ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings & PSU

creamery

Jul 28, 2009
We should move up at least one if not 2 spots this week. So sick of the pollsters love affair with some of these teams - particularly USC which barely beat a weak Arizona St team and FSU which should have lost to BC last week, and then Clemson which is doing their best impression of Iowa’s offense. The love affair needs to stop with teams like this plus OSU & UM.

i don't think we will change at all

dominating a top 25 team should keep us ahead of Washington, who appears to be very good

osu and usc may switch places, that's it

Reactions: 19333lion
Of course, if we take care of business, rankings won't matter. That said, for the sake of discussion, we should absolutely be ranked ahead of USC, that has a mediocre, AT BEST, defense.
At the very least, it should be Ohio State at 5, PSU at 6 and USC at 7.

Of course, if we take care of business, rankings won't matter. That said, for the sake of discussion, we should absolutely be ranked ahead of USC, that has a mediocre, AT BEST, defense.
At the very least, it should be Ohio State at 5, PSU at 6 and USC at 7.
fsu at 4 is a head scratcher

Reactions: Springcity
We should move up at least one if not 2 spots this week. So sick of the pollsters love affair with some of these teams - particularly USC which barely beat a weak Arizona St team and FSU which should have lost to BC last week, and then Clemson which is doing their best impression of Iowa’s offense. The love affair needs to stop with teams like this plus OSU & UM.
Until PSU defeats either OSU, UM, or both they will lack respect in the polls.

Don’t understand why some fans worry about rankings. For PSU, they are irrelevant. All Penn State needs to do is beat Ohio State, Michigan, and win the B1G championship game. This will guarantee a CFP spot.
This might be the year that we need to worry about rankings. If Georgia wins out, they are in, period, even if they played the easier schedule any contender will play, which is 100% true. Florida State is ranked ahead of us and won't drop unless they lose. Having beaten Alabama soundly, an undefeated Texas team headed to the SEC next year will be in. Alternately, if OU runs the gauntlet, the same will likely be true. It if very likely one of them will run the table given the Big XII title game rules which would discourage a rematch. Out west, the Pac - 10 is easily the strongest conference in the country with three teams worthy of top ten rankings plus good Utah, Washington State and Oregon State teams with Arizona and UCLA in the wings. It is not a foregone conclusion that winning the Big Ten is enough this year. We can run the table and get left out.

This might be the year that we need to worry about rankings. If Georgia wins out, they are in, period, even if they played the easier schedule any contender will play, which is 100% true. Florida State is ranked ahead of us and won't drop unless they lose. Having beaten Alabama soundly, an undefeated Texas team headed to the SEC next year will be in. Alternately, if OU runs the gauntlet, the same will likely be true. It if very likely one of them will run the table given the Big XII title game rules which would discourage a rematch. Out west, the Pac - 10 is easily the strongest conference in the country with three teams worthy of top ten rankings plus good Utah, Washington State and Oregon State teams with Arizona and UCLA in the wings. It is not a foregone conclusion that winning the Big Ten is enough this year. We can run the table and get left out.
i think Georgia, FSU and Texas all running the table in the same year is zero percent likely

I hear you but strongly disagree. I don’t think you have accounted for B1G teams jumping other non B1G teams in the rankings. If Penn State, Ohio State, or Michigan can run the table without a loss and win the B1G championship, they are guaranteed a CFP spot. This is the beauty of having the big boy programs play each other. It helps if you go undefeated in the B1G conference.

I hear you but strongly disagree. I don’t think you have accounted for B1G teams jumping other non B1G teams in the rankings. If Penn State, Ohio State, or Michigan can run the table without a loss and win the B1G championship, they are guaranteed a CFP spot. This is the beauty of having the big boy programs play each other. It helps if you go undefeated in the B1G conference.
I see your point but as the lowest ranked Big Ten team (initial playoff rankings mirror the AP/Coaches) you have to look at us separately. If Michigan wins out, which is very likely, they will be in. If Ohio State wins out, they will need to jump a team. If we win out, we have to jump multiple and our schedule is looking much weaker than expected, just like last year. Regardless, we have to go undefeated. We won't make it with a loss.

I see your point but as the lowest ranked Big Ten team (initial playoff rankings mirror the AP/Coaches) you have to look at us separately. If Michigan wins out, which is very likely, they will be in. If Ohio State wins out, they will need to jump a team. If we win out, we have to jump multiple and our schedule is looking much weaker than expected, just like last year. Regardless, we have to go undefeated. We won't make it with a loss.
If PSU wins out, the wins over Michigan and Ohio State will be enough to jump one of Texas, USC, Georgia or FSU in the hypothetical scenario in which all four of them, and PSU, all go undefeated. Which isn’t going to happen anyway.

Jumping multiple teams wouldn’t be needed, just one of them.

And we’re talking about the AP poll, which was just released and now has PSU at #6. Playoff team selection doesn’t use the AP poll. I don’t see an undefeated Big Ten Champion being left out. (I’ll concede it’s theoretically possible, but so is me winning the Powerball.)

And we’re talking about the AP poll, which was just released and now has PSU at #6. Playoff team selection doesn’t use the AP poll. I don’t see an undefeated Big Ten Champion being left out. (I’ll concede it’s theoretically possible, but so is me winning the Powerball.)
There is ZERO chance that an undefeated BiG champion will be left out.
  1. Michigan is already #2 and they wouldn't fall out of the top 4 without losing.
  2. OSU ai already #4 and they wouldn't fall out of the top 4 without losing.
  3. PSU is #6 and would at a minimum move ahead of Michigan & OSU if they go undefeated.
The question is if a 1 loss runner up in the BiG can get into the playoff.

You just keep getting worse and worse. So other teams winning will move them up, but PSU beating the #4 team and the #2 team wouldn’t move them up? Got it.

You just keep getting worse and worse. So other teams winning will move them up, but PSU beating the #4 team and the #2 team wouldn’t move them up? Got it.
He struck out on his Illinois and Iowa will beat us story. This silliness is just to keep us occupied until he delivers his NW upsets us in a letdown game stupidly.

You folks let WallAss live in your heads rent free. Put him on ignor(ant) and be done with his provocations.

1. Michigan is already #2 and they wouldn't fall out of the top 4 without losing.
  3. PSU is #6 and would at a minimum move ahead of Michigan & OSU if they go undefeated.
Almost definitely

Just my hunch, but I seriously doubt if there will be an undefeated B1G champ this year when all is said and done. Just too much parity (PSU, OSU and UM) in the East and there's going to be an upset somewhere during conference play. As usual, the B1G West blows chunks but - as usual - will be an easy B1G championship game for whoever wins the East

Just my hunch, but I seriously doubt if there will be an undefeated B1G champ this year when all is said and done. Just too much parity (PSU, OSU and UM) in the East and there's going to be an upset somewhere during conference play. As usual, the B1G West blows chunks but - as usual - will be an easy B1G championship game for whoever wins the East
i actually feel like we have a good chance. gut feeling is that we are better than ohio state right now, not sure about michigan. i don't see who else on the schedule will make it competitive with us, except maybe maryland, and that's a long shot

I'm very happy with us ranked 6th. Georgia and Michigan were widely considered 1-2 before the year and have won out. FSU has wins over LSU and Clemson. Texas beat Bama. OSU beat ND. Our best win is Iowa and we're ahead of all of the Pac XII teams.

Reactions: lazydave841
i actually feel like we have a good chance. gut feeling is that we are better than ohio state right now, not sure about michigan. i don't see who else on the schedule will make it competitive with us, except maybe maryland, and that's a long shot
Yes, a long shot but that team could throw a monkey wrench into a team's long term plans. That's the one I was talking about when I mentioned an upset. I believe that OSU has their bye next week than has to play Maryland after the bye - they better not overlook that team

Yes, a long shot but that team could throw a monkey wrench into a team's long term plans. That's the one I was talking about when I mentioned an upset

Mobile QB who can throw = potential troubles for anybody any given day.

Maryland doesn't have the line play to run through all 3 of us, but they might sneak up and win vs 1 of us.

For me, I’d rather PSU lurk in the 6-8 spot and just win. HIgh enough to be very relevant, but not yet top 4 and became someone’s ‘Super Bowl. Just keep wining and everything will take care of itself.

Reactions: creamery freak
For me, I’d rather PSU lurk in the 6-8 spot and just win. HIgh enough to be very relevant, but not yet top 4 and became someone’s ‘Super Bowl. Just keep wining and everything will take care of itself.
Yep. And give the players a reason to think they’re being disrespected by the media.

Yep. And give the players a reason to think they’re being disrespected by the media.
probably ideal but it won't play out that way. we will magically jump 3 or 4 spots after blowing out UMass, because that will drive ratings for the psu-osu game

Next week, conference play starts shaking the teams up or out.

Utah v Oregon State on Friday.
Kansas v Texas, Ole Miss v LSU, and Duke v ND. All ranked matchups.

Oct 7 games are UK v UGA (Kentucky will be ranked if they beat Florida this week), Texas v Oklahoma, ND v Louisville (Cards undefeated right now), LSU v Missouri, Syracuse v UNC (Syracuse undefeated right now), and Washington St v UCLA.

Reactions: mcpat
Next week, conference play starts shaking the teams up or out.

Utah v Oregon State on Friday.
Kansas v Texas, Ole Miss v LSU, and Duke v ND. All ranked matchups.

Oct 7 games are UK v UGA (Kentucky will be ranked if they beat Florida this week), Texas v Oklahoma, ND v Louisville (Cards undefeated right now), LSU v Missouri, Syracuse v UNC (Syracuse undefeated right now), and Washington St v UCLA.
I'm curious to see how Texas does the next two weeks. Syracuse will lose by 30 to UNC. It is nice to start seeing some quality games this past weekend. The first 3 weeks were tough.

Reactions: lazydave841
probably ideal but it won't play out that way. we will magically jump 3 or 4 spots after blowing out UMass, because that will drive ratings for the psu-osu game
Well… UMASS is averaging 4.95 more points per game than Iowa…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT