ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone still on the Chambers Bandwagon?

So what happens to your existing players and Dread if you fire Chambers and hire somebody like Dambrot, the new guy at Duquesne?
If a coaching staff does not improve the talent they recruit......does it ultimately matter who they have recruited in the past or future? I'm not saying the Penn State coaches have not improved any of the talent on any level. However, if the administration decides Pat has had enough time and the results are not there....... a change must be made. Pat has shown talent can be brought in to Penn State. A successful organization needs to move forward on their vision. It's hard to have vision when you are wallowing in fear.

I'm torn.

I've been Pro-Chambers and there's lots of things to like about the direction of the program, but also some concerns.

- Josh Reaves is the most valuable player on this team, PERIOD. It's not even a debate. No one is a better ball handler, no one penetrates defenses better, no one passes in traffic better, no one defends better, no one plays with more energy. He's the only guy scrapping for offensive rebounds. He's the only guy who finds Watkins in great spots. He takes smart shots. He's vocal. He's the straw the stirs the drink on this team and without him (and a thin bench), we have guys playing more minutes than they should, causing more fatigue and making them less effective than they were earlier in the year. Without his absence there is no doubt in my mind that we are on a 4-game winning streak right now, totally changing the narrative surrounding this season and Chambers.

- Josh Reaves being ineligible is inexcusable. There's guys on this staff that are PAID to make sure the guys are going to class and getting assignments done. I realize that it falls on the player ultimately, but this should almost NEVER happen. It's shocking because Reaves always struck me as a very intelligent player and he's very articulate in interviews. Someone on that staff dropped the ball and that ultimately the buck stops at the top.

- Tony Carr hero ball has become a farce. It was going on before Reaves was out but it's even more exaggerated now. His need to take the most difficult shots in the world have cost us a few games this year. This is a knock against Chambers for sure. We are a SO MUCH better team when Tony is a 15 pt, 8 assist point guard, rather than the 30 pt, 3 assist ball hog chucker he was vs Minnesota. When guys get involved on offense, they are more inclined to help on defense. Even if those guys are missing shots, they give more effort on the defensive end ("Oh damn, I missed a shot, I better make up for it here"). When you have one guy doing everything on offense it just sucks the life out of the entire team. You can feel it in the building as it happens and I just wish Pat would see this.

- This is the most talented Penn State team in over 20 years, and if Myles Dread and Rasir Bolton, who both might be 4* quality players given their senior season production, give us anything at all (and the rest of the guys return), it is possibly the most talented Penn State team IN HISTORY. Do we fire the coach that assembled the most talented Penn State ever? With our basketball history that is a very difficult pill for me to swallow, despite Chambers shortcomings.

- As it is with most non-elite programs, our NCAA tournament appearances correlate strongly with experience. When a team's best players are upperclassmen, they win. The best players on our 2001 team were Cripsin, Cline-Heard, and Ivory. All seniors. The best players on our 2011 team were Battle, Brooks, and Jackson. All seniors. The best players on our current team are Reaves, Watkins, and Carr. A junior and two sophomores. Also we have another sophomore (Stevens) and a freshman (Wheeler) gobbling up a significant amount of playing time. I don't care if this is year 1, 7, or 17 for Chambers. This is a YOUNG TEAM by any definition, and young teams (unless they have some One-and-Done NBA lottery talent), do not often make the NCAA tournament and often lose more close games than they win.

- I'm not saying Pat deserves no blame for the negatives in the current roster construction. Shep Garner had a decent recruiting profile and pretty much hasn't gotten any better than he was in his Freshman year. Same with Julian Moore. He whiffed on a bunch of guys where a better decision or player development could be seriously helping us weather this Josh-storm right now. Washington was a total bust. Zemgulis was a Powerball ticket that didn't even hit a consolation number. Pierce has been the most useless transfer in Chambers tenure. Buttrick does not look like a contributor at this level. Maybe John Harrar can give us 12-15 respectable minutes off the bench next year, maybe.

- I'm not saying Chambers hasn't improved some players. Reaves has improved each year. Watkins was pretty raw when he got here and has improved each year. Carr has improved some from last year, though there's still ways to go. You can't bash Chambers completely for not developing players. Some have developed, some haven't.

All in all, if it means keeping the current roster intact, I'm inclined to let next year be the deciding factor. The downside to keeping him is this off-season would be passing up the great opportunity to land a significant head coach who might be attracted to this pretty good looking roster (if the majority return). The other side of that coin is whether the administration is actually willing to invest significant dollars into basketball? Huge question mark, if not I'd rather give Chambers a chance to finish the job rather than hand the reigns to some coach from a small conference.

Last edited:
I'd like Pat to get 3 more years. It's easy to criticize in hindsight and I'm on board that his in-game coaching has been less than stellar. However, he can recruit, he reps Penn State very well, and his players seem to stay out of serious trouble.

I'd like to add an excuse that I haven't seen mentioned in regards to the BB team. We all know about the roster that Pat had at his start and that he didn't have enough players to hold live practices for two years, etc, etc. However, no one mentions Sandusky. BB players, like FB players, sit and watch ESPN for most of their leisure hours. This was a major, Major setback for our BB team. Unlike football, where we are an elite program, BB did not have that to fallback.

So, it sort of like there have been two periods with Chambers; One of Sandusky and lack of players and then big moves on the recruiting front (which normally take place during the first phase but, we being PSU and Sandusky on the news every waking hour.)

I want to see how this third phase of his tenure plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
Not getting Lamar Stevens the ball in the last 10 minutes of the game is inexcusable. Continuing to play the same defense that is giving up easy shots is inexcusable. For Chambers to come back next year, this team needs to finish at least 500 in conference this year and he needs to make staff changes. He is not an X's/O's guy and needs help on when to use a TO/play 2 for 1, etc. so get someone as an assistant head coach who does. If there are guys on staff who currently are good with time management and that type of stuff maybe PC should listen to them a little more.

I still think you get a guy like Laranaga or his top assistant Caputo. They have a roster with kids from Philly, Baltimore, new England and overseas guys. They'll keep the current roster and be able to continue to recruit those areas.

Maybe by the fact that Dread (and Bolton) has already signed an LOI. Doubt he'd get out of it because the team is losing. But a coaching change certainly gives him an out.

Another part of why things aren't as simple as some think.

We haven't had a ton of guys stay all 4 years either. How many guys have transferred out during Chambers' tenure? If we continue to struggle, I can see this team turning on each other or Chambers and looking to go elsewhere where they have a chance to win. Lose one or two of them and bring two younger guys in and we'll have the "we're young" excuse again. The sophs in this group have played 50+games. They aren't young and they look a lot like they did last year or maybe a step back. I was at the Palestra last year when they absolutely took it to Michigan State. That game showed promise. I haven't seen the team that played that day this season. That is why I am disappointed.

Maybe by the fact that Dread (and Bolton) has already signed an LOI. Doubt he'd get out of it because the team is losing. But a coaching change certainly gives him an out.

Another part of why things aren't as simple as some think.
We’ll see who on the current roster remains eligible or opts to transfer. If a kid can get out of an LOI over a coaching change, I would assume there are other reasons.
For me, the moment this year was watching Chambers utterly lose it during a time out in the last two minutes of a game we might have won. Barbour has already said the AA needed to see gains this year. It isn’t going to happen.

No excuses now that we have some talent! After the years of high-paid, on-the-job training, we should have won a few more close games. I'm tired of seeing Chambers lose the end game!
I really like him. I'm giving him one more year and I have communicated this to Sandy.

We’ll see who on the current roster remains eligible or opts to transfer. If a kid can get out of an LOI over a coaching change, I would assume there are other reasons.
For me, the moment this year was watching Chambers utterly lose it during a time out in the last two minutes of a game we might have won. Barbour has already said the AA needed to see gains this year. It isn’t going to happen.

A kid cannot back out of his LOI because of a coaching change.

