ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatching Illinois game, perfect storm of bad...

Psubiomed

Jul 25, 2021
Just incredible that this game wasn't a blowout...

-Warren 1st quarter ez td but he tripped at the 2
-2nd down same drive Allen drops to pass
-3 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, one of which was a literally 10 to 14 points swing in 2nd quarter
Franklin unloads bench late in 3rd quarter up 30-7.
-5 drops by receivers, every one was a first down cost.
-No Tre Wallace, the equivalent of no Egbuka for osu or no Wilson for Michigan.

About 5 or 6 other things that I didn't even mention....time to close the book on that game because it might end up being the worst played game of the year by Penn State...on to this week and the white out.

-3 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, one of which was a literally 10 to 14 points swing in 2nd quarter

About 5 or 6 other things that I didn't even mention....time to close the book on that game because it might end up being the worst played game of the year by Penn State...on to this week and the white out.
And yet they won by 17 points on the road with a qb starting his first road game against a team that probably will turn out to be a decent and competitive one. I'm not an unrealistic optimist, and certainly don't believe that PSU will go undefeated this season, but I'll take a game like this early in the season if this team can build and improve on that performance. I'm glad that they had to play a road game in which the outcome wasn't determined until early in the fourth quarter. It's better than blowing out a MAC school at home.

Last edited:

I agree with each point, but I continue to be concerned with our run game. It’s serviceable but not dominating like last season. I wish we would run out of single back formations rather than the t formation, which seems to slow us down.

I wouldn't suggest that PSU's difficulties against Ill were a fluke or bad luck. That Ill. defensive front is really good and that was most of the source of PSU's problems. Drops, penalties and an inexperienced QB contributed to PSU's difficulties. And on the positive side of the ledger, PSU's excellent secondary contributed 5 turnovers that basically decided the game.

Going forward, PSU may have some difficulty with an Iowa defensive front that is always good athletes. Illinois and W.Va. were cheating to stop the run. Iowa plays straight up so if PSU is unable to run the ball again this week, that is not a great sign for the rest of the season. Allar is terrific but I don't think PSU's passing game will be enough to carry the team offensively -- if they can't run the ball they're not going to threaten Michigan and Ohio State.

I wouldn't suggest that PSU's difficulties against Ill were a fluke or bad luck. That Ill. defensive front is really good and that was most of the source of PSU's problems. Drops, penalties and an inexperienced QB contributed to PSU's difficulties. And on the positive side of the ledger, PSU's excellent secondary contributed 5 turnovers that basically decided the game.

Going forward, PSU may have some difficulty with an Iowa defensive front that is always good athletes. Illinois and W.Va. were cheating to stop the run. Iowa plays straight up so if PSU is unable to run the ball again this week, that is not a great sign for the rest of the season. Allar is terrific but I don't think PSU's passing game will be enough to carry the team offensively -- if they can't run the ball they're not going to threaten Michigan and Ohio State.
Agreed. Teams are playing the DL and LB up to stop the run and blitz the passer to harass our young QB. They are trying to confuse him with a lot of looks and feinting blitzes. We put up 30 and should have put up a lot more if not for self-inflicted wounds. KLS's penalty cost us at least three and resulted in a blocked long FG attempt with fueled their only legit TD of the day. I hope we have the same results against Iowa.

Reactions: tlbakernc

YET WE WON! Great teams win on bad days.

I thought all 3 of those unsportsmanlike penalties were really ticky tacky. I’ve seen far worse not called. Still, PSU needs to be more disciplined take the flags out of questionable calls.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Let’s hope it was just one of those days for the guys but saw some things that took me back to previous years with receivers and OL. TEs can’t block. Still concerned with pass rush from 4 down linemen.

Perhaps 75% of this seasons gaffs occured in the Illini game. Time will tell. Yet, we are bound to see that 'B1G Homer Simpson' ref in at least 1 B1G game this season. onward!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT