ADVERTISEMENT

Beaver

csiebott

Apr 5, 2016
New York, New York (WPIAL bred)
When? Is it ever going to happen? we will crush the attendance record set at . . . i don't even know the name of the place. Who cares if it's cold?

Sorry if there's already another thread on this.

Two years from now....tOSU vs PSU at the Beav in February.

Tan Tom will get all the tickets he wants, and will have to find something else to complain about:

1. Too cold
2. Not enough seat warmers provided
3. Not happy with seats in the end zone
4. Why not BJC? Not how they would have handled it
5. Hotel room was not up to par
6. Challenge brick froze to the ground
7. Still complaining about not enough tickets in 2018 dual

Tan Tom will get all the tickets he wants, and will have to find something else to complain about:

1. Too cold
Can't get much of a tan.

There is no way you'll get Tom Ryan to go for it. Too ... Tom Ryan.

Brands - maybe.
John Smith - maybe. Both of them went for it before. I thought it was very cool of Coach Smith to help out Iowa when they wanted to do their outdoor meet.

Iowa did their outdoor meet on November 14.

I remember someone else somewhere a while back wrote a post about average (average!) weather in State College in mid-November and concluded that PSU would have about as good a chance as getting it done as Iowa had. Over 50% anyway, actually.

1. Too cold
No direct flights out to Aruba

It's on the radar...coaches have said so numerous times, timing must be right. The effort to make it happen is significant. Then there's the whole "Mother Nature" thing.

Bottom line, my thinking only, is that it's too risky in central PA. Attendance records are not the goal...though they do say something about program success, and overall are a loose measure of growing vs not growing the sport.

I kind of agree--Iowa rolled the dice, and they had a great event. They might as well cling to that achievement for as long as they can...

I do like T-Row & Funky's idea of a PSU/tOSU dual in the 'burgh. 20k at PPG Center would be electric--someone would have to give up "home field advantage" though....

I kind of agree--Iowa rolled the dice, and they had a great event. They might as well cling to that achievement for as long as they can...

I do like T-Row & Funky's idea of a PSU/tOSU dual in the 'burgh. 20k at PPG Center would be electric--someone would have to give up "home field advantage" though....

I would love to see a double header... bring Kent State out to wrestle Lock Haven before hand. Its tough to drive far to a dual for a 2 hour meet. Make it a 3.5 hour event and I think its a better day for all.

Whats to stand in the way of a wrestling-football double header? wrestle in the afternoon and whiteout night game. would be fun.
November in Happy Valley? I'd say cloudy with a good chance of a J'den Coxesque mat.

1. Too cold

8. Warmup robes are not insulated.
9. Warmup robes don’t have GoreTex.
10. With their lack of skills on bottom, Buckeye wrestlers might stick & freeze to the mat.

1. Too cold
8. Pin chain saw it's shadow and wound come out for another season

I think the dept of athletics should sell whatever tickets can be put in the BJC (15k) and if there are bad weather forecasts leading up to the event they do it there . Make the call Thursday of that week if possible.

If the weather is going to be ok, they try to hold it at the beav early in the afternoon before a night psu game. The 16k fans with sold tickets for the BJC get designated seats (close) in the beav. From there its Free to get in for anyone else and its first come first serve for these walk up seats.

Issues
- does BJC need a fee whether they host event or not? meaning if they are in on the planning but end up not going there do they get a small fee anyway. this would impact the financial implications that make this worth the effort.

- BJC may have to order food/drink and other things that are perishable that need to be factored in

- Parking challenge for wrestling only spectators and people that park for wrestling but stay all day without going to football. Although if wrestling only people park in the yellow lots and can leave after wrestling this might not be so bad. Maybe you dont want a big time headliner for football, but still a night game against an IU type team.

- i would hold it outside the regular season time frame (mid October) to get the best weather possible. I dont know if you can do that per the NCAA rules. A year when Iowa isnt on the conference schedule comes to mind. However, iowa might not want to help out if it moves their grapple at the gridiron event to #2 on the attendance list. they are a prideful bunch over there.

- a large amount of humans to pull it off. They can do it, but does that cut down on the financial incentive to make it happen.

I think the dept of athletics should sell whatever tickets can be put in the BJC (15k) and if there are bad weather forecasts leading up to the event they do it there . Make the call Thursday of that week if possible.

If the weather is going to be ok, they try to hold it at the beav early in the afternoon before a night psu game. The 16k fans with sold tickets for the BJC get designated seats (close) in the beav. From there its Free to get in for anyone else and its first come first serve for these walk up seats.

Issues
- does BJC need a fee whether they host event or not? meaning if they are in on the planning but end up not going there do they get a small fee anyway. this would impact the financial implications that make this worth the effort.

- BJC may have to order food/drink and other things that are perishable that need to be factored in

- Parking challenge for wrestling only spectators and people that park for wrestling but stay all day without going to football. Although if wrestling only people park in the yellow lots and can leave after wrestling this might not be so bad. Maybe you dont want a big time headliner for football, but still a night game against an IU type team.