He would have to transfer and sit out 2018-19 for his new team.

I'd like Pat to get 3 more years. It's easy to criticize in hindsight and I'm on board that his in-game coaching has been less than stellar. However, he can recruit, he reps Penn State very well, and his players seem to stay out of serious trouble.

I'd like to add an excuse that I haven't seen mentioned in regards to the BB team. We all now about the roster that Pat had to start. That he didn't have enough players to hold live practices for two years, etc, etc. However, no one mentions Sandusky. BB players, like FB players, sit and watch ESPN for most of their leisure hours. This was a major, Major setback for our BB team. Unlike football, where we are an elite program, BB did not have that to fallback.

So, it sort of like there have been two periods with Chambers; One of Sandusky and lack of players and then big moves on the recruiting front (which normally take place during the first phase but we being PSU and Sandusky on the news every waking hour).

I want to see how this third phase of his tenure plays out.
"less than stellar" ......that is hilarious. Talk about a lot of paint to get in to the good light......

A kid cannot back out of his LOI because of a coaching change.

He would have to transfer and sit out 2018-19 for his new team.
You don't think PSU would release a kid from his LOI if we fired Chambers? I see no way that things would go in that direction.

I’m sorry, but all these comments about Chambers being a great recruiter are simply not accurate. Is he a better recruiter than previous coaches, absolutely. Is he recruiting well enough to compete for Big 10 championships, no way. How many McDonalds all-Americans have we recruited or even been in serious consideration for. Easy answer. Let’s lower the bar, how many ESPN top 100 kids are coming to Penn State next fall. ESPN ranks the MSU and Maryland 2018 classes at 8th and 9th. Where is Penn State? Not sure as they only show the top 40 and we aren’t listed. You don’t compete for championships with that level of talent. Pat has had one, yes one decent recruiting year in his 7 years at the helm and so far, he’s not done much with that talent.

Michigan State is the bar, just like Ohio State is in football. If we are not recruiting at the Michigan State level every year, we are not going to compete for the Big 10 title. If that isn’t the goal, we might as well recruit another former Penn State basketball manager to be the coach, pay him $50,000 a year, and make an even bigger profit on basketball than we do now.

I’m sorry, but all these comments about Chambers being a great recruiter are simply not accurate. Is he a better recruiter than previous coaches, absolutely. Is he recruiting well enough to compete for Big 10 championships, no way. How many McDonalds all-Americans have we recruited or even been in serious consideration for. Easy answer. Let’s lower the bar, how many ESPN top 100 kids are coming to Penn State next fall. ESPN ranks the MSU and Maryland 2018 classes at 8th and 9th. Where is Penn State? Not sure as they only show the top 40 and we aren’t listed. You don’t compete for championships with that level of talent. Pat has had one, yes one decent recruiting year in his 7 years at the helm and so far, he’s not done much with that talent.

Michigan State is the bar, just like Ohio State is in football. If we are not recruiting at the Michigan State level every year, we are not going to compete for the Big 10 title. If that isn’t the goal, we might as well recruit another former Penn State basketball manager to be the coach, pay him $50,000 a year, and make an even bigger profit on basketball than we do now.
You have to be either joking or you are no more than 13 years old.

Edit: or perhaps you're Gunsie?

Pat has had one, yes one decent recruiting year in his 7 years at the helm and so far, he’s not done much with that talent.

Michigan State is the bar, just like Ohio State is in football. If we are not recruiting at the Michigan State level every year, we are not going to compete for the Big 10 title.

Watkins/Reaves is one of the best combos we've ever brought in, and are certainly at a minimum "decent".

We don't need to compete for a Big Ten title. We lift ourselves up to middle of the pack (on a whole as a program) and I'll be thrilled, as it means we're in the mix for the dance more often than not. Success at Indiana/Illinois/Rutgers football shouldn't be defined by "catching up to Ohio St", just as success for PSU hoops doesn't have to involve McD's AAs in the short-term.

Reactions: 007Bulldog

So... you expect to go from perpetually in the basement to competing for B1G championships just like that? Most of the programs ranked ahead of us have larger classes, and/or high 4 and 5 star players. Just like in football, larger classes get more points.

If a coach at another school with zero history suddenly started pulling in Top 10 recruitng classes regularly without showing much success on the court, what would most people say? They're buying recruits. As it is, we were accused of it with the class with Carr and Stevens.

Franklin's a great recruiter. But using your logic, he isn't because he didn't pull in classes that could compete with Bama when he was at Vanderbilt.

There are a lot of things you can say about Chambers failures, and I do think his recruiting momentum has slowed significantly since Carr and Stevens. But if everyone returns next year and the signed recruits come in, we'll have the largest collection of talent on one roster in school history, one that with good coaching and continued player development should elevate the program from the bottom to the middle of the conference. At a program where the majority of the roster traditionally couldn't sniff another B1G roster. I fail to see how that doesn't make him great recruiter.

No excuses now that we have some talent! After the years of high-paid, on-the-job training, we should have won a few more close games. I'm tired of seeing Chambers lose the end game!
You probably said the same thing about coach franklin. Be patient he is doing a great job getting good ball players out of the philly area.

Penn State is presently 7th in the Big 10 standings and has had many Big 10 games so far this season that went down the the wire. To me, this means we are already “competitive”. As such, I conclude Penn State basketball is currently meeting your goals and Pat should be given an multi-year extension.

Going to give it one more year, that would be more than fair.

I said it last year and I’ll say it this year Penn State is one of the very few places that th8nk a ten year plan is a normal way to build a hoop program. Hoops is obviously a low priority at Penn State.

Penn State is presently 7th in the Big 10 standings and has had many Big 10 games so far this season that went down the the wire. To me, this means we are already “competitive”. As such, I conclude Penn State basketball is currently meeting your goals and Pat should be given an multi-year extension.

LOL

He clearly gets out coached late in games. It has been going on for seven seasons with no improvement. Even Dunn and DeChellis did more with far less than this team. I think he has to go
Dunn? LOL! Come on man, no need to get crazy to make your point.

Be patient LOL. So Penn State basketball haha

Consider the consequences if you fire Chambers.

- With the experience and incoming players, this is a likely a borderline Top 25 team if everyone returns next year.

- If you fire Chambers, it is much more likely Carr, Watkins, and possibly Stevens and Reaves decide to move on.

- It is also almost certain two very good players, Dread and Bolton, are released from their LOI. That has been SOP almost everywhere.

- You are giving up an almost certain tournament team next year for a complete reboot with a new coach.

- Big name coaches request premiums to coach at dead basketball schools like us. Given the profit already being made from basketball and the lack of massive upside, Sandy is extremely unlikely to spend a fortune on a big named coach. It's a high-risk, low-reward proposition to splash $3m-$3.5m on a coach here. The finances have been discussed ad naseum over at the Penn State Hoops forum. It just doesn't make sense or cents to gamble on our basketball program.

- Whether you hate him or love him as an Xs and Os guy, no sane person can deny that Chambers has built the most talented roster in Penn State history. You're going to can the guy who did that because the immature, inexperienced sophomores are acting like immature, inexperienced sophomores?

I'm not saying he's not without his flaws, but the consequences of letting Chambers go right now are damning. As a season ticket holder for MANY MANY years, it is frustrating watching us lose close games, but I tell you what, that's a hell of a lot better than the alternative for many, many years which has been leaving with 12 minutes left in the 2nd half, down 25 points.

If we fire Chambers, be prepared for the next 2-3 seasons to be brutal and unwatchable with absolutely no guarantee that the next coach will be a better alternative.

Last edited:
Decent talent with a Division lll level coach does not a great team make! Sure, he's learned a few things by playing against great coaches but he should have learned a lot more for the amount of time he has had the reigns.

Decent talent with a Division lll level coach does not a great team make! Sure, he's learned a few things by playing against great coaches but he should have learned a lot more for the amount of time he has had the reigns.

Best performing Penn State team in the KenPom era, while missing his best player for 3 conference games. A team with just ONE starting senior. First coach in 20+ years to bring decent talent to Penn State. Not bad for a Division 3 coach.

Last edited:

Here's a few.

Deividas Zemgulis
Satchel Pierce
Nazeer Bostick
Tony Carr
Lamar Stevens
Taylor Nussbaum
John Harrar

Grant Hazle
Josh Reaves
Mike Watkins
Shep Garner
Trent Buttrick
Julian Moore

nope

There absolutely is an excuse. You lost your very best player to a suspension. That's a legit excuse whether you like it or not.

Taking Reaves off this team and replacing his minutes with Nazeer Bostick is akin to replacing Aaron Rodgers with Brett Hundley and telling Mike McCarthy, "No excuses, you should have made the playoffs this year."

Anyone who says "no excuses" is utterly clueless on how important Reaves is.

If Ed had Battle or Brooks miss a half-semester in the 2010-11 season, he wouldn't have had an NCAA appearance either.

Last edited:
There absolutely is an excuse. You lost your very best player to a suspension. That's a legit excuse whether you like it or not.

Taking Reaves off this team and replacing his minutes with Nazeer Bostick is akin to replacing Aaron Rodgers with Brett Hundley and telling Mike McCarthy, "No excuses, you should have made the playoffs this year."

Actually Wheeler starts for Reaves. But he and Bostick are sharing minutes pretty evenly.

You probably said the same thing about coach franklin. Be patient he is doing a great job getting good ball players out of the philly area.
I don’t think the primary problem is recruiting, although I don’t think we have had the guys we really need who can play in the paint.
I am not sold that Chambers is a very good coach, either in terms of developing guys within a system or with his gametime decisions. Maybe if we can pile up enough talent, we can simply overwhelm all of our lesser opponents and eventually make it to the tournament. I have no idea how much talent we would need on this roster to be able to do that. More than we have right now, certainly.

Actually Wheeler starts for Reaves. But he and Bostick are sharing minutes pretty evenly.

Bostick's minutes have shot up the most and the more he plays, the worse his impact is. Reaves is worth 6-7 points over Bostick according to my numbers. Bostick is a nice shot in the arm guy who can play with a 110% effort for 10-12 minutes, but he's been averaging 27 minutes the last three games and on a P5 team, that's a disaster.

If Ed had Battle or Brooks miss a half-semester in the 2010-11 season, he wouldn't have had an NCAA appearance either.

With all due respect, it’s not a legitimate excuse when you lose to a team that’s missing their top TWO players.

Reactions: bison13
Bostick's minutes have shot up the most and the more he plays, the worse his impact is. Reaves is worth 6-7 points over Bostick according to my numbers. Bostick is a nice shot in the arm guy who can play with a 110% effort for 10-12 minutes, but he's been averaging 27 minutes the last three games and on a P5 team, that's a disaster.
Agree with everything you said.
Wheeler is averaging 23 mpg which is pretty even.
Both together don't equal Reaves offense or defense.

With all due respect, it’s not a legitimate excuse when you lose to a team that’s missing their top TWO players.

1. Reaves is more valuable than Reggie Lynch. Reaves has been one of the most valuable players in the conference!
2. Nate Mason is their third best player. Jordan Murphy is better.
3. Minnesota has better bench options to replace their missing players.

Should we have beaten Minnesota. sure. Shit/Luck/Variance happens though and we didn't with basically a 6-man rotation.

With Reaves, we beat them full strength at home.

We should have offered Gattis the Mens BB Head Coaching job. I dont think it would take 6-7 years for him to learn how to coach!

Reactions: CappyToCJF
We could hire Chris Beard tomorrow and most of our fanbase would say "who? we need a big name coach". You're using his results in Lubbock to make you think that they made a splash with that hire...

1991–1995 Texas (asst.)
1995–1996 Incarnate Word (asst.)
1996–1997 Abilene Christian (asst.)
1997–1999 North Texas (asst.)
1999–2000 Fort Scott CC
2000–2001 Seminole State JC
2001–2011 Texas Tech (assoc. HC)
2011–2012 South Carolina Warriors
2012–2013 McMurry
2013–2015 Angelo State
2015–2016 Little Rock
2016–present Texas Tech

Heck, I'd bet that less than 5% of the people that post on BWI would be able to pick Chris Holtmann out of a lineup today (and probably less than a third even know who he is). Thus, the issues we face trying to turn it around at a school like PSU.

You are correct. We don't have time to and interest in stalking potential replacements for Chambers. So what?

Consider the consequences if you fire Chambers.

- With the experience and incoming players, this is a likely a borderline Top 25 team if everyone returns next year.

- If you fire Chambers, it is much more likely Carr, Watkins, and possibly Stevens and Reaves decide to move on.

- It is also almost certain two very good players, Dread and Bolton, are released from their LOI. That has been SOP almost everywhere.

- You are giving up an almost certain tournament team next year for a complete reboot with a new coach.

- Big name coaches request premiums to coach at dead basketball schools like us. Given the profit already being made from basketball and the lack of massive upside, Sandy is extremely unlikely to spend a fortune on a big named coach. It's a high-risk, low-reward proposition to splash $3m-$3.5m on a coach here. The finances have been discussed ad naseum over at the Penn State Hoops forum. It just doesn't make sense or cents to gamble on our basketball program.

- Whether you hate him or love him as an Xs and Os guy, no sane person can deny that Chambers has built the most talented roster in Penn State history. You're going to can the guy who did that because the immature, inexperienced sophomores are acting like immature, inexperienced sophomores?

I'm not saying he's not without his flaws, but the consequences of letting Chambers go right now are damning. As a season ticket holder for MANY MANY years, it is frustrating watching us lose close games, but I tell you what, that's a hell of a lot better than the alternative for many, many years which has been leaving with 12 minutes left in the 2nd half, down 25 points.

If we fire Chambers, be prepared for the next 2-3 seasons to be brutal and unwatchable with absolutely no guarantee that the next coach will be a better alternative.

If he stays we are also guaranteed seasons and seasons of unwatchable BB. But with a change we have a chance to have improved coaching.

The definition of insanity is expecting a change in results without changing the process. Obviously improved talent could not overcome coaching incompetence, and coaching is the only other factor to change IF different results are sought....

If he stays we are also guaranteed seasons and seasons of unwatchable BB.

Nonsense. I'll take this current season over 90% of the seasons I've watched the past 25 years. Same with next season if everyone returns.

When you people put down the pipe dream that we have the potential to be a CBB super power if we would just invest money, you will start coming to grips with reality.

We had some bad luck and some young kids make dumb frustrating decisions in close games but it's been incredibly watchable edition of Penn State basketball and Pat was responsible.

The most talented PSU team ever assembled has been unwatchable to you? I bet you've watched every game. Get off your horse and off the ledge.

Unwatchable will be next year's team if Pat is fired. That will be utter vomit as we try to scratch out win 10 in late February.

Nonsense. I'll take this current season over 90% of the seasons I've watched the past 25 years. Same with next season if everyone returns.

When you people put down the pipe dream that we have the potential to be a CBB super power if we would just invest money, you will start coming to grips with reality.

We had some bad luck and some young kids make dumb frustrating decisions in close games but it's been incredibly watchable edition of Penn State basketball and Pat was responsible.

The most talented PSU team ever assembled has been unwatchable to you? I bet you've watched every game. Get off your horse and off the ledge.

Unwatchable will be next year's team if Pat is fired. That will be utter vomit as we try to scratch out win 10 in late February.
I can think of a few PSU teams with less star talent than this one that were a lot more enjoyable to watch.
The thing I have noticed about the pro Pat people is that there are excuses every year, and the mere suggestion that the coaching might be part of the problem is off the table.
I expect the Sandy to pull the plug after this season if we don’t at least make the NIT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT