ADVERTISEMENT

2018 NCAAs -- Session 1 Thread

Keep all 7 alive in the championship bracket tonight (think that happens) and hope Lee and Keener give us something bottom side. Need to be at full strength for separation day tomorrow.

Bucks are clear favorites in 9 matches tonight.

Iowa will probably loose 3 and back down to 2-4th. How good did they wrestle today!

We could loose 1-2 pretty easily tonight, maybe even 3.

Tomorrow morning gets tougher for the Bucks but a couple upsets happened that makes their path look easier at this point.

How do you see us losing 1-2 easily and maybe even 3?!?! All 7 in the championship round are solid favorites. I’d be surprised if any of them lost.

For Comparison -- 2017 PSU Same points after Session 1
2017 NCAA Championships Standings after Session I - (Round Two Participants)
1 - PENN STATE - 16.0 (8)
2 - Oklahoma State - 15.0 (9)
3 - Ohio State - 14.0 (7)
4- Iowa - 12.0 (7)
Lehigh - 12.0
(5) Missouri - 12.0 (6)

PSU may very well get more bonus in R2 than they did in R1. We're good. Lee beating Alber sure would be nice though. I think Nick is gonna go on a run through the consis.

Compared to last year, Iowa upped their game by 6.5 pts with one more wrestler advancing. OSU at +3 pts but 3 more wrestlers advancing and PSU the same but with one less wrestler moving on in the Championship brackets.

FYI, PSU only got 4.5 points from 125-141, last year. OSU got 19.5! PSU won 149-285 by 51.5...

Reactions: caelschin
How do you see us losing 1-2 easily and maybe even 3?!?! All 7 in the championship round are solid favorites. I’d be surprised if any of them lost.
well, Keener and Lee both have a good possibility of losing.
I am guessing the other loss he was thinking could be Shak

Compared to last year, Iowa upped their game by 6.5 pts with one more wrestler advancing. OSU at +3 pts but 3 more wrestlers advancing and PSU the same but with one less wrestler moving on in the Championship brackets.

FYI, PSU only got 4.5 points from 125-141, last year. OSU got 19.5! PSU won 149-285 by 51.5...

Interesting info, but pretty much totally irrelevant for 2018. For one, tOSU is very likely to get a LOT more than 19.5 from 125-141. Also, the huge difference from 149-285 is very likely gonna shrink ...

I think I am more angry about Amine handing Hayes the match with stupidity in the top position than I am about Lee getting caught. The one thing that has scared me about Lee is the strength situation, as in he's got less of it than seemingly everyone he wrestles. Whether his season ends tonight, or hopefully Saturday, I hope he spends the entire offseason holed up in the weight room.

It’s a great point about Lee. I remember Retherford looking the same way his freshman year and then after he redshirted, transformed his body. Hopefully he can replicate Zain in the weight room.

We could loose 1-2 pretty easily tonight, maybe even 3.

I'm not as pessimistic as Brett seems to be. Tim's article is a nice look at the matchups.

133: Keener in Consolations faces Cameron Sykora (N. Dakota St.). Keener is tough to predict, and Sykora is not someone I've seen too often. Sykora seems to have lost to all the elite guys he's faced. His results against better guys is so-so. If Keener stays aggressive, avoids giving up an early TD, and is proficient at getting off from bottom, he should win. That's a lot of IFs. I'd call this match a toss-up

141: Nick Lee in Consolations faces Jose Alber (Northern Iowa). Alber is the #9 seed, so this a tough match. They faced each other in the semis of the Scuffle, with pinning Alber. I expect a close match (it was close in the Scuffle before the 3rd-period pin), but Nick should be the favorite

149: ZPain

157: Nolf ... I'm tempted to leave it with that, but Nolf wasn't quite the overwhelming force we're used to in his R1 match, at least early on. Two times he ended up scoring a TD and NFs when he used a scissors lock from what appeared to be a bad position for him. You're not even trying a scissors lock if you're worried about your knee.

165: Cenzo faces Branson Ashworth (Wyoming), who he majored in last year's NCAAs. Not much to worry about here

174: Mark Hall faces Dylan Lydy (Purdue). He majored Lydy in January

184: Bo Nickal

197: Rasheed faces Daniel Chaid (UNC). Rasheed is a bit of a puzzle, but he should win this match

285: Nevills vs. Michael Boykin (NC State). The faced each other the Scuffle, with Boykin winning 4-3. That was during the stretch where Nick lost a few matches, and didn't seem all that agile. He's looked better of late, and should be favored tonight

Keener is questionable. Lee and Nevills have tough matches, but will be favored. I'd be beyond surprised if PSU lost all 3.

Fu*kin Suriano!! If he stayed, we would easily be in the driver's seat now. I hope he gets upset tonight!

Thanks for the PBP today guys. I was busy at work but was able to check in and see how things were going. Much appreciated.

The Bucks had so many close calls today it wasn't even funny. I was amazed that at least one of Pletcher, Hayes, Campbell, Jordan or Moore didn't get upset. You had high seeds like Lavalee bite the dust, yet somehow all these guys survived to wrestle another round.

I'm not as pessimistic as Brett seems to be. Tim's article is a nice look at the matchups.

133: Keener in Consolations faces Cameron Sykora (N. Dakota St.). Keener is tough to predict, and Sykora is not someone I've seen too often. Sykora seems to have lost to all the elite guys he's faced. His results against better guys is so-so. If Keener stays aggressive, avoids giving up an early TD, and is proficient at getting off from bottom, he should win. That's a lot of IFs. I'd call this match a toss-up

141: Nick Lee in Consolations faces Jose Alber (Northern Iowa). Alber is the #9 seed, so this a tough match. They faced each other in the semis of the Scuffle, with pinning Alber. I expect a close match (it was close in the Scuffle before the 3rd-period pin), but Nick should be the favorite

149: ZPain

157: Nolf ... I'm tempted to leave it with that, but Nolf wasn't quite the overwhelming force we're used to in his R1 match, at least early on. Two times he ended up scoring a TD and NFs when he used a scissors lock from what appeared to be a bad position for him. You're not even trying a scissors lock if you're worried about your knee.

165: Cenzo faces Branson Ashworth (Wyoming), who he majored in last year's NCAAs. Not much to worry about here

174: Mark Hall faces Dylan Lydy (Purdue). He majored Lydy in January

184: Bo Nickal

197: Rasheed faces Daniel Chaid (UNC). Rasheed is a bit of a puzzle, but he should win this match

285: Nevills vs. Michael Boykin (NC State). The faced each other the Scuffle, with Boykin winning 4-3. That was during the stretch where Nick lost a few matches, and didn't seem all that agile. He's looked better of late, and should be favored tonight

Keener is questionable. Lee and Nevills have tough matches, but will be favored. I'd be beyond surprised if PSU lost all 3.

In Nevills interview this week he said he’s down 20 lbs from 275 to 255.

Totally agree. Nick has only 2 primary problems which if he corrects he will be a stud, if not he will be a low AA vs this level of competition. #1 Strength - he is physically weaker than virtually everyone at the AA level and it shows. He gets stuck underuneath and better not go upper body too much in college even Cenzo had had to learn that lesson. #2 Wrecklessness -- chalk this up to being a freshman, he gives up sloppy points, his neutral defense is too loose allowing to many guys to get to his legs. There were folks on this board insisting he was top 4 or better before we pulled his shirt. We're all disappointed that he hasn't peaked late, let's hope he suprises in Wrestlebacks, builds up over the summer and comes back a full year better.

Reactions: DC89
He should have lost to Amine and has serious gas tank problems.

Yeah, I get it. He should have lost to Amine but managed to get a reversal as time expired to win it. Partly bad on the part of Amine, but some credit goes to Hayes. Also had two TDs against Retherford in the dual meet. He has some talent and seems to find a way to win a bunch of close matches.

Plus, he doesn't have a brutal draw at NCAAs. Not saying he's a lock to AA, but I wouldn't dismiss his chances, either. Hopefully you're right, but we'll see.

In any case, I dislike his style - too much non-action and "controlled stalling".

Yeah, I get it. He should have lost to Amine but managed to get a reversal as time expired to win it. Partly bad on the part of Amine, but some credit goes to Hayes. Also had two TDs against Retherford in the dual meet. He has some talent and seems to find a way to win a bunch of close matches.

Plus, he doesn't have a brutal draw at NCAAs. Not saying he's a lock to AA, but I wouldn't dismiss his chances, either. Hopefully you're right, but we'll see.

In any case, I dislike his style - too much non-action and "controlled stalling".

Hayes has become one of my least favorite. Does nothing. Takes forever to get back to the center. He’d drive me nuts if I had to pull for him

Totally agree. Nick has only 2 primary problems which if he corrects he will be a stud, if not he will be a low AA vs this level of competition. #1 Strength - he is physically weaker than virtually everyone at the AA level and it shows. He gets stuck underuneath and better not go upper body too much in college even Cenzo had had to learn that lesson. #2 Wrecklessness -- chalk this up to being a freshman, he gives up sloppy points, his neutral defense is too loose allowing to many guys to get to his legs. There were folks on this board insisting he was top 4 or better before we pulled his shirt. We're all disappointed that he hasn't peaked late, let's hope he suprises in Wrestlebacks, builds up over the summer and comes back a full year better.

Mostly agree, though I might use "carelessness" instead of "recklessness". Either way, Lee has too often allowed easy/sloppy points. And that has been a bigger problem than lack of strength, IMO.

Start printing those shirts. I understand there are kids in Africa needing new clothes
Maybe I can get my new favorite team to give you one:
f9237471b49242be0cee8e094df0ee13.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT