ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Preseason Practice Articles/Discussion

Yeah, but one thing to remember is that if OSU beats PSU in Columbus, then for us to get to Indianapolis, Ohio State is going to have to lose two other B1G games. That's just not going to happen.

Eh. Who would have guessed Michigan would have lost to Iowa a week after we blasted them.

Barrett averaged 113 yards passing his last 3 games of last season. I need to see their passing attack excel before I just assume they are going to be some unstoppable force.

Everyone is also assuming everything will change with Kevin Wilson coming on board. Ohio State is still running Urban Meyer's offense. When Wilson came in, HE had to learn THEIR terminology, playbook, etc. They asked Barrett in the spring what had changed about the offense and he said "Not much." Now, they may use tempo more, Wilson will have his wrinkles. But I think people are overstating how much of an effect he's going to have.

Yeah, but one thing to remember is that if OSU beats PSU in Columbus, then for us to get to Indianapolis, Ohio State is going to have to lose two other B1G games. That's just not going to happen.
Yeah, though I think there is a decent chance PSU drops the game in Columbus, but wins the rest to finish an 11-1 regular season. And, yes, tOSU would win a tiebreaker if they finish with only one conference loss. Does an 11-1 PSU team makes the playoffs even without going to the conference title game?

Well, it's all speculation at this point. Can't wait for the season to start. :)

Reactions: T J
2016 was a magical year. It will be difficult to replicate. The 2017 team will be exciting. The season will have its highlights and lowlights ( much more of the former than the latter). Let's hope no player has a major injury. Let's climb on the train and enjoy the ride!

Reactions: 81b&w and searay26
What's the rule on 3 way ties? Say PSU loses to OSU, OSU loses to Michigan and PSU beats Michigan.

Yeah, though I think there is a decent chance PSU drops the game in Columbus, but wins the rest to finish an 11-1 regular season. And, yes, tOSU would win a tiebreaker if they finish with only one conference loss. Does an 11-1 PSU team makes the playoffs even without going to the conference title game?

Well, it's all speculation at this point. Can't wait for the season to start. :)
Let's see what osu does against Indiana and Oklahoma to see what sort of chance we have.

What's the rule on 3 way ties? Say PSU loses to OSU, OSU loses to Michigan and PSU beats Michigan.

Get real. If it's between us and Michigan and Ohio State, no matter how we all got there, Delany will make sure we are a distant 3rd.

I get the whole love fest for Meyer and his Buckeyes. He has won everywhere he's coached and he recruits talent at an 'Bamaesque level.

What I don't get is this ridiculous mantra that "Penn State won't sneak up on anybody this year" or "Now Penn State will become the hunted, not the hunter." Total BS, IMO.

Last year, if opposing DCs refused to watch film of McSorley & Crew going deep or of Saquon taking it home, then as Millen would say, "That's on them." Especially after the OSU game, every opponent should have brought its A game against the Lions. I'd say that the fact that most of our opponents took early leads on PSU indicates that the Lions did NOT "sneak up" on them.

This argument about "the target is now on Penn State's back" is also incredibly typical media nonsense. All successful teams have the metaphorical target on their backs. Heck, the way the Big Ten has treated PSU since 1989's invitation, I'd guess that target has always been on Penn State's back. Penn State hasn't really been Colorado, despite the NCAA/BigTen's efforts. The Lions are not coming off a decade of 3-9 seasons to suddenly win the league title.

My take -- cynical, I admit -- is that the media morons like Farrell, Herbstreit, etc. recognize Meyer's history as the games best (or 2nd best, for those who like Saban better) head coach and figure OSU is the safe pick. But how does one pick against the defending league champion that returns 15 starters and all but 1 NFL-level player from last year's squad? Easiest answer is the BS talking points.

The best answer to all this talk will begin Saturday.

I get the whole love fest for Meyer and his Buckeyes. He has won everywhere he's coached and he recruits talent at an 'Bamaesque level.

What I don't get is this ridiculous mantra that "Penn State won't sneak up on anybody this year" or "Now Penn State will become the hunted, not the hunter." Total BS, IMO.

Last year, if opposing DCs refused to watch film of McSorley & Crew going deep or of Saquon taking it home, then as Millen would say, "That's on them." Especially after the OSU game, every opponent should have brought its A game against the Lions. I'd say that the fact that most of our opponents took early leads on PSU indicates that the Lions did NOT "sneak up" on them.

This argument about "the target is now on Penn State's back" is also incredibly typical media nonsense. All successful teams have the metaphorical target on their backs. Heck, the way the Big Ten has treated PSU since 1989's invitation, I'd guess that target has always been on Penn State's back. Penn State hasn't really been Colorado, despite the NCAA/BigTen's efforts. The Lions are not coming off a decade of 3-9 seasons to suddenly win the league title.

My take -- cynical, I admit -- is that the media morons like Farrell, Herbstreit, etc. recognize Meyer's history as the games best (or 2nd best, for those who like Saban better) head coach and figure OSU is the safe pick. But how does one pick against the defending league champion that returns 15 starters and all but 1 NFL-level player from last year's squad? Easiest answer is the BS talking points.

I agree...we've played tOSU tough. In fact, we've got as good a record against tOSU as anyone. Certainly better than UM, Iowa and MSU. It is a really tough assignment, going into the 'shoe and winning, but that is what one must do to win championships. Bring it on. Win or lose, the buckeyes will know they've been in a ball game.

BTW, one of the kids that was vying for the backup QB job is lost for the year. Barrett's backup with be a RS freshman.

Awesome post and well thought out.

Reactions: Limestone_Lion

Well, tOSU is there year in and year out. So that is why the media favors them...half don't watch the games anyway.

Bugs me on "the way they won; on a special teams play", PSU gave tOSU their first ten points yet nobody talks about that. Also bugs me that we have more returning starters than tOSU and nobody talks about that either.

Ultimately, nothing matters but the results. Even if we were favored, we'd still have to go into the Shoe and win. Nothing that any of these guys says will affect the outcome of any game we play; only JF and the boys will do that.

Just win, baby. Victory will all that much sweeter when the talking heads are humiliated again, like last year.

Reactions: OhioLion and bdgan
2016 was a magical year. It will be difficult to replicate. The 2017 team will be exciting. The season will have its highlights and lowlights ( much more of the former than the latter). Let's hope no player has a major injury. Let's climb on the train and enjoy the ride!

Agree 100%. My fear is that if we stumble to a 10-2 or 9-3 season are people going to be upset?? Depending on the losses I would still be very satisfied with a 9-3 campaign

Get real. If it's between us and Michigan and Ohio State, no matter how we all got there, Delany will make sure we are a distant 3rd.
I don't think a 3 way tie would be settled based on how Delaney feels at the moment. I was hoping someone might know the answer to my Q. I'll look it up.

And if PSU beats OSU in Columbus, PSU would have to lose two other B1G games for OSU to get to Indianapolis. That's just not going to happen.

Agree 100%. My fear is that if we stumble to a 10-2 or 9-3 season are people going to be upset?? Depending on the losses I would still be very satisfied with a 9-3 campaign
11-1 would be get us in the playoff hunt. 10-2 would still be a great year. If we slip to 9-3 we'll get an easier bowl game and reach 10 wins anyway (IMO).

as Millen would say, "That's on them."
There's nothing like a "that's on them" quote to get me fired up for some college football. All I need now is an 8x10 glossy of Beth Mowins, some hand cream and a couple minutes of alone time and I'll be in mid season form!

Reactions: ralphster
There's nothing like a "that's on them" quote to get me fired up for some college football. All I need now is an 8x10 glossy of Beth Mowins, some hand cream and a couple minutes of alone time and I'll be in mid season form!
By board rules, technically that draws a flag. But I don't think you'll find anybody here that isn't grateful for deliberate lack of a picture on that one...

Dude, he can't even bring himself to say our name out loud. He could have campaigned for us last year, and he didn't. He didn't even pay lip service to campaigning for us. He despises us. If there is any way, any way at all, that he can **** us, he will.

Yeah and the same thing worked for Beano Cook for about 20 years when we had Paterno. Urban is the best coach in our league until he isn't. You have a winning horse, you bet him. It isn't rocket science.

Not enough attention has been paid to how much better our special teams will be due to our great recruiting. It's great that we're no longer covering kicks with walk-ons, but rather with young 4-star recruits. That is going to make an enormous difference moving forward.

The 2017 Practice Video was outstanding. It wasn't coach speak when CJF said how intensely they've been working. Getting older, to a fault maybe I try not to be over confident, but damn is this a good looking team!

ADVERTISEMENT