ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Sixers Thread

Final, 109-106, Hawks.

Hawks outscored the Sixers 40-17 in the 4th quarter.

Un F*ing believable

Embid got tired out just like last game. Korkmaz and Harris disappeared tonight and Curry was their only option. Shake was just OK and I would have liked to seen more minutes from Maxey just to get some energy out there. I think the series is probably over now as we have no way to stop Young.

Same old Sixers. They have three max players and only one who’s worth a damn. Morey has A LOT of work to do this off-season. If it’s any consolation, they weren’t going to beat Brooklyn even if they had gotten by Atlanta.

Reactions: Lion8286 and royboy
Embid got tired out just like last game. Korkmaz and Harris disappeared tonight and Curry was their only option. Shake was just OK and I would have liked to seen more minutes from Maxey just to get some energy out there. I think the series is probably over now as we have no way to stop Young.
And that underscores how poorly constructed this Sixers roster is. They completely blew The Process. It’s over.

Reactions: delcoLion
Simmons doesn't actually shoot. He just throws the ball at the hoop like it's an elevated cornhole toss. Not a good look for a point guard.

Reactions: psu00
Lou Williams gutted the Sixers in the fourth quarter.

6/16/21…the day the Sixers broke me.

I’m out. I can’t do this anymore. Won’t watch another game this round. I can’t do it.

Looks like Doc’s history of collapses are happening every game rather than after having a series lead.

6/16/21…the day the Sixers broke me.

I’m out. I can’t do this anymore. Won’t watch another game this round. I can’t do it.

Looks like Doc’s history of collapses are happening every game rather than after having a series lead.
No way I'm putting this on Doc. This is on the players.

Somewhere Brett Brown is laughing. Doc Rivers came up as small as the players. When you need a three at the end, why is Simmons in the game. Horrible sets after timeouts.

Reactions: jmorovich
No way I'm putting this on Doc. This is on the players.
Just heard that Nate McMillian pushed all the right buttons. If that’s the case then how did Doc not counter? They were up 26. A coach needs to know what strings to pull when players aren’t executing or preforming (like Nate did).

Just heard that Nate McMillian pushed all the right buttons. If that’s the case then how did Doc not counter? They were up 26. A coach needs to know what strings to pull when players aren’t executing or preforming (like Nate did).
Funny how that works. Shots fall and suddenly the coach is a genius.

Morey should have traded Simmons for Harden when he had his chance, Nobody on the SIxers wants the last shot. Total choke up 26 should have been 30+ if Simmons can hit a free throw. Put a fork them they are done. I would rather they go 10-72 that watch that garbage.

This team is so fragile. When all five starters are healthy they can literally beat anyone. If just one of the starters are missing it somehow throws off the entire equillibrium of the roster. I've never seen anything like it. Danny Green should be the least consequential of the starters but nope. Someone always finds a way to underperform when one of the regular starters are out. Last game Embiid goes a historic 0-12 in the 2nd half. Tonight Ben puts up a triple single and Tobi plays his worse game as a Sixer. So frustrasting

Funny how that works. Shots fall and suddenly the coach is a genius.
Your absolutely right. My point is coaches can run plays to get players into good shots and push the right buttons to get players to spark a team like Doc did with Shake in game 2. Coaches can also run D to go at players or try to stop them or run sets on offense to slow down the pace and momentum (like Doc did with Trae and Ben in game 2). It’s a chicken or the egg theory. I will say with the Sixers down 3 and 15 seconds left I have NO idea how Shake didn’t see Seth wide open on the pop out. That is 100% on the players but it shouldn’t have gotten to that point.

Problem is the Hawks figured it out. They run pick and rolls non stop and find the weak defender (Korkmaz or Seth) and attack. The Atlanta Offense isn’t hard to figure out. Pick with an athletic player…the defender plays over the pick…Trae or Lou hit the lane and if the big man doesn’t play up shoot the floater or jumper or stop short and draw the foul. If they do play up throw a lob to the rim running player setting the pick.

Has Doc figured out how to stop that?

All that being said I can totally be talked into it being the players fault. As I look at box scores I’m confused who I am more mad at

I’m in a glass box of emotions right now! I shouldn’t be posting anything. Im putting my phone down.

Please forgive all posts between 10:30-11:30!!

Reactions: bison13
From The Inquirer:

They are the only team to blow at least an 18-point lead in back-to-back playoff games in the last 25 seasons.

Joel Embiid and Seth Curry were the only Sixers to score baskets in the second half

For the game, Tobias Harris had four points while making just 2 of 11 shots. Ben Simmons finished with eight points and nine assists, but he went 4-for-14 from the foul line. He said his struggles from the foul line are “mental.”

Reactions: psu00 and Nitwit
Simmons is the most dangerous thing in sports…endless, unrealized potential. But he’s a helluva lot less valuable today than he was early in the season.
At least the endless Simmons debate is over. The people who were flogging him as some kind of generational talent have to see it now. Dude is focused on things others than basketball. There is no excuse for not not being able to shoot foul shots. None. Or 15 footers. Or lay ups at his this point. In the modern NBA, being a liability on the offensive end is something which can not be hidden.

I have never understood the either or mindset of it being coaches or players at fault. Players felt the pressure in the fourth quarter and came up small. Doc coached a terrible game last night with no adjustments defensively down the stretch and running the same offensive set with Curry over and over.

Second squad blew this game with Harris not scoring. Doc had to put back the starters way to early in the 4 th and it showed later. With Curry and Embiid only scoring they were fine and when that stopped and missed foul shots( Simmons) SMH even the guy on TV was showing him how to shoot😂. Then TOs and bad shot selection, and then their was a few possessions where they were just standing around. This Sixers team is not made for the last 3 minutes of NBA games. They have no go to guy. I think Doc made it better. No idea why Embiid was not in the post or doing the pic and roll with Curry or Harris. Never should of let JB go.

Reactions: harjeff
I have never understood the either or mindset of it being coaches or players at fault. Players felt the pressure in the fourth quarter and came up small. Doc coached a terrible game last night with no adjustments defensively down the stretch and running the same offensive set with Curry over and over.
Spot on…since I’ve had a chance to calm down and post more rational thoughts my issue with Doc is his unwillingness to deviate when it comes to his rotations. Game 1 his all bench unit got smoked even though everyone on the planet knew an all bench unit in a playoff game was a mistake. Last night his all bench unit plus one (an ice cold Tobias Harris) gave up a 15-2 run and started the comeback for Atlanta. Once that happens I feel like doubt and panic set in from giving up an 18 point lead last game. Why an all bench plus one? Why not two starters. Why not 3 and rotate bench and starters to keep fresh?

All season we kept talking about “when the playoff comes and you shorten your bench…” but Doc played 10 players last night. Same as he does during the year.

Reactions: wlawn
Spot on…since I’ve had a chance to calm down and post more rational thoughts my issue with Doc is his unwillingness to deviate when it comes to his rotations. Game 1 his all bench unit got smoked even though everyone on the planet knew an all bench unit in a playoff game was a mistake. Last night his all bench unit plus one (an ice cold Tobias Harris) gave up a 15-2 run and started the comeback for Atlanta. Once that happens I feel like doubt and panic set in from giving up an 18 point lead last game. Why an all bench plus one? Why not two starters. Why not 3 and rotate bench and starters to keep fresh?

All season we kept talking about “when the playoff comes and you shorten your bench…” but Doc played 10 players last night. Same as he does during the year.
It only works if Harris is scoring and Harris never got in rythm

At least the endless Simmons debate is over. The people who were flogging him as some kind of generational talent have to see it now. Dude is focused on things others than basketball. There is no excuse for not not being able to shoot foul shots. None. Or 15 footers. Or lay ups at his this point. In the modern NBA, being a liability on the offensive end is something which can not be hidden.
Simmons even has bad body language. Stoic, looks like he doesn't much care if they win or lose.

Lack of player leadership in general. Too many guys who disappear under game pressure.

Correct, he played the worst of all the players by far with Shake a close second. But I guarantee if Brett Brown was still coaching this team, he would have taken the brunt of the criticism for this loss. Doc was at his worst last night as well.

Reactions: psuno1
Doc got out-coached there too. Hawks realized that the way to stop Harris is to make him work on the defensive end. Every time Collins had Harris on him, he went right at him and physically bullied him. Was waiting for Rivers to figure it out and adjust. He never did.

I started to worry about this team when I saw Doc’s ridiculous press conference where a reporter asked a perfectly legitimate question about Simmon’s foul shooting and Rivers mocked him. Displayed a level of arrogance which concerned me. Saw the same arrogance last night. Doc’s plan was not working in the 4th quarter, but instead of adjusting he just kept on running the same sets.

Reactions: psuno1
Correct, he played the worst of all the players by far with Shake a close second. But I guarantee if Brett Brown was still coaching this team, he would have taken the brunt of the criticism for this loss. Doc was at his worst last night as well.

Simmons even has bad body language. Stoic, looks like he doesn't much care if they win or lose.

Lack of player leadership in general. Too many guys who disappear under game pressure.

Not sure if I see stoicism. It looks to me like cowardice. He is afraid to look bad and the result is he never does anything outside his comfort zone. Even when he dunked on a guy last night, he didn’t have the stones to look the guy in the eye and say anything. He just yelled at his back and jogged away. If you are going to “send a message”, then do it and take the T. He even talks trash weakly.

Not an unusual substitution pattern.

Unfortunately, it highlighted how the Atlanta bench was superior to the Sixers subs. Atlanta's non-starters scored 39 points to 13 for the Sixers non-starters.

For that matter, the Sixers got very little offense other than Embiid and Seth Curry; no one else in double figures.

I’m also thinking making foul shots should be of greater importance when drafting and freecagenting
never again get guys who can’t hit 70%

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT