ADVERTISEMENT

Beaver Stadium - Renovate or Replace?

I agree. The concessions are a miniscule issue here when you are talking about replacing the entire freakin stadium. I guess I'm just venting about the whole idea. :)
Fair enough.....and nothing wrong with making something better, even if it is one of the little "somethings" :)

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was a joke.

Why in the freakin world would you waste millions more of our dollars to replace the best freakin stadium in all of sports????? If we have to replace some plumbing, let's replace some plumbing. But unless there is something they aren't telling us concerning the structural integrity of the facility, replacing the Beav would be the most brain dead idea I have heard this year.

I remember when they replaced Three Rivers Stadium with that piece of crap Heinz Field. All the Home Field Advantage the Steelers had left Pittsburgh with Three Rivers Stadium.

Because of that stupid open end, all the crowd noise leaves Heinz Field. I absolutely hate that stadium. Beaver Stadium and the old Three Rivers Stadium makes a sold out Heinz Field sound like a morgue. At least Lincoln Financial in Philadelphia was smart enough to enclose the field on all 4 sides. Lincoln Financial makes Heinz Field look and feel like a High School Stadium.

There is one major change that I would be totally on board with concerning Beaver Stadium. As much as I like the name "Beaver Stadium", I would enthusiastically change the name to "Paterno Stadium" in a heartbeat.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Three Rivers, The Vet, Busch Stadium, and all the other multi-purpose stadiums they built in the 1970's are all gone for a good reason... because they were the worst stadiums ever conceived. The reason for building them was so that cities could use the same stadium for both football and baseball, but what you ended up with was a stadium that provided a terrible experience for both sports.

The concessions are sorely lacking. Many stadiums offer high quality food these days, some even going as far as having expensive gourmet options. PSU offers frozen burgers and hot dogs. It's awful.

That's a food service choice that doesn't exactly require massive changes.

LOL she was not!! She transitioned to a new role at the University, in other words they promoted her!! My god, here's the clip for you....
http://news.berkeley.edu/2014/06/27/barbour-transition/

Now this is funny. She was removed from her AD position. She did not receive a raise, extension of her contract, or any other benefit for this 'promotion,' nor was a buyout necessary to terminate her contract when she came to PSU for what in your eyes was a downgrade in position and responsibilities. Sounds like Cal really wanted her as opposed to just giving her some busy work while she openly shopped for that downgraded position again. No, she wasn't fired from her AD position at all.

If they go the renovation route they need to improve lighting for night games. The upper south end zone is extremely dark for night games. Perhaps more lighting across the top of the press box and add some to the luxury boxes.

heim field at surma stadium

oBoHuY0.gif

I've heard the College Sports Radio guys talking about a new stadium, maybe it was at an SEC or ACC school. Anyway, there are actually apartments/condos that you can buy that are right at the stadium. The average fan couldnt afford these, but imagine that the revenue for selling these would help pay for a good chunk of end zone seats for us chumps.

OK, if they take out the bleachers/seats, how much would you guys pay for to have a seat or portion of your bench in your man cave?

Has it occurred to anyone that the athletic department might not fund this themselves? I have no idea what they're considering, but maybe the university understands the role athletics plays in promoting the university, and they kick in at least part of the cost.

Also, there's talk about consolidating the athletic department in one area. We have people in White Building, Rec Hall, etc. maybe part of the deal is moving everyone to the stadium/BJC/etc area and the university gets those buildings to do with what they want (most likely tear down and build something for academics). They're not creating more land in the central/western campus. If that happens... I wonder if the Lion Shrine is moved.

Has it occurred to anyone that the athletic department might not fund this themselves? I have no idea what they're considering, but maybe the university understands the role athletics plays in promoting the university, and they kick in at least part of the cost.

Also, there's talk about consolidating the athletic department in one area. We have people in White Building, Rec Hall, etc. maybe part of the deal is moving everyone to the stadium/BJC/etc area and the university gets those buildings to do with what they want (most likely tear down and build something for academics). They're not creating more land in the central/western campus. If that happens... I wonder if the Lion Shrine is moved.
What a great idea! Have the taxpyayers and students subsidize a sports palace to "promote the university". I wouldn't put it past them.

I think that building a new stadium with a retractable roof would be the way to go to get more use out of it if the decision is to build new. Why build another behemoth that is only for PSU games? Problem is, who else is going to use it? I think it is all a pipe dream just meant to line some peoples pockets with even more cash. Times are changing and people now want to spend their disposable income on other things. Look how great attendance has been at BJC for basketball where they use curtains to close off the upper levels. There may come a day where you will see that at Beaver Stadium, using those vinyl banners to close off the unused upper sections..

heim field at surma stadium

oBoHuY0.gif
My boss is pissed beyond belief at your suggestion. As we share an admittedly small pour of some $1000 / glass swill that she was coerced to purchase in Sonoma, she is pacing back and forth ("to and fro" for you cultural elitists, but I digress) wondering why there hasn't been any mention of a "Peetz Pavilion".

I don't really care, but the strings on her sarong are getting looser with each step. I think this is the textbook definition of an "ethical dilemma"

My boss is pissed beyond belief at your suggestion. As we share an admittedly small pour of some $1000 / glass swill that she was coerced to purchase in Sonoma, she is pacing back and forth ("to and fro" for you cultural elitists, but I digress) wondering why there hasn't been any mention of a "Peetz Pavilion".

I don't really care, but the strings on her sarong are getting looser with each step. I think this is the textbook definition of an "ethical dilemma"

Did you tell her there is a strong grass roots campaign to rename not just one, but multiple, nay all, facilities in the tailgating areas in her honor?

I would love to see a new stadium replace Beaver Stadium. I look at Texas A&M and see an awesome example of what they did to Kyle Field. Costs to renovate that place were over $450 million. I tend to think a new stadium wouldn't be too much different in terms of costs. What would you guys do? Renovate or Replace?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...lions-seek-beaver-stadium-improvements-100115
Absolutely no artificial turf. That sod is sacred ground. You don't alter it in any way

Don't change a thing. We have the loudest stadium in college football and best environment I've ever been a part of. Best sod in the nation as well. If you want to see concerts or hockey, go somewhere else. If you want to eat gourmet food stop by a tailgate. This is the house that JoePa built. A beacon on the hill and iconic monument to Central PA

Make this one last a bit longer but plan to build a new one within the next ten years. However, it is better to borrow money now (low interest rate) and start building as soon as possible.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Make this one last a bit longer but plan to build a new one within the next ten years. However, it is better to borrow money now (low interest rate) and start building as soon as possible.

And the cash to service this mountain of debt will come from where? Do you have a sense of the order of magnitude? If you have no clue, why don't you ask Sandy?

And the cash to service this mountain of debt will come from where? Do you have a sense of the order of magnitude? If you have no clue, why don't you ask Sandy?

I guess we could follow the suggestion of one poster and rely on the professors of Finance and undergrad Finance majors to figure it out. After all, we are a World Class University, and we have all these resources at our fingertips. Just like designing and overseeing the construction of a new stadium.

I guess we could follow the suggestion of one poster and rely on the professors of Finance and undergrad Finance majors to figure it out. After all, we are a World Class University, and we have all these resources at our fingertips. Just like designing and overseeing the construction of a new stadium.

Nah, a basic calculator would do. But you have to think before you start pushing the buttons and that would be a challenge for some posters.

Reactions: Cruising Route 66
Art, the mountain of cash needed to serve the debt will grow as interest rates rise and moreover you are paying this debt with cheaper dollars. So, go ahead and borrow now!

I imagine Penn State would be the first university with a larger on-campus stadium to tear their's down and build a new one. It seems highly unlikely.

Reactions: NelsonMunce
Don't change a thing. We have the loudest stadium in college football and best environment I've ever been a part of. Best sod in the nation as well. If you want to see concerts or hockey, go somewhere else. If you want to eat gourmet food stop by a tailgate. This is the house that JoePa built. A beacon on the hill and iconic monument to Central PA

Obligatory "WHAT WOULD JOE'S OPINION BE ON THIS SUBJECT MATTER?!?!?!" Post....

Art, the mountain of cash needed to serve the debt will grow as interest rates rise and moreover you are paying this debt with cheaper dollars. So, go ahead and borrow now!

And pay it off with what? You treat the decision to build as if it were inevitable, which it may be given the current PSU leadership. But a prudent person determines if he or she has the means to pay before deciding to borrow. Have you paused for even a second to contemplate what happens if the Athletic Department doesn't generate sufficient cash to service the debt even a low interest rates?

Here's a simple math problem for you: what's the annual interest on $500 million at 4% ?

And pay it off with what? You treat the decision to build as if it were inevitable, which it may be given the current PSU leadership. But a prudent person determines if he or she has the means to pay before deciding to borrow. Have you paused for even a second to contemplate what happens if the Athletic Department doesn't generate sufficient cash to service the debt even a low interest rates?

Here's a simple math problem for you: what's the annual interest on $500 million at 4% ?

You think $500Million will build a new stadium?

On a related note, seems interesting to me that a few short years ago, even some members of the (then) BoT thought doing away with football was a good idea. And now....a new stadium are at least somewhat contemplated.

Reactions: 91Joe95
You think $500Million will build a new stadium?

On a related note, seems interesting to me that a few short years ago, even some members of the (then) BoT thought doing away with football was a good idea. And now....a new stadium are at least somewhat contemplated.

Don't really know, just tossed out a ballpark number that might have to be borrowed. aTm is borrowing little or nothing to finance the renovation of Kyle Field. Could PSU tap similar sources? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Pluming and bleacher upgrades are understandable, my back kills me after a game their (maybe some seats with backs) ; but more concession options? I've never heard in my 25 years attending games a person say, "Oh, we'll just grab something to eat at the stadium. Most people plan a tailgate or walk downtown before or after the game. Replacing Beaver Stadium isn't an option but renovations are needed.

But I have heard, and said myself, on more then one occasion "holy crap the food they sell here is awful".

Why would PSU spend (waste) half a billion dollars or more to replace a steel structure that is structurally sound? I think this talk is just lip service.

Gradual upgrades, similar to what has been done to the stadium over the last 50 years, is the practical solution. A better question is what are the priorities for improving the stadium?

• Scoreboard is killer now.
  • More individual seating?
  • Larger concession areas at upper levels?
  • Improved rest rooms?
  • ??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT