ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Championships Session 4 Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
I'm out for the finals as well.

Time: 3:00 pm EST

TV - BTN

audio -

it's being streamed, but I'm not sure of the link. Byers said Sat. night that they'd do Session 3, then take a break, then be back on the air at 2:40 for Session 4. However, there is not a link set up in GoPSUnow. The link for Session 3 says "Sessions 3/4," so that's probably the one to use:

http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesportslive/?media=550042

Please keep all comments, PBP, etc. about Session 4 in this thread.

Lets get some champs, some 3rd place guys, etc., and as many bonus points as we can!

JB said we need to go 3 for 3 in the Championship matches and 3 for 4 in the 3rd place matches to catch OSU. Truth to that?

JB said we need to go 3 for 3 in the Championship matches and 3 for 4 in the 3rd place matches to catch OSU. Truth to that?

I don't know how to do the math, but with the way things are going I am surprised that we still have a shot, no matter how slim the margin.

Sorta. We can catch them by winning the two head to heads. But if we don't do the rest, we are banking on OSU to lose the rest of their matches, which is unlikely.

Snyder obviously wins his title match.

If Ohio St goes 1-5 (Clark beats NaTo, Brooks beats Myles, Pfarr beats Moore), PSU probably wins if PSU goes 3-0 in finals.

If Ohio St goes 2-4 in finals, then it'll be very very close. Just few points either way, depending on bonus from Zain, Nolf, Snyder and possibly Bo and/or Nevills. A Joseph and/or Cutch upset would be big.

If Ohio St goes 3-3 in finals, its toast.

PSU had a better window after the Nevills pin & margin was only 4.

That Rodriguez pin gave Buckeyes 3 points to a 7 margin

That Gulibon / Rodriguez swing was very costly. Basically the same point swing as winning another finals match.

I think that Clark, Brooks and Pfarr all winning is certainly within the realm of reasonable possibility. It's tough when the outcome of a tournament depends on how well the other teams wrestlers do against your primary competition. (i.e. Ohio State) But it is what it is. Our guys should just concentrate on doing their best today and let the other chips fall in whatever way they do.

The NCAA tournament will be a whole new ballgame. Putting Suriano back into the mix will change the scoring considerably if he is ready to go.

That results in 15 points and an 8 point lead before factoring in any scoring by tOSU. Lets say that PSU also gets 1 bonus point so now we are up to +9 points. That means if Pletcher loses tOSU can win two finals bouts and PSU still wins provided the Bucks get no bonus.

Obviously there are a lot of permutations especially when you factor in extra bonus but I do like the fact there is a scenario out there that doesn't involve anything too crazy happening that allows tOSU to have two champions and Penn State still win. Really need that 3 of 4 in the 3rd place matches which means a minor upset by either Joseph or Cutch.

Oh, and GO IOWA!!

Last edited:

The only other way is if they go 1-5. This is the path at a more reasonable 2-4.

Sorta. We can catch them by winning the two head to heads. But if we don't do the rest, we are banking on OSU to lose the rest of their matches, which is unlikely.

I hope we all do well and pull it out. The way BTN loves OSU, they'll probably extend the telecast an extra half hour. I think they ushered the program off the air on time when we won. ;):rolleyes:

I hope we all do well and pull it out. The way BTN loves OSU, they'll probably extend the telecast an extra half hour. I think they ushered the program off the air on time when we won. ;):rolleyes:
Follow it up with the classic 1971 football game between the Buckeyes and Michigan

Reactions: El-Jefe
Basketball game over early, a nice change from the usual 20 timeouts in the last 2 minutes dragging things out past the hour.

Reactions: Grass
It was a bit odd. He did come very close to riding Gilman out for the entire period.

Gilman can definitely be ridden hard.

That results in 15 points and an 8 point lead before factoring in any scoring by tOSU. Lets say that PSU also gets 1 bonus point so now we are up to +9 points. That means if Pletcher loses tOSU can win two finals bouts and PSU still wins provided the Bucks get no bonus.

Obviously there are a lot of permutations especially when you factor in extra bonus but I do like the fact there is a scenario out there that doesn't involve anything too crazy happening that allows tOSU to have two champions and Penn State still win. Really need that 3 of 4 in the 3rd place matches which means a minor upset by either Joseph or Cutch.

Oh, and GO IOWA!!
That last part just sounds wrong.... but go Iowa

OSU certainly not getting any favors from the refs here

What a great match between NaTo and Clark. Not sure why CC took that stall call on top, no way he was riding him for a minute.

Reactions: nitlion6
The ref made quite an impact on that match. Any chance he is an off spring of the Woody Hayes athletic tree?

What a great match.

NaTo is a tank and Clark showed great sportsmanship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT