ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 2 - Match/discussion thread

Only the people who think Iowa should win every year like the Gable era. Knowledgeable fans knew we had no chance to win this year. Still hoping for a team trophy. I would be melting down if I was a Nebraska fan. 7 in the quarters and go 1-6
I think you have a GREAT chance next year! Maybe even more of a shot than PSU. Believe it! Don't let anyone tell you guys any differently.

I do this so they get their hopes up. I enjoy their meltdowns more when they thought they had a chance.

It might be time for me to enter the portal.
793da4cf2b556ef29026caff0ba72516.gif

I think back to 2011 and Ed Ruth’s injury.
I never thought Ed would wrestle in the Consolations, but he ended up taking 3rd in impressive fashion.

I may be wrong, but Ed’s 3rd place win might have clinched Cael’s first title. Very fuzzy on that detail.
It did clinch the title

He had a great year but I think the lack of competition during the season didn’t prepare him for the grind of the tournament.
I don't buy that. Hell, our guys struggled to get enough matches for RPI. Glazier took a dive in the last month. Injury? Overtraining? Lights were too bright?

I don't buy that. Hell, our guys struggled to get enough matches for RPI. Glazier took a dive in the last month. Injury? Overtraining? Lights were too bright?
I think he meant Glazier's schedule was weak, albeit thru no fault of his own.

In the regular season Glazier faced Brooks, Surber, Allred, Joles 2x, and Wehmeyer. And of course Mr. Fast Splits. The only other guy he faced with a winning record was Urbas' backup at Penn. He got a lot of guys with ugly W-L records, some of them backups.

In the regular season Glazier faced Brooks, Surber, Allred, Joles 2x, and Wehmeyer. And of course Mr. Fast Splits. The only other guy he faced with a winning record was Urbas' backup at Penn. He got a lot of guys with ugly W-L records, some of them backups.
Doesn't Iowa wrestle the same rotation in B1Gs as we do? Then you add the Xmas tourneys. A match with Ferrari. I just don't think the quality of his schedule is why he went 1-2. Aaron had 6 wins against top 16. Glazier had 4. He was listless for the most part at NCAAs and I watched all three matches. He is not the same guy who wrestled in January.

Correct.

Can somebody do the math for me since I am not really sure how, what is the max points that PSU can score now.

I guess what I am asking is, if we don't get 10 AA's (not looking so good), and say only five Champs with six finalists how many points is that?

• Haha
Reactions: PAwrestling
Can somebody do the math for me since I am not really sure how, what is the max points that PSU can score now.

I guess what I am asking is, if we don't get 10 AA's (not looking so good), and say only five Champs with six finalists how many points is that?

You can always check the max points for any team on the PSWC website, but honestly, those max points are NEVER going to happen. That's only if PSU were to win every match by fall. It will determine when PSU clinches mathematically (which will be tonight), but as Madden pointed out, barring something REALLY BIBLICAL, PSU has already clinched.

Michigan has 5 wrestlers left (4 in Semi, 2 BR)
#5 Ragusin vs #1 Fix
#6 Gomez vs #2 Parco
#4 Griffith vs #9 Starocci
#10 Davison vs #3 Hendrickson
#10 Amine vs #20 Garvin (BR)

Iowa has 6 wrestlers left (2 semi, 4 BR)
#3 Ayala vs. #10. Barnett
#6 Calienda vs #2 Mesenbrink
#3 Woods vs #7 Happel (BR)
#15 Teske vs #4 Shawyer (BR)
#10 Franek vs. #5 Downey (BR)
#12 Kennedy vs #1 Lewis (BR)

Iowa State 6 wrestlers left (2 semi, 4 BR)
#4 Carr vs #1 O'Toole
#5 Echemendia vs #1 Mendez
#8 Frost vs #20 Wells (BR)
#8 Swiderski vs #14 D'Emilio (BR)
#15 Gaitan vs. #3 Ruth (BR)
#2 Bastida vs. #13 Slavikouski (BR)

Nebraska has 7 wrestlers left (1 semi, 6 BR)
#1 Lovett vs. #4 Henson
BR
#15. Smith vs. #20 Poulin
#9 Hardy vs. #11 Koderhandt
#8 Robb vs. #19. Askey
#8 Taylor vs. #14. Petrucelli
#5 Pinto vs. #9 Berge
#10 Allred vs #5 Cardenas

Nebraska has the best shot to score points this evening but starting 12.5 points behind Iowa and 21.5 behind Michigan.

Reactions: danoftw
Doesn't Iowa wrestle the same rotation in B1Gs as we do? Then you add the Xmas tourneys. A match with Ferrari. I just don't think the quality of his schedule is why he went 1-2. Aaron had 6 wins against top 16. Glazier had 4. He was listless for the most part at NCAAs and I watched all three matches. He is not the same guy who wrestled in January.
I'm not going to tell you that Glazier's schedule was the only reason for his dropoff this weekend. It's probably either some injury and/or the usual Iowa all-out-intensity catching up to him.

And his schedule stunk on ice. He got a lot of backups and jabronis.

Comparing that to Aaron isn't useful. Aaron faces a tougher schedule in practice every week than Glazier faced all year. Also Aaron could be 0-0 in the regular season and still win the national title.

By my math if PSU puts five guys in the finals they clinch tonight.
Only if other teams do not have a great night in consis. Consis on Friday night are real drivers of team scores. A lot of point are given or lost in rounds 4 & 5 of consis. Remember Minny in 2001 won nationals on the backside.

You might be right but we need help to close out tonight. If we send 5 into the final, that would give us around 125 not counting the guys in consis. There are still several teams that could "potentially" get to 150. Unlikely but a 1 in 14,000,605 possibility.

I'm not going to tell you that Glazier's schedule was the only reason for his dropoff this weekend. It's probably either some injury and/or the usual Iowa all-out-intensity catching up to him.

And his schedule stunk on ice. He got a lot of backups and jabronis.

Comparing that to Aaron isn't useful. Aaron faces a tougher schedule in practice every week than Glazier faced all year. Also Aaron could be 0-0 in the regular season and still win the national title.
Oh I agree, I just thought it was simplistic to think that Glazier's problem was schedule. I agree, it's a combo of things including the usual Iowa March dive. I like Glazier. I wish he could have done better. The way he pounded the mat over and over after losing, it seemed his frustration was very high for some reason.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Any video by chance of Kasak/Fernandez? Completely missed it, don’t think I can replay ESPN+ yet
I watch on ESPN+. Just pause one mat until the other mat finishes. You can also hit the back button if you miss something on a mat. All that for 10.00....tee hee

85.5 right now.

- all six semifinalists win: +42
- half the BR matches are wins: +7
- how about two bonus points with those eight wins? +2

Puts us at 136.5

All six finalists win tomorrow night: +24
2 others take 4th: +14
How about two more bonus among those ten wins? +2

= 176.5

There’s a path. Even with no more bonus, placements can get us there.
It's a path. A path where almost everything must go perfectly. In other words, not very realistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT