ADVERTISEMENT

Hofstra Match Thread

Yes….we all know the real classic v Nebraska. Nothing will ever match that one. Ever.

Stallmate, square up, turnaround.

Yeah, I watched the replay after I got home last night. It was bad, but not Nebraska 2012 bad. That was an all-time classic.

Reactions: yekrut321
s
What surprised me was the effort in the first period. He looked like Cater was drilling on a mat dummy. Not an ounce of defense. Nothing. Not even a little. Fail, but try. You might pull a Todrank.
No gusto at all! That kid was petrified! Carter wrestles a lot like Larry Johnson used to run. It’s all business and no nonsense. Except for other elite wrestlers, … going up against Carter has to be a fearsome experience. No no …. no Todrank dances for Carter.

I think "go for the gusto" will have some staying power here--maybe not as long as "illegal fist to the back" but years, all the same, I'd guess.

That said, I hope these new kids can develop a taste for, and understanding of the sport they're calling. I enjoy hearing the student announcers get better. The last batch were quite good by the time they were seniors. Hopefully this set has some time to develop. I think it's great the PSU dominance brand recruits new superfans of the sport, and expect nothing less with this crop. They just need to spend some time w/ Byers "in the room" lol.

Reactions: Folkstylefan
This is my understanding.

Personally, they shouldn't count. If they did, coaches like Dresser would do whatever necessary to "game" the system.
Very true.

That transpired in ‘21 when they allowed “extra matches” after the starters were done. I think they did away with that altogether.

Way back when I was in college, there was an interesting type of headgear that was popular. They were soft and covered with a terry cloth material. I thought they were quite comfortable and maybe better than the headgear used today.
I didn’t realize they had headgear that far back

My son and I had our first experience in Rec Hall yesterday. It was awesome. Just never had the chance to go up before. I am glad we did, and it certainly wont be the last time. He is a wrestler and really enjoyed himself. Favorite quote of his during walkouts, " Dad, who is that dorky guy with the glasses?" "Well, son. He is a current world champion!" "oh, ok" HAHAHAHAHa, kids.

My son and I had our first experience in Rec Hall yesterday. It was awesome. Just never had the chance to go up before. I am glad we did, and it certainly wont be the last time. He is a wrestler and really enjoyed himself. Favorite quote of his during walkouts, " Dad, who is that dorky guy with the glasses?" "Well, son. He is a current world champion!" "oh, ok" HAHAHAHAHa, kids.
And psychotic, according to Starocci.

I fully understand why people say, "it doesn't matter at 174, 197 and HWT", but I'd still prefer for those guys to get the #1 at NCAAs for any number of reasons. It would be nice if they could all get an RPI, although I'm not sure we're going to see it with Brooks and Kerk, not sure about Starocci. On the other hand, since Nevills left, it doesn't seem that we have a true HWT backup either, so it makes more sense for Kerk to go in all of the duals than it might for Brooks.
It matters for my NCAA pool. You can only take 2 #1 seeds. If those guys aren't #1, everyone will take the same wrestlers and ruin the pool.
Let's focus on what's really important!

get announcers that know something anything about wrestling!
In the past they have simply added Jeff's radio commentary to the video link. That was very satisfying!

Let the kids get their experience with sports that they understand.

In the past they have simply added Jeff's radio commentary to the video link. That was very satisfying!

Who grades them (besides us obviously). Seriously are they being graded? Im guessing the professor doesnt know jack shit about wrestling either.

Pretty sure we've had student announcers since BTN+ became a thing. You do get Jeff on some of the non-TV broadcasts, but that's typically been non-conference opponents, and earlier in the fall semester (or during breaks in classes).

I think it's a tremendous opportunity for Comm students in general. But they should have some kind of boot camp at a minimum before putting them on the mic.

These are the only exceptions I found from the NCAA Selection Criteria document I posted on the previous page: "Must have 15-Division I Matches at the designated weight class on the NCAA Division I Starters page to have a calculated RPI. Forfeits and medical forfeits are excluded from the 15-match count. Injury defaults do count towards the 15-match minimum."

I got to listen to the B1G+ broadcast after the match and it was equal parts funny and painful. There's certainly a skill in being able to fill dead air with BS when you genuinely don't have a clue, which accuratley describes the entire broadcast, but it's still contemptuous by BTN of the sport that they feel they can throw two kids out there who'd never seen a match.

It was nice to see the new additions to the lineup go out and get points and pins. Hofstra doesn't have a particuilarly competitive lineup at the moment but our guys mostly did what they were supposed to. Davis is promising and fun to watch despite looking looking like a 9th grader.

Some of my photos accompany the recap on Black Shoe Diaries by SWHA, and the rest are here on Flickr.

I fully understand why people say, "it doesn't matter at 174, 197 and HWT", but I'd still prefer for those guys to get the #1 at NCAAs for any number of reasons. It would be nice if they could all get an RPI, although I'm not sure we're going to see it with Brooks and Kerk, not sure about Starocci. On the other hand, since Nevills left, it doesn't seem that we have a true HWT backup either, so it makes more sense for Kerk to go in all of the duals than it might for Brooks.
It doesn’t matter for that wrestler….sure. But it does hurt other wrestlers that may have earned an allocation spot.
I didn’t realize they had headgear that far back
they didn’t.

But they did have……tights.

Reactions: billrag

Or better yet, require them to research and know the rules and terminology before getting on air. Doing research and prep for a broadcast should be a basic requirement.

Or better yet, require them to research and know the rules and terminology before getting on air. Doing research and prep for a broadcast should be a basic requirement.
mucho-gusto-3-17691.gif

Match highlights... don't you dare turn the volume down.

Thanks, I must have missed some of the PBP highlights on the board.

I didn't realize so many takedowns and escapes had been "nabbed" during the dual. Nonetheless, I believe nabbing escapes to stay in a match is a losing strategy.

Glad to learn that In the first round of a bout, one can either feel out or come out "guns a blazin'." But eventually, as Levi says, "Sometimes you have to give up a point to get a point."

Thanks, I must have missed some of the PBP highlights on the board.

I didn't realize so many takedowns and escapes had been "nabbed" during the dual. Nonetheless, I believe nabbing escapes to stay in a match is a losing strategy.

Glad to learn that In the first round of a bout, one can either feel out or come out "guns a blazin'." But eventually, as Levi says, "Sometimes you have to give up a point to get a point."

People make wrestling too difficult. All you need to do is shoot the leg, press down and flip them over.

On balance we were lucky. Imagine had it been freestyle, grappling or jujitsu? As humorous as they were, if your honest, you have to admit they were lightyears ahead of those jokers from Nebraska. The was some SNL level stuff, right there.

The big question for every dual meet going forward is whether the team will "go for the gusto".

On balance we were lucky. Imagine had it been freestyle, grappling or jujitsu? As humorous as they were, if your honest, you have to admit they were lightyears ahead of those jokers from Nebraska. The was some SNL level stuff, right there.
I watched the condensed version on BTN and gotta say, even though they clearly had no knowledge of even the most basic wrestling terminology, like, maybe even "single leg", the Nebraska guys were 10 times worse.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
so how many stalls were called on HOFSTRA, how many should they really have had?
The one thing I really can't abide at matches are the fans constantly calling for stalling on the opponent and not applying the same standards to their own wrestlers. I don't think I'd enjoy being at Carver.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT