ADVERTISEMENT

Thon 2024 starts today at 6:00 PM!

I danced in 1986, fun time!
Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

Thanks for posting the link to the live stream! Wow!!! Great event and cause.......thanks to all the participants and donors. This is quite a spectacular...all those people, illuminated signs, etc.

As a previous poster alluded to, when I was at Penn State UP from 1982-1986, I think Thon was held at the HUB. Never made it over there to witness it, but I sponsored a few fellow students. It has obviously grown way beyond those humble beginnings.

A couple questions, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but are the people in the stands considered dancers or are they fans cheering on the dancers? And what are the rules for "dancing". Seems like most of folks on the main floor are standing and not dancing or moving that much. Are there rules about moving and bathroom breaks? Seem to remember fellow student who participated back in the day saying they always had to be moving (even if just a shuffle) and bathroom breaks were limited.

Thanks for posting the link to the live stream! Wow!!! Great event and cause.......thanks to all the participants and donors. This is quite a spectacular...all those people, illuminated signs, etc.

As a previous poster alluded to, when I was at Penn State UP from 1982-1986, I think Thon was held at the HUB. Never made it over there to witness it, but I sponsored a few fellow students. It has obviously grown way beyond those humble beginnings.

A couple questions, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but are the people in the stands considered dancers or are they fans cheering on the dancers? And what are the rules for "dancing". Seems like most of folks on the main floor are standing and not dancing or moving that much. Are there rules about moving and bathroom breaks? Seem to remember fellow student who participated back in the day saying they always had to be moving (even if just a shuffle) and bathroom breaks were limited.
In 86 it was in the White Building Gym, you had to move, at least shuffle, even when eating. We were allowed a bathroom break every so many hours, don’t remember how many. We were lined up in groups and would run to the bathroom because as soon as you were done and could get back you could lay down while about 4 people massaged your back and legs, until the next group would come back from their break. Those were the only time you didnt have to move. I think you also were allowed 1 or 2 bathroom breaks you could take outside of the group bathroom breaks.
Also the dancers were seperate from the fans in the stage, you could stand (sway, shuffle) at the edge and talk to friends not dancing.
The best times were when they brought out the kids, a sure shot of adrenaline.

Reactions: hlstone and mhlarch
In 86 it was in the White Building Gym, you had to move, at least shuffle, even when eating. We were allowed a bathroom break every so many hours, don’t remember how many. We were lined up in groups and would run to the bathroom because as soon as you were done and could get back you could lay down while about 4 people massaged your back and legs, until the next group would come back from their break. Those were the only time you didnt have to move. I think you also were allowed 1 or 2 bathroom breaks you could take outside of the group bathroom breaks.
Also the dancers were seperate from the fans in the stage, you could stand (sway, shuffle) at the edge and talk to friends not dancing.
The best times were when they brought out the kids, a sure shot of adrenaline.
Aww, yes, I seem to remember it at the White Building Gym too now that you mention it. Thanks for clarifying the guidelines, at least back in the day. Maybe it's grown too large to even try to moderate all that. Still, major kudos to the dancers. Being on your feet and awake for 46 hours is quite an accomplishment and all for a wonderful cause. And you're right, watching the highlights thru the years, it's always when they bring the kids out that the energy goes thru the roof! Also always love when the various coaches and star athletes are addressing the dancers. Definitely a Penn State tradition to be proud of.

Aww, yes, I seem to remember it at the White Building Gym too now that you mention it. Thanks for clarifying the guidelines, at least back in the day. Maybe it's grown too large to even try to moderate all that. Still, major kudos to the dancers. Being on your feet and awake for 46 hours is quite an accomplishment and all for a wonderful cause. And you're right, watching the highlights thru the years, it's always when they bring the kids out that the energy goes thru the roof! Also always love when the various coaches and star athletes are addressing the dancers. Definitely a Penn State tradition to be proud of.
I remember some halucinations, at one point I thought there was a giant glass cube taking up about half of the gym, if I wanted to get across the floor I had to walk around the edge of the cube. I also thought there were holes in the floor to walk around.
They also had these trash cans of ice water, we could take our shoes off and stick our legs down in them, heaven!! Plus the massages after the bathroom breaks, never long enough and you hated seeing the people come down the hall because it meant getting back up….

Reactions: mhlarch
I remember some halucinations, at one point I thought there was a giant glass cube taking up about half of the gym, if I wanted to get across the floor I had to walk around the edge of the cube. I also thought there were holes in the floor to walk around.
They also had these trash cans of ice water, we could take our shoes off and stick our legs down in them, heaven!! Plus the massages after the bathroom breaks, never long enough and you hated seeing the people come down the hall because it meant getting back up….
Tripping Hell Yeah GIF by PeacockTV

Reactions: aalion
Thank you! She just got her picture in PennLive as well.

The scene at BJC is simply unreal.

Reactions: mhlarch
Been watching the live stream....really appreciating the PSU spirit. Coach Franklin, Pat Kraft, emcees coach Char (retired FH coach) and Hack.......then many athletic teams performing.......and the best of all.....David Taylor with his cute daughter!

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT