ADVERTISEMENT

2019 NCAAs -- Session 1 Thread

No - actually you make no sense. Upper body is part of the game. Parris ran away from it. Wrestling is about imposing your will against another's. Stoll's won. Is it fun/exciting wrestling to watch, absolutely not. But to rip on him for what he is doing, that is within the rules, is patently stupid.

It's not just the Iowa program that is stuck in the past. Hawk fans are willing enablers.

Have you been watching PSU or tOSU wrestle the last several years. I would think even an Iowa fan might have noticed there's more to wrestling than upper-body.

Reactions: lionlover
Stoll won the match. If you are a smaller heavyweight you need to find ways to not be pushed all over the mat. Stoll would win big in freestyle. In fact, Parris probably gets cautioned out.

I'm anything but a Stoll fan, but I fully understand why Iowa fans would be happy for him after his miserable season. I think we should cut him and his fans some slack!
If the officials scored it the way the rules are written Stoll would have lost on penalty points because he forced Parris off the mat every time. Parris wasn't fleeing the mat as asserted, but that is a matter of perspective which seems to appear differently to those whose homes (or hearts) are in Iowa.

How does 21 first round points compare to previous years?

2019 vs 2018
Round%201%20comparison.png

Last year we advanced 7 of 9
Session 1 scores
1. Iowa - 18.5
2. Ohio State - 17
3. PSU - 16
4. Michigan - 13
5. NC State - 12
6. ASU - 9
7. Rutgers - 8.5
8. Cornell - 8
8. Lehigh - 8
10. Minny - 7
10. Ok. St. - 7
10. Wisconsin - 7

2017 Session 1 Scores
1. PENN STATE - 16.0 (8)
2. Oklahoma State - 15.0 (9)
3. Ohio State - 14.0 (7)
4. Iowa - 12.0 (7)
Lehigh - 12.0
6. Missouri - 12.0 (6)

Not your question exactly, but it’s .5 ahead of Iowa’s 170 point team after their first round according to regularfan.
Just an FYI, I did not see that tournament. I would have been 10, but after reading A Season on the Mat(the book about Gables last year), I believe that team went on an unbelievable tear in the quarters/backside on. Their first and second round they took some losses. Hand lost in the first and wrestled back to R12. Ersland went down round 2 and wrestled back to R12. Gillis and Uker went down round 2 and finished 6th and 5th. The rest were in the finals. Just a little context for comparison for you PSU fans.

Reactions: Dogwelder
No - actually you make no sense. Upper body is part of the game. Parris ran away from it. Wrestling is about imposing your will against another's. Stoll's won. Is it fun/exciting wrestling to watch, absolutely not. But to rip on him for what he is doing, that is within the rules, is patently stupid.

At no point did Stoll want to go upper body, that would imply he actually wanted to score points with that move. His sole intent was to tie up a smaller guy and carry him out of bounds for a stall call. I get it, that's wrestling in Iowa, however, nobody outside of Black and Gold glasses enjoyed any part of that match. Go back to the asylum where your takes will be overshadowed and not seem so dumb comparatively.

Based on this video, who do you think watches tape vs. not on the team.

Nolf is a definite no. Everyone else I could see it either way.

Roar might have more insight into that, though I'm not sure if he would answer the question.

CS acknowledges that they (the staff( watch tape, but gives the impression that Cody and Casey are far more into that than is he. Perhaps he's being honest. Or, perhaps he's indicating that they do a lot of the research and analysis, and somewhat minimizing his role. While he gives the appearance of being very relaxed, I get the sense that he doesn't like to leave a lot to chance.

As for the wrestlers, I would be surprised if any of them don't watch video of their upcoming opponents. NCAAs. They frequently wrestle guys at Nationals that they've never wrestled, or never seen. Jason has amazing talent, and probably could beat most guys even if he didn't know a thing about their strengths and weaknesses. That said, I think he looks at video, and has a sense of his opponent's favorite moves, as well as their apparent weaknesses. That's just my guess -- I could be mistaken.

Might be the worst display of "wrestling" I've ever seen and the Iowa crowd is going nuts. How many hours a day does Iowa work on "no intention of shooting while pushing people out of bounds"? No way should that kind of tactic be rewarded by the rule book let alone celebrated by the coaches/fans. Embarrassed for them.

Same tactic that AD used against RBY last time they wrestled.

Reactions: pawrest01
According to Byers, the challenge should have been a stone cold lock.
yep-can see it being missed in the heat of the action, but to miss it on review too was really inexcusable. I am usually a pretty calm kind of guy, but that one had me yelling at the computer-in my office-with a customer there. :(

Reactions: danoftw
Stoll won the match. If you are a smaller heavyweight you need to find ways to not be pushed all over the mat. Stoll would win big in freestyle. In fact, Parris probably gets cautioned out.

I'm anything but a Stoll fan, but I fully understand why Iowa fans would be happy for him after his miserable season. I think we should cut him and his fans some slack!
The thing is, if a PSU wrestler, or any non-Iowa wrestler wrestled like that, the HR would be bashing him on 3 separate threads. But if you wrestle for Iowa, it's good, tough wrestling. It's beyond ridiculous.

Just an FYI, I did not see that tournament. I would have been 10, but after reading A Season on the Mat(the book about Gables last year), I believe that team went on an unbelievable tear in the quarters/backside on. Their first and second round they took some losses. Hand lost in the first and wrestled back to R12. Ersland went down round 2 and wrestled back to R12. Gillis and Uker went down round 2 and finished 6th and 5th. The rest were in the finals. Just a little context for comparison for you PSU fans.

Yea, Penn State’s never had 5 reach the Finals /s

I wasn't talking smack. Why are you?

Idk, but I was actually very surprised when regularfan posted Iowa’s results that year and how many lower seeds did well. I would have figured they just had like 8 top 3 seeds and bonuses from there.

Idk, but I was actually very surprised when regularfan posted Iowa’s results that year and how many lower seeds did well. I would have figured they just had like 8 top 3 seeds and bonuses from there.
Yeah, they met or exceeded every seed, plus I don't think it was a forgone conclusion that they were going to win going in but ended up beating Okie St. by over 50.

I have already acknowledged that upper body is a part of the sport lol. But why would Parris want to go upperbody if thats not his forte and his style...thats like putting a sushi chef in a dessert battle with bakers.....it makes no sense. i understand iowa has 23 ncaa team championships and they are gods gift to the wrestling world and you are right and all of us penn state fans are wrong

... Jason has amazing talent, and ... I think he looks at video, and has a sense of his opponent's favorite moves, as well as their apparent weaknesses. That's just my guess -- I could be mistaken.
Jason has watched video on ankle bands, both red and green. He has determined that the way to defeat ankle bands is to arrange and stack them. "Arrange and stack" in fact is Jason's wrestling mantra. I think he has that mantra tattooed under his sock. :) #insideinfo

Last edited:
Yeah, they met or exceeded every seed, plus I don't think it was a forgone conclusion that they were going to win going in but ended up beating Okie St. by over 50.

Were they using Sumo rules back then? You push a guy off the mat and get points for it?

I’ve been hoping for some media talking head to properly refer to Cassar as a “phenom.” I guess it’s not as phonetically pleasing as saying “freshman phenom.” Plus you’ve got Steveson as deserving of that moniker. But man, there’s no denying that AC came out of nowhere this year to burst on the HWY scene as a title contender. Few would’ve guessed this time last year that this was in the realm of possibility for the Raptor. Perhaps a fitting descriptor is “senior sensation.” He has made HWY fun to watch again for me!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT