ADVERTISEMENT

Beaver Stadium - Renovate or Replace?

Let me put it this way - I'm building a new house in PA...why the hell would I call someone from halfway across the country to tell me what I want in my house? Shouldn't I be able to decide that for myself? Building is another story, but is it too much to trust my own highly qualified brain to think for itself a little?
Because they're the best homebuilders in the world. Far and away. It's not as simple as building a house. I also listed two other reasons why you would have an outside firm that you ignored.

Here's what bothers me about the article - you have a world-class university at your disposal with highly touted schools of engineering and architecture (and the brilliant minds running said departments), and you decide to hire a firm from Kansas City. What!??!

That firm from Kansas City specializes in Stadiums. Scott Radicec (former LB'r) is one of the principals.
I think they did the new Minny Stadium.

Elitist may be the wrong word. But there is a small but overly vocal portion of the fan base that turns every perceived slight into some butt hurt conspiracy. Some of that portion of the fan base turn anything into a reason to play the victim card. It gets old. And hypocritical considering outside of PSU football, a lot of these same people are the "stop complaining and being so sensitive, deal with it" types.
Yeah, maybe this is what I'm searching for. I just am shocked that even one person can honestly be upset that PSU hired the best people in the world at this trade to conduct a survey.

I would love to see a new stadium replace Beaver Stadium. I look at Texas A&M and see an awesome example of what they did to Kyle Field. Costs to renovate that place were over $450 million. I tend to think a new stadium wouldn't be too much different in terms of costs. What would you guys do? Renovate or Replace?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...lions-seek-beaver-stadium-improvements-100115
Just tear down the seats blocking Mt. Nittany and upgrade the rest rooms. Cheap. No school needs a a football palace or 100K+ seats designed by some fancy-schmancy pro football architect.

Elitist may be the wrong word. But there is a small but overly vocal portion of the fan base that turns every perceived slight into some butt hurt conspiracy. Some of that portion of the fan base turn anything into a reason to play the victim card. It gets old. And hypocritical considering outside of PSU football, a lot of these same people are the "stop complaining and being so sensitive, deal with it" types.
Again, apologies for the misunderstanding. I never perceived using an outside source to conduct a survey as either a slight or a conspiracy. My point was that considering all of the $$ stolen from the NCAA, why not stay in house when possible, especially when you have more than qualified minds at your disposal? No butt hurt here...too busy being an elitist asshole for that!!

Yeah, maybe this is what I'm searching for. I just am shocked that even one person can honestly be upset that PSU hired the best people in the world at this trade to conduct a survey.
That's not what you're shocked at...otherwise why start the name-calling?

I apologize for the obvious misunderstanding. There wasn't a single portion of that quote which suggests elitism. Again, you have to read it with a preconceived notion to come away with it what you did. So I get it...Penn Staters are elitist cult members who only concern themselves with what is in their own little bubble, right? Your bias pal, not mine.

Let me put it this way - I'm building a new house in PA...why the hell would I call someone from halfway across the country to tell me what I want in my house? Shouldn't I be able to decide that for myself? Building is another story, but is it too much to trust my own highly qualified brain to think for itself a little?

Because there is a big difference between building a house, and being a specialty firm that builds stadiums. Your local construction firm is not going to have the expertise to design, plan out, manage and oversee the construction of a multi-million dollar stadium.

Dude - stop while you are behind. It's to the point of embarrassment.

Again, apologies for the misunderstanding. I never perceived using an outside source to conduct a survey as either a slight or a conspiracy. My point was that considering all of the $$ stolen from the NCAA, why not stay in house when possible, especially when you have more than qualified minds at your disposal? No butt hurt here...too busy being an elitist asshole for that!!
I, several other posters in this thread, have provided three reasons why you don't do this in-house. It's clear that you're not interested and want to fault your administration. I won't try to get between you and you're baseless hatred any longer. Have a good one.

Some of you might not care, but comments like this are why you tend to get labeled as being elitists and cult members. You don't think anyone from the outside world can help you.

Here is where you go off the rails. One person questions the choice of architects, and this is your response? Yeah, you've got nothing against Penn State.

Here is where you go off the rails. One person questions the choice of architects, and this is your response? Yeah, you've got nothing against Penn State.
A bad apple spoils the bunch in any group. If you've never heard of PSU people being called elitist, I'm not sure where you are. I fully admit that this is a huge generalization and that I know plenty of PSU people (most of which are far from elitists). But, comments like his/hers are what give that sense of elitism.

The vast majority of people in this thread aren't like that at all, but the one bad apple is what sticks in people's minds.

Thank you!!

To the rest of the posters (psuro et al), my sincerest apology. I am ignorant in many things in this world (including architecture apparently), but I do pride myself in being able to call out an asshat when I see one. Thus, I give you GENAC!!!

Getting back to the original topic- I'd say remove the north upper deck and make it like the 1 LSU end zone with a tiered appearance from sideline to sideline (no corner gaps) and as steep as allowed to keep the noise in. Make those chair back seats.

lsu-tiger-stadium-expansion-south-endzone.jpg

Then renovate underneath as needed for walkways/ bathrooms/ concession stands etc. Upgrade the press box section to match the west boxes. Finally, add in a ton of escalators/ elevators wherever possible along an expanded periphery with the construction of a nice facade around the stadium to get rid of the erector set look. That's not asking much is it? ;)

Edit- While the architect group hired is very well known and experienced- my 1 fear with them is that they are used to creating sterile, corporate crowd venues that are not as loud or intimidating as older stadiums (especially college stadiums). Psu would have to make that a point of emphasis with them.

Last edited:
Here's what bothers me about the article - you have a world-class university at your disposal with highly touted schools of engineering and architecture (and the brilliant minds running said departments), and you decide to hire a firm from Kansas City. What!??!
LOL. No. Just, no.

I used it because it is the largest NFL stadium and has 80K seats, not the 100K seats the OP was looking for in a new stadium.
Comparing the NFL to college in stadium build is tough. The NFL stadiums are smaller for good reason. The owners get to keep a larger amount of revenue from luxury boxes than they do for normal seating. Luxury boxes are more prevalent in the NFL and hold fewer people, therefore NFL stadiums tend to have a lower capacity but that ultimately benefits the owners.
I'd like to see it used more than 6-7 times a year but if its for HS football and championship games
they would have to use field turf (see Heinz field in about 5 weeks) and I'd hate for us to not have
Natural Grass.
100% agree. I would hate to lose the beautiful natural grass field that we have.

I'd also like to keep the seating capacity high, as being such a huge stadium helps create a sense of pride and an indimidating environment. I'm a firm believer that while attendance has dropped, if the team wins the fans will fill the seats again. Texas A&M just underwent a massive expansion and they have a rural campus in the middle of nowhere, similar to us. It can be done. Win, and they will come.

Pluming and bleacher upgrades are understandable, my back kills me after a game their (maybe some seats with backs) ; but more concession options? I've never heard in my 25 years attending games a person say, "Oh, we'll just grab something to eat at the stadium. Most people plan a tailgate or walk downtown before or after the game. Replacing Beaver Stadium isn't an option but renovations are needed.

I want a JoeDome with a retractable roof and wide cushy seats. Oh and scantily clad females serving beer.

RM_4535_CST2014.jpg

That's the kind of kick a$$ insightful thinking that's going to make you a "Penn State assistant associate athletic director in charge of stadium construction and beer" my friend!! ;)

As an engineering professor for 34 yrs and 11 years in big industry before that... University professors are the very last people you choose to actually do a big project like a football stadium. The delusions we teach worked well on you. (kidding, a little)

Reactions: bytir
That's the kind of kick a$$ insightful thinking that's going to make you a "Penn State assistant associate athletic director in charge of stadium construction and beer" my friend!! ;)
I'm posturing for the Deputy Assistant Athletic Director of Creative Financing. It sounds like they have an opening for one of those.

