ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NCAAs Session 1B Thread

I could see that coming a mile away. Joe isn't able to get past his head/hand D and Wittlake wasn't ever going to take a shot, only push Joe off the mat which would have ended in another stall call.

Reactions: a_mshaffer
Joe thinks he's stronger than he is. This is the 3rd or 4th match I remember this year where he tried a throw and nearly pinned himself. STOP DOING THAT.

Edit: I want to say I would rather Joe go For It like he did, then lose gracefully never trying. I love the kids Guts:)

giphy.gif

Will he EVER learn?

It was desperation. Wittlake wasn't going to take a shot. All he was going to do was tie Joe up and push him out of bounds to generate another BS stall call. The ref was going to allow it to happen and let Wittlake collect stall points without ever attempting a shot. It was a bad attempt but I get it. He didn't think he had another choice.

Lee looking a little more cautious than usual, which is a good sign, no score after 1. Wittlake not letting him near his legs. Lee got hit with a stall warning for getting pushed out of bounds.

Wittlake out from bottom, again looking for a push out stall point, but not getting it that time. Lee tries to throw and fails hard. Lucky it wasn't a fall. 7-0 Wittlake. Lee escapes, nearly gets a reversal but can't convert.

Lee on bottom, down 7-1. Wittlake puts boots in for a stall ride, ref seems content to let it go. Wittlake now riding to the side, with an arm. He'll ride out for the 8-1 win.

165 R1: Joe Lee vs. Travis Wittlake (Okla. St.)

I'll use TW for Wittlake

Per 1
Lee with a shot, stuffed. Lots of head control. TW tries a shuck-by, nothing. Nothing thru 1:30. OOB with 59 sec left. TW drives in, and drives Lee off the mat, so a stall warming on Joe. End

Per 2
TW takes bottom. TW tries a stout off the whistle and nearly gets turned. Then to his feet out out, 0-1. TW with a quick shot, nothing. On the edge, and OOB with 1:31 left. Stoppage for interlocking hands with 1:15 left. Lee reaches, nothing. They both go for a throw but TW sticks him with a TD and 4 NF, 0-7. OOB with 15 sec. Caution on TW. Caution again on TW. Lee grabs a leg, they scramble, he nearly gets a rev, but they go OOB and Lee is awarded an esc, 1-7. End. RT @ ?? for TW

Per 3
Lee takes bottom. Some stoppage for ?? Lee hits a roll but TW stays with him. TW throws in the boots, and flattens Lee. . Not much from either guy. TW now out to the side. TW controlling Lee's left arm and that's controlling him. End. With 2:28 in RT, it's an 1-8 decision for TW.

The danger of throws.

It was desperation. Wittlake wasn't going to take a shot. All he was going to do was tie Joe up and push him out of bounds to generate another BS stall call. The ref was going to allow it to happen and let Wittlake collect stall points without ever attempting a shot. It was a bad attempt but I get it. He didn't think he had another choice.
He shouldn't have gone all in with the move. He should have just used it to get off the edge without picking up the stall call.

Why the desperation? Take it to the 3rd down 1-0 or 2-0 at worst with another stall call.

For one of the smallest 165 lbers I've ever seen, Joe Lee sure likes big moves that should lend themselves more to strength wrestlers.

174 R1: Carter Stracci vs. Victor Marcelli (UVA)

Per 1
Star reaches for an ankle, nothing. that's about it thru 1:30. CStar with a double to a single, VM grabs an ankle, CStar works and gets the TD, 2-0. Rides him out. End RT @ 51 sec for Starocci

Per 2
Starocci takes bottom. He's to his feet and out, 3-0. Not a lot, either ear to ear, or forehead to forehead. 1 min left. Starocci shoots on a single but they go OOB with 26 sec left. Starocci in on a leg to a double for the late TD, 5-0. End. RT @ 48 sec for Starocci

Per 3
VM takes bottom. Starocci gets RT over 1 min and basically cuts him. Starocci in on a head inside single and gets the TD, 7-1. He cuts him with 1 min left, 7-2. VM with a double from center field, Starocci counters and gets behind for the TD. He rides him out, and with 2:08 in RT, it's a 10-2, Major for Starocci!

any upsets so far in Session 1B? Doing PBP, I miss the opportunity to monitor other bouts while PSUers are wrestling

I kind of agree with you, he should have waited until the last minute for the desperation throw. Witt lake was content to have a low scoring match, keep trying to set up a clean TD for the win. Maybe Wittlake makes an error...instead Joe made an lethal mistake.

I expect this to be my only post in this tournament. I do not understand Joe Lee’s decision-making. When does coaching come into play?

Wittlake was content to win 1-0 or 2-0 (if he gets another stall) Joe was not going to get to his legs. That being said, that was not a good plan B lol.

any upsets so far in Session 1B? Doing PBP, I miss the opportunity to monitor other bouts while PSUers are wrestling

I looked at the PSWC brackets and the only one I saw was 165 lbs #12 Keating VA loses to Peyton Hall.

Also, At 174 pounds, No. 20 Trey Munoz (Arizona State) scored a mild upset over No. 13 Jackson Hemauer (Northern Colorado), 6-2.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT