ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone still on the Chambers Bandwagon?

rokar

Oct 8, 2014
No excuses now that we have some talent! After the years of high-paid, on-the-job training, we should have won a few more close games. I'm tired of seeing Chambers lose the end game!

Reactions: doc69
No excuses now that we have some talent! After the years of high-paid, on-the-job training, we should have won a few more close games. I'm tired of seeing Chambers lose the end game!

Dunno. The "talent" are still sophomores. I'd like to give him until the 2016 class runs it's course. If he cannot parlay that class into growth on the court and recruiting, it's probably time.
Just remember that pre-chambers, everyone complained that PSU BB was not competitive. Now the complaints are that PSU BB should be winning a few more close games. It's a significant improvement. I'd like it to be more at this point, but it takes time to restock an empty cupboard and not sure how the depth stacks up which can lead to tired legs and losses at the end. I'm no expert, but calling for his head is potentially short-sighted. It would also depend on who a reasonable replacement would be. Hint: you've probably never heard of him so it would be a small program guy with some moderate success looking to take a big conference job and hoping he can make the leap to big time recruiting and coaching.

Going to give it one more year, that would be more than fair.

Anyone still on the Chambers Bandwagon?

Sure, why wouldn't I be? :confused:
wagonbroken.jpg

Dunno. The "talent" are still sophomores. I'd like to give him until the 2016 class runs it's course. If he cannot parlay that class into growth on the court and recruiting, it's probably time.
Just remember that pre-chambers, everyone complained that PSU BB was not competitive. Now the complaints are that PSU BB should be winning a few more close games. It's a significant improvement. I'd like it to be more at this point, but it takes time to restock an empty cupboard and not sure how the depth stacks up which can lead to tired legs and losses at the end. I'm no expert, but calling for his head is potentially short-sighted. It would also depend on who a reasonable replacement would be. Hint: you've probably never heard of him so it would be a small program guy with some moderate success looking to take a big conference job and hoping he can make the leap to big time recruiting and coaching.
The 3 scorers are all sophomores and Shep can be a scorer but is streaky as you get. Watkins has greatly improved over the past year as has Lamar. Only one guy seems to be interested in actually playing defense, that is the real problem. Reaves is really being missed. Tone can't be the lone scorer when the game is on the line, Chambers better get someone to play D and find a few scoring plays where Tone is not the shooter or it will be lots more of the same. They are hard to watch but I have lowered my expectations so it has been less stressful the last two games.

I missed the band in the wagon? No Sousaphone?

Seriously, I don't follow basketball closely but if the bulk of the team are sophomores and I know we are missing a key player right now there is a learning curve and room to improve. Coaching, I'm not able to really comment other than gleanings from this board. He appears to have gained some better recruits and pierced the critical Philly market a bit too. It's a difficult position to take and be successful in from history. I don't know the answer beyond throwing major money at a big time coach who could draw top line players to a (how full BJC consistently) and the money for this guy would come from where, not our rabid bball fan base.
I'm afraid we are in a long term building era for basketball where the steps are very slow and laborious.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
The problem is that you can't just give him a year. Next year is the last year on the extension he received and without another extension of at least 3 years, you would put him in an untenable position.

So the choice is do you bring back the coach for the next 4 years or do you move in another direction.

Reactions: psu00
The only thing keeping me from clamoring for the guy's head is that the man can recruit. He can sell ice to Eskimos if he can convince Top 100 players like Carr and Stevens to play in college basketball purgatory. The problem is the guy can't coach his way out of a brown paper bag. I was hoping he was going to hand over the Xs and Os to Ferry, but he either didn't do that or he did and Ferry is terrible too?!
If he can keep the current key players and add Dread, I will give him next year to prove he can make the dance before jumping. Heck, even ED made the dance one year and won the NIT with less talent.

This "young" talented group has played in close to 50 college basketball games. The talent is there and so is the experience. They just aren't playing well together and that's on Chambers. This was the easiest first 7 games of the conference schedule since Chambers got here and they've muddled their way to 3-4. Two of the losses came at home against teams that lost by 25 and 34 points at home in their previous games.. this season and team has potential but it's being wasted. This is not how you gain support from the fan base.

If anyone thinks there are any pro prospects on this team, they don't know basketball. People on here keep saying how good Tony Carr is, boy I must have missed games. Sandy is happy with team or she would have done something by now. She's making money that's all that matters

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
I've been on the Chambers Bandwagon for 7+ seasons but damned if I didn't slip on an iced-over patch of snow walking out of the BJC last night and fell off. He's a nice guy but you know what Leo Durocher always said about that.

Last night was tough to watch. Biggest was Watkins watching a guy lay the ball in with 30 seconds to go in regulation and then Watkins interaction with asst coach on sideline. He should have killed the Minny player and made him earn it at the line and just listened to the coach and sat his butt down. I'd like to see Chambers get one more year, but if there isn't a 20-10 in next year's team, time to move on.

The 3 scorers are all sophomores and Shep can be a scorer but is streaky as you get. Watkins has greatly improved over the past year as has Lamar. Only one guy seems to be interested in actually playing defense, that is the real problem. Reaves is really being missed. Tone can't be the lone scorer when the game is on the line, Chambers better get someone to play D and find a few scoring plays where Tone is not the shooter or it will be lots more of the same. They are hard to watch but I have lowered my expectations so it has been less stressful the last two games.
reaves' missing d has hurt badly. wheeler is good in small spurts, but is too small and offensively lacking to have an impact. it's like playing with 4 guys offensively when he's in, and other teams know it. just pack the middle.

Reactions: Bob78
A voice of reason. Thank you.

Rokar still thinks Penn State is a destination job and that Jay Wright, Roy Williams, and Mike Krzyzewski are beating down the door to coach here.

Rokar is kind of delusional.

This "young" talented group has played in close to 50 college basketball games. The talent is there and so is the experience. They just aren't playing well together and that's on Chambers. This was the easiest first 7 games of the conference schedule

Together? They dont know the meaning of it. individuals on the court at all times ... looking to get theirs

Chambers is so used to losing that he still saves his Time Outs to use when he is losing and trying to get back into the game. The top NCAA coaches use their time outs strategically down the stretch to call a play and extend their lead in the final minutes. There is none of this with our Nits.....the only strategic play that Chambers knows is to give the ball to Carr! The problem is... everyone else also knows this!!!!!

Reactions: Lavar5150
Hell no. One of the worst game managers I have seen and the team lacks fundamental understanding of time and score down the stretch.

If PSU leadership is ready to make the jump to the next level and open pocket books to hire one of the hottest coach free agents like OSU did this year, Texas Tech did the year prior, etc. then yes. Otherwise, no way do I want to start all over again with some no name from a tiny school that snuck into the dance once. Believe it or not, the life of a coach is much longer in basketball than football. I do question the in game calling but I haven't seen every game. Missed the fiasco from the other night.

If PSU leadership is ready to make the jump to the next level and open pocket books to hire one of the hottest coach free agents like OSU did this year, Texas Tech did the year prior, etc. then yes. Otherwise, no way do I want to start all over again with some no name from a tiny school that snuck into the dance once. Believe it or not, the life of a coach is much longer in basketball than football. I do question the in game calling but I haven't seen every game. Missed the fiasco from the other night.

We could hire Chris Beard tomorrow and most of our fanbase would say "who? we need a big name coach". You're using his results in Lubbock to make you think that they made a splash with that hire...

1991–1995 Texas (asst.)
1995–1996 Incarnate Word (asst.)
1996–1997 Abilene Christian (asst.)
1997–1999 North Texas (asst.)
1999–2000 Fort Scott CC
2000–2001 Seminole State JC
2001–2011 Texas Tech (assoc. HC)
2011–2012 South Carolina Warriors
2012–2013 McMurry
2013–2015 Angelo State
2015–2016 Little Rock
2016–present Texas Tech

Heck, I'd bet that less than 5% of the people that post on BWI would be able to pick Chris Holtmann out of a lineup today (and probably less than a third even know who he is). Thus, the issues we face trying to turn it around at a school like PSU.

He clearly gets out coached late in games. It has been going on for seven seasons with no improvement. Even Dunn and DeChellis did more with far less than this team. I think he has to go

I was voted the most optimistic person by my senior class in high school.....I’m a world-class pessimist compared to this guy!

Reactions: 83wuzme
So what happens to your existing players and Dread if you fire Chambers and hire somebody like Dambrot, the new guy at Duquesne?

Chambers is so used to losing that he still saves his Time Outs to use when he is losing and trying to get back into the game. The top NCAA coaches use their time outs strategically down the stretch to call a play and extend their lead in the final minutes. There is none of this with our Nits.....the only strategic play that Chambers knows is to give the ball to Carr! The problem is... everyone else also knows this!!!!!

Not that you responded to anything I wrote, but okay, I'll bite.

Since you are calling for his head, who do you think Sandy could reasonably hire as a replacement? and sorry, anyone but Pat is not a reasonable answer when our last 2 coaches before Chambers were Ed Dechellis and Jerry Dunn.

The interest and excitement in the program has never, ever been lower. The BJC is an absolute ghost town for games.

200.gif

I enjoyed the "one in the chamber" comment and I'm a firm believe in keeping one in the chamber at all times BUT Pat is beginning to wear on me. Yes he can recruit but I have to agree with keener basketball minds about his coaching acumen or lack thereof.

PSU would have to REALLY commit to bball with a new coach and do any of us here know if anyone in the AD or Admin want to spend the money to do so? If so, who is the candidate? This is not an easy sell to any established coach so it has to be a up and coming hungry candidate that is a crap shoot probably. I don't have the answer but like many others I do have questions about the future of the sport at PSU. Pat did improve the cast of players, give him credit but can he ever coach them to their maximum abilities?

Chambers needs a Coach himself. He doesn’t have any feel for a game and he needs to learn how to make changes in real time.
He doesn’t make in game changes that halt another team’s run or spark his own.
If he could do that the talent on the team could achieve more than they have produced to date.
The AD needs to make a statement to force a change and pay the money to get it done if she wants to keep Pat. IMHO.

Reactions: AJ65
Chris Caputo, Jim Laranaga's top assistant at Miami. He can recruit Philly area, they got Lonnie Walker.

So what happens to your existing players and Dread if you fire Chambers and hire somebody like Dambrot, the new guy at Duquesne?
Some people seem to believe that potential recruits and current players don’t care about wins or losses and that as long as he remains, Chambers will steadily improve PSU’s roster. Where do they get this idea ?

Some people seem to believe that potential recruits and current players don’t care about wins or losses and that as long as he remains, Chambers will steadily improve PSU’s roster. Where do they get this idea ?
Maybe by the fact that Dread (and Bolton) has already signed an LOI. Doubt he'd get out of it because the team is losing. But a coaching change certainly gives him an out.

Another part of why things aren't as simple as some think.

ADVERTISEMENT