ADVERTISEMENT

Beaver Stadium - Renovate or Replace?

Replace.
No more than 100,000 seats. No bleachers. All individual seats.
Get seats as close to the field as allowed all the way around. Make it a hostile environment
Make sure the acoustics of design keep crowd noise on the field
Design to remove the ingress/outflow crowd bottlenecks
Ditto for traffic bottlenecks
Get in the running to host B1G championship games
Host Annual High School All Star game (e.g. PA-MD, PA-NJ, B33) July
Design in better parking situation (of all types)
more to follow......

Replacing it may be easier that you think. I'm not an architect but it seems to me the east suites and south upper deck aren't structurally a part of the remainder of the stadium. Whenever a new press box is built to mirror the east suites, other work can be done by working around the east suites and south deck. Removing the erector set construction shouldn't be too difficult and time could be saved by using prefabricated pieces when possible whether it be concrete or steel. Heck, they could put a temporary concrete plant on site to precast pieces and pour if necessary. It's all a pipe dream though since money is tight due to the assistant AD salaries.

Here's what bothers me about the article - you have a world-class university at your disposal with highly touted schools of engineering and architecture (and the brilliant minds running said departments), and you decide to hire a firm from Kansas City. What!??!

Here's what bothers me about the article - you have a world-class university at your disposal with highly touted schools of engineering and architecture (and the brilliant minds running said departments), and you decide to hire a firm from Kansas City. What!??!
Populous is one of the big Architect firms that do stadium and arenas. Scott Radecic is a principle and one of the founders.

I think Populous (then HOK) designed the south upper deck. If that's an example of their best work I'm not impressed.
Populous is very likely the best in the world at what they do. The University's architecture department isn't equipped for a massive, department-wide project like this; Populous does this every single day. Chastise the Athletic Department for some things, but not for hiring the best firm in the world to design its master plan.

(Note: this is also in response to Player2Bnamedl8r)

A st
Replace.
Get seats as close to the field as allowed all the way around. Make it a hostile environment
more to follow......

100,000 SEATS? That would be one expensive stadium. Just to put it in perspective, MetLife Stadium has 80,000 seats. It is enormous and was ridiculous expensive.

Could build it in Green parking area while still letting the Beav be in use. Once it's done, demolish beav and put the parking there. Colts did that with RCA dome and Lucas Oil.

Populous builds practically every major sporting venue in the country. I think they have a pretty good presence globally too but not certain about that. Do you want deans and professors just working on blueprints in the evening after a long day of running the academics? Stopping in on weekends and in-between classes, office hours, and staff meetings to check on the construction? Some of you might not care, but comments like this are why you tend to get labeled as being elitists and cult members. You don't think anyone from the outside world can help you.

A st

100,000 SEATS? That would be one expensive stadium. Just to put it in perspective, MetLife Stadium has 80,000 seats. It is enormous and was ridiculous expensive.

When the lowest tickets are $80 and the seat licenses double to pay for this I think we'll see a ridiculous exodus of season ticket holders.

A st

That's also an ultra-modern NFL facility in the NYC metro area built to host MAJOR events. Even if PSU's new stadium could attract some concerts, a Winter Classic, and some other events, it doesn't need the amenities that the largest sporting venue in the NYC metro area needs.

I would love to see a new stadium replace Beaver Stadium. I look at Texas A&M and see an awesome example of what they did to Kyle Field. Costs to renovate that place were over $450 million. I tend to think a new stadium wouldn't be too much different in terms of costs. What would you guys do? Renovate or Replace?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...lions-seek-beaver-stadium-improvements-100115
Whatever you do, you better recognize that CFB is not a growing sport. I cannot imagine that the average age is getting any younger--indeed I think I have read that the average age of CFB fans is rising every year.

With that in mind, a 90k stadium would suit the purpose. The fact is, I am not so sure that there WILL be a whole lot of CFB being played 25 years from now. LOTS of folks are keeping their kids out of football at the younger ages because of head injury scares, whether such reports are a legit reason to be scared or not.

Not sure in light of this whether it makes any financial sense whatsoever to dump a whole bunch of $$ into a FB stadium.

Not sure in light of this whether it makes any financial sense whatsoever to dump a whole bunch of $$ into a FB stadium.

Tell this to the lady that just built a $321 million stadium on an earthquake fault line 2 years ago, got fired in part because of it, was unemployed, and then got hired at a premium by penn state when nobody else wanted her.

Tell this to the lady that just built a $321 million stadium on an earthquake fault line 2 years ago, got fired in part because of it, was unemployed, and then got hired at a premium by penn state when nobody else wanted her.
get your stories straight, Sandy was not fired, nor was she unemployed at the time of the PSU hire. Sandy was merely re-assigned within the athletic department at Cal.

That's also an ultra-modern NFL facility in the NYC metro area built to host MAJOR events. Even if PSU's new stadium could attract some concerts, a Winter Classic, and some other events, it doesn't need the amenities that the largest sporting venue in the NYC metro area needs.

I used it because it is the largest NFL stadium and has 80K seats, not the 100K seats the OP was looking for in a new stadium.

I would love to see a new stadium replace Beaver Stadium. I look at Texas A&M and see an awesome example of what they did to Kyle Field. Costs to renovate that place were over $450 million. I tend to think a new stadium wouldn't be too much different in terms of costs. What would you guys do? Renovate or Replace?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...lions-seek-beaver-stadium-improvements-100115
I kinda' figured this was common knowledge by now.....but maybe it isn't.

From what I've heard - and I think it is pretty solid - the idea of replacing Beaver Stadium (building a new stadium, and tearing down the old one) has become "Option A" in the long-term plan.

ICA and the University leadership have - from what I have been told - been working on the details and starting to "float some balloons" on the decision.
I - obviously - am not personally privy to any of those meetings, but I've heard enough from enough folks that I expect it is simply a "when", not "if" situation.

I won't get into any commentary as to the wisdom involved.

get your stories straight, Sandy was not fired, nor was she unemployed at the time of the PSU hire. Sandy was merely re-assigned within the athletic department at Cal.
th

Go back to Beaver Field on West Campus. Two grandstands. Rah! Rah! Fight!

Duh.

Let's keep the facts straight. Barbour didn't build Memorial Stadium on the Hayward Fault. It was built in the early 1920s and had to retrofitted, along with other buildings on Cal's campus, to insure safety. That being said, Barbour added a $150mm+ training center that Cal could ill-afford and bungled the financing of the entire project. Cal is now in hock to the tune of $445mm for 100 years.

Having Barbour in charge of any major capital construction project should scare the beejesus out of any sane person.

You are joking, right? You want a bunch of kids and Ivory Tower Professors to actually design and oversee the building of a new stadium? Aside from the obvious lack of real world experience these people have, when you contract out the design and oversight, by nature of the contracts (unless the owner of the project aka Penn State), are complete buffoons, they add in layers of liability protection for faulty design. You don't get that when you stay in house.

so to be clear, she was not fired, also she not unemployed at the time of her hire by PSU, correct?

There are dozens, if not hundreds of profs, who get paid $500K p.a. to develop sports management programs for their university's night school. Yeah, that gig was going to last indefinitely.

But, if you insist on verbal precision, she was removed from her position as athletic director at Cal before she was hired by PSU.

Populous builds practically every major sporting venue in the country. I think they have a pretty good presence globally too but not certain about that. Do you want deans and professors just working on blueprints in the evening after a long day of running the academics? Stopping in on weekends and in-between classes, office hours, and staff meetings to check on the construction? Some of you might not care, but comments like this are why you tend to get labeled as being elitists and cult members. You don't think anyone from the outside world can help you.
Sorry, calling bullshit on this one. Never did I suggest that anyone from outside the community couldn't help and you damn well know it. You either have an anti-Penn State itch that needs constant scratching, or you're just dense. Either way, my point was not to have the university "build" the new stadium project, but rather to conduct the type of survey indicated within the article (which I assume you read). Ultimately, as pointed out, the school of architecture isn't designed to assemble the pieces, but they certainly can conduct an interest survey about something so dear to their own community.

There are dozens, if not hundreds of profs, who get paid $500K p.a. to develop sports management programs for their university's night school. Yeah, that gig was going to last indefinitely.

But, if you insist on verbal precision, she was removed from her position as athletic director at Cal before she was hired by PSU.
heck if you look even deeper, it sounds like to me she was promoted at CAL!!!
'At that time, she will transition to a different role at the school: working on the academic side in a sports management program.'

And Ohio Stadium and M*ic*gan Stadium and Notre Dame Stadium and Leyland Stadium and Darrell Royal Stadium....these will also need to be replaced someday as well?
Or is it just that our stadium is so wrecked that it needs to be scrapped?

Sorry, calling bullshit on this one. Never did I suggest that anyone from outside the community couldn't help and you damn well know it. You either have an anti-Penn State itch that needs constant scratching, or you're just dense. Either way, my point was not to have the university "build" the new stadium project, but rather to conduct the type of survey indicated within the article (which I assume you read). Ultimately, as pointed out, the school of architecture isn't designed to assemble the pieces, but they certainly can conduct an interest survey about something so dear to their own community.
The firm you hire to build or renovate is going to want to conduct their own survey and not just go based on one done in-house. Might as well loop them in to begin with. I have nothing against PSU. Read the article, thought it was interesting, and wanted to see what the conversation was like on here. Most people in this thread are completely rational and normal talking about it. Regardless of that, you would want an outside firm for the insurance reasons as another poster mentioned and because you want emotion removed from the equation.

You don't have to like or even care what I think, but comments like your original ones are why outsiders consider many members of your community as elitist. It's not a fair label. I know many PSU people, and most of them are far from elitist. But complaining about hiring "a firm from Kansas City. What!??!" is complaining about hiring the worldwide undisputed leader in this field.

I'll link your original post below.

There are some real "funnies" in that article. Chief among them is this unqualified beauty:

"Penn State's athletic department reported a slight profit in the fiscal year ending June 30, 2014, up from a $6 million loss in 2013, according to a financial report submitted to the NCAA. It had $117.6 million in operating revenue in fiscal 2014."

So....things got a lot better in 2013-14...right? That would be the takeaway from that PRAVDA piece....wouldn't it? About $6 Million better?

What was the biggest budget difference between 2012-13 and 2013-14? Any guesses?

Here's a clue:

th

$6.5 Million buyout (thank you Mr McNair).....which was added right to the bottom line of the PSU AD budget.
You can look it up!

LOL

Yep....that's a good long term strategy.......

Tsunami Barbour: "Anyone wanna' pay us $10 Million for Franklin?"

And most of us keep whistling past the graveyard.

A major renovation/replacement of Beaver stadium will be a DISASTER.....not because of the choice made between renovating/replacement....but because of who will be in charge in either event.

Having Tsunami and the current Braintrust involved ....and expecting to not be in financial chaos for 2 or more generations....would be akin to jumping into the ocean and expecting to not get wet.

Regarding what we all knew and came to take for granted regarding PSU Athletics.....as the old Gunner would say: "You can kiss it good-bye!!!"

heck if you look even deeper, it sounds like to me she was promoted at CAL!!!
'At that time, she will transition to a different role at the school: working on the academic side in a sports management program.'

Really..........

The firm you hire to build or renovate is going to want to conduct their own survey and not just go based on one done in-house. Might as well loop them in to begin with. I have nothing against PSU. Read the article, thought it was interesting, and wanted to see what the conversation was like on here. Most people in this thread are completely rational and normal talking about it. Regardless of that, you would want an outside firm for the insurance reasons as another poster mentioned and because you want emotion removed from the equation.

You don't have to like or even care what I think, but comments like your original ones are why outsiders consider many members of your community as elitist. It's not a fair label. I know many PSU people, and most of them are far from elitist. But complaining about hiring "a firm from Kansas City. What!??!" is complaining about hiring the worldwide undisputed leader in this field.

I'll link your original post below.
I apologize for the obvious misunderstanding. There wasn't a single portion of that quote which suggests elitism. Again, you have to read it with a preconceived notion to come away with it what you did. So I get it...Penn Staters are elitist cult members who only concern themselves with what is in their own little bubble, right? Your bias pal, not mine.

Let me put it this way - I'm building a new house in PA...why the hell would I call someone from halfway across the country to tell me what I want in my house? Shouldn't I be able to decide that for myself? Building is another story, but is it too much to trust my own highly qualified brain to think for itself a little?

Replace.
more to follow......

Good suggestions and I'd even go lower than 100,000 maybe 90,000
I'd like to see it used more than 6-7 times a year but if its for HS football and championship games
they would have to use field turf (see Heinz field in about 5 weeks) and I'd hate for us to not have
Natural Grass.

Reactions: Roethlisberge
I apologize for the obvious misunderstanding. There wasn't a single portion of that quote which suggests elitism. Again, you have to read it with a preconceived notion to come away with it what you did. So I get it...Penn Staters are elitist cult members who only concern themselves with what is in their own little bubble, right? Your bias pal, not mine.

Let me put it this way - I'm building a new house in PA...why the hell would I call someone from halfway across the country to tell me what I want in my house? Shouldn't I be able to decide that for myself? Building is another story, but is it too much to trust my own highly qualified brain to think for itself a little?
Elitist may be the wrong word. But there is a small but overly vocal portion of the fan base that turns every perceived slight into some butt hurt conspiracy. Some of that portion of the fan base turn anything into a reason to play the victim card. It gets old. And hypocritical considering outside of PSU football, a lot of these same people are the "stop complaining and being so sensitive, deal with it" types.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT