ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone still on the Chambers Bandwagon?

I just want a winner. Maybe we need to start by cutting the fans with losing attitudes.

It's really simple. There are like 10 or 15 schools that never miss the NCAA. Ever. They have deep coaching trees and assistants right now.

Take those, rank the top 10 prospects, offer $3-5 million if needed.

Presto. No-one transfers and recruiting improves. Gameday coaching is better. Suddenly PSU is in the tournament most years.
3-5 million would be a pay cut for a top 10 coach...or are you trying to say that hiring one of their assistants is a sure-fire way to a top program?

Why would hiring a new coach automatically mean starting over. Our best players are second and third year guys and transferring and sitting out a year is most likely not in their best interest. NO ONE ON THIS TEAM IS NBA TALENT AT THIS TIME! If you bring in someone like Williard at Seton Hall or Hurley at RI, I believe they could convince the players currently here and the signed recruits to stay with the program.

I just want a winner. Maybe we need to start by cutting the fans with losing attitudes.

It's really simple. There are like 10 or 15 schools that never miss the NCAA. Ever. They have deep coaching trees and assistants right now.

Take those, rank the top 10 prospects, offer $3-5 million if needed.

Presto. No-one transfers and recruiting improves. Gameday coaching is better. Suddenly PSU is in the tournament most years.

Assistants from major programs are massive gambles. We just had one of Jay Wright's assistants. Tons of these guys fail. I would rather gamble on someone who has had legit success as a head coach than an assistant who has never run a program.

Why would hiring a new coach automatically mean starting over. Our best players are second and third year guys and transferring and sitting out a year is most likely not in their best interest. NO ONE ON THIS TEAM IS NBA TALENT AT THIS TIME! If you bring in someone like Williard at Seton Hall or Hurley at RI, I believe they could convince the players currently here and the signed recruits to stay with the program.

Watkins, Carr, Reaves could make $250k-$500k a year in Europe next year. Watkins is already rumored to be contemplating it.

These guys and the guys we just landed will be gone. Count on it. Hurley and most of these other smaller school coaches have absolutely no gravitas in convincing these kids that it's better for them to stay. Few if any of these guys have sent anyone to the NBA.

You guys are talking fantasy stuff. Chambers gone means flushing a Top 25 team away for next year, guaranteeing at least 2 shit seasons, with no guarantees of success after that.

Reactions: Agoodnap
Not surprisingly, PSU is in the bottom 25 for "luck" ranking. With all the close games, how different the record could be if they were top 25 instead of bottom 25. Frustrating.

Luck normally happens to the team that is more prepared and executes better late in the game, we aren't talking about them slipping on a wet spot on the floor and leading to the game losing lay up by the other team.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Luck normally happens to the team that is more prepared and executes better late in the game, we aren't talking about them slipping on a wet spot on the floor and leading to the game losing lay up by the other team.

Our average KenPom "luck" metrics over the past 7 years fall right where you would expect it to be. In the middle.

Luck is luck. Chambers has had very lucky years. The 2015-16 team went 16-16 and were unbelievably lucky and pulled out a ton of very close games. By your logic, Pat was a brilliant end of game tactician that year. In reality, they were very lucky and fortunate to not have won only 12, but they ended up with 7 Big Ten wins. This current team would be favored by over a dozen points vs that .500 team.

Go study statistics and variance. There's luck and randomness everywhere.

I'm not sure about that. The NBA scouts are interested in Carr. The NBA drafts on potential alone, and Carr might just go after this year or next. The team is at a point where I feel like there could be one or more departures regardless of whether Pat stays or goes. How many starters have been suspended at some point this year? At least three. Something is going off the rails. This team should be near the top of ethe league. they are not that young. Basically everybody from last year is back. Garner is a senior; Reaves a junior; Watkins is a redshirt sophomore. Carr and Stevens are young but extremely talented. Compare them to a sophomore Ben Luber or Brandon Hassell, for example. The talent is immensely better than what we used to see. Anyone who doesn't see this is too young to know what kind of players we used to see, or just doesn't remember. The coaching is the issue here.

Our average KenPom "luck" metrics over the past 7 years fall right where you would expect it to be. In the middle.

Luck is luck. Chambers has had very lucky years. The 2015-16 team went 16-16 and were unbelievably lucky and pulled out a ton of very close games. By your logic, Pat was a brilliant end of game tactician that year. In reality, they were very lucky and fortunate to not have won only 12, but they ended up with 7 Big Ten wins. This current team would be favored by over a dozen points vs that .500 team.

Go study statistics and variance. There's luck and randomness everywhere.

Study statistics and variance, hahahaha. I've taught Calc and Stat for a dozen years and was a former IE (from PSU) that still makes money from his old job as a consult, I know stat and variance. You dont get my point, sure there are some random upset wins he had, but to say the reason they lost to 3 or 4 teams they should have beat this year is luck, is crazy. Watch the games, he gets outcoached the last 4 minutes or more almost every time. Wether you want to blame that on his own personal ability or his lack of having a capable coach on staff, thats up to you, but those 3 games were not 'luck'

Study statistics and variance, hahahaha. I've taught Calc and Stat for a dozen years and was a former IE (from PSU) that still makes money from his old job as a consult, I know stat and variance. You dont get my point, sure there are some random upset wins he had, but to say the reason they lost to 3 or 4 teams they should have beat this year is luck, is crazy. Watch the games, he gets outcoached the last 4 minutes or more almost every time. Wether you want to blame that on his own personal ability or his lack of having a capable coach on staff, thats up to you, but those 3 games were not 'luck'

And it has been going on since 2011. at this point I do not think it is bad luck. Chambers and his staff are not good at coaching.

Watkins, Carr, Reaves could make $250k-$500k a year in Europe next year. Watkins is already rumored to be contemplating it.

These guys and the guys we just landed will be gone. Count on it. Hurley and most of these other smaller school coaches have absolutely no gravitas in convincing these kids that it's better for them to stay. Few if any of these guys have sent anyone to the NBA.

You guys are talking fantasy stuff. Chambers gone means flushing a Top 25 team away for next year, guaranteeing at least 2 shit seasons, with no guarantees of success after that.

So if one or two of those three leave are we still a top 25 team? And are you serious that a coach that took his team to the tournament has less gravitas than Chambers. Oh and Williard has his team in the top 20 so he wouldn’t have any gravitas.

I understand that one of the recruiting targets has stated if Chambers is gone he will not consider PSU.

Penn State is presently 7th in the Big 10 standings and has had many Big 10 games so far this season that went down the the wire. To me, this means we are already “competitive”. As such, I conclude Penn State basketball is currently meeting your goals and Pat should be given an multi-year extension.
Not 7th anymore.

I admit, I was on the bus. Think I'm going to take uber instead. Can someone please email me when we go .500 in BIG10. Excuses are getting old. Sad thing is, I bleed to much blue white to stop watching.

It’s really impossible to justify keeping Pat right now.
The four starters return plus Dread and Bolton and we'll be a top 25 team most likely.
could have been this year as well. Why do you actually think Pat will get it done next season

No excuses now that we have some talent! After the years of high-paid, on-the-job training, we should have won a few more close games. I'm tired of seeing Chambers lose the end game!

I have never said to fire a coach, I have always been in Pat's corner but this has to be his last year. Watching this team is like watching groundhog day, get to the last 5 minutes of every game and the team stands around until 10 seconds on the shot clock and go one on one. I never see screens being set off of the ball to get people open, I don't see any rotation on offense. Do players make mistakes that cost PSU games, yes, but the unimaginative offense is sad and disheartening. At the end of the year PSU has to cut ties with Pat, with most of the players returning and the recruits coming in, next year should be a real good year, which will give the new coach momentum going forward.

At the end of the year PSU has to cut ties with Pat, with most of the players returning and the recruits coming in, next year should be a real good year, which will give the new coach momentum going forward.

If that's the way it plays out, then all we will ever hear is how the new coach won with Pat's players, like when Dunn took over in 1995. That was always quite unfair to Dunn, IMO, because his most successful run was entirely with his own players.

If that's the way it plays out, then all we will ever hear is how the new coach won with Pat's players, like when Dunn took over in 1995. That was always quite unfair to Dunn, IMO, because his most successful run was entirely with his own players.
Dunn's most successful run was a team the players took over and got hot in a couple of key games, and at the right time. People remember the Kentucky win and the Sweet 16, but they forget the team was 17-10 in the regular season, and 7-9 in conference. They forget the team lost to NW that year, and had a 32 point loss to Illinois. They forget they had 19 and 25 point losses to Michigan State. They had several other double digit losses. They won a couple of games in the B1G tourney, including upsetting Michigan State by 2 points, then losing by 20 to Iowa to end that run, and got in the NCAAs anyway. If ever there was a Jekyll and Hyde team, it was that one.

Reactions: michnittlion
At this point, I'd rather see Harrar get all of Moore/Pierces minutes to see if he can help next year.

Same players as this year and same coach...what’s going to change? Middle of the pack Big 10 team at best.
Another year of experience, more depth, and some more shooters which we are sorely lacking (i.e. similar to the 2010 -> 2011 seasons, only we'd be starting at a much better place if the key guys returned).

Dunn's most successful run was a team the players took over and got hot in a couple of key games, and at the right time. People remember the Kentucky win and the Sweet 16, but they forget the team was 17-10 in the regular season, and 7-9 in conference. They forget the team lost to NW that year, and had a 32 point loss to Illinois. They forget they had 19 and 25 point losses to Michigan State. They had several other double digit losses. They won a couple of games in the B1G tourney, including upsetting Michigan State by 2 points, then losing by 20 to Iowa to end that run, and got in the NCAAs anyway. If ever there was a Jekyll and Hyde team, it was that one.

The team lived and died by the 3, yes. but it's still a little unfair to Dunn to suggest it was just players taking over. Throughout the year they knocked off at least three teams that went to the elite 8. In the BTT, he drew up a great play to beat Michigan which advanced them to the MSU game. In the NCAA tournament he outcoached Tim Welsh and Matt Doherty. Dunn's recruiting was one blunder after another, and I was glad to see PSU make change in 2003, but never expected we'd be worse off 15 years later (at least, we are not really any better off). If it was known that we would follow Dunn with eight years of DeChellis, I'm not sure it would have been a bad idea to just invest heavily in Dunn. Of our last three coaches he did the most.

He also started at the best place, by a lot...New building, energized fan base, lot of talent on the floor, etc. In hindsight, not building off the 95-96 team was the big miss in my time following PSU hoops.

Yes, he started from the best place. But again, I think it is unfair to say that he did not build off of it. He is the only PSU coach in my lifetime to go to multiple NCAA tournaments. The second one was in year six and cannot be attributed to anyone else. He is the only PSU coach in the last quarter century to have a graduating/departing player drafted by the NBA. He holds the best B1G finish of any PSU coach, ever (12-6, 2nd place).

He had a lot of deficiencies but he also had zero support from his boss, evidenced by the time he was left out to dry for a month with no contract during the recruiting season that immediately followed a sweet 16 run. It was malpractice by the AD. Plain and simple. Dunn was never going to make this into a top 15 program, but his superiors were either incompetent or did not want the program to succeed. Not surprised that he got fed up and waited to be fired.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
I think it's on fire.

It is....

227294_c503_625x1000.jpg

I admit, I was on the bus. Think I'm going to take uber instead. Can someone please email me when we go .500 in BIG10. Excuses are getting old. Sad thing is, I bleed to much blue white to stop watching.

Here's a look at his bus....

05ARG-40126.jpg

Reactions: wslee1
I doubt PC gets fired at the end of the season unless they go 0-10 or something the rest of the way, thats just the read I get. But whoever is the asst AD in charge of men's basketball end of the year exit interviews needs to give him an ultimatum, hire a coach who knows what the hell to do in a close game and let them coach the game from the under 8 minute time out on and learn some time of half court offense. even if its all quick hitters, at least something besides what they did today. They would have been better off running the picket fence every trip down today.

I doubt PC gets fired at the end of the season unless they go 0-10 or something the rest of the way, thats just the read I get. But whoever is the asst AD in charge of men's basketball end of the year exit interviews needs to give him an ultimatum, hire a coach who knows what the hell to do in a close game and let them coach the game from the under 8 minute time out on and learn some time of half court offense. even if its all quick hitters, at least something besides what they did today. They would have been better off running the picket fence every trip down today.

Save a miraculous run leading to an NCAA tourney spot, he's done.

There's never been much of a bandwagon. 95% of the people that others on here mock for "supporting Chambers" merely felt he had earned the right to show what he could do once he brought in unprecedented talent to the program. I stand by that stance. However, he has now proven that the talent level is mostly irrelevant. He's just not a good coach. So while almost all of us can agree it's now time to move on, I will always defend that it was not the right time prior to this.

Reactions: fairgambit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT