ADVERTISEMENT

BC head coach job opens up. Billo to BC?

Thus Spoke Mainer

Mar 6, 2012
Doesn't have to move his family again. The BC HC job should be almost as much money as the OSU OC.

Doesn't have to move his family again. The BC HC job should be almost as much money as the OSU OC.
I noted, in Brenneman's blog, the BC HC clearly states that he moved to get OUT of college ball and into the NFL. He goes on to say that lots of college coaches are going to bail out to go to the NFL based on NIL and the lack of structure/oversight.

I noted, in Brenneman's blog, the BC HC clearly states that he moved to get OUT of college ball and into the NFL. He goes on to say that lots of college coaches are going to bail out to go to the NFL based on NIL and the lack of structure/oversight.
While there may be a lot of college coaches looking to bail, there are only so many available NFL HC/Coordinator jobs available. As long as these HC jobs continue to pay well, there will be some else eager for the opportunity to backfill the position.

Apparently figuring out how to navigate through the NIL 'wild west' will be part of the job description and will determine their on the field success as much as their coaching ability.

While there may be a lot of college coaches looking to bail, there are only so many available NFL HC/Coordinator jobs available. As long as these HC jobs continue to pay well, there will be some else eager for the opportunity to backfill the position.

Apparently figuring out how to navigate through the NIL 'wild west' will be part of the job description and will determine their on the field success as much as their coaching ability.
Agree. But I also disagree. The NFL will pull the cream of the crop. As such, up and comers like this HC of BC, won't be available to the next major college team that needs a HC. Basically, college coaching will get worse. And even more worse for the secondary teams like BC, Kansas and Iowa State.

If Hafley does well as DC for Green Bay, I'm quite certain that a path back to the college game will exist for him and others like him. The money in the college game is too good to think otherwise.

Until they establish rules for NIL that the coaches and administrations are comfortable with, those programs may suffer in the short term.

With changing demographics and interest in sports in general, it will be interesting to see what the ramifications are.

It's a shame that BC, which added a lot to Eastern football in the 1980s and has remained a decent if unspectacular program for many years since then, probably is going to slide into relative obscurity now. I really believe that in another decade, BC may be at the level of a UMass or Holy Cross in football.

Agree. But I also disagree. The NFL will pull the cream of the crop. As such, up and comers like this HC of BC, won't be available to the next major college team that needs a HC. Basically, college coaching will get worse. And even more worse for the secondary teams like BC, Kansas and Iowa State.

If NIL will push good coaches from college because coaches don't want to deal with NIL, do you think it's possible that we could see a subset of good coaches that remain at schools where NIL isn't a (major) factor instead of chasing the next bigger job?

Reactions: psu1969a
Would not be the first time he left a job without coaching a game. I believe their staff was fired at ND. I think it was Oleary who lied on his resume.

He'll probably have more talent to work with at Ohio State than he did in NE. He hasn't coached on a team that won the national championship, yet, so this might be his chance.

He'll probably have more talent to work with at Ohio State than he did in NE. He hasn't coached on a team that won the national championship, yet, so this might be his chance.
Does a guy that left New England with Brady and Alabama really care about a championship? He will go to whoever pays him the most money and he will be miserable wherever he is working.

What a joke if this happens. In an earlier post, I predicted that he would be at another job in two to three years, but I never expected it to be this fast.
You are still right. He will be at another two jobs in two to three years. He will be miserable at BC or wherever he is working.

Huge mistake for him to try to fix his career at BC of all places
He may not want to fix his career as you put it. I’m sure he has quite a bankroll and while some will tell you you can never have enough money maybe he is not that guy. He has tried em all and made a boatload of cash being so so as a coach. Not a bad gig. Now he is back in his native New England and can ride this all out with minimal pressure or care.

He may not want to fix his career as you put it. I’m sure he has quite a bankroll and while some will tell you you can never have enough money maybe he is not that guy. He has tried em all and made a boatload of cash being so so as a coach. Not a bad gig. Now he is back in his native New England and can ride this all out with minimal pressure or care.
All of that is fair but it doesn't match I how view O'Brien. I don't believe for a second that's his thought process but who knows. Maybe his latest stop at NE changed things but a guy that goes to Bama, the Pats then Ohio State doesn't meet what you're describing IMO

The minimum standard for a successful season at BC is 6 wins. Nice gig with no pressure. Exponentially more pressure at OSU as an OC. Would love to see some more life in northeastern football. Maybe Bill can help the cause.

The minimum standard for a successful season at BC is 6 wins. Nice gig with no pressure. Exponentially more pressure at OSU as an OC. Would love to see some more life in northeastern football. Maybe Bill can help the cause.
Cleveland paper said they’ll pay $22m for six years guaranteed. He’s from the Boston area and over 54 years old. Not a bad gig.

All of that is fair but it doesn't match I how view O'Brien. I don't believe for a second that's his thought process but who knows. Maybe his latest stop at NE changed things but a guy that goes to Bama, the Pats then Ohio State doesn't meet what you're describing IMO
He is also the guy that LEFT bama, new england and OSU without winning anything.

He is also the guy that LEFT bama, new england and OSU without winning anything.
By my count, that's his sixth job since the 2013 season if you count the OSU one. The Steelers just hired a receivers coach yesterday, and The Fan Morning Show host read his resume since 2011 or thereabouts this morning, and it sounded like he's had upwards of ten different jobs in that period.

We’ll, this far less talent comes far less expectations. Could stick around several years with mediocre teams and not get heat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT