ADVERTISEMENT

Any sense who will be wrestling 141?

crockster

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2001
I'd personally like to see Nick Lee. I think he is exciting , a fierce competitor with a
high upside.....any insights from anyone?

I think it has to be Nick Lee based on the fact that we lost Suriano. We need points out of 141 and 133 if we want to hoist the trophy at the end of the year.

I'd personally like to see Nick Lee. I think he is exciting , a fierce competitor with a
high upside.....any insights from anyone?
Cortez and Lee will wrestle off...Cortez is really good on top....Most true freshman have trouble getting off bottom.....Cortez needs to improve on his feet....We will see.

Several factors will be in play. Cortez's after-surgery effectiveness (I'm rooting for him!), is key. A completely healthy Jered, and 141 is covered imo. Lee can wrestle tournaments and hang on to the redshirt through the Holiday Tournaments. No hurry to make this decision.

However, if everyone is healthy and let's just say for the sake of argument, Lee is beating Cortez in the room, then the need to wait til after the Holidays to make a decision is lessened. Then, it's put your best at 141 and let Cortez and Keener duke it out for 133, if Cortez can still make that weight.

However, if everyone is healthy and let's just say for the sake of argument, Lee is beating Cortez in the room, then the need to wait til after the Holidays to make a decision is lessened. Then, it's put your best at 141 and let Cortez and Keener duke it out for 133, if Cortez can still make that weight.
I would agree worth that. That makes the strongest team in my estimation.

Why make the decision before you need to? Results in a tournament like the Scuffle are more important than the results in the room, IMHO. After all, Nico was an NCAA champ and EVERYONE was beating him in the room or so "they" say. :rolleyes:

Why make the decision before you need to? Results in a tournament like the Scuffle are more important than the results in the room, IMHO. After all, Nico was an NCAA champ and EVERYONE was beating him in the room or so "they" say. :rolleyes:

IF Lee shows he is better now, I would say that you make the decision immediately because it gets Lee more matches and more experience than just wrestling in the occasional tournament.

IF Lee shows he is better now, I would say that you make the decision immediately because it gets Lee more matches and more experience than just wrestling in the occasional tournament.

How does it get him more matches? Prior to the Scuffle we have 5 duals (Army, Binghamton, Bucknell, Lehigh, and Indiana) and the Keystone Classic so a total of 9 or 10 matches with only Tyler Smith of Bucknell ranked in the top 20. He could get more matches by going to several open tournaments like Stroudsburg, Mat Town, etc.

Mark Hall was 31-3 last year - 34 matches.

More matches than any other PSU starter.
(Nevills 30, Jimmy G 29, Zain 28)

Hall wrestled in the
Bearcat Kaloust Open 11/13
Michigan State Open 11/20
Cleveland State Open 12/17
Southern Scuffle 1/1

Send Nick Lee on a similar redshirt path and make a decision after the Scuffle

I think we need to pin/sticky an off-season summary thread so that folks who don't live here 7 days/wk can get up to speed on all the inside jokes. A few misunderstandings today . . .
If they can’t find the time to stay abreast of the happenings during the offseason, they probably won’t have the time to read such a thread if it existed. Personally I like when the seasonal posters can’t figure out a joke.;)

I think we need to pin/sticky an off-season summary thread so that folks who don't live here 7 days/wk can get up to speed on all the inside jokes. A few misunderstandings today . . .

Sorry I cant help with this, very busy trying to help aid those in discomfort after reading to kill a mockingbird.

Remember Cortez twittered a post injury picture of himself last year? It looks like he's seen the last of 133.

According to Spey, it doesn't really matter who is at 141. Not even round of 12? This weight class is ridiculously tough though.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/62780-ncaa-preview-predictions-141-pounds#.Wec3cluPK70

This weight class is one where you might as well put 16 names in a hat and pull them out for the NCAA placements. It's super hard to predict. I still think Heil's "do just enough to win" approach bites him this year. And I'll be glad to see it happen.

Reactions: diggerpup
This weight class is one where you might as well put 16 names in a hat and pull them out for the NCAA placements. It's super hard to predict. I still think Heil's "do just enough to win" approach bites him this year. And I'll be glad to see it happen.
I agree matter. I also think that the new scrambling rules, if enforced as written, are gonna buy Heil a couple of losses this year.

I agree...the wrestlers always do. Might test the waters to see what's called, after that it's about changing.
I generally agree as well, but that depends on the refs. If they call it all year, he'll adjust. If they wait until the NCAA Finals like they did when stalling was a special emphasis topic ...

Plus Heil has a coach who is adept at managing change.

I generally agree as well, but that depends on the refs. If they call it all year, he'll adjust. If they wait until the NCAA Finals like they did when stalling was a special emphasis topic ...

Plus Heil has a coach who is adept at managing change.
Just guessing, this will be a significant topic DURING the year between Tim Shiels and the coaches IF it is being called inconsistently throughout the season. Clarity is critical.

Cael's request last year came late in the season after the Retherford/Collica match and involved interpretation of existing rules.

Like you, my hope is that it is called as written, and intended, throughout the season so there's no questions heading to post-season.

I think he’ll adapt.
Yeah, you're probably right. But, it'll probably be a relatively big style change for Heil. In the past, he had no fear of guys getting in on his legs. He could always "scramble " out of it, if you want to call that scrambling. Purely defensive, with little intent to score off of it. I'm looking forward to seeing what Heil does when top 20 guys get in on his legs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT