ADVERTISEMENT

Barkley and the Heisman....

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
image.jpg

For those that don't believe that winning the Heisman is reasonable for Barkley consider this:

Player A: 1658 rushing yards, 17 Rushing TD, 32 Rec. 334 Rec Yards, 3 TD
Player B: 2219 rushing yards, 28 Rushing TD, 11 Rec. 91 yards 0 TD
Player C: 2034 rushing yards, 20 Rushing TD, 1 Rec. 9 yards 0 TD
Player D: 1496 rushing yards, 18 Rushing TD, 28 Rec. 402 yards 4 TD
Player E: 1740 rushing yards, 16 Rushing TD, 37 Rec. 478 yards 2 TD

These are the last 4 RB's to win the Heisman.

Player A- Mark Ingram
Player B- Derrik Henry
Player C- Ron Dayne
Player D- Saquon Barkley
Player E- Reggie bush

He is already putting up comparable numbers to make the conversation in the past. With his expected increase in production this year it is not unreasonable to expect him to make a jump in stats to match these past winners. Unfortunately it has become a QB award and I get that. The common denominator for being considered as a RB is you need to be on a top team and we can all agree that we expect that this year.

For those that don't believe that winning the Heisman is reasonable for Barkley consider this:

Player A- Mark Ingram
Player B- Derrik Henry
Player C- Ron Dayne
Player D- Saquon Barkley
Player E- Reggie bush

He is already putting up comparable numbers to make the conversation in the past. With his expected increase in production this year it is not unreasonable to expect him to make a jump in stats to match these past winners. Unfortunately it has become a QB award and I get that. The common denominator for being considered as a RB is you need to be on a top team and we can all agree that we expect that this year.

It's a quarterback driven award these days. Since 2000, 82% (14/17) winners have been QBs, if you include Reggie Bush in the discussion. He's going to have to improve his statistics to compensate for the QB bias.

My question is: Will Franklin use him enough to get his numbers where they need to be for the Heisman or will Franklin use him only when needed (to keep him healthy). This will determine whether he is a finalist.

The other thing is the better McSorly is the worse for Barkleys heisman chances since he will also get votes.
Of course I would love that problem

For his sake, I hope he doesn't win it.
I'm certainly not rooting against Mr. Barkley having a great season. I hope he's even better than last year.
But I also hope Penn State takes control of enough games early enough that the coaching staff can limit his rushing attempts a bit with the idea of keeping him fresh and as injury free as possible. In other words, he could probably post amazing numbers with 30 runs per game, but I hope he gets a several games where he team only needs him to carry the ball 15 times.
Big-time college tailbacks take a beating, especially those who carry the ball 25 or 30 times per game. In looking at the list of Heisman winners in the post above, the constant is a short or unspectacular NFL shelf life. There is only so much giddy-up in those legs and those guys used up a high percentage of it in their college years.
Barkley seems like a very nice kid. I'd like to see him earn a boatload of money at the next level. If it costs him the Heisman to move on with quite a bit left in his tank, I think that trade will be well worth it.

1) Penn State needs to be a playoff team
2) I think he'd need 2k, unless PSU is ranked #1 for a big chunk of the season, then 1800 might do it.
3) To get to 2k, you need some big games against scrub teams. 200+ Saturday would be a nice start.

I look for SA to be a more integral part of the pass offense. Get him the ball in space,less pounding & increase total offensive output....even more attractive to NFL.

I may be in the minority here but I couldn't care less about the NFL when it comes to our college players. I don't care that we only had one person drafted last year, all that matters is that we won the BIG Championship.

We don't hang banners for draft picks.

1) Penn State needs to be a playoff team
2) I think he'd need 2k, unless PSU is ranked #1 for a big chunk of the season, then 1800 might do it.
3) To get to 2k, you need some big games against scrub teams. 200+ Saturday would be a nice start.

I also think 1800 rushing yards would do it if he has another 400+ of receiving yards. 2200 yards from scrimmage and 26+ touchdowns I believe would make a strong case. If we are a playoff team and he has that production I would expect him to win it.

I laid 50 to win 700+ on our guy this year. I think he blows up barring injury of course.

I may be in the minority here but I couldn't care less about the NFL when it comes to our college players. I don't care that we only had one person drafted last year, all that matters is that we won the BIG Championship.

I tend to agree. Honestly, the NFL bores me until it gets close to playoff time.
But I would be very disappointed in Coach Franklin if he didn't look out for the best long-term interest of players who have given so much to his program. It would be a shame if Franklin ran Barkley to death just to he could put "I coached a Heisman winner" on is resume. And I'm pretty darn certain that's not going to happen.

Reactions: 81b&w

In every way we are the anti-Pitt.

Would you rather have Shady McCoy firing up empty yellow seats in a season opening loss to Bowling Green, or Evan Royster surgically eviscerating Michigan en route to a Big 10 title....

I hope every kid we send to the NFL goes to Canton, but if they don't oh well.

Player A- Mark Ingram
Player B- Derrik Henry
Player C- Ron Dayne
Player D- Saquon Barkley
Player E- Reggie bush

It depends on who Kirk and the gang want to win. The numbers don't really matter.

Joking aside - Saquon Barkley passes the looks test of everyone - even the proverbial blind man riding a galloping horse backwards.
Barkley passed the looks test last year and wasn't even in the discussion. The biggest thing working against him is he wears a PSU jersey.

Seems like CJF and the PSU online media machine are in 100% behind the Saquon Barkley for Heisman push! They just published 15 video highlights of Saquon on the GoPSUTV YouTube channel!

Video's 1 to 5

Saquon Barkley - Big Time Speed

Saquon Barkley - 2016 Highlights

Saquon Barkley - 2016 Highlights

Saquon Barkley vs Pitt

Saquon Barkley vs Ohio State

Seems like CJF and the PSU online media machine are in 100% behind the Saquon Barkley for Heisman push! They just published 15 video highlights of Saquon on the GoPSUTV YouTube channel!

Video's 6 to 10

Saquon Barkley vs Purdue

Saquon Barkley 79-Yard TD Run vs USC - Rose Bowl

Saquon Barkley 57-yard TD Run vs Iowa

Saquon Barkley Caps Drive with 24-yard Touchdown

Saquon Barkley Hurdles Maryland's Will Likely

Reactions: Judge Smails

Video's 11 to 15

Saquon Barkley vs USC - Rose Bowl

Saquon Barkley vs Minnesota - OT Touchdown

Saquon Barkley vs Purdue

Saquon Barkley vs Iowa

Saquon Barkley 55-yard TD Run vs Temple

I don't care much about the NFL but I care about our kids, especially kids like Barkley. I want to see him make a boatload of money, take care of his family, and be set for life.

I could care less about him winning the Heisman. I 'd love to see him have a superb year, stay healthy, and help us win a lot of games. The Heisman, like many other things, has gotten so blown up and is a popularity contest. Don't care.

I don't care much about the NFL but I care about our kids, especially kids like Barkley. I want to see him make a boatload of money, take care of his family, and be set for life.
I'm not a big NFL fan anymore, but I will follow wherever Barkley goes. That will be my new team.

Why was he out there in the 3rd Qtr yesterday? and returning a KO? That game was over. IMO, best is for him to be out of his mind great against tOSU, scUM, etc ... the really big games. No one remembers or cares what he does against Akron.

Reactions: psu2016
It is very normal to have the starters come out for one series after halftime no matter the score. I did not like him returning The kickoff. As much for a bad message to Sanders as an injury

Reactions: psu2016
For his sake, I hope he doesn't win it.
I'm certainly not rooting against Mr. Barkley having a great season. I hope he's even better than last year.
But I also hope Penn State takes control of enough games early enough that the coaching staff can limit his rushing attempts a bit with the idea of keeping him fresh and as injury free as possible. In other words, he could probably post amazing numbers with 30 runs per game, but I hope he gets a several games where he team only needs him to carry the ball 15 times.
Big-time college tailbacks take a beating, especially those who carry the ball 25 or 30 times per game. In looking at the list of Heisman winners in the post above, the constant is a short or unspectacular NFL shelf life. There is only so much giddy-up in those legs and those guys used up a high percentage of it in their college years.
Barkley seems like a very nice kid. I'd like to see him earn a boatload of money at the next level. If it costs him the Heisman to move on with quite a bit left in his tank, I think that trade will be well worth it.

No! We ALL want him to win it sir!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT