ADVERTISEMENT

App St scored 28 in the 4th

TheBumble

Jan 10, 2017
They scored 28 of their 38 points in the 4th quarter. Their first quarter TD was scored on special teams. It doesn't feel like it but the defense gave up 3 points over the first 3 quarters.

We've seen these late game defensive breakdowns before... for whatever reason. It also usually involves the opposing quarterback playing the game of his life (Darnold, Barrett, Tanner Lee). We'll see if the App St quarterback can make those sideline throws the rest of the season.

PSU has nothing to gain in a game like this. It was App St's superbowl. Aside from some penalties they played pretty flawless. Our defense will be fine.

Seems to me that the late game opposing QB heroics — which, you’re right, have happened in all recent losses — are due to the absence of a pass rush being generated by our DL. Is this a scheme issue? Talent deficit issue?

Seems to me that the late game opposing QB heroics — which, you’re right, have happened in all recent losses — are due to the absence of a pass rush being generated by our DL. Is this a scheme issue? Talent deficit issue?

Not sure on the DL, but both ASU QBs put some perfectly thrown balls in places where only the WR could make the catch........against pretty good coverage. The 4th down throw by the back up was unbelievable..

Reactions: ralphster
PSU has nothing to gain in a game like this. It was App St's superbowl. Aside from some penalties they played pretty flawless. Our defense will be fine.
That means we'll be playing in the Super Bowl for two consecutive weeks. First it was the App State Super Bowl then it will be the Pitt Super Bowl. It's a brutal way to start a season. :(

This is after App St started the game with basically an option attack. They were running a lot of misdirection, doing what they could to get on the edge. Our defense made the adjustment and completely shut it down. Then they switched to their passing attack. Obviously they were a well coached team.

Reactions: diggerpup
The KO return to answer our opening TD was a huge concern. Considering how they only scored 3 other points over 3 quarters, that extra 7 allowed them to hang around and stay motivated for their comeback in the 4th quarter.

Not trying to diminish the poor D late in the game, just that there are plenty of areas for improvement.

Reactions: BBrown
Not sure on the DL, but both ASU QBs put some perfectly thrown balls in places where only the WR could make the catch........against pretty good coverage. The 4th down throw by the back up was unbelievable..

True — so did Darnold, so did Barrett, so did Lewerke. Maybe it’s as simple as sometimes QBs play lights out, but a late game sack or at least a hurry and knockdown might’ve gotten them off rhythm.

I just downloaded the game, will watch later...but didn't 7 of the 4th quarter points occur after the onside kick? I guess you could make the argument that the defense should have stiffened even on a short field to prevent ASU from scoring the TD, but by that time they were on something of a roll, weren't they?

I would be a bit more concerned about special teams given the KO return and the successful ASU onside kick. Much more interested than I had been in watching this game and seeing for myself what PSU really looks like.

Linebackers and defensive backs were out of position. I think two timeouts were called to get them back in position. Hopefully that is correctable.

They scored 28 of their 38 points in the 4th quarter. Their first quarter TD was scored on special teams. It doesn't feel like it but the defense gave up 3 points over the first 3 quarters.

We've seen these late game defensive breakdowns before... for whatever reason. It also usually involves the opposing quarterback playing the game of his life (Darnold, Barrett, Tanner Lee). We'll see if the App St quarterback can make those sideline throws the rest of the season.

Thank you for posting this. I note this from last year too (Ohio State - 3 TDS)

Not sure what it is - conditioning, game planning? Something has to be done. Cannot leak points all over thee place in the 4th quarter

Thank you for posting this. I note this from last year too (Ohio State - 3 TDS)

Not sure what it is - conditioning, game planning? Something has to be done. Cannot leak points all over thee place in the 4th quarter
Also the Rose Bowl collapse against USC. They also let Washington back in the game at the Fiesta Bowl. This has been a problem for several years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Novalions and PSU87
I just downloaded the game, will watch later...but didn't 7 of the 4th quarter points occur after the onside kick? I guess you could make the argument that the defense should have stiffened even on a short field to prevent ASU from scoring the TD, but by that time they were on something of a roll, weren't they?

I would be a bit more concerned about special teams given the KO return and the successful ASU onside kick. Much more interested than I had been in watching this game and seeing for myself what PSU really looks like.

The onside kick was perfectly executed, but let's face it, it was also lucky as hell. Perfect chest high bounce to the kicker (no one can beat the kicker to the ball), and he swats it to a teammate beside him. Penn State had no chance. Not a special teams breakdown.

Reactions: 81b&w
Pry's blitz packages are concerning. He blitzes safeties and corners a lot, but from so far away that it is almost impossible for them to get there. They are always a step too late from getting to the QB and in turn it leaves a receiver open for a completion. Reid definitely had some rust yesterday (which is expected) and I would love to know who messed up when he and Scott blitzed from the same spot this left the WR open for the TD. That had to be a blown assignment on one their parts as I don't see how they expected a MLB to make that play.

The onside kick was perfectly executed, but let's face it, it was also lucky as hell. Perfect chest high bounce to the kicker (no one can beat the kicker to the ball), and he swats it to a teammate beside him. Penn State had no chance. Not a special teams breakdown.

It was a PERFECT kick, any one of 5-6 App St players could have EASILY recovered it. Our closest player (#38) froze instead of going forward to try to cover it and he was leveled as he stood flat-footed. One other PSU player come in to recover the ball but he was so late he never had a chance.

As many kicking teams have compressed their kickoff formations towards the center of the field, I think we’ll see more and more onside kicks like the one yesterday.

We can’t generate any pressure with front four. Plus we are hesitant to blitz and leave our guys on an island. Help from the safeties were nowhere to be found as they carved us up the sidelines and stayed away from helping safety.

At this point I would rather Parsons come in on obvious passing situations and rush from the edge.

A lot of this is not enough d- line depth. It is a weakness and that should not be a surprise to anyone. Having Givens out is really bad. But the kids are going to have to grow up quick or it will be a long big ten season.

Still, they won't see a lot of qbs who can throw like that this year.

Reactions: BBrown
1. On the onside, horrible...It is one thing for them to recover, it is another that there were basically no PSU players within a yard of it when it went 10 yards. There should have been no hurry to get back on that kick, the wind was blowing in that direction and the kickers had no problem kicking deep in the end zone....App St had been unable to stop us in the second half, they almost had to do that.
2. With the lack of pass rush (Toney got some pressure, but he seems to be a one trick pony, sort of like Maybin), perhaps allowing Parsons to rush as a stand up DE makes sense on 3rd and long.....

Last edited:
What I didn't understand was Franklin/Pryts substituting so freely when the game was seriously in doubt. Our boy Millen even commented that PSU has brought back the 1st team D. Why were they even out? We were only up by 14pts. at one time and that did not last very long. Scratching my head.

Quarterbacks will generally look great if allowed to be comfortable. When there is no pass rush they will feel comfortable. Have to figure out a way to get to the QB.

I think some of the late game opposing heroics have been due to getting more conservative on both offense and defense when having the lead. Yesterday wasn't like that. I think we're missing guys like Buchholz, Cabinda, Cothren, Cothran, etc. Kids like Matos and Hansard appear to have a high ceiling but I'm not sure they're physically ready to be every down players. Losing Givens was huge IMO.

What I didn't understand was Franklin/Pryts substituting so freely when the game was seriously in doubt. Our boy Millen even commented that PSU has brought back the 1st team D. Why were they even out? We were only up by 14pts. at one time and that did not last very long. Scratching my head.
he wasn't even right....there were still a few guys out there who hadn't been on the starting defensive 11

That means we'll be playing in the Super Bowl for two consecutive weeks. First it was the App State Super Bowl then it will be the Pitt Super Bowl. It's a brutal way to start a season. :(
True, but a good way to season a young team . Just win ...

While not a favorite o this board, Davey Jones made the following good observation following yesterday’s game:

This is why most college football coaches don't want anything to do with a team like the Mountaineers in an opener: They don't know when to quit.

And first games are always roulette because so many players really have not yet met a crucible. But in PSU's 2018 case, so many were virtually untested - players across both units, but especially the defense, who simply have not played a lot of important minutes.

If we learn from this, we’ll be fine.

Anybody have a sense if this could be conditioning related?

I posted that above. Happened against Ohio State and someone reminded me of USC the year before. They hold teams in check for three quarters and all of a sudden start giving up plays in 20+ yard chunks, leaking oil all over. Head scratcher, for sure.

Reactions: 83wuzme
Common factor in these 4th quarter defensive collapses seems to be lack of a pass rush from the front four. Just don't get the push; blitzes can be used, but involve risk as we saw yesterday.

Will the problem be solved this year? would have to involve substantial improvement and quick growth from younger players

I really believe in what Franklin spoke about. It's hard to mimic the same 3-4 defense, they tried, but it's never the same. Also, the App State guys were small and very agile. I really don't expect them to have the same issue wit Pitt on Saturday. Fingers crossed...

While not a favorite o this board, Davey Jones made the following good observation following yesterday’s game:

This is why most college football coaches don't want anything to do with a team like the Mountaineers in an opener: They don't know when to quit.

And first games are always roulette because so many players really have not yet met a crucible. But in PSU's 2018 case, so many were virtually untested - players across both units, but especially the defense, who simply have not played a lot of important minutes.

If we learn from this, we’ll be fine.
right....most coaches want to schedule teams that know how to quit

I mean its on the pre scheduling questionnaire that they have to fill out....do you know how to quit?

Reactions: Madsol
Not only did we only give up 3 points in the first three quarters but we had only given up 126 yards. It was a remarkable turn around.

The lack of a pass rush against a smallish, relatively inexperienced OL was a significant problem. Pry was forced to bring pressure from LB’s and DB’s ( often with disastrous results ) to compensate.
Our lack of rush last year probably cost us wins against tOSU and MSU. Looks the same this year unless the return of Simmons or contribution of one of the true freshmen can change that.

i don't think it was conditioning based per se. much of our true talent is very young. those kids have to play to get better. the rotations do keep everyone fresher. on defense, i'm guessing many of these kids will be getting significantly more pt as the year progresses.

I don’t think it’s conditioning. I rewatched the 4th quarter

The first score was blown coverage. However, that was the drive that the backup quarterback made the throw of his life on 4th down into tight coverage to the 4 yard line. Nothing we could have done about that, kudos to app state.

The second score was a drive that would have ended if John Reid wrapped-up and tackled the ball carrier on a 3rd and 10. App State instead made the first down. Next play, app state ran a well executed reverse by an absolute speedster for 20 yds. They then completed a gorgeous/perfectly thrown TD pass into very tight coverage down the left sideline. Kudos to app state.

The third TD started with the onsides kick. App State scored in a few plays. The TD was a bomb from the 40 into very tight coverage. They will miss that throw 80% of the time. Another TD where the defender couldn’t have done anything about it. Kudos to app state.

The fourth score was a drive that started on our 42 because we punted out of our end zone. The App State RB gashed us with several 8-10 yard runs and then a 20 yarder to score. The defense missed tackles, wasn’t getting a push up front. This looked like a conditioning + tackling problem. Shame on PSU.

Conclusion: app state played out of their minds to score the first three TDs, despite fine defense. The offense and special teams didn’t do the defense any favors. They got gassed late.

Literal/figurative.....potato/potahto. :rolleyes:
the point I am making is that Dave Jones wrote something dumb

he's saying that nobody wants to schedule App St because "they don't know how to quit" so does that mean all those other teams are big fat quitters? Is not knowing how to quit a trait that only App St has? It's a dumb statement

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT