ADVERTISEMENT

LSU QB Daniels wins Heisman

It has become so rote it is boring to just about everyone.

Heisman winner to CTE fraternity just released article is illuminating.

Reactions: bison13
Because it basically became a QB award and not about who was the "most outstanding player"
If it really went to the "most outstanding player" defensive guys would be able to win. Plus, Bowers and Harrison were the best two players in college football this year. Neither winning shows how the award is irrelevant.
The last 3 non-QBs all played at Bama too.

What is truly amazing is that no body seems to care. I remember when winning this was huge and hotly debated for weeks.

Penix was second. Nix third.

Well the outcome was as obvious as someone noticing damage at Pearl Harbor on Dec 8th. Penix and Nix split their vote, Harrison as a receiver never had a chance. With the SEC as a solid united voting block a ball boy from Vanderbilt could have won.

Without Daniels, LSU is probably a 5-7 team. 6-6 at best.

I don't see a similar drop off for the other finalists at their schools.

While I agree that MHJ and Bowers are probably the top 2 players, neither player was as important to their team as Daniels was. If anything, UGA's offense improved once Bowers went out and forced them to game plan something other than "12 targets to Bowers". MHJ probably needed a 160+ yard, 3 TD performance against Michigan to put him over the hump.

I do think the award is entirely too QB-centric most every year as well as "who has the best record" focused. This year, I just find it hard to argue with Daniels on field product. #1 in passing yards in the SEC AND the 2nd leading rusher in the conference. That's just video game like.

Reactions: psualt
Without Daniels, LSU is probably a 5-7 team. 6-6 at best.

I don't see a similar drop off for the other finalists at their schools.

While I agree that MHJ and Bowers are probably the top 2 players, neither player was as important to their team as Daniels was. If anything, UGA's offense improved once Bowers went out and forced them to game plan something other than "12 targets to Bowers". MHJ probably needed a 160+ yard, 3 TD performance against Michigan to put him over the hump.

I do think the award is entirely too QB-centric most every year as well as "who has the best record" focused. This year, I just find it hard to argue with Daniels on field product. #1 in passing yards in the SEC AND the 2nd leading rusher in the conference. That's just video game like.
I agree with all of this but it's not an MVP--or it wasn't intended to be anyway.

Reactions: lazydave841
I agree with all of this but it's not an MVP--or it wasn't intended to be anyway.

"The award was created by the Downtown Athletic Club in 1935 to recognize "the most valuable college football player east of the Mississippi", and was first awarded to University of Chicago halfback Jay Berwanger.[1][2] After the death in October 1936 of the club's athletic director, John Heisman, the award was named in his honor and broadened to include players west of the Mississippi.[3][4] Heisman had been active in college athletics as a football player; a head football, basketball, and baseball coach; and an athletic director.

It is the oldest of several overall awards in college football, including the Maxwell Award, Walter Camp Award, and the AP Player of the Year. The Heisman and the AP Player of the Year honor the outstanding player, while the Maxwell and the Walter Camp award recognizes the best player"

Reactions: LandoComando
Because it basically became a QB award and not about who was the "most outstanding player"
If it really went to the "most outstanding player" defensive guys would be able to win. Plus, Bowers and Harrison were the best two players in college football this year. Neither winning shows how the award is irrelevant.
The last 3 non-QBs all played at Bama too.
The year Suh didn’t win (Mark Ingram did) was egregious. Guy was unblockable

How to win the Heisman

1: Be a P5 QB with amazing stats

Or

2: Be a QB on one of the top 3 teams with very good stats

Or

3: Be a great RB or WR from Alabama in a year without a great season from aforementioned QB’s.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
What is truly amazing is that no body seems to care. I remember when winning this was huge and hotly debated for weeks.

Penix was second. Nix third.

I hope I don't sound like a broken record but this has been a media creation for a couple of decades. And this is just further evidence of the erosion of the influence of the media. With streaming and countless highlight shows, we all see the good players play. 20 years ago, you had to take somebody else's word for it. Now, who cares what some recent college grad with a journalism degree thinks? It has also become the "Best Quarterback" award. Since 2000, 20 of the 23 winners were QBs. Now, take any QB winner and put them behind PSU's 2013 or 2014 offensive line and see how they fair. The award is simply a beauty contest.

I hope I don't sound like a broken record but this has been a media creation for a couple of decades. And this is just further evidence of the erosion of the influence of the media. With streaming and countless highlight shows, we all see the good players play. 20 years ago, you had to take somebody else's word for it. Now, who cares what some recent college grad with a journalism degree thinks? It has also become the "Best Quarterback" award. Since 2000, 20 of the 23 winners were QBs. Now, take any QB winner and put them behind PSU's 2013 or 2014 offensive line and see how they fair. The award is simply a beauty contest.

I think it the change in football from a running game to a passing game. Fifty years ago the winner of the H was almost always a running back that went on to instant stardom in the NFL, as it was also a running game then.

Now both are passing game oriented and the QB is the key to any offense. And it is much more difficult to project what college hotshot will become a star in the NFL. And most take a few years to succeed and many flame out altogether. The H is no longer a guarantee of success in the NFL so fans pay far less attention to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: diontechristmas
The relevance of the Heisman is quickly fading. It used to be hyped for weeks with nonstop Heisman talk since about mid season. Now, you barely hear about it. I’ll bet most people either forgot or had no idea it was being awarded the other day.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The relevance of the Heisman is quickly fading. It used to be hyped for weeks with nonstop Heisman talk since about mid season. Now, you barely hear about it. I’ll bet most people either forgot or had no idea it was being awarded the other day.
I had no idea. Accidentally saw it near the end after it was already announced.

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT