ADVERTISEMENT

Which players would be on the All-Franklin PSU team?

saturdaysarebetter2

Nov 18, 2022
Which players would be on the All-Franklin PSU team? Some are obviously easy choices.

McSorley - QB, Barkley - RB, Gesicki - TE, Fashanu - OT

Parsons - LB, Allen - S, Porter - CB

Barkley - KR, Hardy - PR, Gillikin - P, Pinegar - K

The harder choices. Who makes the All-Franklin starting lineup?

WR: Dotson, Godwin, Hamilton, Washington, Hamler, Thompkins

OL: Walker, Mahan, Bates, McGovern, Menet, Smith, Scruggs, Fries, Nourzad

DL: Zettel, Toney, Johnson, Miller, Gross-Matos, Robinson, Isaac, Sickels, Ebikstie, Givens

LB: Cabinda, Smith, Carter, Jacobs

DB: Castro-Fields, Taylor, Haley, Oruwariye, Brown, King, Brisker, Amos

Anyone else?

Reactions: cyrizzle
Which players would be on the All-Franklin PSU team? Some are obviously easy choices.

DL: Zettel, Toney, Johnson, Miller, Gross-Matos, Robinson, Isaac, Sickels, Ebikstie, Givens

Anyone else?

Nassib at DE.

Not sure who is starting at safety with Brown, Amos, Brisker and Allen.

Nick Scott, Jordan Lucas, Apke and probably a few others played in the NFL. Malik Golden had a good sr year. I think he was with the Steelers for a bit. That is probably our best position group.

Last edited:
Reactions: saturdaysarebetter2

Anyone else?
Pat Friermuth should be on as well.

Didn’t realize it was that long ago.

Here is our OL depth chart that year. I think that was the spring we only had about 7 scholly OL in camp. 2 DTs moved to OL and started. Kind of a miracle we did not have a losing season. 5 walk ons on the depth chart. When a OT went down the backup was the CENTER.

LTDonovan Smith (Jr.)Albert Hall (So.)Chance Sorrell (Fr.)
LGDerek Dowrey (So.)Noah Beh (Fr.)Andrew Terlingo (Fr.)
CAngelo Mangrio (Jr.)Wendy Laurent (So.)Tom Devenney (Fr.)
RGBrian Gaia (So.)Brendan Mahon (Fr.)Steve Meyers (Fr.)
RTAndrew Nelson (Fr.)Chasz Wright (Fr.)Evan Galimberti (Fr.)

2nd RB w/ Barkley? Miles Sanders is obvious but after him I'm brainfarting that nobody jumps to mind....which says a lot about our relative mediocrity at that position and my aging brain!

Hopefully Kaytron or Nick step up to fill that void for more options....

DL .Sickles, Schwan, Zettle, Johnson, Miller, Nassib were on the team before Franklin got here, so not Franklins.

Pat Friermuth should be on as well.
I don't think it is even close that PF would be the TE over Gesicki. PF is a way better overall TE than MG, that's why he started in the NFL half way thru his rookie year. However, I would have Geisicki as WR3 - slot/H type player starting over Hamilton and Hamler.
MG was a good big play guy but he had tons of weapons around him that teams had to account for which opened him up a bit more. The last thing opposing teams were worried about was MG, they were more focused on Godwin, Hamilton, Barkley & McSorely. Pick your poison.
Damn shame that 2017 team couldn't find a way. They had as much high end offensive talent as anyone, just not a complete a team.

Reactions: scrivener
I don't think it is even close that PF would be the TE over Gesicki. PF is a way better overall TE than MG, that's why he started in the NFL half way thru his rookie year. However, I would have Geisicki as WR3 - slot/H type player starting over Hamilton and Hamler.
MG was a good big play guy but he had tons of weapons around him that teams had to account for which opened him up a bit more. The last thing opposing teams were worried about was MG, they were more focused on Godwin, Hamilton, Barkley & McSorely. Pick your poison.
Damn shame that 2017 team couldn't find a way. They had as much high end offensive talent as anyone, just not a complete a team.
Had Freirmuth stayed for his senior season, I'd agree with you. PF's high receiving totals were: 43 catches 507 yards in 2019 with 8 td's in 2018. Gesicki's high receiving totals were: 57 catches (he also had 48 another year) for 679 yards with 9 td's.

Career wise: PF: 92-1185-16 MG: 129-1481-15 Gesicki's numbers were clearly better for single season and career.

Journey Brown, retired to early.

Excluding Nick Singleton and Kaytron Allen (whose careers are still in progress), Journey Brown belongs in that first tier of running backs during Franklin’s tenure.

1 - Barkley
2 - Sanders
3 - Brown

By the way, Journey Brown played the same number of seasons as Micah Parsons.

Had Freirmuth stayed for his senior season, I'd agree with you. PF's high receiving totals were: 43 catches 507 yards in 2019 with 8 td's in 2018. Gesicki's high receiving totals were: 57 catches (he also had 48 another year) for 679 yards with 9 td's.

Career wise: PF: 92-1185-16 MG: 129-1481-15 Gesicki's numbers were clearly better for single season and career.
Numbers never tell the whole story.
There is no football coach that would say MG is a better overall TE than PF. Not a one, because he's not.
PF played 2.75 seasons
MG played 4 seasons.
PF's last year was in the shortened covid year were Levis and Clifford couldn't complete a basic out pattern and they played 3-4 less games.
I saw a stat from PFF that PF never dropped a red zone target in his entire PSU career. That's a stat that doesn't show up except in scout's notes.
As I said before, this one isn't even close.

Journey Brown, retired to early.
That was exactly the disconnect. My brain started thinking pros...and then went to Franklin's pre-Saquon backs Zwinak...Mark Allen...Belton?...

Journey was just hitting his stride when his playing career ended. Tough break but fortunate to have had condition discovered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT