ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Preseason Practice Articles/Discussion

Penn State OT Gellerstedt on the rise
Penn State offensive lineman Alex Gellerstedt has come a long way since arriving on campus in January 2016

Penn State offensive lineman Alex Gellerstedt has come a long way since arriving on campus in January 2016. The Ohio native was the least built-up of the Nittany Lions’ ballyhooed offensive line Class of 2016, which featured a pair of All-Americans in Connor McGovern and Michal Menet and potential early contributor Will Fries.

(Photo: Sean Fitz, 247Sports)

Gellerstedt wasn’t even two years removed from his first snaps as an offensive lineman, having started the recruiting process as a defensive end. Still, the Nittany Lions saw a great frame, a solid athletic base and a player they could bring along slowly at offensive tackle.

One redshirt year and 30 pounds later, offensive line coach Matt Limegrover has him moving quickly up the two-deep.

“Right now I’m at about 305, I’ve been up to 310 but I’ve gotten to the point where I weigh enough to do what I need to do on the field,” explained Gellerstedt. “It’s just a matter of adding strength throughout your career, the specific weight isn’t the concern anymore.

“When I got on campus I was a pretty inexperienced offensive lineman. I only played it for two years in high school and I’ve been really working with coach Limegrover and [offensive line Graduate Assistant Sean] Cascarano, they’ve helped a lot with my development. It’s been a slower process than I would have liked, but they’re doing a really good job of bringing me around.”

Gellerstedt was admittedly behind his classmates during his first season. He enrolled early and watched McGovern move up to a starting role in his first year while Gellerstedt split time on the scout team. By the following spring, the 6-foot-7-inch freshman started picking up on some of the natural tendencies that he lacked and improved his play as a run blocker.

He also went to the tape to work on his positioning and leverage points.

“A lot of it was the natural offensive line things that guys come in with that I didn’t necessarily have,” he said. “It’s not that it was a slow process, but I started behind some of the guys that I came in here with.

“You just have to think about your own process, how a guy like Connor, Mike or Will is progressing doesn’t really or can’t have anything to do with mine. They’ve been great to work with, it’s great to have guys like that in my class and guys around me that can push me.”

Gellerstedt was one of the pleasant surprises of the early part of camp and seen his reps increase at right tackle. He hopes to take another step forward this fall and compete for a starting job sooner rather than later.

“It’s probably mostly technique, working on that and knowing my assignments. Just general things like that, getting a little bit better each day because everything needs work,” he said. “I think everybody wants to take that next step, so fall camp is the time to get excited. We’ll see what happens.”

Penn State opens against Akron on Sept. 2 at noon in Beaver Stadium.

Author
Sean Fitz @seanfitz247

Penn State OT Gellerstedt on the rise
Penn State offensive lineman Alex Gellerstedt has come a long way since arriving on campus in January 2016

Penn State offensive lineman Alex Gellerstedt has come a long way since arriving on campus in January 2016. The Ohio native was the least built-up of the Nittany Lions’ ballyhooed offensive line Class of 2016, which featured a pair of All-Americans in Connor McGovern and Michal Menet and potential early contributor Will Fries.

(Photo: Sean Fitz, 247Sports)

Gellerstedt wasn’t even two years removed from his first snaps as an offensive lineman, having started the recruiting process as a defensive end. Still, the Nittany Lions saw a great frame, a solid athletic base and a player they could bring along slowly at offensive tackle.

One redshirt year and 30 pounds later, offensive line coach Matt Limegrover has him moving quickly up the two-deep.

“Right now I’m at about 305, I’ve been up to 310 but I’ve gotten to the point where I weigh enough to do what I need to do on the field,” explained Gellerstedt. “It’s just a matter of adding strength throughout your career, the specific weight isn’t the concern anymore.

“When I got on campus I was a pretty inexperienced offensive lineman. I only played it for two years in high school and I’ve been really working with coach Limegrover and [offensive line Graduate Assistant Sean] Cascarano, they’ve helped a lot with my development. It’s been a slower process than I would have liked, but they’re doing a really good job of bringing me around.”

Gellerstedt was admittedly behind his classmates during his first season. He enrolled early and watched McGovern move up to a starting role in his first year while Gellerstedt split time on the scout team. By the following spring, the 6-foot-7-inch freshman started picking up on some of the natural tendencies that he lacked and improved his play as a run blocker.

He also went to the tape to work on his positioning and leverage points.

“A lot of it was the natural offensive line things that guys come in with that I didn’t necessarily have,” he said. “It’s not that it was a slow process, but I started behind some of the guys that I came in here with.

“You just have to think about your own process, how a guy like Connor, Mike or Will is progressing doesn’t really or can’t have anything to do with mine. They’ve been great to work with, it’s great to have guys like that in my class and guys around me that can push me.”

Gellerstedt was one of the pleasant surprises of the early part of camp and seen his reps increase at right tackle. He hopes to take another step forward this fall and compete for a starting job sooner rather than later.

“It’s probably mostly technique, working on that and knowing my assignments. Just general things like that, getting a little bit better each day because everything needs work,” he said. “I think everybody wants to take that next step, so fall camp is the time to get excited. We’ll see what happens.”

Penn State opens against Akron on Sept. 2 at noon in Beaver Stadium.

Author
Sean Fitz @seanfitz247
Very nice.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Other interesting info....

44 Brailyn Franklin LB FR/FR 6-2/204 - Word was that he looked pretty big compared to his listed weight. Definite redshirt.....

36 Jan Johnson LB JR/SO 6-2/234 - Was light last year due to Wrestling training as a freshman. Nice to see him at MLB weight. Good to have more depth there.

50 Max Chizmar LB FR/FR 6-2/221 - Legacy walk on. Nice initial size....

13 Ellis Brooks LB FR/FR 6-1/235 - Word was he lost some weight from his high school listing, but looks to have put it back on....

51 Alex Gellerstedt OL SO/FR 6-6/304
71 Will Fries OL SO/FR 6-6/305
Good OT size after a full year in the S&C program. Which one will see the field first?????

As others have noted, those that will make up the starting OL are HUGE! This is looking like a Wisky OL, except more athletic!!!

Nice post!

Reactions: GregInPitt
He didn't have a ton of carries and also had too many fumbles, but definitely showed a flash. I think you'll see a much more explosive year from Sanders. Our S&C program is really top notch.

I think a lot of people also overlook Coach Huff's value as a RB coach. He seems to really emphasize ball security (of course, I'm sure they all do), and it seems to be a part of nearly every drill they do. That can only help Sanders for the future.

Marcus Allen named fourth best DB in CFB by NFL.com. Could be a second round guy or better if he has another good year.

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Arti...llen-dubbed-nations-No-4-defensive--106433403
Good for him, and he's definitely a key guy for this PSU defense.

I'm a little surprised the pros like him so much:
He doesn't have a great 40 time
Didn't have a great year against the pass -- no INTs and just a few break-ups

Good against the run, good tackler, tough, leader -- yes, for sure.

Reactions: psu2016
This is my shocked face.

wuk8c5A.gif

Looking forward to seeing Herbie go on the attack when we are near a playoff spot again.

ESPN/ABC college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit is unveiling his annual "Herbie Award" winners on an ESPN special Wednesday night, but ahead of the show he revealed his picks for this season's college football playoff.

Herbstreit believes Alabama, Ohio State, USC and Florida State will make the four-team playoff, and he has the Buckeyes beating the Crimson Tide in the national championship game.

"Even though they are meeting in Week 1, I have both Alabama and Florida State in my College Football Playoff," Herbstreit said in a conference call on Wednesday afternoon.

Not sure why any PSU fans should or would care what anyone from ESPN thinks....

We heard that during spring practice, but JJ never seemed to show this during the blue white game... I'm hoping he has a huge coming out party this fall!

What are you talking about. He had 7 catches for 81 yards and a TD. What exactly were you expecting?

Reactions: NJPSU
We heard that during spring practice, but JJ never seemed to show this during the blue white game... I'm hoping he has a huge coming out party this fall!
yeah, was at the blue white game, and that was my impression, too
didn't see him fight for the ball or come back to the pass the same way that Godwin did....but just a small sample, and the coaches are there to see him every day
he certainly looks the part of a dominant receiver
**note to acknowledge KnightSlayer's point above....JJ did have the catches

What are you talking about. He had 7 catches for 81 yards and a TD. What exactly were you expecting?

**note to acknowledge KnightSlayer's point above....JJ did have the catches

I didn't mean that JJ had a bad game, but he didn't make the statement that I was expecting. Maybe it's one of those things where he's so smooth and athletic that it doesn't look like he's doing anything extraordinary. From my memory, I would not have guessed that he had more than 3 or 4 caches and certainly not more than 50 yards.

Gattis also said something along the lines of Johnson was currently practicing at a level they have never seen before from any receiver.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Looking forward to seeing Herbie go on the attack when we are near a playoff spot again.

ESPN/ABC college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit is unveiling his annual "Herbie Award" winners on an ESPN special Wednesday night, but ahead of the show he revealed his picks for this season's college football playoff.

Herbstreit believes Alabama, Ohio State, USC and Florida State will make the four-team playoff, and he has the Buckeyes beating the Crimson Tide in the national championship game.

"Even though they are meeting in Week 1, I have both Alabama and Florida State in my College Football Playoff," Herbstreit said in a conference call on Wednesday afternoon.

That's right. The same Kirk Herbstreit who ripped Penn State's student section with Desmond Howard just named PSU the best student section in college football. We see right through you, Kirk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT