ADVERTISEMENT

Barkley and the Heisman....

I would have saved that pass for the right spot in the OSU or UM game.
Agreed and I thought my post was intended to be thought provoking, not an indictment one way or the other. I don't know what the rules of engagement are for D1 football, admittedly. I do know what they were when I coached in high school.

Reactions: hlstone
If he has one or two more huge games he will win the heisman. The media has already bought in unlike with Larry Johnson in 2002, when the media didn't really notice until late October. At this point Darnold is out and Mayfield would need some real heroics to leapfrog Barkley

Agreed and I thought my post was intended to be thought provoking, not an indictment one way or the other. I don't know what the rules of engagement are for D1 football, admittedly. I do know what they were when I coached in high school.

I'm not sure. The half back pass only scores one touchdown there. Getting defenses to half to think about it in the future will lead to more rushing TDs in the future.

I'm not sure. The half back pass only scores one touchdown there. Getting defenses to half to think about it in the future will lead to more rushing TDs in the future.
I get the idea that it is another thing opponents have to consider. But in reality LOL it wasn't a Paul Hornung like spiral.

If he has one or two more huge games he will win the heisman. The media has already bought in unlike with Larry Johnson in 2002, when the media didn't really notice until late October. At this point Darnold is out and Mayfield would need some real heroics to leapfrog Barkley
He's the front runner. Certainly not a lock. His statistics and performance will increasingly come under intense scrutiny as the season moves on.

Reactions: hlstone
I get the idea that it is another thing opponents have to consider. But in reality LOL it wasn't a Paul Hornung like spiral.

Maybe DBs in the future won't want to hear it from coaches and teammates in the locker room for getting beat on a pass that looks like that.

It is a slippery slope to hype a Heisman Winner and keep the team approach on track. I'm not saying it can't be done, but something to consider. I'm not sure how to look at the Barkley pass late in the game. I guess there are different rules in D1 football.....only saying that as a high school coach, I would not have called that and would have been a little upset if an opponent did it at that juncture in the game.
I'll say that at my 8th grade son's CYO game yesterday, his team was over-matched, and losing 33-12 with 4 minutes left. Had backups in on D, the other teams still had their starters in, and threw a 40 yard TD pass after stopping out team on downs. But there was holding, so it was called back. They ran the same play for a 50 yard TD.
There was a screaming match between the coaching staffs during the hand shakes.
I would say that in 8th grade football, the other team might have been better off just running the ball with the 2nd team O in that situation. They could have run out the clock in 4-5 plays, as there was a running clock at that point/deficit

Reactions: marshall23

I completely understand your post. My point was, rules of engagement are out the window when a defense is blitzing every other down to stop you. If they want to get the game over with, settle into a base and let Barkley run the clock out on you.

You seemed more politically correct inclined than discussing the play. As another poster mentioned, it's one TD vs the threat of doing it and Barkley rushing for more yards. I'm happy with the time and place they used it. Truthfully, I don't think that play works vs Michigan and perhaps for a first down vs the Buckeyes.

Reactions: greg13
Watched college football final and all they showed for the PSU v IU highlights were Barkley's KO return, his one handed catch and, his TD pass. Didn't say anything negative about the run game. Seems like they want to keep hyping him.
Yeah, it's like nobody watched the game after SBs KO return. They had a segment on ESPN with great catches yesterday. Some were fantastic, but I thought SB would have been included.

I completely understand your post. My point was, rules of engagement are out the window when a defense is blitzing every other down to stop you. If they want to get the game over with, settle into a base and let Barkley run the clock out on you.

You seemed more politically correct inclined than discussing the play. As another poster mentioned, it's one TD vs the threat of doing it and Barkley rushing for more yards. I'm happy with the time and place they used it. Truthfully, I don't think that play works vs Michigan and perhaps for a first down vs the Buckeyes.
You are correct about my questioning if it was "correct," given the score. In my years of coaching I did run into a few coaches who felt the losing team should wave the white flag first. I must say however, the overwhelming majority of coaches felt that the team with the commanding lead had a responsibility to "call off the dogs." I didn't pass judgement simply because my career was as a high school coach. These are big boys,no concern with "self esteem" etc. and I am mindful of what the rankings mean and what influences them.

Offenses can score so rapidly in college football that no game is out of reach until the amount of time left doesn't allow for the possibility of possessions.

We put our third string defense in the game during the second quarter. If that isn't letting your foot up off the throat, I don't know what is. Allen can whine about special teams and accuse us of being cute with trick plays all he wants. It's the signs of a defeated man. The game is about the scoreboard, not Barkley's stat line. Alabama had 15 Non-offensive TDs last year and they were envied. We have a couple and it's "winning cheap".

Offenses can score so rapidly in college football that no game is out of reach until the amount of time left doesn't allow for the possibility of possessions.

We put our third string defense in the game during the second quarter. If that isn't letting your foot up off the throat, I don't know what is. Allen can whine about special teams and accuse us of being cute with trick plays all he wants. It's the signs of a defeated man. The game is about the scoreboard, not Barkley's stat line. Alabama had 15 Non-offensive TDs last year and they were envied. We have a couple and it's "winning cheap".

Special Team touchdowns do indeed count and may demoralize the opposition more than a conventional offensive TD.

Reactions: djr4rebs
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ootballs-week-5-winners-and-losers/720397001/

"
LOSERS
Saquon Barkley’s Heisman hopes: Though you obviously can’t and shouldn’t count him out based on one game, voters look at numbers. And Penn State’s 45-14 win vs. Indiana simply wasn’t great for his numbers, being held to 56 yards on 20 carries. Though Barkley did return the game’s opening kickoff for a touchdown with a spectacular run, you typically measure running backs by their 100-yard games. Barkley has had some big moments this season to boost his Heisman case — including that 211-yard performance at Iowa — but a blowout win over a team like Indiana should be a stat-padder. Instead, it might have been a bit of a setback. "

Forde-Yard Dash: September awards and four picks for the playoff

Pat Forde
College football and basketball columnist
Yahoo SportsOct 2, 2017, 12:24 AM

Player of the Month
Saquon Barkley (1), Penn State. The junior running back has hijacked the Year of the Quarterback(more on that later). Barkley has been a multitasking maestro, leading the nation in all-purpose yardage (244 yards per game), leading his team in receptions (27) and scoring touchdowns four different ways: running (four), receiving (two), kickoff return (one) and throwing for a score. He’s produced several jaw-dropping plays that will make for a nice Heisman Trophy sizzle reel – the hurdle at Iowa City and the one-handed catch against Indiana topping the list for now. He’s the front-runner for that award as of today, and some huge October games could either solidify that status or throw it open to greater debate. (Runner-up: Stanford running back Bryce Love.)

de54b77a93bd1bf1bda427a35e8dd053

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ootballs-week-5-winners-and-losers/720397001/

"
LOSERS
Saquon Barkley’s Heisman hopes: Though you obviously can’t and shouldn’t count him out based on one game, voters look at numbers. And Penn State’s 45-14 win vs. Indiana simply wasn’t great for his numbers, being held to 56 yards on 20 carries. Though Barkley did return the game’s opening kickoff for a touchdown with a spectacular run, you typically measure running backs by their 100-yard games. Barkley has had some big moments this season to boost his Heisman case — including that 211-yard performance at Iowa — but a blowout win over a team like Indiana should be a stat-padder. Instead, it might have been a bit of a setback. "
Does anyone really think he will win the Heisman? He has two big strikes against him....he's a RB and it's too easy for defenses to take a RB out of a game. The Heisman is definitely geared toward QB's because they can put up bigger numbers with passing and running. Second he plays for Penn State. History kind of proves that a Penn State player is not going to get the Heisman....only one winner ever for a program of Penn State's stature? Really? KiJana played for an undefeated team and didn't get it because he didn't have enough yards. LJ had the yards but didn't have enough wins. It's a popularity contest and Penn State isn't very popular.

Does anyone really think he will win the Heisman? He has two big strikes against him....he's a RB and it's too easy for defenses to take a RB out of a game. The Heisman is definitely geared toward QB's because they can put up bigger numbers with passing and running. Second he plays for Penn State. History kind of proves that a Penn State player is not going to get the Heisman....only one winner ever for a program of Penn State's stature? Really? KiJana played for an undefeated team and didn't get it because he didn't have enough yards. LJ had the yards but didn't have enough wins. It's a popularity contest and Penn State isn't very popular.

This was actually the first negative article I'd read regarding Barkley. Looking at the media coverage of him so far I don't think that it being a popularity contest hurts him. Most in the media love him. He's a viral moment waiting to happen every time he touches the ball. They had a Saquon Barkley graphic up during the Clemson-Virginia tech game during play where Fowler and Kirk gushed about him and it wasn't to hype a future broadcast. The crew doing the Rutgers-OSU game was talking about him as well (may not count because Matt Millen). If he keeps up his current pace with a few cant miss highlights per game and big showings vs UM/OSU/potentiallyBTCG it should be his to lose assuming the kid from Stanford doesn't run for 3000 yards.

He's the front runner. Certainly not a lock. His statistics and performance will increasingly come under intense scrutiny as the season moves on.
He's the winner if the vote was held today. As we know, the votes don't get counted until December and I am confident if we get beat by OSU or Michigan or anyone else (and we don't make an appearance in the Big10 championship game) and he has a 60 yard rushing performance in that loss, the media will throw him aside and will jump on the bandwagon for the next candidate - probably whichever qb from one of the front runners is putting up decent numbers.

Vegas has him as the Heisman favorite last I checked.

Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald is one of the most-decorated linebackers in college football history: He’s a two-time Nagurski Trophy and Bednarik Award winner, a two-time consensus All-American and a 2008 inductee into the Hall of Fame.

Still, Fitzgerald — who joined the Wildcats as a player in 1993 — said Monday he’s maybe never seen a running back quite like Penn State’s Saquon Barkley.

“Barkley is maybe the best player I’ve ever seen on tape,” he said, unprompted, during his opening statement. “And I’ve played against some pretty good backs. I’ve coached against some pretty good backs. But he’s just absolutely spectacular. He’s great in the run game, he’s great in protection, he’s great catching the ball out of the backfield, he’s a great return man. He does it all. He’s an outstanding football player.”

When later asked the kind of backs Fitzgerald has watched and played against, just whom exactly Barkley might be more impressive than, Fitzgerald rattled off numerous names. He mentioned Wisconsin great Ron Dayne, FBS’ all-time leading rusher; Ohio State’s Heisman-winning Eddie George and Michigan dynamo Tim Biakabutuka. He also couldn’t help but add Northwestern’s own Darnell Autry and Damien Anderson, arguably the Wildcats’ two best backs in modern history.

“The list goes on and on,” Fitzgerald said. “And to just see the skill-set (Barkley) has, it’s everything. He’s great in protection, he’s great running the ball, he’s got great vision, he’s got great balance, he’s got great speed, he’s got great toughness.

“I had a chance to watch the Iowa game and the toughness he showed — as a fan in the bye week, I’m sitting here cheering for that guy. It’s like, ‘Wow.’ If I was a Penn State fan, I’d be pretty stoked up. He’s darn good.”

Fitzgerald isn’t one for hyperbole. The straight-talking coach praised Penn State in other areas, calling quarterback Trace McSorley a “great player” and adding that safety Marcus Allen “popped” on film. But he saved his highest compliments for Barkley.

He paused for a moment when asked how Northwestern can stop Barkley. And then ended on a note that Nittany Lions fans are sure to appreciate.

“He’s going to make his plays, and we’ve got to respond,” Fitzgerald said. “He’s just a great player, and I’ll be a huge fan of his after 4 o’clock on Saturday for the rest of the year to win the Heisman. I’d vote for him. Five games in, I’d vote for him.”

The No. 4 Nittany Lions will take on Northwestern at Ryan Field on noon Saturday. Barkley is averaging 243.6 all-purpose yards per game this season.

I have seen far to many high school games where one coach's team gets a big, 3-4 scores, lead. He puts in all backups. The other leaves his starters in. Then, the guy with starters begins attacking the second or third offense. Kids who really aren't starter level, especially backs, get blown up repeatedly. I've seen concussions, separated shoulders, knee injuries. What is the responsibility of the losing coach in the scenario? Why is the leading team obligated to stop playing starters, when the other coach plays on?

Reactions: bmw199
Vegas has him as the Heisman favorite last I checked.
Doesn't matter....he won't have 150+ yards rushing every game because everyone will key on him. One loss to a good team with him having a low rushing output and he's out. If the Heisman is supposed to go to the best player, there should be no doubt he wins it, but it goes to the player with the best stats.

I have seen far to many high school games where one coach's team gets a big, 3-4 scores, lead. He puts in all backups. The other leaves his starters in. Then, the guy with starters begins attacking the second or third offense. Kids who really aren't starter level, especially backs, get blown up repeatedly. I've seen concussions, separated shoulders, knee injuries. What is the responsibility of the losing coach in the scenario? Why is the leading team obligated to stop playing starters, when the other coach plays on?

Well, your experience is much different than mine. In addition to the games I coached and scouted, I've watched countless films of opponents like every coach. I coached HS football for 16 years, 13 as a head coach and never saw what you are reporting.

Doesn't matter....he won't have 150+ yards rushing every game because everyone will key on him. One loss to a good team with him having a low rushing output and he's out. If the Heisman is supposed to go to the best player, there should be no doubt he wins it, but it goes to the player with the best stats.

He's had 5 games and hasn't had 150+ yards in every game and everyone is keying on him....and he's the odds on favorite.

If he has big games against Michigan and Ohio State he's going to win it.

He's had 5 games and hasn't had 150+ yards in every game and everyone is keying on him....and he's the odds on favorite.

If he has big games against Michigan and Ohio State he's going to win it.
I believe you are correct. What I want even more is for PSU to win those games.

In the scenario you describe, its pretty simple don't you agree. If I begin to substitute and my opponent begins to take advantage of my good sportsmanship.....I simply put my starters back in.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Well, your experience is much different than mine. In addition to the games I coached and scouted, I've watched countless films of opponents like every coach. I coached HS football for 16 years, 13 as a head coach and never saw what you are reporting.
Those injuries didn't happen in one game, but they did happen. Not all coaches are gentlemen.

Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald is one of the most-decorated linebackers in college football history: He’s a two-time Nagurski Trophy and Bednarik Award winner, a two-time consensus All-American and a 2008 inductee into the Hall of Fame.

Still, Fitzgerald — who joined the Wildcats as a player in 1993 — said Monday he’s maybe never seen a running back quite like Penn State’s Saquon Barkley.

“Barkley is maybe the best player I’ve ever seen on tape,” he said, unprompted, during his opening statement. “And I’ve played against some pretty good backs. I’ve coached against some pretty good backs. But he’s just absolutely spectacular. He’s great in the run game, he’s great in protection, he’s great catching the ball out of the backfield, he’s a great return man. He does it all. He’s an outstanding football player.”

When later asked the kind of backs Fitzgerald has watched and played against, just whom exactly Barkley might be more impressive than, Fitzgerald rattled off numerous names. He mentioned Wisconsin great Ron Dayne, FBS’ all-time leading rusher; Ohio State’s Heisman-winning Eddie George and Michigan dynamo Tim Biakabutuka. He also couldn’t help but add Northwestern’s own Darnell Autry and Damien Anderson, arguably the Wildcats’ two best backs in modern history.

“The list goes on and on,” Fitzgerald said. “And to just see the skill-set (Barkley) has, it’s everything. He’s great in protection, he’s great running the ball, he’s got great vision, he’s got great balance, he’s got great speed, he’s got great toughness.

“I had a chance to watch the Iowa game and the toughness he showed — as a fan in the bye week, I’m sitting here cheering for that guy. It’s like, ‘Wow.’ If I was a Penn State fan, I’d be pretty stoked up. He’s darn good.”

Fitzgerald isn’t one for hyperbole. The straight-talking coach praised Penn State in other areas, calling quarterback Trace McSorley a “great player” and adding that safety Marcus Allen “popped” on film. But he saved his highest compliments for Barkley.

He paused for a moment when asked how Northwestern can stop Barkley. And then ended on a note that Nittany Lions fans are sure to appreciate.

“He’s going to make his plays, and we’ve got to respond,” Fitzgerald said. “He’s just a great player, and I’ll be a huge fan of his after 4 o’clock on Saturday for the rest of the year to win the Heisman. I’d vote for him. Five games in, I’d vote for him.”

The No. 4 Nittany Lions will take on Northwestern at Ryan Field on noon Saturday. Barkley is averaging 243.6 all-purpose yards per game this season.
Dan Bernstein and his new host had Fitz on the radio in August. They said Saquon's getting all the attention but Jackson led the Big Ten in rushing, and they asked Fitz if Jackson was being overshadowed by all the unfair attention on Saquon. Fitz immediately said Saquon's earned every ounce of attention he's received and that he's a special running back. Was awesome to hear Fitz shut them up with unbridled joy about our guy's unique abilities.

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
Saquon Barkley currently sits with 574 rushing yards after five games which puts him on a pace for 1,378 by the regular season's end -- impressive enough for a garden-variety back but not the average Heisman candidate. But Barkley is not your average candidate. Yesterday he added a TD pass and a kickoff return for a touchdown. And he speared a screen pass with one hand and lit out on a 36-yard gain. He's the human highlight reel.

barkley-ko-ret-1png-e8457fd32747b372.png

Barkley also has 27 catches for 386 more yards and 2 TDs which puts him on a pace for 65 receptions for 926 yards and 5 TDs. This puts him potentially in the rarest of statistical air. No FBS college player has ever run and received for 1,000 yards each in a single season. The only college player to do it any level was Brian Westbrook of Villanova (1,046 rushing and 1,144 receiving) in 1998.

barkley-ko-retpng-29d32848a6e6884d.png

If Penn State won the East division and advanced to the Big Ten championship on Dec. 2, that would add a 13th game before the Heisman voting is complete. In that case, Barkley is on pace for just over 1,000 yards receiving. These are the sorts of numbers usually reserved for backs in system offenses from the minor conferences. No FBS running back with >1,000 yards rushing has ever collected even 800 yards receiving.

Reactions: bmw199
Saquon Barkley currently sits with 574 rushing yards after five games which puts him on a pace for 1,378 by the regular season's end -- impressive enough for a garden-variety back but not the average Heisman candidate. But Barkley is not your average candidate. Yesterday he added a TD pass and a kickoff return for a touchdown. And he speared a screen pass with one hand and lit out on a 36-yard gain. He's the human highlight reel.

barkley-ko-ret-1png-e8457fd32747b372.png

Barkley also has 27 catches for 386 more yards and 2 TDs which puts him on a pace for 65 receptions for 926 yards and 5 TDs. This puts him potentially in the rarest of statistical air. No FBS college player has ever run and received for 1,000 yards each in a single season. The only college player to do it any level was Brian Westbrook of Villanova (1,046 rushing and 1,144 receiving) in 1998.

barkley-ko-retpng-29d32848a6e6884d.png

If Penn State won the East division and advanced to the Big Ten championship on Dec. 2, that would add a 13th game before the Heisman voting is complete. In that case, Barkley is on pace for just over 1,000 yards receiving. These are the sorts of numbers usually reserved for backs in system offenses from the minor conferences. No FBS running back with >1,000 yards rushing has ever collected even 800 yards receiving.
Is he still ahead of Mccaffrey's all purpose yards record?

Yahoo Sports

https://sports.yahoo.com/heisman-watch-week-5-bryce-love-makes-presence-known-181726572.html

Each week throughout the season, Dr. Saturday will highlight the five players we think are the top Heisman contenders.

1. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State: Indiana found a way to contain Barkley in the running game — just 56 yards on 20 carries — but the junior showed his all-around excellence in another blowout victory for fourth-ranked Penn State. Barkley returned the game’s opening kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown, showing his incredible speed in the process. Barkley, who is averaging 243.6 all-purpose yards per game, also caught four passes for 51 yards and threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to DaeSean Hamilton." data-reactid="26" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;">1. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State: Indiana found a way to contain Barkley in the running game — just 56 yards on 20 carries — but the junior showed his all-around excellence in another blowout victory for fourth-ranked Penn State. Barkley returned the game’s opening kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown, showing his incredible speed in the process. Barkley, who is averaging 243.6 all-purpose yards per game, also caught four passes for 51 yards and threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to DaeSean Hamilton.

His best play of the game was a 36-yard reception in the first quarter when he caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage with one hand and accelerated into the secondary — with an awesome juke — for a huge gain.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/heisman/

Updated: October 2, 2017, 7:16 PM ET
fh_heismanwatch.jpg

ESPN Experts' Poll
Oct. 2, 2017
Name Position School Year 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
1. Saquon Barkley RB Penn State Jr. 10 1 1 0 0 57
2. Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma Sr. 2 9 0 1 0 48
3. Bryce Love RB Stanford Jr. 0 2 6 2 1 33

1) Saquon Barkley
RB | Penn State
Next Game: 10/7 at NW
i

Barkley continued to find new ways to score Saturday against Indiana. He started by taking the opening kickoff 98 yards to the house and threw a touchdown pass to DaeSean Hamilton in the fourth quarter.
WEEK 5 VS. INDIANA
RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
56 0 2.8

RECEIVING
REC YDS YPR TD
4 51 12.8 0
2017 SEASON
RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
574 4 6.7

RECEIVING