ADVERTISEMENT

Barkley and the Heisman....

What would it take for him NOT to be drafted by Cleveland?

Right now he’s projected to go third to the Giants. As a SB fan, I’d be happy to see him somewhere other than Cleveland. As a Cowboys fan, I’d prefer it was not the Giants...

Right now he’s projected to go third to the Giants. As a SB fan, I’d be happy to see him somewhere other than Cleveland. As a Cowboys fan, I’d prefer it was not the Giants...
As a Bears fan, I'm hoping they take him. They won't, because they really don't need another young RB, but it's wishful thinking. The Bears should be awful enough to be in contention for a top 5 pick. :(

Can we agree as PSU and Barkley fans that our primary hope is that he's drafted by a stable franchise?
Yes, not the Redskins, Jets, or Browns... maybe the Patriots are throwing games this year in order to move up to get him? Does Denver need a RB?

Yes, not the Redskins, Jets, or Browns... maybe the Patriots are throwing games this year in order to move up to get him? Does Denver need a RB?
Love to see him (for his sake) go to the Patriots. I don't see Belichick giving big bucks to a RB in his system. He seems to do fine with picking guys off the scrap heap.

Wish the ravens sucked enough to be in a position to draft him. Their running game is a complete mess. He’s a more elite version of ray rice so he’d fit in well.

I know the Birds need olineman but man I'd be ok with Ricky Williams-ing the draft to get him.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Chris Childers and Rick Neuheisal from ESPNU Radio (Sirrus 84) were saying yesterday that Brice Love should be the Heisman front-runner, not SB, based upon rushing yards. I know that what these talking heads say is meaningless, but Childers does have a Heisman vote. I really hope that Barkley has the opportunity to show what he can do against Michigan, tOSU, and MSU. If he has three strong games in this stretch, with stats and highlights, then he might edge out Love. Love is getting lots of love recently and the Stanford offense is build to run the ball so he will certainly have his chance to prove himself worthy.

Stanford has a bye this week so eyes back on Barkley, then they could very easily lose its last four games (Washington St, Washington, Cal, Notre Dame). If we make it through the next 3 weeks with at least a 2-1 record and Barkley plays well, I think he's in decent shape.

Redskins might be a good fit for him if they could keep Cousins. The Jets are the Jets and that would be a disaster and the Browns ruined freaking Trent Richardson...how they managed to do that IDK but if they did that to him they could ruin any RB.

Chris Childers and Rick Neuheisal from ESPNU Radio (Sirrus 84) were saying yesterday that Brice Love should be the Heisman front-runner, not SB, based upon rushing yards. I know that what these talking heads say is meaningless, but Childers does have a Heisman vote. I really hope that Barkley has the opportunity to show what he can do against Michigan, tOSU, and MSU. If he has three strong games in this stretch, with stats and highlights, then he might edge out Love. Love is getting lots of love recently and the Stanford offense is build to run the ball so he will certainly have his chance to prove himself worthy.

The kid is fast but, watch his highlights. He's running through huge holes often times not getting touched until he's 10 yards down the field. It looks to me like any top shelf RB would be putting up huge numbers at Stanford. We'll see what happens the rest of the season. Stanford already has two losses and may have a couple more before the end of the season. I don't think they'll give the heisman to a RB on a 4 or 5 loss team.

I honestly don't think Saquon deserves the Heisman at this point in the season. I do think that he is the best player in the country, but I don't think he's had the best results on the field up to this point. The best argument that you could have for him is that he carried the team when they needed him to in their toughest game to date (Iowa), and that IS a good argument.

As much as I hate him, Baker Mayfield might have a better argument, as would Bryce Love. These next three weeks are Saquon's chance to separate from the pack.

I honestly don't think Saquon deserves the Heisman at this point in the season. I do think that he is the best player in the country, but I don't think he's had the best results on the field up to this point. The best argument that you could have for him is that he carried the team when they needed him to in their toughest game to date (Iowa), and that IS a good argument.

As much as I hate him, Baker Mayfield might have a better argument, as would Bryce Love. These next three weeks are Saquon's chance to separate from the pack.

We'll see how the season plays out. No one is being anointed the winner at this point like Lamar Jackson was last year.

Heisman...

to the most outstanding player in college football in the United States whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work.

Heisman...
to the most outstanding player in college football in the United States

whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.

Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work.

The Farrell Awards: Best of CFB's first half
Mike Farrell | Rivals.com

The midseason point, give or take, of the college football season is upon us so why not hand out some midseason awards? We call these The Farrell Awards and they aren’t the usual hardware you see given out everyplace else.

Beast Mode

f3yl2wistefuq4lltfw2

USA TODAY Sports Images

Saquon Barkley, Penn State
The most physically impressive player in the country award goes to Barkley, who is an absolute monster
that can bounce off hits even when airborne. He’s the best player in college football, but that’s a boring title for an award.

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/the-farrell-awards-best-of-cfb-s-first-half

Last edited:
If he has big games the next three weeks, it’s his. The Heisman isn’t just awarded to the RB who tallies the most yards.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

You think he's the best player in the country but he doesn't deserve the Heisman? I thought the Heisman was to reward the best player in the country. If it's all about stats, it should go to a Big 12 QB every year...they rack up huge stats.

Saquon is a great player, and a great young man -- love to see him win the Heisman.

That said, I have a higher degree of interest and desire for the Penn State team to accomplish its goals of repeating as conference champions, and ultimately winning the national championship. I think Saquon feels the same way.

You think he's the best player in the country but he doesn't deserve the Heisman? I thought the Heisman was to reward the best player in the country. If it's all about stats, it should go to a Big 12 QB every year...they rack up huge stats.

Read what I said. I said he hasn't had the best results on the field. It's not just about stats. If you want to play it your way, Saquon could sit out the rest of the season and still get the Heisman? He'd still be the best player!

Reactions: psu2016
Read what I said. I said he hasn't had the best results on the field. It's not just about stats. If you want to play it your way, Saquon could sit out the rest of the season and still get the Heisman? He'd still be the best player!
If he sits out the rest of the year he won't be the best player. His stats don't reflect all that he does on the team...his blocking, his use as a decoy, etc. What are you using to judge results on the field if not stats? The best player on a basketball court isn't alsways the one who scores the most points. Saquon does everything well and to me that reflects his results on the field. They rarely give the Heisman to the best player so I'm not expecting Barkley to get it this year.

Debatable. He has over 1000 yards rush & receiving combined. w/8 TDs He's has more rec yards than any other RB in the country. He's 5th in the country in kickoff returns w/ a TD. Not a bad resume so far.

Like many of these awards, the Heisman is an impression trophy. The talking heads talk stats to shape impressions or as otherwise necessary or suitable, like when nearly the entire country shares the same impression. In his case, the entire country thing really seems to apply.

If he has 3 big games and more WOW moments these 3 weeks, the stats may matter, but likely won’t be determinative.

And there are other awards Love could still win and deserve.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Saquon is a great player, and a great young man -- love to see him win the Heisman.

That said, I have a higher degree of interest and desire for the Penn State team to accomplish its goals of repeating as conference champions, and ultimately winning the national championship. I think Saquon feels the same way.
^^THIS^^

I'm more worried that he will cement his status as a top draft pick & decide not to play in a bowl game as many others have... I suspect he'd play in CFP games regardless. So we need to just win out. Michigan. Michigan. Michigan....

I'm more worried that he will cement his status as a top draft pick & decide not to play in a bowl game as many others have... I suspect he'd play in CFP games regardless. So we need to just win out. Michigan. Michigan. Michigan....

That doesn't seem like his M.O. I bet he'd still volunteer to play special teams in the bowl game and would have to be coerced off the field even after several straight carries.

ADVERTISEMENT