ADVERTISEMENT

Hofstra Match Thread

8303626583_2021d31dd6_c.jpg

It seems to me, who is only reading this thread and not watching or listening, that this match eclipses the Ed Ruth-Nebraska match. This will be remembered for years, if not centuries.

Reactions: okinburg1
Who are the two sophomore sports journalism majors doing commentary on Big Ten plus?

It's ;like they've never seen a wrestling match before.

Ok I’ve read this thread but did not listen to or watch the dual. I have no clue what happened today. I assume that PSU won. Could someone please post a simple summary, or should I wait for Willie and the po boys to post the results?

Ok I’ve read this thread but did not listen to or watch the dual. I have no clue what happened today. I assume that PSU won. Could someone please post a simple summary, or should I wait for Willie and the po boys to post the results?
125Braeden Davis (Penn State) over Dylan Acevedo-Switzer (Hofstra) (MD 11-2)40
133Aaron Nagao (Penn State) over Ryan Arbeit (Hofstra) (TF 21-6 4:20)50
141David Evans (Penn State) over Alex Turley (Hofstra) (TF 19-4 6:13)50
149Noah Tapia (Hofstra) over Connor Pierce(Penn State) (MD 11-2)04
157Levi Haines (Penn State) over Dylan Zenion (Hofstra) (Fall 1:02)60
165Mitchell Mesenbrink (Penn State) over Matt Waddell (Hofstra) (Fall 1:24)60
174Carter Starocci (Penn State) over Eric Shindel (Hofstra) (TF 19-3 5:38)50
184Bernie Truax (Penn State) over Will Conlon (Hofstra) (Fall 1:51)60
197Aaron Brooks (Penn State) over Nikolas Miller (Hofstra) (Fall 4:22)60
285Keaton Kluever (Hofstra) over AJ Fricchione (Penn State) (Fall 4:32)06
Team Score:4310

125: Davis by Major. 11-2
133: Nagao Tech Fall. 2nd pd.
141: Evans got the start; won by Tech Fall. 3rd pd.
149: Pierce got the start. Lost by Major. 11-2.
157: Levi by Fall. 1st pd.
165: Messenbrink by Fall. 1st period.
174: CStar by Tech Fsll. 3rd pd.
184: Truax by Fall. 1st pd.
197: AB by Fall. 2nd pd.
285: Fricchione got the start. Lost by Fall. 2nd pd.

43-10

Thanks for the summaries but now I’m beginning to worry. We’ve had two duals so far and we haven’t been able to hold the other teams to single digit scores. GIA is already predicting a big upset in CHA. Is it time to push the panic button? 🤔

I don't think the box score describes the dual as much as these two things:

1. Gusto was gone for
2. Guys were put to bed

Will our guys have enough matches for seeding at nationals? I remember that happened last year with Brooks

Will our guys have enough matches for seeding at nationals? I remember that happened last year with Brooks
Good question. I could see them continuing to rest Brooks now and then since it wouldn't matter where he's seeded. I could say the same for Starocci and Kerk too. I'd guess Cael will make sure everybody else gets the matches they need.

If you can find it, Mesenbrink gave a spectacular interview to Ironhead after winning the Ridge Riley Award.

All they have to do is get at least two upsets between 157, 174, 197 and HWT.
I would add 165 to that list too. Don’t forget that we have a psycho at that spot, and psychos, by nature, are unpredictable.

Reactions: RB-Old
43-10 utter destruction w/ Pins from 157. 65, 184 and 197. All 8 PSU wins w/ bonus.
Fricchione was pinned at HWT (and looked outweighed by 60 pounds) and Connor Pierce dropped a major at 149. Davis looked like the man at 125.

If you had Big 10+ on and only listed to the audio, you'd still have no clue. Good grief, Adrianna and Gusto got scores wrong, described Nagao's win as a 180 from his decision loss last week and kept making up words like gusto. Not recognizing scores.. it was like the high school AV club Took over.

I tuned in late or I'd have muted theses two and listened to Byers on radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Split shot
43-10 utter destruction w/ Pins from 157. 65, 184 and 197. All 8 PSU wins w/ bonus.
Fricchione was pinned at HWT (and looked outweighed by 60 pounds) and Connor Pierce dropped a major at 149. Davis looked like the man at 125.

If you had Big 10+ on and only listed to the audio, you'd still have no clue. Good grief, Adrianna and Gusto got scores wrong, described Nagao's win as a 180 from his decision loss last week and kept making up words like gusto. Not recognizing scores.. it was like the high school AV club Took over.

I tuned in late or I'd have muted theses two and listened to Byers on radio.
I agree, they surely do have some issues. However, they are light years ahead of FLO.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Who are the two sophomore sports journalism majors doing commentary on Big Ten plus?

It's ;like they've never seen a wrestling match before.
you could be right about their experience level.

They gave their names, and they have profiles on LinkedIn. The woman’s specialty is ice hockey and the guy announces for 14 different sports. I guess at the end of the day, they are somebody’s kids and they were doing their best.

They gave their names, and they have profiles on LinkedIn. The woman’s specialty is ice hockey and the guy announces for 14 different sports. I guess at the end of the day, they are somebody’s kids and they were doing their best.
The infamous Illegal Fist to the Back match was nearly 12 years ago (Feb 2012).

BTN and the individual schools (in this case, PSU College of Communications) are at fault -- 12 years is more than enough time to figure out how to better train the students, if BTN and the schools even think that's important.

Which is a real shame for the students, because this cannot possibly help them with future employers.

I don't think anybody was making fun of them, most wrestling fans understand that hardly anybody knows about the sport. I recently got into an argument with a guy who told me that wrestling is a submission sport. He kept talking about "tapping out" and when I told him the object was to pin or outscore your opponent he treated me like I was a no-nothing moron.

The infamous Illegal Fist to the Back match was nearly 12 years ago (Feb 2012).

BTN and the individual schools (in this case, PSU College of Communications) are at fault -- 12 years is more than enough time to figure out how to better train the students, if BTN and the schools even think that's important.

Which is a real shame for the students, because this cannot possibly help them with future employers.
Future employers won't be watching wrestling commentary, they'll be watching sports they understand. Hell, if the average local tv station were to see today's tape they'd probably think they did a great job.

I don't think anybody was making fun of them, most wrestling fans understand that hardly anybody knows about the sport. I recently got into an argument with a guy who told me that wrestling is a submission sport. He kept talking about "tapping out" and when I told him the object was to pin or outscore your opponent he treated me like I was a no-nothing moron.
In fairness, he probably only saw the RBY-DeSanto match.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT