ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 2 - Match/discussion thread

Next year is not an Olympic year. Plus, it’s highly unlikely Nagao would qualify for an Olympic redshirt.

He is using a year of eligibility in 2025 unless he has a season ending injury.
Well then Aaron has 8 months to get it down.

Under Cael, over 14 tournaments, PSU is now 57-8 in the semifinals! They have gone 34-17 in the finals with 6 through for tonight.

They have already set their all time team scoring record at 148 pts and need 23 today to eclipse the all time record!

On the AA front, PSU ends up with 8 with the next closest team being NEB at 5. Then a bunch of teams with 4. Of note, tOSU and Lehigh both had 3 AAs. Surprisingly, South Dakota State has 4 AAs.

There's a real chance that 4 year old program Little Rock surpasses Minnesota in score today. Gonna be close. MINN currently has a 1.5 point lead and both have two guys left.

Under Cael, over 14 tournaments, PSU is now 57-8 in the semifinals! They have gone 34-17 in the finals with 6 through for tonight.

They have already set their all time team scoring record at 148 pts and need 23 today to eclipse the all time record!
I wonder what the finals record is from the first 7 years versus the last 7 years. I bet his batting average is higher more recently.

What in the world are we doing here? Beau is going 133 and Nagao is taking an Olympic Redshirt in an non Olympic year when he doesn't qualify for one in the first place.
Animated GIF

An update to individual scoring through Friday night. More to hopefully come today.

125: 2
133: 3
141: 20
149: 13.5
157: 22
165: 19.5
174: 16
184: 10.5
197: 23
Hwt: 18.5

The biggest positive surprise so far to me is Truax. He has shown a lot of heart out there, and 10.5 points heading into today could be 15-17 when all is said and done if he wins both. That's a great tourney under any circumstances.

I'm never going to express my disappointment with those who did not have a good tourney. Every one of them are better at this sport than I was in HS. I'm proud of all of them.

How about Bartlett at 20 points lol.

Last edited:
Will be astonished if Carter beats both former champs today.
Far from hate, it’s acknowledgment of what doing so in his altered state of health/conditioning would be . . . astonishing.
Can’t recall if such a single day combo has ever been done at NCAA’s. Can’t imagine a fiercer competitor who could pull it off.
ASTONISHED . . . unless someone tells me that defeating two former national champs in back-to-back matches on the same day has ever been done, I'll believe Carter is the first!! . . . never mind CS was likely NOT 100%

ASTONISHED . . . unless someone tells me that defeating two former national champs in back-to-back matches on the same day has ever been done, I'll believe Carter is the first!! . . . never mind CS was likely NOT 100%
... and gave up no point in doing so. Carter really tightened up his neutral game yesterday versus Thursday. A much more conservative approach and not allowing guys to get to his leg like they did Thursday. Smart wrestling. Let's hope he has one more smart match in him.

In fairness, neither was Griffith, but a healthy Griffith was never beating a healthy Starocci and an injured Griffith wasn't beating him either. Although the score was close, at no point did I ever presume Griffith had a chance of taking Starocci down last night. I also didn't think that Lewis would beat a slightly injured Starocci either, but you of course are correct and beating national champs in back to back matches is quite a remarkable feat and almost surely never done before.

An update to individual scoring through Friday night. More to hopefully come today.

125: 2
133: 3
141: 20
149: 13.5
157: 22
165: 19.5
174: 16
184: 10.5
197: 23
Hwt: 18.5

The biggest positive surprise so far to me is Truax. He has shown a lot of heart out there, and 10.5 points heading into today could be 15-17 when all is said and done if he wins both. That's a great tourney under any circumstances.

I'm never going to express my disappointment with those who did not have a good tourney. Every one of them are better at this sport than I was in HS. I'm proud of all of them.

How about Bartlett at 20 points lol.
How about Bo, Haines and Brooks total is 65. Michigan, in second...64.5
Also, if you take our current point totals and assume no Carter, we know no Bernie, no Brooks, and assume no Kerk next year.......we "only" have 80! Still 15.5 ahead of the pack.
Mind blowing stats!

This MF is a stud. 14 points (and counting) with 5.5 bonus (and counting) from a backup who was down at 141 to start the year. I need to see the replay but believe he was trying to turn 3 into 7 on the first takedown against Abas, which is the type of style you love to see.

One SVN injury from 7 finalists, and Kasak has been the most fun to watch for me.

How about Bo, Haines and Brooks total is 65. Michigan, in second...64.5
Also, if you take our current point totals and assume no Carter, we know no Bernie, no Brooks, and assume no Kerk next year.......we "only" have 80! Still 15.5 ahead of the pack.
Mind blowing stats!
Didn't JB say that Kerk was coming back?

Carter Starocci Interview After Semifinal Win

Carter is hilarious! He states that he hears opposing coaches yelling instructions to his opponent and Carter says I’m thinking in my head, then you come out here and do it and see how that works for you!!!🤣

Also, Aaron Brooks told Carter, concerning his injury, are you really that good if everything has to be perfect, for you to win. These guys are amazing!

Last edited:
This MF is a stud. 14 points (and counting) with 5.5 bonus (and counting) from a backup who was down at 141 to start the year. I need to see the replay but believe he was trying to turn 3 into 7 on the first takedown against Abas, which is the type of style you love to see.

One SVN injury from 7 finalists, and Kasak has been the most fun to watch for me.
Kasak has really grown into his starters roll over the course of the season. Can you imagine where he'd be if we had coaches that knew how to coach kids up.

On the AA front, PSU ends up with 8 with the next closest team being NEB at 5. Then a bunch of teams with 4. Of note, tOSU and Lehigh both had 3 AAs. Surprisingly, South Dakota State has 4 AAs.

There's a real chance that 4 year old program Little Rock surpasses Minnesota in score today. Gonna be close. MINN currently has a 1.5 point lead and both have two guys left.
I think Neil Erisman and Damion Hahn are two of best head coaches in the country, and both deserve a shout out.

Bono did a great job when he was at SDSU, but dare I say Hahn has been just as good or maybe better.

Cornell finished in the top 10 of the national meet 11 times in Hahn’s 12 years on staff, as Associate Head Coach.
He was a key part of national champions like Bosak, Simaz, Gabe Dean, Max Dean and Darmstadt.

I was surprised North Carolina didn't try to keep Erisman.

What a thoughtful, well spoken, and truly incredible young man! We are lucky he’s at PSU and that we get to root for him these next handful of years
It’s hard to believe he is a redshirt freshman! Such a mature outlook on EVERYTHING!

Last edited:
If you missed Bernie's matches last night, then you can replay them on ESPN+. Both of Bernie's matches were on Mat 2. His first consi match against #10 Dylan Fishback (NCST) begins at the 1:25:00 mark. His second match against #7 Thomas Stewart Jr. (VT) begins at the 2:35:00 mark. Also, the first mat 2 match of last night was Davis vs. Volk, so that's there too.

If you don't have ESPN+, then here's some PBP:

184 consi R16: #6 Bernie Truax vs. #10 D.Fishback (NCST)
P1:
Both in center, circling, briefly tying up, then breaking apart
Bernie down on both knees in the center, then they're back into a tie on their feet
Fish half shot & Bernie too
Circling, faking, backing out, then engaging again
Fish moving forward & Bernie on the edge, but he circles back in
Back to center & tying up again, no committed shots by either, yet
Head slapping & semi shot by Bernie, nothing close
Back to tying up in the center
Fishback with a shot, but nothing
Tying up again & pushing against each other
More fakes & tying up & circling as the period ends
No score

P2:
Choice Bernie, he defers
Fishback takes down
Fishback quickly to his feet, but Bernie brings him back to the mat
Fishback on his feet again on the edge, but Bernie riding tough & brings him out of bounds, restart
Fishback to his feet, but Bernie brings him back again & they're on the edge, out of bounds, restart
Fishback to his feet right away, but Bernie throws in a leg & brings him back to the mat on the edge, out of bounds, restart, RT 58-sec
Fishback to his feet, tries for a reversal, but Bernie fights him off & they go out of bounds again, restart, RT 1:11
Fishback to his feet again, but Bernie brings him back down in the center of the mat
Bernie gets a leg in & has Fishback bellied out
Bernie rides him out, +2-min RT

P3:
Bernie takes down
Bernie to his feet, gets hand control & is out for the escape 1-0 (RT 1:52)
Bernie gets the ankle & works for the TD 4-0
Out of bounds, restart (RT 1:57)
Fishback to his feet, Bernie throws in a leg, Fishback fighting on the edge & they go out of bounds, restart
Fishback to his feet, but then back to his knees & Bernie wraps him up on the mat, stalemate
1-min left
Fishback to his feet again, Bernie trips him back down to the mat & now he is flat
Bernie riding like a beast in this match!
Fishback flat with Bernie cranking on him
Times going to run out with Bernie on top.
Riding time point Bernie 5-0

#6 Bernie Truax DEC #10 D.Fishback 5-0

Last edited:
Bernie's consi quarterfinal match against #7 Thomas Stewart Jr. (VT) is also on Mat 2, and starts at the 2:35:00 mark. Here's the PBP for those who don't have ESPN+.

184 Consi QF: #6 Bernie Truax vs. #7 Thomas Stewart Jr. (VT)
P1:
Bernie active on the whistle
Slapping at each other & circling, but not much tying up
Bernie shoots for the leg, but nothing
Both tie up, Stewart trying an underhook, now they're on their knees tied up, ref talking to them & they're back on their feet circling in the center
Tying up now, then breaking away, circling
Bernie shoots again, Stewart counters, but can't come around & out of bounds, restart
Tying up again, then breaking apart, circling
Stewart with a half shot, nothing
Stewart gets to the leg, has Bernie's leg elevated, tries to pull him back from the edge & looses the leg
Back to center, circling as time runs out
No score

P2:
Bernie takes down
Bernie quickly to his feet & he's out for the escape 1-0
Back to center, tying up, Stewart with a shot, gets the ankle, Bernie fighting on the edge, Stewart driving forward, but they go off the edge, out of bounds, no takedown, restart
Circling in the center, faking, tying up, then breaking apart
Stewart shoots, but nothing
Stewart shoots again, nothing
Stall warning Bernie
Back to center
Stewart down, working from a knee as the period ends
1-0 Bernie

P3:
Stewart takes down
Stewart to his feet, Bernie gets a leg in & takes him back to the mat
Stewart on his feet again, and gets the escape 1-1
Circling & tying up in the center of the mat
Stewart shoots a double, but Bernie sprawls out & they're back to their feet
Back to center, tying up again, Bernie driving forward, grabs the leg, Stewart tries a bodylock & trip, but Bernie comes out on top & gets the TD & has Stewart on his back for a moment, but Steward rolls through, no nearfall 4-1
Bernie with a leg in & riding touch, Stewart flattened out
Riding time goes over 1-min
Bernie rides him out
Bernie +1 riding time point 5-1

#6 Bernie Truax DEC #7 Thomas Stewart Jr. 5-1

“The Missile!” New nickname for Psycho!!

What I call them when telling my family (who can care less about wrestling)..

Baby face
Nagao
Little Beau (to differentiate from big Bo)
Kasak
Levi
Missile (formerly known as Psycho)
Killer
Bernie
AB
Kerk

You can't. It's either an escape or Stall - can't be both. In addition, on replay you can see Angel start 2nd count as clock is going from 0:06 to 0:05 - he the awarded an escape with 0:02 remaining.... impossible for a 5 count.... unless your Angel Rivera. Good Lord he's brutal.
It is a 5 "count" not 5 "seconds. That gives the refs the some variation from a clock.

From the NCAA rule book:
Rule 5, section 7, "Art. 13. Stalling by Ankle Ride. If the offensive wrestler applies a hold with one or both arm(s)/hand(s) below the buttocks, the referee shall immediately start a verbal five-second count. Whenever possible, the referee also should include a visual indication of the count. The referee shall stop the count when
the offensive wrestler moves their arm(s)/hand(s) back up above the buttocks of the defensive wrestler, or releases the hold. If the referee reaches the fifth count before the offensive wrestler moves their arm(s)/hand(s) back up above
the buttocks of the defensive wrestler, or releases the hold, then the offensive wrestler shall be called for stalling."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT