ADVERTISEMENT

2021 B1G Tournament Session III Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
Please use this thread for pre-Session, in-Session, and post-Session discussions. As always, when replying to a post, please use the Quote function.

When
March 7, 12 pm (noon) EST

Where
@ Penn State

TV
none (the BTN will cover Session IV, at 4 pm EST)

Video Streaming
BTN+ will have coverage of each mat, for those that are subscribers

Audio
Byers will have the audio PBP. The pre-tournament show will start at 11::40 am EST, with wrestling coverage commencing at 12 pm. You can access the audio at:

PBP
I should be able to do the PBP

Team Scoring
The best source for team scoring throughout the tournament is the Penn State Wrestling Club. Their link for live team scoring is:

PSU matches in this Session:

125: Howard vs. Malik Heinselman (OSU) in the Consolation Semis

157: Brady Berge vs. Brayton Lee (Minny) in the Consolation Semis

165: Joe Lee vs. David Ferrante (NW) in the 7th Place Match

197: Michael Beard vs. Cameron Caffey (MSU) in the Consolation Semis

285: Greg Kerkvilet vs. Christian Lance (Nebraska) in the Consolation Semis

Hell of a battle today! You all suffered a couple early setbacks but really stepped it up in the second session. For all intents and purposes, it's still anyone's for the taking. By anyone of course I mean PSU and Iowa. You have a chance to do well in the wrestlebacks and your finalists are all looking very good. Kem/Starocci and Lee/Eierman could decide it all in the end. I don't think the RBY or Brooks matches are in question unless poor Brooks has to pull out because of that ankle. Hated seeing that, but thankfully it appeared to be a minor injury and nothing that will keep him out of St. Louis. BTW, loved Lee's reaction when he beat Rivera and am glad he won the match as Rivera seems to be (at least from an outsider's perspective) a real trash talker.

Good luck tomorrow! :)

You are awesome, Tom!

Yep
9c73d24cd9bf2344987a22453f7facba.gif

Hell of a battle today! You all suffered a couple early setbacks but really stepped it up in the second session. For all intents and purposes, it's still anyone's for the taking. By anyone of course I mean PSU and Iowa. You have a chance to do well in the wrestlebacks and your finalists are all looking very good. Kem/Starocci and Lee/Eierman could decide it all in the end. I don't think the RBY or Brooks matches are in question unless poor Brooks has to pull out because of that ankle. Hated seeing that, but thankfully it appeared to be a minor injury and nothing that will keep him out of St. Louis. BTW, loved Lee's reaction when he beat Rivera and am glad he won the match as Rivera seems to be (at least from an outsider's perspective) a real trash talker.

Appreciate the well wishes. Should be some good battles between the Hawks and the Nits today but expect the experienced Hawks to prevail. Last years gap of 50 pts between them should be significantly closed setting up a real battle at Nationals. By the way, Spence Lee might just be the most dominating wrestler in this century. My god is he a buzz saw. Such an absolute joy to watch how he dissects the opponent and breaks them down within 10-15 seconds. Unbelievable!

PSU matches in this Session:

125: Howard vs. Malik Heinselman (OSU) in the Consolation Semis

157: Brady Berge vs. Brayton Lee (Minny) in the Consolation Semis

165: Joe Lee vs. David Ferrante (NW) in the 7th Place Match

195: Michael Beard vs. Cameron Caffey (MSU) in the Consolation Semis

285: Greg Kerkvilet vs. Christian Lance (Nebraska) in the Consolation Semis
thanks for posting, Tom, and great job by the wrestlers to work their way through consolations

I don't know how many of these are likely to go PSU's way -- probably Kerk and maybe Joe Lee, but we may be underdogs in the other matchups; I hope they surprise me

thanks for posting, Tom, and great job by the wrestlers to work their way through consolations

I don't know how many of these are likely to go PSU's way -- probably Kerk and maybe Joe Lee, but we may be underdogs in the other matchups; I hope they surprise me
As @smalls103 says, Robbie’s a different guy when he’s wrestling cocky. Malik H better be ready because I’m sure Robbie is just going to go gunslinger today

Appreciate the well wishes. Should be some good battles between the Hawks and the Nits today but expect the experienced Hawks to prevail. Last years gap of 50 pts between them should be significantly closed setting up a real battle at Nationals. By the way, Spence Lee might just be the most dominating wrestler in this century. My god is he a buzz saw. Such an absolute joy to watch how he dissects the opponent and breaks them down within 10-15 seconds. Unbelievable!
He is definately the most dangerous top wrestler. He rolled Foley and he couldnt even muster an inch of movement?
If Lee gets that bar arm in on you in FS, its game over, now he’s sticking guys with it in FOLK??

Edit: good show on Lee last night.

As @smalls103 says, Robbie’s a different guy when he’s wrestling cocky. Malik H better be ready because I’m sure Robbie is just going to go gunslinger today
One can see Howard and Beard gaining confidence, which should be scary for others. Same with Brady......nice offense, use it. Carter should start to use all that movement for more scoring attempts. If you are going to dance like RBY, then you should try to score like RBY. CStar is getting better too.

You're all class Nashville. Just in case you're not Captain Obvious..... Kemdog and Eierman are are BEASTS!!! Good luck.

Brooks ankle will be ok they had a x-ray done

Did AB not wrestle with no visible tape/limps/winces etc AFTER the Brands match??
Or was i dreaming ?
There is no story here.

Thank you! Same to the Hawks! This is how it should be. Mutual respect between two great programs!

3:25 AM??? You up late going thru your couch cushions gathering up $50?? 🤑🤓🤪

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Creek Side
Dont forget RoHo made 3 straight Cadet World teams, and prolly woulda made the Jr team last year if not for C19.
He’s no stranger to lockin em up.

Good effort and energy from everyone today. Results will take care of themselves. The discussions on the team from the coaches and the team leaders are still about having fun, embracing the moment, and letting it all on the mat. The biggest and most important impact right now is NCAA seeding. Guys can help or hurt their landing in the NCAA brackets. Time to have a little FUN today.

Last edited:
I
One can see Howard and Beard gaining confidence, which should be scary for others. Same with Brady......nice offense, use it. Carter should start to use all that movement for more scoring attempts. If you are going to dance like RBY, then you should try to score like RBY. CStar is getting better too.
I don't think anyone is going to want Beard at Nationals. He seems to have figured out his stamina issue.
Brady will have more success against the straight on ,tie up wrestler. I think a quicker side to side guy will give him trouble.
I don't know how the 149 weight was playing out in the beginning of season in the PSU room, but I think Beau would have benefited immensely if he would of had more matches at 149
Howard was trying to hit home runs when he started, he has started to take what's there. His next match will be a good barameter on where he stands.
Joe Lee is the ultimate "Live by the sword,die by the sword", guy. Hopefully he figures out the the chess match attitude.

Man do the Rutgres fans hate him. All the more fun to see him succeed

I noticed that. Is there some backstory why this is the case?

Robbie is one of those guys that does have that cocky smirk and I noticed he was smiling when he had the RU kid locked up on his back.

I guess he will fall into the “if he’s on you’re team, you love him but opponents will see him as the heel”

I see there are a few "mini tournaments" for 9th place, anyone know if these are before/after/during the consi's?

I noticed that. Is there some backstory why this is the case?

Robbie is one of those guys that does have that cocky smirk and I noticed he was smiling when he had the RU kid locked up on his back.

I guess he will fall into the “if he’s on you’re team, you love him but opponents will see him as the heel”
Howard very openly rejected Rutgers -- very early in the process, every time the topic came up, and more than a few times it didn't come up.

Said what is common knowledge -- that Rutgers isn't good enough.

Did I mention he wasn't shy about it?

It was never personal for him, but he's brash, and every time he said something, it became more and more personal for them.

This is one of the mildest things he said -- which is pretty mild, but one can see why Rutgers fans would go bonkers about it. LINK

Being a New Jersey kid, I’m sure Rutgers has a soft spot in your heart, so was it difficult to make a decision to go to Penn State over Rutgers at all?

RH:
No. A lot of people, because you live in New Jersey, they think Rutgers is not the be-all end-all, but they want to see the best kids go to Rutgers. People get upset. People are crazy about the sport and, in New Jersey, they love Rutgers. Obviously, people have been pushing me to go there, but it’s just not the place where I felt I could accomplish my goals. My goal is to be a four-time national champion, and the only person that has ever done that is Cael Sanderson. So, if anyone that is going to know how to do it again, it’s Coach Cael.

Last edited:
Howard very openly rejected Rutgers -- very early in the process, every time the topic came up, and more than a few times it didn't come up.

Said what is common knowledge -- that Rutgers isn't good enough.

Did I mention he wasn't shy about it?

It was never personal for him, but he's brash, and every time he said something, it became more and more personal for them.

This is one of the mildest things he said -- which is pretty mild, but one can see why Rutgers fans would go bonkers about it. LINK

Being a New Jersey kid, I’m sure Rutgers has a soft spot in your heart, so was it difficult to make a decision to go to Penn State over Rutgers at all?

RH:
No. A lot of people, because you live in New Jersey, they think Rutgers is not the be-all end-all, but they want to see the best kids go to Rutgers. People get upset. People are crazy about the sport and, in New Jersey, they love Rutgers. Obviously, people have been pushing me to go there, but it’s just not the place where I felt I could accomplish my goals. My goal is to be a four-time national champion, and the only person that has ever done that is Cael Sanderson. So, if anyone that is going to know how to do it again, it’s Coach Cael.

lol. Wow. Ok I get it now..he doesn’t mince words does he? Different era with him and Carter huh? Compared to the quiet stoic types we’re used to.

Personally, I appreciate being real but just make sure you back it up on the mat if you’re going to put yourself out there. So far both our guys have done that

lol. Wow. Ok I get it now..he doesn’t mince words does he? Different era with him and Carter huh? Compared to the quiet stoic types we’re used to.

Personally, I appreciate being real but just make sure you back it up on the mat if you’re going to put yourself out there. So far both our guys have done that

Nothing really disrespectful there, just a young kid answering a loaded question honestly. Despite the pressure to stay home he was always going to go where he felt he could best accomplish his goals. Rutgers Fans are mostly salty because he chose the team they hate the most. Nick Suriano was a POS until he transferred there and became their savior. Same thing goes on in football. They're simply a different breed.

Yes, and I'm loving it.

Track is showing the 9th place bouts as taking place at the start of Session III
I suspect 14 bonus bouts (2 at 7 weight classes) will be wrestled on the three mats first. If true, this means Howard won't be up for 35-50 minutes or so. Is this what others are seeing. The 9th place bouts will likely be inserted after the consy semifinals...just a guess.

I suspect 14 bonus bouts (2 at 7 weight classes) will be wrestled on the three mats first. If true, this means Howard won't be up for 35-50 minutes or so. Is this what others are seeing. The 9th place bouts will likely be inserted after the consy semifinals...just a guess.

I think that's correct. Track indicates the matches are 9th place, but there are multiple ones per weight, which isn't possible.

@rmg78 -- I think @RoarLions1 answer is more accurate than my prior answer.

Byers admits that 9 PSUers are qualified for Nationals. He apologies for the misinformation he was stating about qualifiers last night (in Session II coverage).

X-ray showed no fracture but bad sprains can cause as much pain as a fracture.
Was thinking the exact same thing when I heard about the x-ray. The way Brooks was first holding his ankle, it appeared like a possible high ankle sprain. As we probably all know, a bad sprain can be painful and take a long time to fully heal. Don't think an x-ray provides much info about an ankle sprain, but maybe I'm wrong.

But Brooks sure looked okay after the injury, which is probably the most important thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT