ADVERTISEMENT

Askren's Trials Controversies

We really are an insensitive bunch here. The poor man needs some new socks and just lost out on his chance for the gold. We should really kill two birds with one stone and get a fundraiser going to get JB a dump truck load of these socks.
23567470_fpx.tif

I’ve gotten into this with Pyles and the Flo team on Twitter. As you grow it you are clearly going to be getting less traditional fans than previously. The median fan just mathematically will be dumber to the sport since the ones that are smart to it already watched it.

But they’d rather just make fun of those people. Gatekeepers and all.
Speak of the devil, just got to Basch and the people who like Penn State because they’re good are Fairweather Fans now.

Never ends with these guys.

I was thinking this morning. You know a great way Burroughs could have responded to the fan's comment about his career being over? Weigh in for day 2 and continue to wrestle the tournament out...

He would have also had an opportunity to wrestle Mesenbrink again and perhaps the match goes differently. Perhaps he doesn't retaliate to chippiness, returns to center quicker, acknowledges the crowd to thank them for their years of support, and receives a standing ovation in return. We'll never know.

Edit: Apparently Burroughs would not have wrestled Mesenbrink again, since the match would have been an unnecessary true second match. But, the point about weighing in to demonstrate that the heckler was wrong about his career being over still stands.

Last edited:
I was thinking this morning. You know a great way Burroughs could have responded to the fan's comment about his career being over? Weigh in for day 2 and continue to wrestle the tournament out...

He would have also had an opportunity to wrestle Mesenbrink again and perhaps the match goes differently. Perhaps he doesn't retaliate to chippiness, returns to center quicker, acknowledges the crowd to thank them for their years of support, and receives a standing ovation in return. We'll never know.

i'm very confused about this 74kg bracket. JB lost in the finals of the challenge tournament and beat the guy who finished 3rd (MM), so why is there a true 2nd match at all?

i guess that makes sense. i see at 97kg, it shows moore over jackson in the true 2nd match as a no contest, i assume because moore beat jackson in the quarters. does that mean moore made weight on day 2 and just didn't wrestle? i suppose he would have needed to be ready in case schultz won that 3rd place match on saturday morning, so i think it makes that moore would have needed to make weight.

but i guess my conclusion is that JB would not have wrestled MM again either way.

Yes and the reason also has nothing to do with wrestling. It is simply because PSU is dominant. Any other explanation is BS.
Just an excuse to throw shade at PSU wrestling. JB was booed heartily for poor sportsmanship at the 2023 WTT during, after and before his matches with Marstellar because of JB's cynical challenge in their first match and you didn't read anything about it. As others have said, much ado about nothing.

The real problem on Friday was Manning. The supposed adult in the room behaved like a petulant child and threw gasoline on the fire instead of trying to defuse the situation.

I'm not condoning any bad behavior by (assumed) PSU fans, but come on.

Just an excuse to throw shade at PSU wrestling. JB was booed heartily for poor sportsmanship at the 2023 WTT during, after and before his matches with Marstellar because of JB's cynical challenge in their first match and you didn't read anything about it. As others have said, much ado about nothing.

The real problem on Friday was Manning. The supposed adult in the room behaved like a petulant child and threw gasoline on the fire instead of trying to defuse the situation.

I'm not condoning any bad behavior by (assumed) PSU fans, but come on.
Agree. Just keep dominating.

A heel was booed by an opposing fanbase, wow I’ve never seen that before.

The Iowa fans constantly bringing this up is hilarious. Constantly comparing this to Iowa’s racial and throwing beer instances. Yea, totally the same.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
A heel was booed by an opposing fanbase, wow I’ve never seen that before.

The Iowa fans constantly bringing this up is hilarious. Constantly comparing this to Iowa’s racial and throwing beer instances. Yea, totally the same.
It's stupid tribalism to make certain folk feel better. Yeah, they win all the time, but they're not good people like we are. Or something stupid like that.

I think a lot of JB's attitude at the event was driven by the knowledge that he is on the downhill side of his performance curve. Nothing to really be ashamed of - it happens to everyone. Ten years ago, he was used to going out and dominating his weight class at every competition he entered. Now, the younger guys have caught up and he's losing his edge. There's nothing wrong with continuing to compete, but maybe he needs to adjust his expectations accordingly. Going forward, a better goal might be to do the best with what he still has left and be able to walk away satisfied with what he is still able to accomplish. With guys like Dake and Nolf standing in his way, expecting to win every event is just going to lead to disappointment and frustration.

I think a lot of JB's attitude at the event was driven by the knowledge that he is on the downhill side of his performance curve. Nothing to really be ashamed of - it happens to everyone. Ten years ago, he was used to going out and dominating his weight class at every competition he entered. Now, the younger guys have caught up and he's losing his edge. There's nothing wrong with continuing to compete, but maybe he needs to adjust his expectations accordingly. Going forward, a better goal might be to do the best with what he still has left and be able to walk away satisfied with what he is still able to accomplish. With guys like Dake and Nolf standing in his way, expecting to win every event is just going to lead to disappointment and frustration.
Good point.

Would Burroughs have wrestled again though?

Burroughs made the finals of the challenge tournament. He had already beaten the wrestler that took 3rd in the challenge tournament. There typically wouldn’t be a rematch; true 2nd in the challenge tournament was established by them already wrestling.

Reactions: Chris Watts
Would Burroughs have wrestled again though?

Burroughs made the finals of the challenge tournament. He had already beaten the wrestler that took 3rd in the challenge tournament. There typically wouldn’t be a rematch; true 2nd in the challenge tournament was established by them already wrestling.

burroughs would not have wrestled mesenbrink again, but he needed to weigh in just in case jacques, monday, or berger (and maybe lockett/marinelli but i don't remember when those guys were eliminated) took third, since he did not beat those guys.

I agree with El, my vocal displeasure during the MM vs JB match was as much of a displeasure to the ref as to JB and his socks. JB talked about it during NCAAs broadcast when Cormier brought it up.

I also think MM, with the exception of the hard club early on was just wrestling hard and to be expected. He is coming at you, buckle up.

As to the crowd/fans, I don't blame any inappropriate action on alcohol, I blame it on being forced to watch match after match of Greco.

Rules are enacted due to actions that ruling bodies no longer want to see occur. In folk we have the danger rule due the over use of the funk to stop takedowns. The hands to the face rule for obvious reasons. Can JB cause socks to be banned? ;)

Yep, it's not like they much positive news to talk about.
Well, we have a LOT of positive to talk about: 4 Olympians including RBY, with a world champ trying to become the 5th; great efforts by our guys who didn't win it; and a bunch of our recruits about to storm their age group brackets.

And yet here we are fixated on the negative.

That's mostly a size thing since he's currently pretty severely underweight for a top heavy, but I'm not really worried about that.
Nobody doubts he needs to add size.

Some are claiming he never will. I know. At sone point you'd think Cael would've earned the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Hotshoe
No this has always been his attitude , even in high school he was dick and was borderline with his clubs and headbutts and he’s been a sore loser his whole career, then after he won the Olympics and started taking pictures on thrones wearing crowns his narcissism took over. He truely believes everyone should cheer, bow down and respect him…you can see the tweet he put out after trials in 15 where he said everyone who rooted against him should be ashamed on themselves because of what he’s accomplished ….funny thing to add all these clowns talking about “disrespecting a legend” were all laughing and sharing the video of Ragusin calling John smith a “whiney F***ing Bi*ch” at ncaas .. where is willies rant about that ? Why isn’t he calling out all 14 Michigan wrestling fans for sharing and promoting that? And that’s actual an athlete whose still competing now not just some random unconnected fan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT