, Paterno Way, a library, an ice cream cone or anything else to know that he did great things to benefit PSU.

What exactly is that benefit? Does putting his name on something else change anything about the way Penn State or the fans have benefitted from him or will feel about him? No, not one bit. He was a great man and did many great things and his legacy is forever going to be tied to a scandal that he took the brunt of because of his fame, job title and mishandling by the BOT. But I don't need to see a Paterno Field, Paterno Way, a library, an ice cream cone or anything else to know that he did great things to benefit PSU.
It's called "vindication". The day PSU officially stands up for itself and admits its mistakes, is the day that PSU students and alum can reclaim the pride that was stolen from us.

It's called "vindication". The day PSU officially stands up for itself and admits its mistakes, is the day that PSU students and alum can reclaim the pride that was stolen from us.
Even if they put his name on the field (they won't), they certainly aren't going to admit any wrongdoing whatsoever.

I'm not sure what "do much" even means - he did exactly what he should have in the circumstance. He put the witness in direct contact with the proper authorities and then did not interfere. In fact, it is exactly what the NCAA requires coaches to do in the situation.

You don't want football coaches interfering with potential criminal investigations.
I think Joe himself may disagree with you. Given his influence and power I believe he could have played a more assertive role in getting Sandusky the eff away from Penn State and being more vigilant in getting him investigated.

Look, I love JoePa as much as any loyal Penn State fan or alum. I love Penn State football and my father started taking me to all the home games in 1976 and I got hooked and have built a deep fondness for Joe throughout my life. I still have a deep fondness toward Joe and think he was a great, great person. He did so many wonderful things not the least being building the football program and university to national prominence all with the highest ethical standards. He had a vision for athletic success combined with academic achievement that was a foreign concept to his peers. He pioneered that vision despite it being the difficult path. He was mistreated by Penn State in a way that I find appalling.

I just feel there was more he could have done given his influence, stature in the university and his relationship to Sandusky. I know people vehemently disagree with that and I can appreciate that view. I don't want to debate and argue this just stating my opinion.

I think Joe himself may disagree with you. Given his influence and power I believe he could have played a more assertive role in getting Sandusky the eff away from Penn State and being more vigilant in getting him investigated.

Look, I love JoePa as much as any loyal Penn State fan or alum. I love Penn State football and my father started taking me to all the home games in 1976 and I got hooked and have built a deep fondness for Joe throughout my life. I still have a deep fondness toward Joe and think he was a great, great person. He did so many wonderful things not the least being building the football program and university to national prominence all with the highest ethical standards. He had a vision for athletic success combined with academic achievement that was a foreign concept to his peers. He pioneered that vision despite it being the difficult path. He was mistreated by Penn State in a way that I find appalling.

I just feel there was more he could have done given his influence, stature in the university and his relationship to Sandusky. I know people vehemently disagree with that and I can appreciate that view. I don't want to debate and argue this just stating my opinion.
That’s nice but you couldn’t be more wrong. In the real world you can’t go around just accusing someone of the most egregious conduct imaginable. Ask CNN, the Washington Post et al about the kid supposedly mocking the Indian demonstrator. That’s especially true if you are a football coach and the professionals, trained in detecting and preventing this type of behavior, have all passed on it. It’s even more of a problem if you are a high profile public person responsible for millions of dollars and thousands of people. You need to stay in your lane. Joe notified the proper people who actually did have responsibility and stayed out of something that he didn’t have the expertise or moral authority to influence. Let’s be honest. At this point, the only people who are saying otherwise are motivated by self preservation, jealousy or ignorance.

Last edited:
You have got to be kidding me. You truly think PAterno allowed any of the supposed abuse to occur? If so, you are clearly misinformed.
Not at all. Joe did nothing wrong but he did a lousy job on the PR. He needed to hire a lawyer and not let his moron son scott do his talking. Joe needed to say nothing.

A lawyer could have issued a statement like , "Joe would always encourage anyone who is a possible victim or witness of any crime to go to the police."

I personally compare Joe to dawn Staley at Temple. Her team manager was a Cosby victim. Cosby was a trustee for another 10 years.

Reactions: RussianEagle
Not at all. Joe did nothing wrong but he did a lousy job on the PR. He needed to hire a lawyer and not let his moron son scott do his talking. Joe needed to say nothing.

A lawyer could have issued a statement like , "Joe would always encourage anyone who is a possible victim or witness of any crime to go to the police."

I personally compare Joe to dawn Staley at Temple. Her team manager was a Cosby victim. Cosby was a trustee for another 10 years.
Again, the only people who are saying things like this are motivated by self preservation, jealousy or ignorance. For intelligent, moral people why would you need to hire a PR firm? That’s politician territory. And of course the Trustees hired Louis Freeh and Lanny Davis. Corrupt, amoral people. Political people. Not people like Joe Paterno.

Again, the only people who are saying things like this are motivated by self preservation, jealousy or ignorance. For intelligent, moral people why would you need to hire a PR firm? That’s politician territory. And of course the Trustees hired Louis Freeh and Lanny Davis. Corrupt, amoral people. Political people. Not people like Joe Paterno.
Why hire a PR firm?

How did things turnout without a PR firm?

Anyone with 20 news trucks parked outside their house needs a PR firm or a lawyer .

Why hire a PR firm?

How did things turnout without a PR firm?

Anyone with 20 news trucks parked outside their house needs a PR firm or a lawyer .
Wow! Do you call the plays after they are over? It may be necessary for people like you but it would be needless for people like Coach Paterno and me because we know the truth.

Reactions: doctornick

If “more” was done after that 2000-01 shower incident, it wouldn’t surprise me if Sandusky never even gets arrested in the first place. The boy insisted Sandusky didn’t do anything and McQueary never claimed he witnessed a sexual act until 10 years later when he allowed himself to be manipulated by the police and prosecutors

As usual, Joe was ahead of his time... being the first to be cancelled. No matter what, its hard to get back. He did what he was supposed to do, he did what he was legally allowed to do, he did what all are being instructed to do, but too many think he could have done more and the BOT thought so, too.... I wonder if Bo could have done more at scUM or the folks at O$U and Sparty could have done more. PSU needs to get over it, not the fans or the so called JoeBots. It's the university that needs to move on and accept the fact that they crapped the bed. They messed up big time and its them that have to accept that fact. But they are cowards and never will and that's why they will never honor JoePa because by doing so admits their error.

They still play Michael Jackson songs on the radio and he was the abuser of children.
The don't play Gary Glitter's songs anymore as he was an abuser of little kids.

Go figure.

Reactions: joeaubie21

They still play Michael Jackson songs on the radio and he was the abuser of children.
The don't play Gary Glitter's songs anymore as he was an abuser of little kids.

Go figure.
Society seemed ready to cancel Michael Jackson a couple years ago. But MJ fans and the Jackson family put up a fight and rightfully convinced most Americans that “Leaving Neverland” was full of errors and inconsistencies.

Yet. Penn Staters and the Paterno family are too afraid to put up a fight.

Society seemed ready to cancel Michael Jackson a couple years ago. But MJ fans and the Jackson family put up a fight and rightfully convinced most Americans that “Leaving Neverland” was full of errors and inconsistencies.

Yet. Penn Staters and the Paterno family are too afraid to put up a fight.
Michael Jackson was a child molester. You could plainly see that from a mile away. In hindsight almost everyone, except a few people in law enforcement, should have done more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT