ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State's NIL/recruiting strategy.

PSUWrestlingFanSince2011

Mar 22, 2022
We have our NIL/ recruiting strategy pretty set.

Recruit solid 4 star kids who actually want to be in the program and dont care only about NIL. Top 15 classes.

Helps create a positive environment and limits locker room issues because of NIL and the players actually want to be here.

Helps reduce future transfers and decommits in recruiting. We had all 25 guys sign with no drama.

Just need a few guys in the transfer portals to fill gaps bc we dont have many transfers of contributors. Once again guys who actually want to be here and develop into NFL players, not driven by NIL.

We have solid coaches to develop this high 3 star/4 star talent.

Yes we're not going to get many of the top guys, and none of them driven by NIL only but we are who we are.

And these kids are generally good, hard working kids looking to develop, get better and make the NFL.

Also we don't have as many kids leave after 3 years to the NFL, so we get more out of these recruits on average than some of the programs that get these 5 star/high 4 star kids on the regular.

Will this strategy get us over the top? We'll see, but this doesn't mean that we can just ignore NIL. Still need to do everything that we can in NIL to be competitive there.

Last edited:
Have you donated yet to the collective? Are you working behind-the-scenes to get wealthy alumni involved? Do you have anything constructive to offer ever in any of these conversations?
As a matter of fact I have donated twice this year alone.

• Haha
Reactions: 81b&w
We have our NIL/ recruiting strategy pretty set.

Recruit solid 4 star kids who actually want to be in the program and dont care only about NIL. Top 15 classes.

Helps create a positive environment and limits locker room issues because of NIL and the players actually want to be here.

Helps reduce future transfers and decommits in recruiting. We had all 25 guys sign with no drama.

Just need a few guys in the transfer portals to fill gaps bc we dont have many transfers of contributors. Once again guys who actually want to be here and develop into NFL players, not driven by NIL.

We have solid coaches to develop thishigh 3 star/4 star talent.

Yes we're not going to get many of the top guys, and none of them driven but NIL only but we are who we are.

And these kids are generally good, hard working kids looking to develop, get better and make the NFL.

Also we don't have as many kids leave after 3 years to the NFL, so we get more out of these recruits on average than some of the programs that get these 5 star/high 4 star kids on the regular.

Will this strategy get us over the top? We'll see, but this doesn't mean that we can just ignore NIL. Still need to do everything that we can in NIL to be competitive there.

If that’s their approach I’m good with that. Can I add that I’d like to be more competitive with top 10 teams (namely Osu and um) and make the playoffs often?

As a matter of fact I have donated twice this year alone.
Well, if that is true, then I applaud you. Because if it was not true, then you have no basis to say anything. Unfortunately, it’s all about the almighty dollar with the majority of the top recruits and portals. You cannot blame Franklin for having less NIL support than an Oregon or Texas A&M. We’re top dog NIL in the northeast and mid-Atlantic, but not so much looking nationally.

Have you donated yet to the collective? Are you working behind-the-scenes to get wealthy alumni involved? Do you have anything constructive to offer ever in any of these conversations?
On that note, I am opposed in principle to the way NIL is used (I agree with the basic principle but not when it’s functionally “pay to play”) so I refuse to donate to the PSU collective. I realize that PSU’s relative lack of NIL puts them at a competitive disadvantage. I personally don’t care; I’m fine with staying out of the fray even if it means less success for the team.

I’m super glad to hear the concept listed in the initial post here. Sounds like how those recruiting discussions should go.

He is one of three people over the years that I have put on ignore. Do yourself a favor and forget him. I can't even remember the names of the other two and soon I'll forget ol' BioChem, or whatever his name is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT