ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Preseason Practice Articles/Discussion

PennLive.com

Penn State D-line coach Sean Spencer talks Lions' dynamic duo, his 'fifth man', Yetur Gross-Matos, more
Updated on Aug 16, 2017 at 07:55 PM EDT

Penn State head coach James Franklin looks on as quarterback Trace McSorley looks downfield during practice on Aug. 16, 2017. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com
Penn State defensive tackle Kevin Givens, left, is blocked by guard Michal Menet as quarterback Sean Clifford scrambles away during practice on Aug. 16, 2017. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

• more_80x80.png
By Bob Flounders | bflounders@pennlive.com

STATE COLLEGE -- Penn State defensive line coach Sean Spencer, the orchestrator of the Lions' chaos up front, met with the press following Wednesday's workout. Spencer never disappoints in his media sessions and he offered some interesting comments ...

1. Expect Spencer to use roughly 10 defensive linemen in his rotation.

The Lions are deep and there is not much drop-off between the first and second units.

"Anywhere between 9 and 10 (players),'' Spencer said. "We gotta lot of guys that can play. We gotta put them in the right situation. Certain guys are better against the run, certain guys are better against the pass. It's my job to make sure they're going to be put in the right situation.''

2. Penn State's defensive line is home to one of the most talented reserves in all of the Big Ten -- 3-technique tackle Kevin Givens.

Givens, a redshirt sophomore, can affect the game with his ability to push the pocket. He is also quick off the ball. Look for him as a pass-rusher early in games.

"I kind of look at Kevin Givens as the fifth man, so to speak,'' Spencer said. "Right away, he's going to get in the game if it's a long-yardage situation. I look at him as a fifth man.''

3. Penn State's D-line depth will make it difficult for true freshman Yetur Gross-Matos to see the field in 2017, but his time is coming soon.

"Very talented freshman, one of the most talented guys I've seen coming through here,'' Spencer said of Gross-Matos. "But he's got a long way to go.''

"He's just physically gifted,'' Spencer added. "You look at him coming off the field, you think he's a redshirt junior. He's 6-5, 250 pounds. He looks like a Greek god.''

4. The buzz surrounding PSU's younger linemen is hard to ignore, but Spencer expects a couple of veteran tackles to dominate inside.

"I'm so excited about Curtis Cothran and Parker Cothren, the Cothren brothers -- they're not related, though,'' Spencer joked.

"I'm so excited about those guys."

Actually, when Sanders was at Woody High, Central's defense was better than the one Pitt will put on the field this year. Half the D was 4 star guys. The sum total of the defense that Pitt gets onto the field against us will barely be 4 stars.

Thinking there are quite a few high school defenses that will be better than the one Pitt fields this year ...

PennLive.com

Penn State D-line coach Sean Spencer talks Lions' dynamic duo, his 'fifth man', Yetur Gross-Matos, more
Updated on Aug 16, 2017 at 07:55 PM EDT

Penn State head coach James Franklin looks on as quarterback Trace McSorley looks downfield during practice on Aug. 16, 2017. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com
Penn State defensive tackle Kevin Givens, left, is blocked by guard Michal Menet as quarterback Sean Clifford scrambles away during practice on Aug. 16, 2017. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

• email_80x80.png
  • more_80x80.png
By Bob Flounders | bflounders@pennlive.com

STATE COLLEGE -- Penn State defensive line coach Sean Spencer, the orchestrator of the Lions' chaos up front, met with the press following Wednesday's workout. Spencer never disappoints in his media sessions and he offered some interesting comments ...

1. Expect Spencer to use roughly 10 defensive linemen in his rotation.

The Lions are deep and there is not much drop-off between the first and second units.

"Anywhere between 9 and 10 (players),'' Spencer said. "We gotta lot of guys that can play. We gotta put them in the right situation. Certain guys are better against the run, certain guys are better against the pass. It's my job to make sure they're going to be put in the right situation.''

2. Penn State's defensive line is home to one of the most talented reserves in all of the Big Ten -- 3-technique tackle Kevin Givens.

Givens, a redshirt sophomore, can affect the game with his ability to push the pocket. He is also quick off the ball. Look for him as a pass-rusher early in games.

"I kind of look at Kevin Givens as the fifth man, so to speak,'' Spencer said. "Right away, he's going to get in the game if it's a long-yardage situation. I look at him as a fifth man.''

3. Penn State's D-line depth will make it difficult for true freshman Yetur Gross-Matos to see the field in 2017, but his time is coming soon.

"Very talented freshman, one of the most talented guys I've seen coming through here,'' Spencer said of Gross-Matos. "But he's got a long way to go.''

"He's just physically gifted,'' Spencer added. "You look at him coming off the field, you think he's a redshirt junior. He's 6-5, 250 pounds. He looks like a Greek god.''

4. The buzz surrounding PSU's younger linemen is hard to ignore, but Spencer expects a couple of veteran tackles to dominate inside.

"I'm so excited about Curtis Cothran and Parker Cothren, the Cothren brothers -- they're not related, though,'' Spencer joked.

"I'm so excited about those guys."

A lot of analysts said Gross Matos will be the steal and star of this recruiting class. One of those freak athletes that is chiseled out of stone and very athletic with a high motor. Going to be very hard to keep him off the field

A lot of analysts said Gross Matos will be the steal and star of this recruiting class. One of those freak athletes that is chiseled out of stone and very athletic with a high motor. Going to be very hard to keep him off the field

Unless there are injuries, I think they do it. Spencer says 9 or 10 man rotation on DL.

DT: Cothren, Cothran, Givens, Chavis, Windsor

DE: Brown, Miller, Simmons, Toney, Buchholz/Joseph.

YGM will only be kept off the field this year if our DEs generate pass rush and sacks. His name is being mentioned an extraordinary amount. It might be week 3 or 4, after things shuffle out a bit, but I don't think he will be RS'ed if he can produce.

One injury, and he's probably in. 2-3 weeks of game film evaluation, and perhaps just one player not generating pressure, he's green lighted. If he's as good as advertised, play him.

Reactions: bwifan and LionJim
Very well written and complimentary article on SB by Omaha Nebraska newspaper. Really, aren't Nebraska fans the classiest and most respectful of their opponents of all the B10 teams? Excluding PSU, of course.....

[URL]http://www.omaha.com/huskers/bigten/barfknecht-after-standout-season-penn-state-running-back-saquon-barkley/article_9b45784f-1473-5a26-87cd-de84f873b57e.html#tncms-source=article-nav-next
Hate to be a buzzkill, but he also wrote this:
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/another-loser-sports-reporter-from-omaha.121572/#post-1884957[/URL]

This is the biggest improvement from Hack to McSorley. By many measures the offensive line wasn't all that improved last year. Was in the bottom ten in the NCAA in stuff rate. Still let up a ton of pressures. McSorley was just slippery as hell, able to move around in the pocket, keep his eyes up field, pick up 3-5 yards if nothing was available.

Last edited:
You know who could be a real dominator by the end of the 2017 season for this team? Steven Gonzalez. Looking over his recruitment, URBAN, made two home visits with Steven, and we all know what a talent guru URBS is....:eek:
Plus his offer from Wisconsin. I think he is going to emerge as one of the best guards in the B1G. From Mark Wogenrich: "Gonzalez, who started three games late last season, put on a bench-press show at Penn State’s Lift For Life event, clearing 38 reps of 225 pounds. That’s three more than the top linemen did at the 2017 NFL combine."

You know who could be a real dominator by the end of the 2017 season for this team? Steven Gonzalez. Looking over his recruitment, URBAN, made two home visits with Steven, and we all know what a talent guru URBS is....:eek:
Plus his offer from Wisconsin. I think he is going to emerge as one of the best guards in the B1G. From Mark Wogenrich: "Gonzalez, who started three games late last season, put on a bench-press show at Penn State’s Lift For Life event, clearing 38 reps of 225 pounds. That’s three more than the top linemen did at the 2017 NFL combine."

Absolutely... Gonzo is 1 of those guys we all talk about up front that is a road grader. Strength is off the charts and has great size. Good game experience last in many games and I expecting him to be a big contributor and perform at a stellar level this year. Put him next to Bates and man that is 2 big talented Olinemen creating holes for Barkley to charge through...

Don't forget, amid all the talk about Steven Gonzalez's size and strength, that the same description applied to Derek Dowery last year and he was just a part-time starter. Quickness and athleticism are big factors.

Have to look at the game vs pitt as a loss now that P.Ford is believed to be eligible....

What a joke! Kid is a Safety, not an elite coverage guy. Can't wait for Hamilton to take his lunch money
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H2P333Prep
NewParís Ford plays and possibly starts against Ped State. Kid is a specimen and can line up and take their best WR out of the game having a huge impact. Ped State may likely not test him anyway if he takes out their number one.

37 H2P333, Today at 2:32 PM
Like + Quote Reply

Penn State position analysis: Linebacker
Updated: August 17, 2017 — 2:06 PM EDT

by Joe Juliano, STAFF WRITER @JoeJulesinq | jjuliano@phillynews.com
Spotlight on: Jason Cabinda

Cabinda, who has played at 245 to 250 pounds as Penn State’s middle linebacker, is down to 234 for his final season, and coach James Franklin likes Cabinda’s commitment to playing more quickly without any loss of physicality, calling him “a sideline-to-sideline guy rather than a tackle-to-tackle” guy. Cabinda’s productivity is outstanding. Even though he missed five games last season with an unspecified injury to his left hand, Cabinda finished third on the team in tackles with 81. In his first game back after the injury, he contributed 13 tackles to the upset of No. 2 Ohio State, including a sack of J.T. Barrett on the Buckeyes’ final drive. His experience, enthusiasm, leadership and knowledge of the defense are of primary importance to the Nittany Lions.

In the wings: Manny Bowen, Koa Farmer
Bowen, a junior, was fifth on the team in tackles last year with 68 and tied for second in tackles for loss with 8 1/2, with his best performance a 12-tackle night in the Ohio State upset. His season ended early, however, when he was suspended the week before the Rose Bowl for an unspecified violation of team rules. Franklin said he’s “a huge fan” of Bowen and looks for him to have another successful season.

Farmer, the only Californian on Penn State’s roster, signed with the Nittany Lions as a 200-pound safety. The redshirt junior now is a 231-pound linebacker who is learning more about blocking schemes and tackling better without sacrificing much, if any, speed. Defensive coordinator Brent Pry calls him “a great worker, and an old head out there,” a reflection of his approach to practice.

Moving on up

Coaches intended to sit Cam Brown last year in his first season on campus, but injuries at linebacker prompted coaches to rip up his redshirt during the season’s second game, against Pitt. Two weeks later, he posted 10 tackles, most by a Penn State freshman linebacker in six years. He also blocked a punt against Ohio State. In other words, the coaches though they had something in the 6-foot-5, 222-pound Brown, and think he will continue to grow into the position.

In play to play
Junior Jake Cooper (Archbishop Wood), who played in five games and missed the last six with a shoulder injury last season, is ready to return. Fifth-year senior Brandon Smith, who played in three games his first two seasons, was pressed into service and blossomed as a reliable player in the middle, and tied for the team lead in interceptions with two. Redshirt sophomores Jarvis Miller, who moved from safety to linebacker early last season, and Jan Johnson, who wrestled for Penn State in 2016, will contend for more playing time.

This is the biggest improvement from Hack to McSorley. By many measures the offensive line wasn't all that improved last year. Was in the bottom ten in the NCAA in stuff rate. Still let up a ton of pressures. McSorley was just slippery as hell, able to move around in the pocket, keep his eyes up field, pick up 3-5 yards if nothing was available.

At the college level (maybe not in the NFL) slipperiness will take you far. Feet are every bit as important as arm. Franklin gets that. Meyer gets that.

The game's a speed game, pocket QBs have less time to throw the ball every year and when they get hit in the backfield, that ends drives.

I know Clayton Thorson's a really good QB so I understand why Fitz recruited him, but geez, NW was awfully dangerous before with the Brett Basenez, Dan Persa types. Now, you focus on Justin Jackson on running plays because Thorson isn't going to hurt you with his feet, and on third and long you don't have to worry about the run at all because Thorson isn't going to run for a lot of first downs. Not picking on him, and not that stopping Northwestern is going to be at all easy.

But I think there was more to worry about when they had slippery QBs like PSU has with McSorley.

You know who could be a real dominator by the end of the 2017 season for this team? Steven Gonzalez.

I totally trust whatever lineup Limegrover puts out there, and for sure Nelson's and Mahon's experience counts a ton.

But there's a part of me that would just love to see Gonzo and Chaz Wright both out there. They're both so incredibly athletic for their size. You can move DTs around on running plays without double teams, you have the makings of something. Or imagine one of them pulling and flying into linebacker they outweigh by 100 pounds. Penn State's never had anything like these guys.

Have to look at the game vs pitt as a loss now that P.Ford is believed to be eligible....

What a joke! Kid is a Safety, not an elite coverage guy. Can't wait for Hamilton to take his lunch money
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H2P333Prep
NewParís Ford plays and possibly starts against Ped State. Kid is a specimen and can line up and take their best WR out of the game having a huge impact. Ped State may likely not test him anyway if he takes out their number one.

37 H2P333, Today at 2:32 PM
Like + Quote Reply

Uh, as you said, I guess he does not realize that Ford is a safety, not a corner.

As we learned, this is not a recipe for success in the current year.

According to MSU SID Ben Phlegar, the Spartans have 74 true freshmen/redshirt freshmen and sophomores on the roster.

That's like PSU two years ago or Ohio State last year. It happens. Maryland will be very young this year too. It just means they'll be better in 2018 and peaking in 2019 perhaps.

Reactions: LionJim
I wonder how much of this high ranking is due to their talent levels and how much is due to not having faced the PSU passing offense.

Good pt. The B1G did not have a lot of great passing offenses last year. PSU didn't have an easy time defending the two they did see -- at Indiana and USC in the Rose Bowl.

I think one of the big things in college football will be to see the impact Kevin Wilson has on the Ohio State offense. Urban Meyer is a great offensive coach but not really a passing genius. If you marry the Urban Meyer system to what Kevin Wilson does with patterns and receivers, and if the Ohio State QBs can execute -- they could be really tough because tOSU has super talented young receivers.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
Good pt. The B1G did not have a lot of great passing offenses last year. PSU didn't have an easy time defending the two they did see -- at Indiana and USC in the Rose Bowl.

I think one of the big things in college football will be to see the impact Kevin Wilson has on the Ohio State offense. Urban Meyer is a great offensive coach but not really a passing genius. If you marry the Urban Meyer system to what Kevin Wilson does with patterns and receivers, and if the Ohio State QBs can execute -- they could be really tough because tOSU has super talented young receivers.

Kevin Wilson, while being an excellent offensive mind and innovator, is not known for his passing genius either, nor his creative patterns or prolific receivers. Wilson is known as the foremost innovator of the modern spread option, with Zac Kustoc at Northwestern. His offenses were successful because of the difficulty in defending the read option, the timing of the offense, and the option pressure it put on defenses with blocking schemes, rather than any Don Coryell-like passing game innovation. This does not mean he won't be successful at Ohio State, but it should be noted that he is not considered a "quarterback whisperer" or anything of the sort.

Kevin Wilson, while being an excellent offensive mind and innovator, is not known for his passing genius either, nor his creative patterns or prolific receivers. Wilson is known as the foremost innovator of the modern spread option, with Zac Kustoc at Northwestern. His offenses were successful because of the difficulty in defending the read option, the timing of the offense, and the option pressure it put on defenses with blocking schemes, rather than any Don Coryell-like passing game innovation. This does not mean he won't be successful at Ohio State, but it should be noted that he is not considered a "quarterback whisperer" or anything of the sort.

Good to know, thanks. Maybe he won't work miracles with Barrett. I hope not. Barrett is good enough without being a super accurate passer.

PSU sure had trouble defending Richard Lagow though. And before him -- was it Sudfeld who shredded them in O'Brien's second year? That's two Kevin Wilson QBs.

With Ohio State, really, the biggest problem last year was their uncharacteristically average OL. Probably that unit will bounce back this year. But there are rumblings that there are longer term problems with the OL program at tOSU, lots of highly rated recruits have not panned out and the OL coach will be gone if things don't improve a lot this year.

Good to know, thanks. Maybe he won't work miracles with Barrett. I hope not. Barrett is good enough without being a super accurate passer.

PSU sure had trouble defending Richard Lagow though. And before him -- was it Sudfeld who shredded them in O'Brien's second year? That's two Kevin Wilson QBs.

That's two terrific NFL level passing arms who often made throws that most other D1 quarterbacks simply cannot make. Lagow, right now, is considered one of the best 3 or 4 arms in the draft for next year. Yes, Wilson could very well come in, and they could very easily be great, and right off the bat also. It could also be, that Lagow's success had more to do with Simmie Cobbs, two great offensive linemen, and a professional cannon for an arm, rather than the brilliance of Wilson's scheme, which worked with Zac Kustoc, then worked at OU, then worked with two drop back passers. Indeed, maybe that's an even bigger piece of evidence about Wilson's greatness. At the same time, this is his first year at Ohio State, and his quarterback does not resemble either Kustoc, or Lagow, or Sudfeld. I suppose the question might be, can he make it work with a qb more close to Braxton Miller than those others? And the other question, is, will this be his offense or Urbans offense? I've seen the second question answered three different ways so far and it's August 18th.

Penn State
Penn State position analysis: Wide receiver/tight end
Updated: August 18, 2017 — 1:59 PM EDT

You get the feeling that Hamilton has been around Happy Valley for a long time, and he has. The fifth-year senior WR and team leader has been solid the last two seasons after leading the Big Ten as a freshman with 82 receptions, but he had a period last year when he was a forgotten man in the Penn State offense. He had two games without a catch, including the Rose Bowl, and four more with one catch in each. But he came up clutch in the Big Ten championship game with eight receptions for 118 yards. By all accounts, Hamilton is having a terrific 2017 training camp and is ready to help fill the gap left by the departure of Chris Godwin, last year’s top receiver, to the NFL. He needs 19 receptions to set a program record for career catches.

Best in the Big Ten?
Mike Gesicki last year finally reached the lofty expectations that were expected for him when he enrolled at Penn State, setting program records at the tight-end position with 48 catches for 679 yards. His 6-foot-6, 257-pound frame and leaping ability contributed a number of highlight-reel moments. The senior has received much preseason recognition as an all-America candidate and perhaps the best at his position in the Big Ten. After considering taking a shot at the NFL draft, Gesicki is back and, with another year of work on his blocking and receiving, could be a high-round pick, if not a first-rounder.

Waiting in the wings: Juwan Johnson
At 6-4 and 227 pounds, Johnson (Glassboro), a redshirt sophomore wide receiver, has the size and speed to make an impact this season after a terrific spring capped by a seven-catch, 81-yard performance in the Blue-White Game. He caught only two balls last season, but Johnson was a valuable contributor on special teams and blocked a punt against Rutgers. He will be a candidate for extensive playing time.

[Heisman? Penn State’s Saquon Barkley is too busy to think about that]

Finding backup (WR)
Redshirt junior DeAndre Thompkins, the fastest receiver during winter workouts with a 4.34-second 40-yard dash, made seven starts last year and averaged more than 16 yards per catch. Senior Saeed Blacknall made a name for himself as a deep threat with a 23.1-yard average last season when six of his 15 receptions were for 20 or more yards, including touchdown grabs of 40 and 70 yards against Wisconsin. Redshirt sophomore Irv Charles (Paul VI) caught two passes last year, but one was an 80-yard touchdown in the season-turning overtime win over Minnesota. Brandon Polk was injured most of last season and received a medical redshirt.

Finding backup (TE)
Gesicki missed very few snaps when the Lions employed a tight end last season, but fifth-year senior Tom Pancoast took those infrequent snaps and was a rock on special teams. Sophomore Nick Bowers looked to be a promising newcomer to last year’s team before suffering an unspecified injury and sitting out the entire season. Sophomore Jonathan Holland played primarily on special teams last season, and caught a team-high eight balls in last spring’s Blue-White Game.

Read more by Joe Juliano

ADVERTISEMENT