Reactions: psu00
I'd call him a genius, but I usually only reserve that term for people Archimedes, Newton, Gauss, Hilbert, Madame Curie, Einstein, Feynmann and Marylin vos Savant:D - and some others. PPB is damn close.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and psu00
Keep the current structure and remodel the outside and restrooms along with locker rooms and refreshment stands. The cost to rebuild would be high and if you have fewer seats, than the ticket prices plus the extortion fee would rise tremendously. You will not even fill an 80,000 seat stadium if this happens. The environment for games is hostile and where will you build. Will you take up more parking area and make the game day experience terrible. Have you ever been to the Carrier Dome. There is no game experience there and you need shuttles to get to the stadium. Same experience at Rutgers. If you lose the game day experience, you will lose the fans.

Reactions: NelsonMunce
Black Shoes
Basic Blues

Erector Set
Don't Add Debt

Pluming and bleacher upgrades are understandable, my back kills me after a game their (maybe some seats with backs) ; but more concession options? I've never heard in my 25 years attending games a person say, "Oh, we'll just grab something to eat at the stadium. Most people plan a tailgate or walk downtown before or after the game. Replacing Beaver Stadium isn't an option but renovations are needed.

The concessions are sorely lacking. Many stadiums offer high quality food these days, some even going as far as having expensive gourmet options. PSU offers frozen burgers and hot dogs. It's awful.

The concessions are sorely lacking. Many stadiums offer high quality food these days, some even going as far as having expensive gourmet options. PSU offers frozen burgers and hot dogs. It's awful.
I took notice of that when my friend got something to eat prior to the Rutgers game. Reminded me of a pretty good high school concession stand.

Oh yeah, the concessions stands are awful. You'd think they'd work with some of the restaurants downtown to set up shop in the stadium? Or even the campus ones? I'd love to get some Big Onion at Beaver Stadium!

Replace.
No more than 100,000 seats. No bleachers. All individual seats.
Get seats as close to the field as allowed all the way around. Make it a hostile environment
Make sure the acoustics of design keep crowd noise on the field
Design to remove the ingress/outflow crowd bottlenecks
Ditto for traffic bottlenecks
Get in the running to host B1G championship games
Host Annual High School All Star game (e.g. PA-MD, PA-NJ, B33) July
Design in better parking situation (of all types)
more to follow......
I don't think you could get the seats much closer than they are now..

A bad apple spoils the bunch in any group. If you've never heard of PSU people being called elitist, I'm not sure where you are. I fully admit that this is a huge generalization and that I know plenty of PSU people (most of which are far from elitists). But, comments like his/hers are what give that sense of elitism.

The vast majority of people in this thread aren't like that at all, but the one bad apple is what sticks in people's minds.

I am an elitist. But that's because I am better than you.

I would love to see a new stadium replace Beaver Stadium. I look at Texas A&M and see an awesome example of what they did to Kyle Field. Costs to renovate that place were over $450 million. I tend to think a new stadium wouldn't be too much different in terms of costs. What would you guys do? Renovate or Replace?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...lions-seek-beaver-stadium-improvements-100115

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was a joke.

Why in the freakin world would you waste millions more of our dollars to replace the best freakin stadium in all of sports????? If we have to replace some plumbing, let's replace some plumbing. But unless there is something they aren't telling us concerning the structural integrity of the facility, replacing the Beav would be the most brain dead idea I have heard this year.

I remember when they replaced Three Rivers Stadium with that piece of crap Heinz Field. All the Home Field Advantage the Steelers had left Pittsburgh with Three Rivers Stadium.

Because of that stupid open end, all the crowd noise leaves Heinz Field. I absolutely hate that stadium. Beaver Stadium and the old Three Rivers Stadium makes a sold out Heinz Field sound like a morgue. At least Lincoln Financial in Philadelphia was smart enough to enclose the field on all 4 sides. Lincoln Financial makes Heinz Field look and feel like a High School Stadium.

There is one major change that I would be totally on board with concerning Beaver Stadium. As much as I like the name "Beaver Stadium", I would enthusiastically change the name to "Paterno Stadium" in a heartbeat.

Replace.
No more than 100,000 seats. No bleachers. All individual seats.
Get seats as close to the field as allowed all the way around. Make it a hostile environment
Make sure the acoustics of design keep crowd noise on the field
Design to remove the ingress/outflow crowd bottlenecks
Ditto for traffic bottlenecks
Get in the running to host B1G championship games
Host Annual High School All Star game (e.g. PA-MD, PA-NJ, B33) July
Design in better parking situation (of all types)
more to follow......

I don't know anyone who doesn't like new toys and things.
What would it take to build a new 100,000 seat playground? I don't know but it has to be in the neighborhood of a $1Billion. With $700-$800 million in financing? For 50 or more years? Tell you what - I'm not even sure college football is going to be worth it in 25 years and I'm not sure that the younger alums are going to have the same passion that the aging fan base has now, who are a mostly JoePa-era group.

Fix it up as best you can. There are more important things to do with hundreds of millions of $$$, like trying to keep tuition under control.

So what??? I'm there to watch a football game. Not eat a astronomically overpriced dinner.
In best Jim Mora impersonation:

"Concessions?? We're talking about Concessions??"
"Food.....at a football game? You gotta' be kidding me!"

In all seriousness though....the idea that "concessions" would be even the tiniest issue in the "renovation" conundrum?
Are you kidding me.....if THAT is an issue it can be solved tomorrow.

Probably wouldn't cost a dime.....probably would actually be a revenue generator
Lease out existing spaces (with some $$$ going into a bit of retro-fit and utilities upgrades) to outside contractors....local restaurants, franchises, whatever.
You don't think a place like "Champs" or a McDs of a SUBWAY would be happy to come in and set up a shop inside the Beav? Spend $100,000 (tops) on some upgrades.....then lease them out a space and collect a cut of revenue.

Local outfits would probably be best.....since they would see the biggest benefit from the "brand exposure" to 100,000 Penn Staters on a Saturday.

I think they already have one or two "Sheetz" locations inside the stadium (though I do think they are in a "trailer" type setup)

It ain't rocket surgery.

Because... Increased revenue is good for the program and university???

If someone could prove to me that it would be revenue positive for the University, I would be on board. But I get pi$$ed off when I have to buy a $4.00 bottle of water. Someone like me isn't going to pay for more expensive food when I can buy it right outside the stadium for half the price.

In best Jim Mora impersonation:

"Concessions?? We're talking about Concessions??"
"Food.....at a football game? You gotta' be kidding me!"

In all seriousness though....the idea that "concessions" would be even the tiniest issue in the "renovation" conundrum?
Are you kidding me.....if THAT is an issue it can be solved tomorrow.

Probably wouldn't cost a dime.....probably would actually be a revenue generator
Lease out existing spaces (with some $$$ going into a bit of retro-fit and utilities upgrades) to outside contractors....local restaurants, franchises, whatever.
You don't think a place like "Champs" or a McDs of a SUBWAY would be happy to come in and set up a shop inside the Beav? Spend $100,000 (tops) on some upgrades.....then lease them out a space and collect a cut of revenue.

Local outfits would probably be best.....since they would see the biggest benefit from the "brand exposure" to 100,000 Penn Staters on a Saturday.

I think they already have one or two "Sheetz" locations inside the stadium (though I do think they are in a "trailer" type setup)

It ain't rocket surgery.

I agree. The concessions are a miniscule issue here when you are talking about replacing the entire freakin stadium. I guess I'm just venting about the whole idea. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT