ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 3 - Match/discussion thread

Article on Carter and Brooks.

“It really starts with the coaches,” Starocci said. “This morning I was a little heavy and a little more than I wanted to be. And Coach Cael was right there riding the bike with me. Just looking around, all the other guys warming up, their coaches are on their phones. I’m like, this dude is in the foxhole with us. I think that means more than anything.”

He made several comments the first IMO was tongue in cheek And sort of funny. The 2nd comment he said he would go for his leg if they wrestled at the trials.( to be honest everyone would they just wouldn’t say it.
i wasn’t outraged at all by it.
Exactly. You could hear JB chuckle immediately after saying it and then he said “On a serious note, Carter Starocci has had a phenomenal career. He belongs on the Mt Rushmore for the Nittany Lions.” Nickal and others are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Exactly. You could hear JB chuckle immediately after saying it and then he said “On a serious note, Carter Starocci has had a phenomenal career. He belongs on the Mt Rushmore for the Nittany Lions.” Nickal and others are making a mountain out of a molehill.
I rewatched it earlier and thought the same.

Thank you to the greatest fans in the world! The support for our son has been amazing! We truly appreciate PSU nation! How cool
Was that to witness the GREATEST WRESTLING TEAM IN NCAA HISTORY!! So awesome. Thank you!!

John, thank you for introducing 6-year old future PSU GOAT Aaron to those Cael videos all those years ago!

Reactions: danoftw
Thank you to the greatest fans in the world! The support for our son has been amazing! We truly appreciate PSU nation! How cool
Was that to witness the GREATEST WRESTLING TEAM IN NCAA HISTORY!! So awesome. Thank you!!
We are and Christ reigns. I am very impressed with you and your wife. You raised a true warrior with the spirit of David. God bless

“It really starts with the coaches,” Starocci said. “This morning I was a little heavy and a little more than I wanted to be. And Coach Cael was right there riding the bike with me. Just looking around, all the other guys warming up, their coaches are on their phones. I’m like, this dude is in the foxhole with us. I think that means more than anything.”
I really can't see how Carter will be able to cut down to 74 kg (162.8 lb.) and still be at the top of his game. I imagine Carter routinely walks around in the 185 range. That is going to be a brutal cut.

I really can't see how Carter will be able to cut down to 74 kg (162.8 lb.) and still be at the top of his game. I imagine Carter routinely walks around in the 185 range. That is going to be a brutal cut.
But he doesn't have to cut to that every weekend. Just a few times.

Only 2, same guy -- 141 McNeil forfeited out after losing to Beau in the semis.

Separately: Andonian got pinned in his last 3 matches (Levi, Shapiro, Kellar). Ouch.
Not forfeits but didn’t Lovett do the semi slide as well?

That is rough about Andonian! I didn’t realize that so thanks for pointing it out. Tough way to finish the tournament

Carter's fans??? Really? Big fan of Carter and I find nothing wrong with what Borroughs said. Carter has less mobility on that leg, so of course you're going to attack that leg. How precisely do you get a TD without attacking one of the legs? Just because you're attacking a leg to try to get a TD and score, does not mean you're trying to re-injure the leg. To suggest that an opponent should consider an injured leg "off limits" for attacking is so absurd, it isn't even funny - that would be giving you're opponent a massive advantage.

The people making negative comments about what Borroughs said are probably general PSU fans who know little about wrestling.
Well Bo Nickal knows a little something about wrestling and he made it clear he didn’t appreciate Burroughs’ comments.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Not forfeits but didn’t Lovett do the semi slide as well?

That is rough about Andonian! I didn’t realize that so thanks for pointing it out. Tough way to finish the tournament

Yes, Lovett did. Parco took 5th, so one of them was doing the semi slide.

Others:
- Wolak
- Salazar
- 197 Elam -- lost to fellow semifinalist Sloan for 5th
- Schultz

Echemendia might have -- he was the 5th place beneficiary of McNeil MFF out.

Reactions: zzs006
Only 2, same guy -- 141 McNeil forfeited out after losing to Beau in the semis.

Separately: Andonian got pinned in his last 3 matches (Levi, Shapiro, Kellar). Ouch.
I did see that about Andonian. Still not bad for a 12 seed. And he had a knee (I think) injury that kept him out a while. He gave Levi a pretty good match.

Mr Brooks: It was a privilege for us to be lucky enough to watch your son wrestle at Penn State. He is a first class man in every way, and an excellent representative of our University.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
SIAP. John Smith interview after nationals. I'm a little surprised at how much he talked about the fans "turning against us" during the Fix/Vito match. Implies that the crowd forced the ref to make a bull s#!+ stall call.

Reactions: danoftw
The fans didn't turn against OSU. They turned against Fix.
I thought Fix's style, the entire tournament was very non-aggressive and also thought he got a couple of calls. Also thought he was stalling and not called. One of those things if they called stalling in the first like they sometimes do in the 3rd he would have had to change his tactics

Walsh trying to shorten the match in 1st period with his obvious and bullshit stalling rather than wrestling for a Championship. Deserves precisely what he got in the 3rd. You want to stall for 2 periods trying to shorten the match - that's what you get for your bullshit strategy.
Or…..that thing was bleeding as he came to the mat. Ryan found a new way to get lungers and coaching. Start a match bleeding and don’t have one of those thin waterproof bandaids available.

Exactly. What is Hidlay (or any other 197 pounder this year) supposed to do against Brooks? He’s just that much better.
I know some of his family and he worked hard with plans for a year to beat Aaron. We all have watched him straddle the circle for the last few season. Sat night, while he got hit for stalling and really only went to the edge once, he did attack Aaron for the better part of the neutral time, with little to no actual opportunity to shoot. Unfortunately, it simply doesn’t work. That was the most visibly upset person on the podium, and for that year of singular focus and lost….the hurt is imaginable.

AB is simply that good.

I don’t blame Fix for the confusion in the semis. I put that squarely on the refs.

BTW, I know a lot of people don’t like Fix’s wrestling style, but in person he’s actually a pretty decent guy. Feel bad he has to carry around all those losses in the finals.

Reactions: Agoodnap
I don’t blame Fix for the confusion in the semis. I put that squarely on the refs.

BTW, I know a lot of people don’t like Fix’s wrestling style, but in person he’s actually a pretty decent guy. Feel bad he has to carry around all those losses in the finals.
Except that confusion and parade of bricks and reviews follow him around.

We were sitting in the UNC and SDSU section and there was a lot of Fix Fatigue for 3 days.

The reasons for booing during that match were many: Vito is a likable character, Fix is a known juicer, people are sick of him being in the finals (30+ minutes of wrestling and never scored an offensive point), he got bailed out against Ragusin, the officials tried to take the match from Vito, and Smith's constant complaints in the corner do nothing to help his wrestler's reputations.

By all accounts, Fix is a very nice kid, and John Smith is a legend, but fans have long memories when it comes to perceived aggrievements.

"You don't start thinking about next year tomorrow, we were thinking about next year 3 to 4 years ago"

I don't have the heart to post this on GIA but someone should.
It was already done yesterday over there in a respectful manner and within a broader discussion about recruiting. No one got upset. Cael used to get dumped on by the minute over there, but there is huge respect for what he has done. Extremely few nut jobs over there question Cael's ability to lead, recruit, plan, and maximize what he is getting for the effort. Most now assume that if Cael's doing it, it must be the right answer.

Last edited:
"You don't start thinking about next year tomorrow, we were thinking about next year 3 to 4 years ago"

I don't have the heart to post this on GIA but someone should.
A Hawk fan did post that quote and compared it to Brands saying it was too soon to be talking about next year.

Lot of frustration over there; and some apathy.

Right on! Consider statement “I shot the clerk” … 😉
tumblr_odf3qcvs7l1sxm49so1_400.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT