ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Preseason Practice Articles/Discussion

Wade will probably be the starting nickel and TCF looks like he'll be 2nd string CB. I dont think it's out of line to say they have the potential to be the best corners we've ever had here. Now, they have to go out and do it. But they are crushing it so far.

I haven't heard anything about Wade this summer. I know he's awesome, but it sounds like TQF has taken all of the spotlight.

Huge OL! As big as any I can remember at PSU. It's Wisconsin like. I also read that Gonzo and Wright are paired together. The right side is bigger than most NFL lines. Barkley must just be salivating...

Reactions: Ranger Dan

Jump ahead to 3:20 in the video below to hear directly from Coach Gattis on JJ

Training Camp: Wednesday Media (Josh Gattis)

Worth a listen. Gattis on Juwan Johnson. Better than Chris Godwin, he's saying. He did have offers from Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc.

"Juwan is going to have an unbelievable year. He's playing at an extremely high level. Probably, or possibly could be the highest level we've ever had here right now in practice. It would not shock me if he went out and just dominated this whole year, which he will. That's not a shock."

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Huge OL! As big as any I can remember at PSU. It's Wisconsin like. I also read that Gonzo and Wright are paired together. The right side is bigger than most NFL lines. Barkley must just be salivating...
Here's a thought....with this OL averaging somewhere around 325-330 per man, how far back in PSU history do we have to go to find a starting OL that averaged 100 pounds less per man?

I'm thinking some very good PSU teams of the late 1960's may have had that lesser size.....within the memory of many of us....kind of remarkable to see that degree of change in the size of the players.

Remember, Phil Steele evaluated this team and felt essentially this is a squad without a significant weakness. If what we are hearing about JJ is true, that he is dominating at WR and that he must be accounted for by defenses, and if the team already has an obvious mismatch in #26, and can present match-up problems at TE, and has a QB that can assault in run and pass, then I feel this team is continuing to be undervalued in its national perception. We could all be sitting on a powder keg of explosiveness and simply not be fully aware of what this team can achieve.

Remember, Phil Steele evaluated this team and felt essentially this is a squad without a significant weakness. If what we are hearing about JJ is true, that he is dominating at WR and that he must be accounted for by defenses, and if the team already has an obvious mismatch in #26, and can present match-up problems at TE, and has a QB that can assault in run and pass, then I feel this team is continuing to be undervalued in its national perception. We could all be sitting on a powder keg of explosiveness and simply not be fully aware of what this team can achieve.

All of the finesse pieces are there. What has been missing is converting short yardage, not allowing negative yardage plays on running downs. Again, we were bottom ten in the NCAA in stuff rate. Instead of a 280 pound converted DT at center, we now have a 315 pound mauler. Gonzo is 341 and the strongest guy on the team (38 reps at 225) at one guard spot. Mahon at the other guard was PFF's OT of the week twice last year. Wright is a returning starter and 6'7" 358. You need to be able to grind teams into the dirt. If you can get this offense more efficient, avoid being behind the chains, then you're looking at putting up 50 points a game like the '94 team did.

Here's a thought....with this OL averaging somewhere around 325-330 per man, how far back in PSU history do we have to go to find a starting OL that averaged 100 pounds less per man?

I'm thinking some very good PSU teams of the late 1960's may have had that lesser size.....within the memory of many of us....kind of remarkable to see that degree of change in the size of the players.
well a quick review has the 1969 team OL at 229#
LT Tom Jackson 230
LG Bob Holuba 214 (btw must have been a great player, didn't they name a Hall after him?)
C Warren Koegel 242
RG Charlie Zapiec 221
RT Vic Surma 238 (IIRC changed his first name to Judas?, no that was his back-up,)
1145/5 = 229

Reactions: royboy
All of the finesse pieces are there. What has been missing is converting short yardage, not allowing negative yardage plays on running downs. Again, we were bottom ten in the NCAA in stuff rate. Instead of a 280 pound converted DT at center, we now have a 315 pound mauler. Gonzo is 341 and the strongest guy on the team (38 reps at 225) at one guard spot. Mahon at the other guard was PFF's OT of the week twice last year. Wright is a returning starter and 6'7" 358. You need to be able to grind teams into the dirt. If you can get this offense more efficient, avoid being behind the chains, then you're looking at putting up 50 points a game like the '94 team did.

It's this kind of thinking that's giving me the warm fuzzies. It is my belief that the Oline goes from being a weakness the past 3 years to being a strength. With that, my prediction of the offense this year is...Look the f%#k out. We'll know soon enough. I think we put up 50+ on Akron and, that's not me taking a dig at Akron.

This is all hypothetical because I don't know the actual starters. If we get up big and pull the starters, you go from Barkley to Robinson and Sanders. McSorley to Stevens, J.Johnson to Thompkins, Blacknall to Charles, Hamilton to Polk etc. All across the offense we have quality depth. I really think this team can average north of 40 points a game. After getting snubbed for the playoffs last year,I don't think Franklin is going to show much mercy on the field. Penn State will definitely pass the all important eye test this year.

We can only hope so LionHearted!

It's this kind of thinking that's giving me the warm fuzzies. It is my belief that the Oline goes from being a weakness the past 3 years to being a strength. With that, my prediction of the offense this year is...Look the f%#k out. We'll know soon enough. I think we put up 50+ on Akron and, that's not me taking a dig at Akron.

This is all hypothetical because I don't know the actual starters. If we get up big and pull the starters, you go from Barkley to Robinson and Sanders. McSorley to Stevens, J.Johnson to Thompkins, Blacknall to Charles, Hamilton to Polk etc. All across the offense we have quality depth. I really think this team can average north of 40 points a game. After getting snubbed for the playoffs last year,I don't think Franklin is going to show much mercy on the field. Penn State will definitely pass the all important eye test this year.
Guys, with a bunch of you seeing the optimisim I have, I really want to tell you what I did... even though I said to myself I wasn't going to tell the board until later this year.

Was a powder keg last year, just only in the second half.

I haven't heard anything about Wade this summer. I know he's awesome, but it sounds like TQF has taken all of the spotlight.

From TOS after watching wed practice, there is a good chance wade is the starting nickel back. TCF will likely start the season as 2nd string corner. I think both have been very impressive from all reports.

Guys, with a bunch of you seeing the optimisim I have, I really want to tell you what I did... even though I said to myself I wasn't going to tell the board until later this year.

And?

giphy.gif

Reactions: artsandletters
Sorry if this has already been discussed. How is Menet doing in practice?

I have not seen any specific comments from Limegrover or CJF regarding Menet, but when the leading candidates to start have been reviewed recently by CJF, Menet's name was not mentioned. Until we see direct news on Menet, the only conclusion I can make is that he is competing for a spot on the 2nd team at Guard and possibly Center. I believe we have heard that Simpson actually beat out Laurent for the backup Center spot at the end of last year and Simpson has reportedly continued to improve at that position.

I also believe that it was reported that Menet has missed some practice in Fall camp due to injuries, which could be the reason he has not seemed to challenge significantly for a starting OL position. But it would be hard for him to move ahead of the group now mentioned as in competition for starting positions (Mahon, Nelson, McGovern, Gonzalez, Wright, Bates) as all who have been mentioned have starting experience and have also continued to improve.

So it looks like Menet is competing for a spot on the 2nd team, along with Fries, Gellerstedt, Simpson, Miranda, Jenkins, and possibly Thorpe.

Last edited:
Penn State Football's Biggest Chip Is Hiding In Plain Sight

by Ben Jones on August 24, 2017 1:55 PM
191.jpg

Ben Jones covers Penn State football and basketball for StateCollege.com. He's on Twitter as @Ben_Jones88.

1473484_34592.jpg

Generally speaking Trace McSorley has too much on his plate to get into the perceptions surrounding the offense he's tasked with running.

You think they're throwing it to the deepest receiver? Good for you. You think Penn State is chucking up prayers? That's certainly one way to look at it.

But it doesn't mean you're right.

Following practice on Wednesday, McSorley finally got a chance to address some of those things, chief among them, offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead's passionate defense of his quarterback. One that made sure to give credit where it's due, McSorley is making the right choices, making tough throws, and doing it at a high level.

"A kid couldn't lead the league in multiple passing categories and set school single season records and be on the verge of multiple other school records if he was just throwing the ball indiscriminately down the field," Moorhead said at the time. "In a lot of ways, I feel that minimizes the role of the people who game plan the plays, the person who calls them, and the player who executes them...."

Asked about Moorhead's rant, one that lasted longer than the quote above, McSorley just smiled. He knew it was coming, because Moorhead told him he was looking for a chance to speak his mind. And he got it.

“For him, he felt like people were saying his offense is just to step back and throw it deep," McSorley said "Like, let’s call a deep shot and hope it works. How he draws up plays, he’s the best coordinator I’ve ever been around.”

“Obviously it meant a lot to me to have him go to bat for me, instill confidence in me and the whole offense. To know that your offensive coordinator’s going to put himself out there and defend everyone on the field, it’s great for the team.”

Asked if it bothered him, McSorley smiled and passed on the opportunity to go to bat for himself, a quarterback who is coming off one of the best statistical seasons in Penn State history, still having to fend off doubters.

That doesn't mean the critics don't bother him. If anything, Penn State's s biggest narrative this season is hiding in plain sight. The perception of Penn State's 2016 season is based on the belief that the Nittany Lions were the recipients of fortunate bounces.

Did Penn State get lucky? Sure. But 2017 is as much about proving that it wasn't a fluke as it is anything else, and proving that point with a bit of a chip on the shoulder. Forget the defense, forget National Title hopes, forget all of that. This offense wants to prove its renaissance wasn't a mistake.

So can they do it again? For the likes of McSorley and Moorhead, it's a foregone conclusion. One they're looking forward to proving.

"Absolutely." Moorhead said.

Reactions: T J
For the many, many Michigan fans who are critics of McSorley

Qmatic
MGoPoints: 11623
They are anticipating a 53 point swing in one year? Armpunt McSorley is gonna come crashing back down to earth.

Perkis-Size Me
MGoPoints: 28948
Hoping that's a game where the secondary has grown up plenty by then. McSorely is a guy that just throws up Hail Marys and is begging defenses to pick him off.

GhostofJermaine...
2 things
Franklin is not a good coach
McSorley is extremely over-rated, and the throw the ball up as far as you can plan will fail this year without Goodwin. Not sure who his backup is, but I could see whispers by end of year.

copacetic
MGoPoints: 10019
Factor in that most of McSorley's success last year seemed to come from 50/50 balls and hopefully those should average back out.

rcowing
MGoPoints: 2187
There are at least 10 QBs alone I'd rather have on my team. I'm more worried about playing Zaire than I am McSorley.

bacon1431
Because your defense got annihilated by every good offense you faced sans OSU, which was won in an incredibly fluky manner. And has been discussed nationally, McSorley came out on top on jump balls at an unsustainable rate last season and you have to replace your #1 receiving option.

1VaBlue1
MGoPoints: 10738
There is only one game on the schedule that truely worries me - OSU.
I also just can't get worried about Arm Punt U, led by Field Goal Franklin. White Out, or not, I think we win that convincingly...

First year, sophomore starter, and he had a better statistical season than any quarterback in Michigan's history.

Trace McSorley Stats
PASSING STATS
YEAR
2016 PSU
224 387 57.9
YARDS 3614
TDS 29

Michigan Wolverines football statistical leaders

Passing leaders.
John Navarre holds the records for passing yards in a single season (3,331), set during the 2003 season.

Passing touchdowns
Single season
Rank Player TDs Year
Elvis Grbac 25 1991

Fortunately for you, PSU is not handling those tickets, so you'll probably get them in time for the game.
Bahahaha... yup figured if nothing else the National Championship in a brand new $1.5 Billion stadium will be worth something. I mean I paid $500 less than the cheapest seat to get into Tampa last year for lower level seats

The Redskins "Hogs" of the 80s averaged about 280 with Joe Jacoby at 305 I believe. A 300 pounder who could really move was an amazing weapon in the NFL at that time.

The thought of Gonzalez at guard -- that means they have a 345-pound guard who can pull! And Bates is so athletic -- PSU could actually pull guard and tackle to run counters.

We could see some old fashioned football this year, a PSU team that can really physically wear people out. And I bet Moorhead would love to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT