ADVERTISEMENT

Barkley and the Heisman....

on that touchdown run number 23 from Akron really gives a half assed attempt....if I were his coach he would be getting some individual training this week at practice

Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
I feel bad for the announcer. He's been working on his signature 'saquon say gone!' move for several weeks only to have the TD called back.

Reactions: bmw199
Barkley passed the looks test last year and wasn't even in the discussion. The biggest thing working against him is he wears a PSU jersey.

Bingo. The world would go crazy if a PSU player won the Heisman, 5 years after the sanctions.

Reactions: bmw199
If the QB from USC has a good game vs. Texas, Notre Dame and UCLA, it will probably be his to lose.
After Lamar Jackson's performance this past Saturday, it looks like he is going to have the sensational highlights and statistics to make a run as a repeat Heisman winner. In his case, he is the only weapon that Louisville has and he has the ball in his hands every play. It will take a couple of losses and some bad performances to keep him from winning another Heisman trophy. If someone else does give him a challenge, then it will have to be someone from a top 5 team and with amazing highlights and stats. Sam Darmond certainly could make it to the Downtown Athletic Club. Barkley will have the opportunities to do this, in games against tOSU, Michigan, MSU, and other quality Big Ten opponents, and maybe some video game stats against the lesser teams remaining on our schedule.

Not sure if the best thing for this offense is Barkley putting up the kind of numbers that he will need to win the Heisman. Overall the offense is better if the production is spread out across Saquon, Gesicki, Hamilton, Thompkins, etc. Plus, with defenses keying in on him, the RPO calls for him to not get the ball and be a decoy. On some plays it is fun to watch 3 defenders go and tackle Barkley when he doesn't even have the ball, meanwhile Trace is running loose for a 20 yd. gain.

Saquon's odds went up from 7-1 to 12-1 after the 2nd game. Jackson (9-5) is the leader, followed by Mayfield (5-1), Darnold (6-1), then Barkley and two others. Beating Pitt hurt both Barkley and PSU!

my wife and I rescued a pitbull puppy this summer. Ended up naming the dog 'Kona'. Completely missed the obvious choice.. don't make the same mistakes I did, kids.

#Barkley4Heisman

So when will we see a pitch to Barkley where the defense overcommits and he passes to Juwan Johnson for a TD. :)
How about a reverse where Barkley gives Stevens in at WR and then stevens throws to McSorely for a TD? That would certainly give opposing teams some things to prepare for...

Or, they could just give Barkley the football and let him do his thing.

BArkley in the wildcat with 9 in the left slot.

9 comes in motion back to barkley who hands him the ball going right. 9 throws deep to a wide open Johnson for the TD.

I don't expect Barkley to win the Heisman, although he clearly is the best player in CFB by a wide margin. I don't think the media is ready for a Penn State player to win the Heisman, and I fully expect some shenanigans to be pulled. I hope I'm wrong about this.

Reactions: dalions81
I don't expect Barkley to win the Heisman, although he clearly is the best player in CFB by a wide margin. I don't think the media is ready for a Penn State player to win the Heisman, and I fully expect some shenanigans to be pulled. I hope I'm wrong about this.
I've considered this, but then again, just think of all of the opportunities there would be to remind the nation about the Sandusky scandal... not to mention the drug difficulties SB's father went through (sideline reported in Akron game).

Watched college football final and all they showed for the PSU v IU highlights were Barkley's KO return, his one handed catch and, his TD pass. Didn't say anything negative about the run game. Seems like they want to keep hyping him.

Reactions: BoulderFish
Watched college football final and all they showed for the PSU v IU highlights were Barkley's KO return, his one handed catch and, his TD pass. Didn't say anything negative about the run game. Seems like they want to keep hyping him.

All for the good, IMO. Barkley's ability and likability are big plusses for PSU's national reputation.

Reactions: T J and BoulderFish
It is a slippery slope to hype a Heisman Winner and keep the team approach on track. I'm not saying it can't be done, but something to consider. I'm not sure how to look at the Barkley pass late in the game. I guess there are different rules in D1 football.....only saying that as a high school coach, I would not have called that and would have been a little upset if an opponent did it at that juncture in the game.

Reactions: ftlpsu
It is a slippery slope to hype a Heisman Winner and keep the team approach on track. I'm not saying it can't be done, but something to consider. I'm not sure how to look at the Barkley pass late in the game. I guess there are different rules in D1 football.....only saying that as a high school coach, I would not have called that and would have been a little upset if an opponent did it at that juncture in the game.

So it's totally alright for Indiana to sell out on the run and for us to keep running into the wall of defenders, but it's forbidden for us to take advantage of said aggressiveness and throw it over their heads because...?

...we were winning?...

...it was the fourth quarter...?

Indiana never waved the white flag until their final possession. It was obvious that they were content to hand off the ball until time ran out. Our 3rd string obligated.

I think it was a smart call. You put something on film that is going to stick in some players minds. If we can create any doubt for a defense about selling out on Barkley, it's going to be a positive.

Just like the people who hated Barkley returning Kickoffs. It changed the dynamic of yesterday's game. Who is to say we get up 28-0 without it?

So it's totally alright for Indiana to sell out on the run and for us to keep running into the wall of defenders, but it's forbidden for us to take advantage of said aggressiveness and throw it over their heads because...?

...we were winning?...

...it was the fourth quarter...?

Indiana never waved the white flag until their final possession. It was obvious that they were content to hand off the ball until time ran out. Our 3rd string obligated.

I think it was a smart call. You put something on film that is going to stick in some players minds. If we can create any doubt for a defense about selling out on Barkley, it's going to be a positive.

Just like the people who hated Barkley returning Kickoffs. It changed the dynamic of yesterday's game. Who is to say we get up 28-0 without it?

I would have saved that pass for the right spot in the OSU or UM game.

ADVERTISEMENT