ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session I

He was winning all the coin flips early. He's losing them all now. Live by the sword, die by the sword

Exactly.

Not that he was great until January and terrible now. Wrestle these matches, and not substantially better, you'll win about half. Never beat the really good guys but never lose to the really bad guys. Max Murin 2.0

Reactions: Ski
Exactly.

Not that he was great until January and terrible now. Wrestle these matches, and not substantially better, you'll win about half. Never beat the really good guys but never lose to the really bad guys. Max Murin 2.0
Max Murin never lost first round of NCAAs!

• Wow
Reactions: donboy6499
Max Murin never lost first round of NCAAs!
i hate you lol GIF

I mean, you could watch the last 50 matches of his career. It’s not giving up, it’s evaluating. You would like to see *some* sort of progression.
Yeah, I get the people that are saying that he will learn from this. But those people need to rewatch his B1G action, and the last few weeks in duals. He was all defense in the first half of the year, and then he started getting in on the single leg attack. That was good because he really struggled to find an effective attack. But for quite a few weeks he has struggled to actually finish that. And it costs him. I was hoping there would be progress, but today showed it just isn't happening soon enough. I'm not tossing him away because he is a good wrestler, but he needs to get over the hump on offense, and soon.

Glad we didn’t do that with Nick Lee after his first NCAA Tournament match.
Quite true. He has to adjust, though. The end of the season he seemed to lose his neutral offense and in this match he was rather aggressive with good angles on the low single.

The problem is in match adjusting. If you try the same TD 3 times and your opponent exquisitely defends it with a killer ankle whizzer trying the same TD 3 more times is tough sledding. Lift and cross to double before the whizzer sinks, if your clean approach to the shot is the same.

He will learn. Gotta learn fast. Ramirez is as real as Alex right now

Last edited:
After this round does it go straight into the first round of consis? Then the second round on the front side is tonight?

Nowhere did I say Alex sucks. Nowhere did I say he’s a bad person! But he hasn’t been able to score consistently against good or even middling competition dating back to high school. He’s shown little growth in that avenue for two years. Yes, a team like Penn State which strives to win the team title every single season should, in fact, see what it’s options are at the weight class and then make the best decision it can given the information at hand. If that’s keeping Alex at 165? Great! But explore your options.

Labs getting rode hard! Mekhi wrestles so many close matches but damn is he hard to score on

Nowhere did I say Alex sucks. Nowhere did I say he’s a bad person! But he hasn’t been able to score consistently against good or even middling competition dating back to high school. He’s shown little growth in that avenue for two years. Yes, a team like Penn State which strives to win the team title every single season should, in fact, see what it’s options are at the weight class and then make the best decision it can given the information at hand. If that’s keeping Alex at 165? Great! But explore your options.
NO NO CLAY WHAT YOU SAID IS THAT THE COACHES STINK AND THAT ALEX PUNCHES OLD WOMEN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT