ADVERTISEMENT

Barkley and the Heisman....

Like many of these awards, the Heisman is an impression trophy. The talking heads talk stats to shape impressions or as otherwise necessary or suitable, like when nearly the entire country shares the same impression. In his case, the entire country thing really seems to apply.

If he has 3 big games and more WOW moments these 3 weeks, the stats may matter, but likely won’t be determinative.

And there are other awards Love could still win and deserve.

If it's stats that wins the Heisman, SB will have a chance to roll up big numbers against Rutgers, Nebraska, and Maryland after the guantlet of UM, OSU, and MSU.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
I honestly don't think Saquon deserves the Heisman at this point in the season. I do think that he is the best player in the country, but I don't think he's had the best results on the field up to this point. The best argument that you could have for him is that he carried the team when they needed him to in their toughest game to date (Iowa), and that IS a good argument.

As much as I hate him, Baker Mayfield might have a better argument, as would Bryce Love. These next three weeks are Saquon's chance to separate from the pack.
Dude, you HAD to like the numbers that Saquon put up on Saturday. Against a highly ranked Michigan defense.

Have to laugh at people putting Bryce Love at Saquon's level. No chance.

1. *Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

Previous rank:

It's a new No. 1 for the first time this season. Barkley is a lights-out athlete with a great lower body and quick feet who shows tremendous balance. He rushed for 1,496 yards and 18 touchdowns last season and had 1,076 yards as a freshman. He has 1,205 yards from scrimmage and 11 total touchdowns this season.

Barkley (5-foot-11, 230 pounds) also will help in the passing game; he has 32 catches this season after having 48 in his first two seasons at Penn State. I think he'll run under a 4.4 40-yard dash and test well at the combine.

Barkley could be a top-five pick in 2018, and he's going to get an elite grade from me, barring injury.​

Reactions: grinagrin
Saquon still #1 on ESPN's Heisman Watch but trending the wrong way. Last week he had 11 of the 12 first place votes.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/heisman/

Name Position School Year 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
Saquon Barkley RB Penn State Jr. 6 3 2 0 1 49
Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma Sr. 3 2 4 1 1 38
Bryce Love RB Stanford Jr. 2 3 2 3 1 35
J.T. Barrett QB Ohio State Sr. 1 2 0 4 1 22
Josh Adams RB Notre Dame Jr. 0 2 2 2 2 20
Khalil Tate QB Arizona Soph. 0 0 1 0 4 7
Lamar Jackson QB Louisville Jr. 0 0 0 2 1 5
Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama Jr. 0 0 3 0 0 3
ESPN experts: Andrea Adelson, Joel Anderson, Edward Aschoff, Kyle Bonagura, David M. Hale, Chris Low, Ivan Maisel, Dan Murphy, Adam Rittenberg, Mark Schlabach, Mitch Sherman and Jake Trotter

Tracking the Candidates
Oct. 31, 2017
arrow_dn.gif

Saquon Barkley
RB | Penn State
Next Game: 11/4 at MSU
i

Since Barkley took over the top spot in the Heisman Watch after Week 4, he received his fewest first-place votes. He also had his lowest total rushing yards of the season against Ohio State.
WEEK 9 AT OHIO STATE
RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
44 1 2.1

RECEIVING
REC YDS YPR TD
4 23 5.8 0
2017 SEASON
RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
801 9 5.8

RECEIVING
REC YDS YPR TD
36 471 13.1 3
arrow_up.gif

Baker Mayfield
QB | Oklahoma
Next Game: 11/4 at OKST
i

Mayfield is now 3-0 over Texas Tech, the team from which he transferred to Oklahoma. He led the Sooners to a solid win ahead of Bedlam this coming weekend.
WEEK 9 VS. TEXAS TECH
PASSING
YDS TD INT CMP% QBR
281 4 1 64.7 72.6

RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
20 1 3.3
2017 SEASON
PASSING
YDS TD INT CMP% QBR
2628 23 3 72.5 90.6

RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
190 4 3.5
arrow_nc.gif

Bryce Love
RB | Stanford
Next Game: 11/4 at WSU
i

Love wasn't able to play at Oregon State after he injured his ankle against Oregon. His absence was clearly felt, as Stanford needed a late touchdown pass to overtake the Beavers.
WEEK 7 VS. OREGON
RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
147 2 8.6

RECEIVING
REC YDS YPR TD
0 0 0.0 0
2017 SEASON
RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
1387 11 10.3

RECEIVING
REC YDS YPR TD
4 19 4.8 0
arrow_up.gif

J.T. Barrett
QB | Ohio State
Next Game: 11/4 at IOWA
i

Barrett cracks the top 5 for the first time this season after his performance Saturday night in a win over Penn State. He was most impressive in that win in the fourth quarter, when he was 13-of-13 passing and threw three touchdown passes.
WEEK 9 VS. PENN STATE
PASSING
YDS TD INT CMP% QBR
328 4 0 84.6 89.4

RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
95 0 5.6
2017 SEASON
PASSING
YDS TD INT CMP% QBR
2166 25 1 69.5 85.7

RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
454 5 5.2
arrow_up.gif

Josh Adams
RB | Notre Dame
Next Game: 11/4 vs. WAKE
i

Adams had his highest-scoring game of the season against USC, accounting for 18 points. After the game, Fighting Irish coach Brian Kelly called Adams "one of the best players in the country."
WEEK 9 VS. NC STATE
RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
202 1 7.5

RECEIVING
REC YDS YPR TD
1 -2 0.0 0
2017 SEASON
RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
1169 9 8.9

RECEIVING
REC YDS YPR TD
10 82 8.2 0

The remaining schedule should favor Barkley in amassing good numbers. We all know of the offensive line's struggles, but outside of michigan state, he won't be facing such stout defenses.

Something that probably gets missed by the small-minded media is how Barkley forces opponents to alter their game plan. Defenses are keying on Barkley, which more often than not opens up Penn State's passing game or leaves holes for McSorley on the ground. Also look at how Tosu changed their strategy on kickoffs after Barkley's opening touchdown. They repeatedly gave Penn State good field position with short kicks. The negative-yardage plays for Barkley and the altered opponent strategies because of him probably do not make him Heisman-worthy (BIG. NUMBERS. :eek: ), but they show what a weapon he is. Is there any other player in the country that opponents work so hard to defend or even avoid?

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
The remaining schedule should favor Barkley in amassing good numbers. We all know of the offensive line's struggles, but outside of michigan state, he won't be facing such stout defenses.

Hopefully, but teams like Indiana and Northwestern pretty much shut down the running game. Even Georgia State only yielded him 47 yards (albeit on just 10 carries). So I don't think playing lesser teams is necessarily a guarantee he'll put up huge numbers.

I'm hoping to see him utilized more in the passing game. We seem to have gotten away from that somewhat as the first 4 games he had 335 receiving yards but the last four just 136.

Barkely is still leading the NCAA in all purpose yards and is 4th in total td's.

ADVERTISEMENT