- i would hold it outside the regular season time frame (mid October) to get the best weather possible. I dont know if you can do that per the NCAA rules. A year when Iowa isnt on the conference schedule comes to mind. However, iowa might not want to help out if it moves their grapple at the gridiron event to #2 on the attendance list. they are a prideful bunch over there.

- a large amount of humans to pull it off. They can do it, but does that cut down on the financial incentive to make it happen.
Where's the financial incentive in your model? Letting all not holding BJC tickets into the match in Beaver Stadium as free walk ins eliminates any financial advantage for match in the stadium.

In Dunks model the incentive is to make the attendance record.

I have a question about the BJC. Someone posted PSU does not own it, which I find surprising since it is on campus. If they do not then who does? And what are the extra fees involved at the BJC? I understand concessions and security/ushers, plus lights and such, what else? Profit for the owners?

I have a question about the BJC. Someone posted PSU does not own it, which I find surprising since it is on campus. If they do not then who does? And what are the extra fees involved at the BJC? I understand concessions and security/ushers, plus lights and such, what else? Profit for the owners?
You can still charge people. We can break that record on a football weekend easily without chicanery. Have the endless throngs of tailgaters pay a 10 spot or whatever for a short break from boozing.

PSU owns and operates BJC through the Auxiliary and Business Services Unit, just as it appears to do with the Nittany Lion Inn. I would think that these facilities would need to operate at some level of a profit.

https://abservices.psu.edu/bryce-jordan-center

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Where's the financial incentive in your model? Letting all not holding BJC tickets into the match in Beaver Stadium as free walk ins eliminates any financial advantage for match in the stadium.

If we sell the 16k tickets for the BJC but dont use the BJC (thus not pay their toll) we have a huge financial incentive to use the free Beaver.

then we break the attendance record by a ton with a free walk in above the 16k paying ticket holders. If you want to charge $10 for adults and kids/students are free I could live with that too.

marketing dept pay attention here,,,,,#freebeaver sells itself!

How hard would it be to elevate the mat above a strong heater creating a somewhat heated surface to keep the mat soft and warm? Also a very elevated sloped tarp system could be used to eliminate moisture from the surface. I'm no engineer, but it seems like this could be solved well enough to prevent a minor weather event from ruining the event. I like the idea of two separate duals to give fans a little more to watch as well. Maybe PSU vs both Lehigh and Pitt? Add a little beat the streets magic as well with DT and Zain getting matches with international competition.

How hard would it be to elevate the mat above a strong heater creating a somewhat heated surface to keep the mat soft and warm? Also a very elevated sloped tarp system could be used to eliminate moisture from the surface. I'm no engineer, but it seems like this could be solved well enough to prevent a minor weather event from ruining the event. I like the idea of two separate duals to give fans a little more to watch as well. Maybe PSU vs both Lehigh and Pitt? Add a little beat the streets magic as well with DT and Zain getting matches with international competition.
I was thinking in the PPG tOSU vs PSU dual scenario, a freestyle exibition featuring Snyder vs. Varner, DT vs. Hefflin, and Zain vs. Steiber would be pretty sweet.

Without knowing laws in that jurisdiction and going just off my limited business knowledge.....

Fire hazard: The marshall would have to get involved which means the heater, propensity for the mat to catch fire, the platform, etc would all have to be certified.

That was my immediate thought. That being said, my life in real estate has me dealing with fire marshalls in NYC and not in PA so I could be way off base, but it seems like a safety concern more than anything.

As far as the double headers, I like all of the ideas being thrown out. In NJ going to an RU match doesn't totally suck your day dry since in NJ everything is 45 minutes away from everything. In PA, I would imagine that a 2 hour drive to happy valley is par for the course for some spectators. Anything that makes more people inclined to spend 4 hours in a car is a good idea.

Small part of the discussion...first contest date (date of competition) can't be held prior to November 1st each year. Nothing, even the All-Star Classic can be held prior.

Small part of the discussion...first contest date (date of competition) can't be held prior to November 1st each year. Nothing, even the All-Star Classic can be held prior.

Assuming that the weather would be warmer, etc in early November (a big assumption for SC), the future FB home schedules aren't the best for trying to schedule an early November dual at Beaver .
First November home games are:
2018 - 11/10 Wisconsin
2019 - 11/16 Indiana
2020 - 11/14 Mich St
2021 - 11/13 Michigan

Assuming that the weather would be warmer, etc in early November (a big assumption for SC), the future FB home schedules aren't the best for trying to schedule an early November dual at Beaver .
First November home games are:
2018 - 11/10 Wisconsin
2019 - 11/16 Indiana
2020 - 11/14 Mich St
2021 - 11/13 Michigan

Puhleeaasee.....

If Cael wanted it enough, he'd cut dUMb a slush fund check to move their game here on Nov 3rd this fall.

Excuse the dumb Iowa boy ignorance, but what is beaver, dare I ask? :eek:
1471421_32282.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT