ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 2 - Match/discussion thread

Imagine being Mark Grey and having to tell the team that his own wife doesn't think they'll ever do it.
Imagine being Mark Grey and that is who you picked to be your wife.

Besides, those kids are smart enough to get into Cornell, they already know.

So what are people thinking about Kasak vs Arrington? I’m sure many of you are familiar with Arrington so how does Kasak match up?

I really feel pretty good about all 6 in the semis. I think all 6 win. I’m not near as confident in our blood round guys. I think Davis beats Volk but that’s a tough match. Orine is favored over Nagao but Aaron has looked really good in his last few matches. He can definitely win but it’s another super tough match. Pretty much exact same thing Kasak. Arrington has to be the favorite but Kasak is wrestling really great right now and I can see him winning to become an AA. Truax worries me because of his injury. Fishback has had a good season but I would expect Bernie to beat him under normal circumstances. That being said, I just don’t know how hurt he is. Hopefully he’s ok and can gut out a win to become a 4 time AA

I feel for Caliendo. He just had maybe the biggest win of his career to make the semis at the national tournament and his reward is Mesenbrink who just gave him what I would think is his worst beating ever. I don’t expect another tech but MM is just a bad stylistic matchup for Caliendo. One more win for both MM and O’Toole and we will finally get the match that everyone wants to see. Can’t wait!

My big upset pick is Echemendia beating Mendez. Echemendia can match his physicality and is incredible from neutral. Mendez needs to put a ride on him but Echemendia has gotten much much better from the bottom position

Just over an hour until the beginning of the best night in all of sports. There is nothing like the semis and the blood round

Add the SF and consi round 4 numbers together. PSU has 10. NEB, who is in 12th place has 7. Four other teams have 6 left.

Team Standings
TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
Seeds
Hold
# SF# F# Cons 4
(Rd of 12)
# Cons 5
(All Amer.)
# Cons Semi# 7th-8th
Penn State
86.5​
254.5​
152​
6​
0​
4​
0​
0​
0​
Michigan
50.5​
130​
66​
4​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
Arizona State
44.5​
104.5​
66.5​
4​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
Iowa State
42​
150​
67​
2​
0​
4​
0​
0​
0​
Iowa
41.5​
149.5​
67.5​
2​
0​
4​
0​
0​
0​
Ohio State
36​
105​
57.5​
2​
0​
2​
0​
0​
0​
Virginia Tech
35.5​
143.5​
52.5​
2​
0​
4​
0​
0​
0​
North Carolina State
33.5​
146​
84.5​
1​
0​
5​
0​
0​
0​
Missouri
33​
121.5​
48.5​
2​
0​
3​
0​
0​
0​
Oklahoma State
33​
102​
48.5​
2​
0​
2​
0​
0​
0​
I'm pretty sure we were the only team with 10 left after yesterday's second session.

Reactions: hlstone
Just needs Prevagen!
FYI - I’m not trying to start a GOAT argument here because I know everyone loves Byers a lot. But the guy who was always on top of it all was Ed Aliverti who I knew personally. He was always the head announcer at the NCAA tournament along with every big wrestling event including the Olympics. But he also was there for local HS events in WA where he lived. He was an amazing guy who unfortunately left us a little too soon because of cancer. Anyone who was at the NCAA tournaments prior to around 2000 will remember him.

Reactions: matter7172
So what are people thinking about Kasak vs Arrington? I’m sure many of you are familiar with Arrington so how does Kasak match up?

I really feel pretty good about all 6 in the semis. I think all 6 win. I’m not near as confident in our blood round guys. I think Davis beats Volk but that’s a tough match. Orine is favored over Nagao but Aaron has looked really good in his last few matches. He can definitely win but it’s another super tough match. Pretty much exact same thing Kasak. Arrington has to be the favorite but Kasak is wrestling really great right now and I can see him winning to become an AA. Truax worries me because of his injury. Fishback has had a good season but I would expect Bernie to beat him under normal circumstances. That being said, I just don’t know how hurt he is. Hopefully he’s ok and can gut out a win to become a 4 time AA

I feel for Caliendo. He just had maybe the biggest win of his career to make the semis at the national tournament and his reward is Mesenbrink who just gave him what I would think is his worst beating ever. I don’t expect another tech but MM is just a bad stylistic matchup for Caliendo. One more win for both MM and O’Toole and we will finally get the match that everyone wants to see. Can’t wait!

My big upset pick is Echemendia beating Mendez. Echemendia can match his physicality and is incredible from neutral. Mendez needs to put a ride on him but Echemendia has gotten much much better from the bottom position

Just over an hour until the beginning of the best night in all of sports. There is nothing like the semis and the blood round
Hopeful for Davis.

Not very confident with Nagao, but we’ll see. Glad he rebounded from the R1 loss to win three.

Tough match for Kasak but note that Abas is still wrestling too. I’m hopeful. Also, NC State isn’t matching their impressive records and seeds; their conference isn’t the Big Ten.

Read above that Truax’s knee isn’t good. :(

Last edited:
Does anyone give Sloan a chance against Hidlay? Sloan is wrestling really well right now. I think Hidlay is too powerful and good on his feet but Sloan is great on top if he gets the chance. I only give Sloan about a 10-15% chance but does anyone think he can pull it off?

Reactions: 1AA and mcpat
Does anyone give Sloan a chance against Hidlay? Sloan is wrestling really well right now. I think Hidlay is too powerful and good on his feet but Sloan is great on top if he gets the chance. I only give Sloan about a 10-15% chance but does anyone think he can pull it off?
I have seen the last two matches Sloan wrestle and he was tough. I am going with a toss up here .

Reactions: donboy6499
Byers chugs 5-Hour Energy to calm down.
Coffee Fry GIF

I remember going to eat between sessions in 2011 (in Philly) thinking that Cornell had it won... Then Friday night happened. Cornell hasn't quite been the same since.
Oh yeah - I remember thinking the same. Also, I know for a fact that the Cornell program has had it in for Penn State ever since that happened. It’s also a good indicator that the Penn State program is running a straight show in spite of the accusations by vodka and his buddies. If the Cornell guys got even a hint of any improprieties by PSU, they would be on the phone with the compliance committee in a second.

Oh yeah - I remember thinking the same. Also, I know for a fact that the Cornell program has had it in for Penn State ever since that happened. It’s also a good indicator that the Penn State program is running a straight show in spite of the accusations by vodka and his buddies. If the Cornell guys got even a hint of any improprieties by PSU, they would be on the phone with the compliance committee in a second.
Not to mention a battery of lawyers. ;)

More than that, Cornell would've hired an army of lawyers.
man-city-lawyers.gif

I think that was a mistake from Feldman for taking neutral. Was pumped when he chose that.

Totally disagree. Kirk rides almost anyone including Feldman in the recent past. Kirk not shooting in the first two periods almost resulted is his only shot being in his own foot. Feldman almost got the late TD, and would have looked like a genus picking Neutral if he had. Why let an inferior opponent stay in the match where the last 30 seconds dictates the winner? Beau, Kirk, even Davis to some extent. PSU as a collective absolutely converts on over 50% of our deep shots. Every guy on the squad needs 2 committed shots in the first period.

Last edited:
Mitchell Mesenbrink vs Cameron Amine(Michigan) - NCAA 165 LBS Quarterfinals, Full Match

https://images.app.goo.gl/YjaZvSavYrnbagBR7Mesenbrink has a couple moments each match where he’s wrestling after the whistle, talking to the coaches, talking to the ref. It reminds me of the pro wrestler Kamala when I was a kid who’s schtick was that he was from Africa and didn’t understand what was going on so his handler was always jumping in.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Totally disagree. Kirk rides almost anyone including Feldman in the recent past. Kirk not shooting in the first two periods almost resulted is his only shot being in his own foot. Feldman almost got the late TD, and would have looked like a genus picking Neutral if he had. Why let an inferior opponent stay in the match where the last 30 seconds dictates the winner? Beau, Kirk, even Davis to some extent. PSU as a collective absolutely converts on over 50% of our deep shots. Every guy on the squad needs 2 committed shots in the first period.
Goggles is right. Feldman has never escaped from underneath Kerk. No reason to think he would've today.

Also Feldman took neutral at B10s. So if course he would at nationals.

Reactions: NoVaLion2
Of that particular moment and nothing else.

And that's a pretty big if.
I was at the KC hospital and hour ago and Truax was on crutches after surgery. Davis was having a hook sown onto his left arm stub. Kerk was getting a hamstring implant. McIntosh was seeing a shrink for his homesickness. And Carl was getting hair follicle transplants.

I was at the KC hospital and hour ago and Truax was on crutches after surgery. Davis was having a hook sown onto his left arm stub. Kerk was getting a hamstring implant. McIntosh was seeing a shrink for his homesickness. And Carl was getting hair follicle transplants.
Good stuff. Anyone else ever been at emergency room during a big wrestling tournament? Busy place full of beat up wreslers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT