ADVERTISEMENT

2021 B1G Tournament Session III Thread

Byers admits that 9 PSUers are qualified for Nationals. He apologies for the misinformation he was stating about qualifiers last night (in Session II coverage).
"admits"?

Edit - Sorry, posted before I read the following post about Byers' mistake about number of qualifiers.

Last edited:
125: Howard vs. Malik Heinselman (OSU) in the Consolation Semis
- interesting match, in that Howard had trouble with Malik in the PSU - tOSU dual, where Howard suffered his 1st college defeat.

157: Brady Berge vs. Brayton Lee (Minny) in the Consolation Semis
- a guy from Minny wrestling for PSU, and a guy from Indy wrestling for Minny

165: Joe Lee vs. David Ferrante (NW) in the 7th Place Match
they met in PSU's 1st dual, which Lee won 8-7. Joe is such a wild card it's hard to have any sense of how this match will go.

197: Michael Beard vs. Cameron Caffey (MSU) in the Consolation Semis
- I don't think they've met in college. Caffey is talented, and has a lot of college experience.

285: Greg Kerkvilet vs. Christian Lance (Nebraska) in the Consolation Semis
- Lance is a 5th year senior. Kerk is the young buck. I think Kerk's athleticism is too much for Lance, but only time will tell.

** RANGER DAN - DO NOT READ !! **

Might as well add it in here, in case people didn't read other threads

Freestyle in France:

Mark Hall stuck Myles Martin at 86kg and had two other techs.

Mark reached the 86 finals to face his long time rival - Zahid.

Last edited:
- interesting match, in that Howard had trouble with Malik in the PSU - tOSU dual, where Howard suffered his 1st college defeat.

they met in PSU's 1st dual, which Lee won 8-7. Joe is such a wild card it's hard to have any sense of how this match will go.

- I don't think they've met in college. Caffey is talented, and has a lot of college experience.

- Lance is a 5th year senior. Kerk is the young buck. I think Kerk's athleticism is too much for Lance, but only time will tell.

Was it Lance last evening that walked out on the mat against Gable in the Semis only to MFF before the match started? Will he even be wrestling against Kerk?

I assume these are the extra-place matches going on. Anybody know how many weights require them so I can estimate Robbie’s start time?

Was it Lance last evening that walked out on the mat against Gable in the Semis only to MFF before the match started? Will he even be wrestling against Kerk?
Definitely Lance. Maybe just ducking, but, I'll take the MFF if he wants to hand us the points.:)

Reactions: liex26 and Afw6006
Yes and TBD.

I thought it was weird that Lance actually walked out onto the mat to MFF. Not sure if there is a rule where they have to walk out for a MFF in order to wrestling later in the tournament? Maybe I missed it but I didn't even hear them start the match and end it so that he could say he started the match. Seemed like he just went out there to watch Gable raise his hand

Not that it is a big deal or anything, but does anyone have any audio? Not even the background noise for me.

Was thinking the exact same thing when I heard about the x-ray. The way Brooks was first holding his ankle, it appeared like a possible high ankle sprain. As we probably all know, a bad sprain can be painful and take a long time to fully heal. Don't think an x-ray provides much info about an ankle sprain, but maybe I'm wrong.

But Brooks sure looked okay after the injury, which is probably the most important thing.

Voltaren topical gel is now available as an OTC medication. Next time you hurt something, try it. It really does work.

Reactions: phelpsp

Those could all be tough matches for PSU. I also probably like Kerk's chances the best.

Howard had nothing for Heinselman in the earlier match and will have his hands full. However, was impressed with Howard's win over a very tough Ragusin last night.

Berge vs Lee promises to be another low scoring affair, with maybe one TD that will decide it.

Caffey is long and pretty athletic, and hard to take down. He'll let guys get to his leg, then try to create a scramble situation that he turns into his own points. Will be a very good test for Beard.

Joe Lee seems to get an adrenaline pump at the start of match, and then is just drained early in the 2nd period. It's become a trend.

Joe Lee looked angry with himself after his last match (pin). Maybe he will return with some sustained fire.

Is J-Lee wrestling in the matches currently being contested?
No. He'll be wrestling for 7th when they start the placement matches. The matches right now are the 9th place matches (so there will be alternates or placement at weights where they're needed). After that the consolation semi-finals start. Howard [edit: on deck] on mat 2.

Robbie looking more comfortable against Heinselman. May still be just a tad not strong enough.

Reactions: diggerpup
125 Consolation Semis: Robbie Howard vs. Malik Heinselman (tOSU)

Per 1
Malik reaches for an ankle, nothing. Malik in on a low single, Howard with a whizzer, Howard reached for an ankle, and Malik bails, nothing. Malik with a low shot, they scramble, but Malik gets the TD, 0-2. Howard quickly to his feet and out, 1-2. Howard in on a low single, drives in, they scramble, Malik has good position, this is wild, nothing. Malik with a duck, buzzer. End. RT @ 6 sec for Malik

Per 2
Howard takes bottom. He's to his feet, taken back down. To his feet again and he's out, 2-2. Collar ties, blah, blah, blah. Malik tries a throw, Howard blocks with the hips, nothing. Malik reaches for a leg, nothing. End. RT @ 18 sec for Malik

Per 3
Heinselman takes bottom. He's up and out really quickly, 2-3. 1 min left. Howard shoots, Malik sprawls, nothing. Howard in on a head inside single, a scramble, nothing. Malik reaches for a leg and drives through for a late TD, 2-5. End

Howard will wrestle for 5th place in Session IV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT