ADVERTISEMENT

Trib article today re: naming field after Paterno

bcspsu

Jun 2, 2001
There's an on-line article right now on the Tribune Review web site about how some PSU trustees want to name the football field after Paterno. I know that this won't happen unless enough money talks, but this should've been done even before Paterno would've retired as coach under different circumstances.

71fovh.gif

There's an on-line article right now on the Tribune Review web site about how some PSU trustees want to name the football field after Paterno. I know that this won't happen unless enough money talks, but this should've been done even before Paterno would've retired as coach under different circumstances.
Beaver stadium is named after a Civil War veteran attorney/PA governor who served as PSU President from 1906-08. It shares it's name with a dormitory and a street in town.
It was originally built just north of Rec Hall, held 30K, and was named Beaver Field.
In 1960, it was disassembled, moved to the current location and the capacity was increased to 46K.
Since then, the stadium has been expanded six times, reflecting Penn State's rise to national prominence under Joe Paterno—more than doubling in size in the process, from 46K to 106K. There is no reason that money would need to dictate the field being named after JVP, the man responsible for more seats in the stadium than its namesake.

Last edited:
Beaver stadium is named after a Civil War veteran attorney/PA governor who served as PSU President from 1906-08. It shares it's name with a dormitory and a street in town.
It originally built just north of Rec Hall, held 30K, and was named Beaver Field.
In 1960, it was disassembled, moved to the current location and the capacity was increased to 46K.
Since then, the stadium has been expanded six times, reflecting Penn State's rise to national prominence under Joe Paterno—more than doubling in size in the process, from 46K to 106K. There is no reason that money would need to dictate the field being named after JVP, the man responsible for more seats in the stadium than its namesake.
It angers me when I see Tom Osborne Field, or Barry Alavarez Field, or Roy Williams Court, etc., and not see Paterno Field on the sidelines at Beaver Stadium.

It was originally built just north of Rec Hall, held 30K, and was named Beaver Field.
Unless of course it may interfere with selling the Stadiums "naming rights"..which could bring in millions to the University..something I'm sure JoePa would be more than ok with...

No, absolutely not. It won't happen anyway so no reason to worry about it I suppose.

It’s unwise to even attempt this. It will just bring the vultures back out and again paint the university in a bad light.

Reactions: BBHorn86
Joe absolutely should be honored. The cowardice on behalf of Penn State administrators in the face of this false narrative needs to end. Tell the media and the haters to go F themselves. Joe was a tremendous man for Penn State in all aspects and he did nothing wrong in this second mile scandal.
Furthermore Penn State should apologize to its alumni and fanbase for the horrendous way we were treated and for the ridiculous allegations in the freeh report that we were the equivalent of cultists and really only cared about winning and screw the kids.
Hell we had to sit through games and endure ads about if you see something, say something as though we needed this education.
Penn State is lucky they have a fanbase left but that is due to Joe and what he built.

Donations must be down big time and they need to raise a lot of money to refurbish the stadium. All these people running the place only understand money $$$. They think they can fool the sheep and offer this token nonsense, and everyone will be happy and open their checkbooks. Sorry! That ship has sailed. The way Joe was treated was criminal. There was a huge coverup that exists to this day.

Donations must be down big time and they need to raise a lot of money to refurbish the stadium. All these people running the place only understand money $$$.
Doubt that's why this came up. It's being discussed amongst those that have been pushing for all things Paterno for years... Lubrano, Jay, Brandon Short, Ted Brown. So this is little more than the usual faction of alumni elected trustees that ran on this platform and got PS4RS endorsements trying to do something. I doubt it will go anywhere because as we all know, they don't have the votes to do anything.

• Sad
Reactions: The Spin Meister
We all know Joe got shafted by a cowardice BOT and railroaded by Surma as a family vendetta. The time to correct the image and stand for the man that build the program and put the school on the map was then not now. Unfortunately the University in its attempt to appease the masses bent over. For that the Paterno name has been scrubbed from college football unless it is absolutely necessary to mention it. At this point to rename the field only gives the haters another crack at the Paterno family, program, University, alumni, etc. No need for that, the outside world will never get it or let it go. This totally sucks but no way I want to relive that f-ing nightmare. Sorry, Joe deserved better but we need to move on.

Well, we don’t care what Trolly McTroller thinks so we’re even. Also you need to take a remedial English class because your trolling posts are difficult to understand.

We all know Joe got shafted by a cowardice BOT and railroaded by Surma as a family vendetta. The time to correct the image and stand for the man that build the program and put the school on the map was then not now. Unfortunately the University in its attempt to appease the masses bent over. For that the Paterno name has been scrubbed from college football unless it is absolutely necessary to mention it. At this point to rename the field only gives the haters another crack at the Paterno family, program, University, alumni, etc. No need for that, the outside world will never get it or let it go. This totally sucks but no way I want to relive that f-ing nightmare. Sorry, Joe deserved better but we need to move on.
I disagree. I think the only reason this narrative stuck is because PSU never fought back.

Cowardly is as cowardly does.

Wasn't Joe on record for very much not wanting this to happen be it when he was alive still or dead?
He also did not like the statue and very much wished it was not "a thing".

I just find it odd that folks want to "honor" someone in a method that the Honoree had stated in the past they did not want to have done.

It’s unwise to even attempt this. It will just bring the vultures back out and again paint the university in a bad light.
disagree. As we've seen in the years since, no one cares any longer about the s*xual abuse of young people by college employees.

Doubt that's why this came up. It's being discussed amongst those that have been pushing for all things Paterno for years... Lubrano, Jay, Brandon Short, Ted Brown. So this is little more than the usual faction of alumni elected trustees that ran on this platform and got PS4RS endorsements trying to do something. I doubt it will go anywhere because as we all know, they don't have the votes to do anything.
I disagree. Don't be naive how this game gets played. The people that run the U have no ethics nor morals, but they are not stupid. They will now let the alumni reps do their bidding to raise $$. It's been 10 years now of marginalizing the alumni voice. The alumni wanted the truth. The people who run the U (ex Pres and BOD) wanted the coverup. They won. They wrote the fictitious story. Now, alumni, they want and need your money again, so we are going to get played. All the people who went to PSU with Joe as the coach are getting old and our bank accounts are full.
If I'm wrong, then show me the evidence that Joe had anything to do with the Second Mile. What's the Second Mile you ask? Yeah, disappeared real quick once the fictitious story blamed Joe.

Last edited:
I disagree. Don't be naive how this game gets played. The people that run the U have no ethics nor morals, but they are not stupid. They will now let the alumni reps do their bidding to raise $$. It's been 10 years now of marginalizing the alumni voice. The alumni wanted the truth. The people who run the U (ex Pres and BOD) wanted the coverup. They won. They wrote the fictitious story. Now, alumni, they want and need your money again, so we are going to get played. All the people who went to PSU with Joe as the coach are getting old and our bank accounts are full.
If I'm wrong, then show me the evidence that Joe had anything to do with the Second Mile. What's the Second Mile you ask? Yeah, disappeared real quick once the fictitious story blamed Joe.

I think we mostly all realize that if the university honors Joe (like via naming the stadium) it would 100% be done to increase donations and 0% be to actual recognize the man. But many of us, even recognizing the cynical act, would be happy to at least see the University do the right thing, even if it is for the wrong reason.

Joe has been honored all he is going to be. Sold his soul for 409 and karma took care of the rest. Those other coaches with stadium / fields named after them retired with honor. Joe did not.
You couldn’t carry Joe’s jockstrap. Next to Benjamin Franklin, Joe Paterno is the greatest Pennsylvanian in history and impacted more lives for the good than anyone. 100 years from now people will still be talking about Joe Paterno and no one, absolutely no one, will even know you ever lived. And just a reminder, neither does anyone give a $hit what you think. So quit running your mouth and beat it. You’re a loser and we don’t waste our time with losers like you.

Reactions: Ski and joeaubie21
In Tuscaloosa, the Bear Bryant Museum is very impressive. Penn State should have a Joe Paterno Museum and not just an all-sports museum.
What should be done is when Sue leaves this earth benefactors should buy his beautiful home and, in conjunction with the children, turn it into the Paterno museum. It would be one of the top places to see for all visitors to Centre County.

Post Gazette article today said Jay spoke against it today.
Was a PR stunt of sorts. Jay and Lubrano almost assuredly planned this out. Lubrano raises it for a vote which gives Jay a platform to make a fancy speech that gets captured on the record and in the meeting minutes. Jay made sure to get his shot in on Franklin too by including a comment specifically about the football team's APR number dropping. Then they pull it from a vote because they knew from the very beginning that it didn't have a chance in hell to pass in the first place. Brandon Short's comments were the most interesting, he called out those using Joe's name in such a manner.

As an alternative, I believe it is better to rename Curtin Road between University Drive and Porter Road as --- Paterno Way. Make the address for the stadium 409 Paterno Way and BJC as 1 Paterno Way. Also, name the Player Entrance to Beaver Stadium at 409 Paterno Way -- Success with Honor.

Naming the field Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium only gets mentioned 6/7 times a year at Football games.

My way to honor JVP gets him mentioned on all mail to/from BJC and Beaver Stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT